• Reward points: 0
2007/04/10 01:24:41 (permalink)

Fish Cleaning

I recently made my first trip to Erie for steelhead and was fortunate to
land a few.  After one catches his steelies, how does one legally clean
his/her fish?  There are no fish cleaning stations around Erie, other than
Poor Richards, and who wants to run there and pay to have every fish
cleaned?  Are we to clean our fish in the local motel bathtub or risk
being caught cleaning our fish streamside?  Suggestions are welcome...

Loon
Tight lines and screaming reels
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralPaTrout/

41 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 01:30:00 (permalink)
    You can clean them streamside, you just have to take everything home with you.

Actually I think the law is, you can gut them streamside and take the guts with you. I believe everything else has to remain intact until you get home.  In other words, you can't fillet them streamside.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2007/04/10 01:31:35
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 01:35:46 (permalink)
    Right, again, what are out of town people to do with fish guts and heads?  Get thrown out of
    out of the motel for bringing that stuff back with us and placing it in their garbage for someone
    to complain about?  If we throw it in their dumpster we could be arrested for  theft of services...

Any more quality suggestions?

Loon
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 01:37:58 (permalink)
    OK,  I'm not going home for three days.  Do I want to leave the head and gills on to collect bacteria
    and spoil my fish?  I don't think so... 

Loon
    trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 01:45:42 (permalink)
    "  Are we to clean our fish in the local motel bathtub"

lol, everyone else does.

use the dumpsters located on PFBC property. thats what they're for.
    3 days? use lots of ice...
    trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 01:50:39 (permalink)
    head and gills, cut them off and place in seperate bags. keep them till you get home. after that, bury them in your garden and plant some tomatoes. you'll have steelmatoes in a few months.
    don't eat these more than once a month though...

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 06:55:15 (permalink)
    I was in Olcott, NY a few years back salmon fishing. We got a room in this little hotel that catered to fisherman that time of year. After a hard days fishing we returned to the hotel and walked by one of the other rooms that had fisherman staying there. You could see in their room and these guys had the bathtub full of salmon. 20 -30 lb fish they had eggs and salmon semen all over the place. must have been 15-20 fish in there. Sure wouldn't want to have to clean out the ring in that tub.
       Not knowing about the spewing properties of spawning salmon. I stood in the parking lot getting my picture taken while holding a 28lb male salmon. Little did I know he was loosing weight very quickly he was dumping his load down the front of me and my waders..And you know how fishing partners are didn't say a word and even got me to pose for some extra shots..Thanks Finn...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 07:54:23 (permalink)
    What I've come up w/ is. I'll open up and lay out a lg plastic garbage bag and clean the fish and/or fillet them on the bag. Once your done cleaning them you then lift the bag and the parts slip to the bottom of the bag and you tie it off. You can leave the bag in the back of a pickup(thats what I happen to have) and dispose of a couple days later w/ very little oder this time of the yr.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: Loon10

I recently made my first trip to Erie for steelhead and was fortunate to
    land a few.  After one catches his steelies, how does one legally clean
    his/her fish?  There are no fish cleaning stations around Erie, other than
    Poor Richards, and who wants to run there and pay to have every fish
    cleaned?  Are we to clean our fish in the local motel bathtub or risk
    being caught cleaning our fish streamside?  Suggestions are welcome...

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 08:30:07 (permalink)
    Its a shame that we have to think of alternative ways and tactics for cleaning fish on the run.  Bottom line is that we need to have more fish cleaning stations at boat ramps and public waterways where fishing is prevalent.  Anytime I go to other states or to the coast, there are always nice fish cleaning stations with dumpsers available to throw away waste.  I have yet to see one in PA!  One of the nicest ones I've seen was at the Lower Niagara River at Lewiston, NY.  A public fish cleaning house with a running spray gun and huge grinder shoot which grinds up and disposes of the fish carcasses. 

While we're on this subject, check out one of these.....I'm buying one!  Click below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280006696546&rd=1&rd=1  
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/10 08:32:00

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 09:12:49 (permalink)
    If I were keeping fish and planned on staying in Erie for multiple days, I'd pay a few bucks and take advantage of the wonderful service at poor richards. Just drop them off there, tell them what you want done, and ask them to keep them in the cooler until you came to get them.  No more hassle dealing with fish the rest of your trip.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 09:27:11 (permalink)
    To add my 2 cents, I'd look at the components of that set up and make my own for a lot less money. You can cut a hole in any plastic cutting board and add a spackle bucket for next to nothing. The mounting is easy, a couple of large angle brackets bolted to the board and strapped to a tree or fence or screwed in permanent.
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Its a shame that we have to think of alternative ways and tactics for cleaning fish on the run.  Bottom line is that we need to have more fish cleaning stations at boat ramps and public waterways where fishing is prevalent.  Anytime I go to other states or to the coast, there are always nice fish cleaning stations with dumpsers available to throw away waste.  I have yet to see one in PA!  One of the nicest ones I've seen was at the Lower Niagara River at Lewiston, NY.  A public fish cleaning house with a running spray gun and huge grinder shoot which grinds up and disposes of the fish carcasses. 

While we're on this subject, check out one of these.....I'm buying one!  Click below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280006696546&rd=1&rd=1  
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 09:33:10 (permalink)
    Filleting my own fish is not a hassel to me.  Some people would rather do their own.  Besides, thats a pretty lame excuse not to have fish cleaning stations available to the public on a major fishery like Lake Erie and tributaries.

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 10:04:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Filleting my own fish is not a hassel to me.  Some people would rather do their own.  Besides, thats a pretty lame excuse not to have fish cleaning stations available to the public on a major fishery like Lake Erie and tributaries.

What is a lame excuse?    I'm confused.
    glenp
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 12:32:39 (permalink)
    If I keep steelhead, I gut them, put the waste in a bag and keep it in the cooler on ice with the fish until I can dispose of them (usually in a PFBC dumpster or at a conveneince store trash can). 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 12:50:23 (permalink)
    The last time I was at Olcott, they charged a fee for the use of the cleaning station. Cleaning stations at Walnut, and Northeast marinas would be a great addition. Bringing it up for discussion here is fine, but an e-mail to John Simmons of the PF&BC, would serve to you better.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 12:54:50 (permalink)
    pay the $2 or whatever it is. Then they will keep the fish in the freezer for you untill you go home. $2 is nothing for someone to clean a fish in seconds.
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 12:58:46 (permalink)
    If you catch a limit a Follys, do you really want to run to Poor Richards, especially if it's late in the evening
    and they are likely closed?  I don't have a problem cleaning my own fish, but if I was the owner of a
    convenience store, I wouldn't appreciate you disposing of your fish remains in my garbage can.  Please
    have some respect for the local businesses.  They didn't catch or clean your fish, they shouldn't have to
    deal with the remains of your prize. 

Loon
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 13:13:57 (permalink)
    "If you catch a limit a Follys, do you really want to run to Poor Richards,"

And running to a fish cleaning station would some how be easier? I agree with not dumping them on a convience store though.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 13:22:23 (permalink)
    Bobbi Joe may have a big issue with gas prices to run the fish to Poor
    Richards.  Personally, I don't give a fat rats ****. 

Loon
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 13:23:36 (permalink)
    Just kidding...

Loon
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 13:24:33 (permalink)

Loon
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 19:06:23 (permalink)
    When I recently passed through Pulaski, NY I couldn't believe the number of fish
    cleaning stations provided to the out of state anglers.  Maybe Erie should take a
    lesson....hint,hint,hint....

Loon
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 20:02:17 (permalink)
    all parts of fish should go back in the water to make food for smaller fish and any living thing in the water;   the pafc say no. that's what happing in the water today no live bait .what happen to all the aqua life in the water if they can't feed .years ago we did it and we had many aqua life. think about it [dream on] i know i seen it all
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 20:46:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loon10

When I recently passed through Pulaski, NY I couldn't believe the number of fish
    cleaning stations provided to the out of state anglers.  Maybe Erie should take a
    lesson....hint,hint,hint....

I can't say that there aren't ANY in Pulaski for the public to clean their own fish, there very may well be, but I highly doubt it.  MOST of those "cleaning station" signs that you saw, were the same deal as , you guessed it, Poor Richard's.   Actually they are worse deals, most of them will charge you extra if you want to keep the eggs out of the salmon, that you caught and brought there to be cleaned. 

Not trying to argue with you, I agree, it would be cool if there was a place we could go and clean our own fish, but I'm also not all bent out of shape about not having one either.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 20:55:30 (permalink)
    I think alot Lake Ontario Boat launch fish cleaning stations are run by the county or township. Thats why you gotta pay.  
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 21:21:40 (permalink)
    here's a thought. if you are not willing to take the fish AND guts with ya, release the fish.

the end

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 21:24:16 (permalink)
    After they are filleted?  I don't think they'd swim too well.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 21:41:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carpitiss

here's a thought. if you are not willing to take the fish AND guts with ya, release the fish.

the end

AMEN

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 22:16:20 (permalink)
    One thing that everyone is forgetting fish must stay whole except for the entrials untill the place of consumption. Unless done by a cleaning station or pa guide.   just my two cents 10 days untill spring launch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Fish Cleaning 2007/04/10 22:21:20 (permalink)
    If cleaning stations were installed, who would be responsible for maintaining and cleaning them?  If you're thinking the PAFBC, I'd say you're probably looking to the wrong people, given their already shoestring budget and overworked WCO's.  Probably would have to be a privately owned deal, and then you'd be looking at paying for it.

Only fish cleaning stations I've ever seen were on privately owned fishing piers at the beach.  They were "free" to use after you paid to fish on the pier.  I've fished public fresh and salt water in several states and have never seen a free, public access fish cleaning station.  Not saying it couldn't be done, or shouldn't be done, but it just doesn't seem too feasable, unless you'd have some willing volunteers to clean and maintain them on a regular basis.  Of course, lots of fishermen can't even pick up their bait containers and other litter.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: