ram rod holders

Author
bar2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/22 13:36:57 (permalink)

ram rod holders

I need to get rod holders for my multispecies boat and was going to try ram rod holders. But my question is will they with stand being fished in erie for a season? I won't be fishing everyday but hopefully ill be able to get up there a fair amount of days. Any input would be helpful thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: ram rod holders 2012/02/22 21:05:33 (permalink)
    Forget the Rams...and the Cannons for that matter!
    The splines on the mount WILL wear and become loose, causing the rod holder to pop up and come out of the mounting baseplate.

I know this from experience...and lost rods!

HTH

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: ram rod holders 2012/02/24 17:26:15 (permalink)
    Were you pulling dipsys or planar boards? Bc I was going to use ram holders for inline planar boards then a tube style like a big jon for dipsys
    Or does it not make a difference and there gonna wear out regardless?
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: ram rod holders 2012/02/24 17:51:50 (permalink)
    bar2,

We did run dipsys some, but not much, and they were wearing even before the dispy use just from general plug trolling or weighted plug trolling on the river. They are nice for stationary use, and probably are better than many of the other plastic holders, but the plastic wears if you use them much. For what you invest in rod holders you don't want to be replacing them every 2 to 3 years, and one lost rod/reel could pay for a set of better holders.
    It is the ridges in the mount and splines of the post that sits into the base which wear, the edges rounded off and once that happened they didn't stay 'seated' like they should and would either partially or fully come out of the base when under pressure. It's too bad they didn't reinforce that part of the setup with some type of metal, it was a convenient rod holder to switch between boats, We just bought extra bases and would swap the tops from boat to boat.
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: ram rod holders 2012/02/24 18:40:00 (permalink)
    Alright thanks for the info glad I asked before I spent the money on those.
    Jump to: