Planer board rods

Author
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/16 09:59:53 (permalink)

Planer board rods

What do you guys like to use for planer board rods? I have 3 different types I'm using now, but I want to switch to 6 of the same rod so I can have the same action on all of them.

10 Replies Related Threads

eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/16 12:14:13 (permalink)
    I have 8 okuma 7'"6 med light rigger rods. No complaints here. It is nice to have all the same action so you can compare them. They are very reasonable too, no sense spending a bunch of money on trolling rods.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/16 20:36:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyedreamn

I have 8 okuma 7'"6 med light rigger rods. No complaints here.

+1

1MOFISH
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/17 09:13:16 (permalink)
    it all depends on the "program" your running penn 209 combos fit every "program" from harnesses dipsys, jets,riggers,long line etc line counters are the best tool but expensive, longer rods help with the "dance" with multiple hook ups hope it helps
    GOD BLESS
    mo
    ORIGINAL: freshwaterdrumR

What do you guys like to use for planer board rods? I have 3 different types I'm using now, but I want to switch to 6 of the same rod so I can have the same action on all of them.

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/17 09:38:08 (permalink)
    Standardization is always good and will help out with recognition of something is happening in your spread. Its funny you mentioned "action" in your post.. I have one dipsy rod that is different part number, i.e. slower action (looks identical) rod than my others and I can tell immediately when it gets put out which one it is.. Your rods will speak to you and its always good to have the same set ups running similar presentations..

Nothing to add here really, just thought I'd share something that happened to me. I did break two rod tips last fall while unloading the boat in the barn.. Gotta replace the Okuma Blue diamond rods.. They didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. **** grips started spinning on the blank.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/17 09:43:14 (permalink)
    Hate the gear ratio on the 209's, but for the price, the 209LC's ain't bad. Sucks that they moved production to China on them too. Hard to find much fishing gear made here in the U.S.
    post edited by Blowchowski - 2012/03/17 20:09:06

1MOFISH
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/17 20:26:40 (permalink)
    i agree if you got the bux and experience the best is always the best planer fishin other than draggin meat"crawler harnesses"is no finese its hard pulls trollin and draggin in the fish bums excluded which a light action rod would indicate one was hangin on, erie is always rockin one thought the light action rods you could use lighter tension releases if you was finesesin shallow silver with small stick baits there goes the need for mo' rods
    GOD BLESS
    mo
    ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

Hate the gear ratio on the 209's, but for the price, the 209LC's ain't bad. Sucks that they moved production to China on them too. Hard to find much fishing gear made here in the U.S.

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/19 11:12:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

Standardization is always good and will help out with recognition of something is happening in your spread. Its funny you mentioned "action" in your post.. I have one dipsy rod that is different part number, i.e. slower action (looks identical) rod than my others and I can tell immediately when it gets put out which one it is.. Your rods will speak to you and its always good to have the same set ups running similar presentations..

Nothing to add here really, just thought I'd share something that happened to me. I did break two rod tips last fall while unloading the boat in the barn.. Gotta replace the Okuma Blue diamond rods.. They didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. **** grips started spinning on the blank.

That sucks on the blue diamond rods, I was looking at either them or the convector rods, but i think i will just stick with the okuma classic and use the money I save to buy some new rod holders.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/19 16:06:45 (permalink)
    I am just the opposite of Blowchowski...
    I do not think there is a better "all-around" planer board rod than the Okuma Blue Diamonds. They handle everything from tiny baits for steelhead, leadcore, RR's + 6oz., lil dipseys etc..
    Our rods(BD's) have caught thousands of fish and I have only seen 1 break...and that was due to mate error. They get dropped on the floor, kicked, whacked off the hard top, hit with plugs, leaned on, etc. and they keep on going.
    I've never had an issue with reel seats spinning either. Not once.
    I have seen many JBI, Diawa, Browning and especially Ugly Sticks get broken. I have never seen a Shimano broken either but I havent been around them much.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/19 17:36:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

I am just the opposite of Blowchowski...
    I do not think there is a better "all-around" planer board rod than the Okuma Blue Diamonds. They handle everything from tiny baits for steelhead, leadcore, RR's + 6oz., lil dipseys etc..
    Our rods(BD's) have caught thousands of fish and I have only seen 1 break...and that was due to mate error. They get dropped on the floor, kicked, whacked off the hard top, hit with plugs, leaned on, etc. and they keep on going.
    I've never had an issue with reel seats spinning either. Not once.
    I have seen many JBI, Diawa, Browning and especially Ugly Sticks get broken. I have never seen a Shimano broken either but I havent been around them much.

Ironhed

Agreed.  I think I have around 20 Okuma Blue Diamond rods ranging from 10' dipsey rods to 7 1/2 rigger/planer rods.  I have never broken a rod, but I had an issue several years ago where two 7 1/2 rigger rods lost the golden ferrule insert at the same place on both rods.  Other than that example they've performed flawlessly and better than other rods I've owned that cost two or three times as much.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Planer board rods 2012/03/21 11:23:41 (permalink)
    Overall, I have to say the O BD's have worked well. But two of them have had the seats spin. I've had to put a small screw thru the seat into the blank. These are the tri-grip rods..

Hmmmm.. may have to take another look at them....

Jump to: