Majority has a vioce ?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 22:51:44 (permalink)
doc, I don't know if you meant to ,but you did come up with some good ideas there.I would like to add one more,& that is for hunters to choose what type of weapon thay want to use for deer.Either a firearm or a bow. This I believe would cut back the crowds on what little public land that we have to hunt. sam
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 08:53:47 (permalink)
crappie..

Not sure I follow you idea as to how it would "cut back" on the crowds...
you talking having a choice even in archery season ???

I believe crossbows allowed SOME to take up a new weapon that does not require all the time to become really skilled in archery like a re curve or even a compound.. many have taken advantage of it and I think I read this year many other complained about having new EXTRA hunters in their woods..

My point was that if left to hunters.. the management of wildlife would get really screwed up in no time...the majority would not necessarily agree with the ideas that the folks wanting it would be... it would be a game of numbers.. who voted for what...

The perfect example would be my archery remarks.. rifle hunters far out-number the archers...
and with archers getting 30% of the bucks it would only be a matter of taking the vote to get the season cut back so more would be available for the rifle hunters..... or even maybe a 3 day junior and senior "buck hunt" in October.. make the current one either or....I like that one too and with the number of seniors getting higher that too could get easily changed by juniors and seniors voting for it...

after all == the juniors pay for a license and should thus also get a vote....

allowing hunters to set policies and seasons, etc.. REALLY BAD IDEA ....

Folks are still trying to say ARs are not popular when every survey the PGC or others do states differently.. the majority still like them....

Folks not happy with today's policies, seasons, populations, etc.. are not going to be happy no matter what... they'll just find something else to complain about... been that way forever in Pa with deer hunting especially...

I have articles from ever decade with someone complaining about killing too many females and not enough deer in the state.... remember the old "kill a doe and kill 3 for next year" reason to stop shooting does and let the herd grow .. that was around when I started hunting...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 10:10:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: World Famous

I'm all for a tweety bird season!! 20 or 30 tweety birds roasting in an orange sauce and served over a bed of rice. A glass of Charles Krug chenin-blanc and I'm there...WF....Followed up with a scotch on the rocks and Double Taper cigar..

PGC regs already allow unlimited #'s starlings - no closed season..

Starlings.... the other dark meat...
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 10:17:19 (permalink)
The perfect example would be my archery remarks.. rifle hunters far out-number the archers...
and with archers getting 30% of the bucks it would only be a matter of taking the vote to get the season cut back so more would be available for the rifle hunters..... or even maybe a 3 day junior and senior "buck hunt" in October.. make the current one either or....I like that one too and with the number of seniors getting higher that too could get easily changed by juniors and seniors voting for it...

It was never as much of an issue prior to hr. It seems hr compounded alot of other "percieved" problems some hunters had with other things. More deer = more to go around, for both archers and rifle hunters.

Within reason doc. I dont think hunters should write the entire script. But they most certainly could have the say in many more things that they do currently.

Folks not happy with today's policies, seasons, populations, etc.. are not going to be happy no matter what... they'll just find something else to complain about... been that way forever in Pa with deer hunting especially...

Thats a far from being true. Nowhere near as many hunters were as p-oed for the last few decades prior to 2000 as they have been since 2000. Not even close by a longshot. Most that Im aware of who are p-oed had very little complaint prior to Hr. That is one of the most asnine damage control statements I hear repeated on message boards by a select few over and over. And its nowhere close to being true. Just some trying to pass over the extreme and make it seem more "normal". If it were not for excessive HR and the environmentalist/timber agenda in place, Id have no major problems with things as they stood.

Pgc getting themselves sued, legislators forcing audits, prevented fee increases, all time high hunter dissent. Deer hunters quitting at much higher rate than others. Hunter numbers declining at over double the national average from 2001 to 2006, lil' Gary needing body guards and flack jackets just to speak in public...etc. "Deer Wars" and even the audit pointing to the high level of dissent thats lasted so long as being "unusual" and problematic. Sorry Doc, trying to pass all that off as "normal" is insane. lmao.

Guess thats what happens when you have "other" political agendas being pushed by our, what used to be, "game" management agency.

post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/05 10:30:25
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 12:14:22 (permalink)
I certainly do not agree with your opinion that the majority agree with your opinions..

even on this site there are only a few complaining compared to the number of members.. members viewing the topics.. or the number of views a deer topic gets... most just do not want to reply if they agree with the PGC or it's policies...and those complaining here are the same few complaining on other boards...

it's the old squeeky wheel theory...

complain over and over and it MAY make some folks think there's alot that agree when in realty it is only the same few talking about the "folks they know and their opinions" ......
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/05 12:16:17
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 12:52:29 (permalink)
most just do not want to reply if they agree with the PGC or it's policies...and those complaining here are the same few complaining on other boards...

Or they don't wish to be called a Goon, Thug, Bully, Igornant, Needing wormed like a dog, etc just because they voice their views against the current PGC policies. You also may want to recount those who post for vs against their policies as of late.

As for knowing who is posting what on other boards, there is only one way for a person to know that.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 15:57:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

It was never as much of an issue prior to hr. It seems hr compounded alot of other "percieved" problems some hunters had with other things. More deer = more to go around, for both archers and rifle hunters.

Within reason doc. I dont think hunters should write the entire script. But they most certainly could have the say in many more things that they do currently.

Thats a far from being true. Nowhere near as many hunters were as p-oed for the last few decades prior to 2000 as they have been since 2000. Not even close by a longshot. Most that Im aware of who are p-oed had very little complaint prior to Hr. That is one of the most asnine damage control statements I hear repeated on message boards by a select few over and over. And its nowhere close to being true. Just some trying to pass over the extreme and make it seem more "normal". If it were not for excessive HR and the environmentalist/timber agenda in place, Id have no major problems with things as they stood.

Pgc getting themselves sued, legislators forcing audits, prevented fee increases, all time high hunter dissent. Deer hunters quitting at much higher rate than others. Hunter numbers declining at over double the national average from 2001 to 2006, lil' Gary needing body guards and flack jackets just to speak in public...etc. "Deer Wars" and even the audit pointing to the high level of dissent thats lasted so long as being "unusual" and problematic. Sorry Doc, trying to pass all that off as "normal" is insane. lmao.

Guess thats what happens when you have "other" political agendas being pushed by our, what used to be, "game" management agency.

I too disagree with your comments that more people are apposed to the current deer management direction than in the past. That is noting more than your biased opinion because you wish that were true even though it isn’t true. Nor is it just in recent years that antlerless deer seasons and harvests have been challenged in the courts. That too has been done before.

I have been listening to hunters complaining and professing that the Game Commission is trying to kill off all the does for over fifty years now. In fact there have been many times when the screaming and shouting was louder then it is now.

It appears to me, having spent about three and half decades listening to hunters, that there are more and more hunters becoming better educated on the REALITIES of the deer/habitat relationship and thus being more supportive of deer management and the need for harvesting does than ever before in the past.

This is just one of the few remaining web sites where those apposed to professional deer management practices have been able to gather and post at any level of strength over those that do support scientific management.  

R.S. Bodenhorn
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3105
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 16:05:07 (permalink)
maybe cause this site isnt in the hip pocket of the PGC like HuntPA is
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 16:43:35 (permalink)
This is just one of the few remaining web sites where those apposed to professional deer management practices have been able to gather and post at any level of strength over those that do support scientific management.

Care to give any EXAMPLES of SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT that has been employed by the PGC that is different than before HR/AR?

1. The method of estimating deer numbers is the same method used in the 1970's
2. The PA SAK model is from the 1950's
3. Nearly everyone of the newer research papers references studies from as far back as the 1930's
4. HR was sold on 1,600,000 million deer which was a lie.
5.HR was sold on deer being responsible for Lyme disease which was a lie
6. Pa was using scientific deer management for 100 years. Just not the kind that put the Audubons birdies in front of the game animals.

The reason we are able to post with any strength is because we have been able to prove false most of the claims that the PGC's minions have been making on here. Sorry that upsets some people but perhaps if they didn't try to BS us all the time they wouldn't be proven wrong so often.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 17:34:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Care to give any EXAMPLES of SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT that has been employed by the PGC that is different than before HR/AR?

3. Nearly everyone of the newer research papers references studies from as far back as the 1930's
6. Pa was using scientific deer management for 100 years. Just not the kind that put the Audubons birdies in front of the game animals.

The reason we are able to post with any strength is because we have been able to prove false most of the claims that the PGC's minions have been making on here. Sorry that upsets some people but perhaps if they didn't try to BS us all the time they wouldn't be proven wrong so often.

We are still using round wheels too. There has been no need to continuously reinvent the wheel because it works the same as it did 100 or even 1000 years ago. The same is true about many things in wildlife management. Something such as the method of estimating deer numbers or deer harvests does not need to be changed to still be valid even though some aspects of it do change from time to time. The fact that there is not always a need to reinvent the wheel are also the reasons you will often see some of those older research papers referenced. That is just good common sense, even though it seems common sense is not so common with some people in today’s world.

Some other things in wildlife management should and do continuously change as new and improved management methods and information are developed.

Often it is the same people that complain about using the new improved methods that also complain about using the old research papers. That fact is a hoot and should help logical people figure out which people do not work or argue from a logical position? 

Since you are so sure the Game Commission deer estimate, before herd reduction was incorrect, you should go ahead and tell us how many deer there really were and how you came up that population number.

I will agree with you about the Lyme disease argument though. It will be there with or without deer.

As for you comment about Audubon that is just your belief that everything the Government is involved must be a conspiracy. The logical people in the world do not feel the need to believe in such nonsense. Audubon was just one of the many organizations with enough resource knowledgeable people that were able to see how the increasing deer populations were damaging not only their own but also the future for many other wildlife populations is to their credit among people that use good common sense. The fact that some hunters are not able to see and recognize that fact is actually rather damaging to the future for hunters and their arguments when they refuse to acknowledge the affects of having too many deer.

R.S. Bodenhorn
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 17:53:35 (permalink)
Maybe time to reign in the HR. If someone thinks the majority of the hunters think the PGC is on the right course, I believe a reality check is in order...WF
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 20:35:23 (permalink)
Often it is the same people that complain about using the new improved methods that also complain about using the old research papers. That fact is a hoot and should help logical people figure out which people do not work or argue from a logical position?

WEll then ----You made the claim---give some EXAMPLES OF THE SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT you are using that is so great in the last decade that wasn't used before.

Just exactly what are the QUOTE: "NEW IMPROVED METHODS" you are refering to.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 20:42:05 (permalink)
Since you are so sure the Game Commission deer estimate, before herd reduction was incorrect, you should go ahead and tell us how many deer there really were and how you came up that population number.

Your own leaders now admit the numbers were wrong just like they now admit deer have nothing to do with Lyme disease and they are the experts, remember.

Too bad they didn't admit it BEFORE it was used to sell HR but then that would have defeated their whole goal of selling the program wouldn't it.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/05 23:06:13 (permalink)
trout,My thoughts on cutting back on the crowds comes from my belief that there are many people that hunt with a bow & a gun, I was 1 my self. If they had to choose 1 or the other that would cut into the amount out hunting in each season.As far as people believing all of those polls that support A.R. I call bulls###.People can say what they want,but when push comes to shove it is often another story.The only way I will ever believe it is when people are forced to make a choice.btw when it comes to a certain few repeatedly spouting the same old same old views,guess who comes to my mind. lol sam
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 00:22:15 (permalink)
I too disagree with your comments that more people are apposed to the current deer management direction than in the past.

Facts are the fact.

I have been listening to hunters complaining and professing that the Game Commission is trying to kill off all the does for over fifty years now.

Thats funny. I get around quite abit, and for the most part, previously I didnt. I didnt "profess" that. Nor did anyone else that I know of that doesnt support this crap NOW.

It appears to me, having spent about three and half decades listening to hunters, that there are more and more hunters becoming better educated on the REALITIES of the deer/habitat relationship and thus being more supportive of deer management and the need for harvesting does than ever before in the past

Absolutely. Just like myself. I know all about deer habitat relationship, I support the need to harvest does. I dont support special interest catering, values based antideer agendas and bizarre borderline antihunter type pgc sentiment. And the fact more of us are educated today is excatly why we can recognize those things as being the current reality.

You clearly speak of some other purely propaganda site where dissent isnt permitted.

post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/06 00:35:04
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 00:28:54 (permalink)

Alot of times you REALLY dont make sense. If according to you, those that complain about the "new" ways & complain about using "old papers" dont make sense...What does that say about the folks who complain about the OLD ways, yet dont use "new research papers". Sorry sir. But its just as broad as it is long.

As for you comment about Audubon that is just your belief that everything the Government is involved must be a conspiracy.[

Their involvement since before day one in jsut about every aspect from designing the plan, to the audit proposal theyve been pretty much one of the groups dictating things. Well documented.

And yes, many at Audubon are extremist nuts. If you cant see that by reading many of their "pieces" on the internet, then I really dont know what to tell you.

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 05:45:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

maybe cause this site isnt in the hip pocket of the PGC like HuntPA is

Bullsear Catnip - all three bullets in the little red circle...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 06:07:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

There has been no need to continuously reinvent the wheel because it works the same as it did 100 or even 1000 years ago.

Off Topic comment - sorry for slight derail - but

RSB, after your career ends with the PGC, you should straighten out the Man-Made Climate Change scammers that continue to suckle from the Govt Grant Teat.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 07:43:33 (permalink)

We are still using round wheels too. There has been no need to continuously reinvent the wheel because it works the same as it did 100 or even 1000 years ago.  

R.S. Bodenhorn

And those wheels are no longer made of stone, or metal, or wood, of in some cases, even rubber.  Those wheels may or may not have treads, may or may not be filled with air at varying pressures foam, or are solid.  They may be soft or hard.  But they fit the specific application they are intended for.  And the research that makes the changes, or more correctly stated, evloution of the wheel, is done by those that utilize proper methodologies because, unlike a psuedo governement agency, designing the research wrong, doing the research wrong, or coming to incorrect conclusions about the research has serious implications for their organization and them personally. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 11:38:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Allowing all hunters to collectively make hunting decisions is a bad thing.  I say that because my experiences lead me to believe the average hunter has very little knowledge of wildlife management.

The average voter doesn't know squat about politics but our President is still voted upon that way. If it's good enough to choose a leader for our country, why wouldn't it be good enough for this purpose?

As a citizen (voter), you do not vote for specific rulemaking, polices, or lawmaking.  Rather you vote for a "qualified" individual (or party) that best represents your views to carry out the specific tasks.  There is an awfully big difference between the majority of people actually making decisions versus the majority of people appointing a qualified person to make decisions on their behalf.

Had you kept my post intact and in context, you would see that I support hunters having a voice moderated through a group of qualified individuals, which would be similar to how our political system works.    

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:00:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

We are still using round wheels too. There has been no need to continuously reinvent the wheel because it works the same as it did 100 or even 1000 years ago.  

R.S. Bodenhorn

And those wheels are no longer made of stone, or metal, or wood, of in some cases, even rubber.  Those wheels may or may not have treads, may or may not be filled with air at varying pressures foam, or are solid.  They may be soft or hard.  But they fit the specific application they are intended for.  And the research that makes the changes, or more correctly stated, evloution of the wheel, is done by those that utilize proper methodologies because, unlike a psuedo governement agency, designing the research wrong, doing the research wrong, or coming to incorrect conclusions about the research has serious implications for their organization and them personally. 

And just who do you think should be making the decisions on which changes and deciding which are best suited for the future direction, those that have been educated on how to set up the correct research procedures or those that simply use the results of the changes?

What experience do you have to determine the wrong research is being done the wrong ways or coming to the wrong conclusions?

Why don’t you just tell your doctors how to treat your ailments? Or maybe head on down to the local sports bar when you need a broken bone set the next time, after all most of those people have probably experienced that a time or two? That would make just as much sense as what you are advocating for wildlife management.

R.S. Bodenhorn
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:04:22 (permalink)
wow

Guess if you don't like the facts in the message attack the messinger...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:14:59 (permalink)
My son does neurosurgery, should have told him to go into deer research instead. Had NO idea it was that important...WF..DD, you were correct in a previous thread statement.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:40:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: World Famous

My son does neurosurgery, should have told him to go into deer research instead. Had NO idea it was that important...WF..DD, you were correct in a previous thread statement.

No, as frequently happens you have once again missed the entire point and came up with another red herring point of argument.

The REAL question is since your son is a neurosurgeon is he also qualified to make the best possible and better decisions on wildlife management than the professionals in that field? Is he as qualified to make decisions concerning Micro Chemistry or Molecular Biology as the professional trained in those fields, simply because they each have a highly specialized field of education, training and experience?

Personally I will trust the neurosurgeon to make good decisions about any pending surgery over the Wildlife or Molecular Biologists. But, I will also take the advice of and put my support in the Wildlife biologist making better decisions than either of the other professionals when it comes to wildlife management issues, even if all of them are also hunters.

R.S. Bodenhorn
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:47:23 (permalink)
I don't believe it was me missing the point...WF
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 17:48:08 (permalink)
No, as frequently happens you have once again missed the entire point and came up with another red herring point of argument.

I think he made an excellent point. When the "mismanagement" is so blatant, and so obvious as to entail all the "extremes" that ours has, it isnt "brain surgery" and its not hard for most to recognize it. Just as it doesnt take a doctor to figure out a guy laying on the ground with his arm detached might have a medical situation on his hands.

It also doesnt take a genius to read and understand very basic principles, do 6th grade math etc. when necessary to prove a point. lmao.
post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/06 17:51:27
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 18:22:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

I think he made an excellent point. When the "mismanagement" is so blatant, and so obvious as to entail all the "extremes" that ours has, it isnt "brain surgery" and its not hard for most to recognize it. Just as it doesnt take a doctor to figure out a guy laying on the ground with his arm detached might have a medical situation on his hands.

It also doesnt take a genius to read and understand very basic principles, do 6th grade math etc. when necessary to prove a point. lmao.

Using your analogy I guess the guy that finds the person laying there with his arm cut off should just go ahead and stitch it back on? After all the guy that finds him also has two arms and certainly should know how they work, right?

R.S. Bodenhorn
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 18:32:57 (permalink)
Minor league...WF
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 18:43:21 (permalink)
Using your analogy I guess the guy that finds the person laying there with his arm cut off should just go ahead and stitch it back on?

Not at all. But to stick with an accurate to our situation analogy, if he were to go to a doctor who told him there isnt a thing wrong, and refuses to sew it back on, then that doctor should be fired, lose his license and other qualified doctors brought into that hospital who WILL sew it back on.

Seems across the continental US, at game management agencies, there are alotta folks in charge that are ready and willing to sew when they clearly need to. ...Just not here in good ol' Pennsyltucky. Here if'n you're missin' one arm, the solution it seems, is to cut off the other, as well as a leg.

post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/06 18:48:49
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/06 19:03:55 (permalink)
.....WF
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: