boat mooring

Author
wanderer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/24 15:07:09 (permalink)

boat mooring

If anyone leaves their boat in water all summer should the bottom be painted and what precautions should i take if i can only check it every week or two first year i am leaving it getting to hard for me to take in and out anymore thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: boat mooring 2012/02/24 15:16:29 (permalink)
    I would think that, depending on where you are slipping it, bottom paint may help keep the zebras at bay. You could check with the marina on keeping it on the trailer and launching it for you when you come up. Lots of things can happen to a boat in a slip that you don't check regularly.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: boat mooring 2012/02/24 16:14:56 (permalink)
    Zebra mussels aren't really the problem.  Algae and microorganisms can cause damage to gelcoats and FRPs if the vessels aren't bottom painted.  There are basically two types of bottom paint:  Ablative paint and hard paint. 

Ablative has marine life inhibitors and is designed to "slough off" a little bit at a time...taking any organisms with it.  Ablative paint should last 1-3 years in fresh water depending on the length of time in the water each season and the quality of paint used.  Hard paint does not wear off, but acts as a barrier between microorganisms and the hull.  Since the hard paint doesn't wear off, periodic scraping or power washing is needed to get the creepy crawlies/scum off.

I use ablative on my boat.  I haven't done this myself, but I know a lot of guys like to paint the initial layer of paint a different color than the subsequent layers in order to be able to tell when the bottom needs repainted.  It's not a cheap date, but is better than having to have the gelcoat repaired IMO.

Good luck.

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: boat mooring 2012/02/24 16:35:12 (permalink)
    I have bottom paint on one boat, and the other is not painted...

The bottom painted boat just requires pressure washing at the end of the season. This takes some of the paint itself off. (Ablative) In the spring, I touch up the spots that are worn off. Every 5-6 years, I'll sand then re-do the bottom.

My other boat, the non bottom painted one, gets pressure washed as well, but it doesn't remove all the organic growth. The residue, which looks like staining that is left behind, I leave until spring, then spray with a muriatic acid based cleaner, such as "Zing". Cleans it right up and looks great.. Nasty stuff, but really effective. If you want to do it before you put it away for the season, there's a product/cleaner called "Slimy Grimy" that works very well too. If your boat is aluminum, or the gelcoat is in poor condition, forget using muriatic acid on it.

I was hesitant about leaving my boats in the water at first, but now, don't even think twice about it. Keep your anodes in good shape, make sure your bonding is up to snuff, and go fishing.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: boat mooring 2012/02/24 20:31:48 (permalink)
    Don't forget about well charged batteries and 2 automatic bilge pumps, one in the bow and one in the stern. You can even get a solar panel to keep them charged.
    Jump to: