Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/02 17:07:04 (permalink)

Majority has a vioce ?

Just a thought.. Why couldn't the PGC come up with a poll on all the willing sportsmen,sportswomen to throw a vote Yes or No with topics like   " Rifle for turkey in certain  WMU's ", " AR,s ", the list could go on and on based on the license's issuing number . Insuring there would be an accurate and clear vote. With the majority making the decision. We the sportsmen,sportswomen would have the say in these matters, sort of like a democracy. Most all would have internet access providing easy registration. It's our $$$ that keeps them going anyhow we should have a say in this.            

80 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 17:12:49 (permalink)
    Any on-line poll is really not worth much, it just gives the opinions of those answering question... that's it ..

one person could have many many responses .. just like here many would use different usernames and different e-mail accounts to register...

IMHO = the random ones they (PGC) do now give them an idea of what hunters think.. plus you have to remember the PGC does NOT managed any of the state's wildlife with hunters being the only ones they listen to...
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 17:18:43 (permalink)
    Commonwealth look it up. This is to be decided by the people for the common good, And the polls would be based on your hunting license number 1 vote 1 topic.Computers can be programmed to sort through this so there would be no repeat votes.  
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:09:27 (permalink)
    The day they start allowing the public to vote on hunting and wildlife management issues will be the day hunting starts to seriously plunge into its final days.

First of all you need to realize that the State constitution would not allow hunters to be the only ones to vote on the issues concerning hunting or wildlife. Since hunters only make up about 12% of the population and even they wouldn’t all vote the same way on most things it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out that hunters wouldn’t get much the way they wanted it when the final votes came in. For every hunter in this state there is also an anti-hunter and they are much more uniform in how they would vote. If you really take the time to think about the idea of voting on wildlife and hunting issue you should be really glad it isn’t up for a vote and instead handled by hunters selected to represent the interests of both hunters and the wildlife resources.
     R.S. Bodenhorn     
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:17:46 (permalink)
    The problem arises when the hunters want something but the PGC or their partners don't. Remember, the CAC's were supposed to give everyone a say in deer management until the PGC wasn't getting the answers they wanted so they stopped them. It's a good idea, at least for some issues, but no agency likes to give up the power to make the final decision.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:20:35 (permalink)
    Add all the antis in with the folks who could give a a carp bout huntin and then all the 'special interest' folks =compare it to the number of hunters--- think about it-
      Headline- Hunting voted OUT.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:36:46 (permalink)
    you should be really glad it isn’t up for a vote and instead handled by hunters selected to represent the interests of both hunters and the wildlife resources.
    R.S. Bodenhorn

That is a stretch since the BOC (the supposed hunters representing us)just voted to approve the statement in their guidelines assuring that hunters will have no more influence over game issues than any other organization. We are now officially on par with the Audubon, Friends of Animals, HSUS and any, non hunter, or anti hunter in the state.
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/03 06:50:02
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:43:59 (permalink)
    Hunters channeling opinions through an informed, educated group of individuals to be conveyed to the PGC is a good thing.  Of course that is assuming the comments will be considered...

Allowing all hunters to collectively make hunting decisions is a bad thing.  I say that because my experiences lead me to believe the average hunter has very little knowledge of wildlife management.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3105
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 19:49:09 (permalink)
    never assume anything
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 20:10:21 (permalink)
    Allowing all hunters to collectively make hunting decisions is a bad thing.

I Think it depends some on the question or issue. I doubt the hunters would have been foolish enough to approve introducing the Fisher into Penns Woods and then approve a research project to study why our small game population is decreasing.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/02 20:49:57 (permalink)
    I have heard there is consideration on allowing rifle in 1-B for turkey? The hunters I work with all said this absolutely absurd and I totally agree. Why couldn't we have a vote on an issue like this or is it because we don't have the proper schooling to reason this one out.       
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/03 13:23:38 (permalink)
    What might be a better alternative would be if the rules were changed to allow the sportsmen of the state vote on a slate of canidates that would be sent to the govenor for him to choose the BOC members from. This is the same or similiar to how it is done in a number of different states. The PGC and Audubon would scream but only because it would take some power from them. It's Probably wishful thinking at this stage of their transformation away from a game agency though.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/03 15:51:02 (permalink)
    If pgc were "any kind" they would survey hunters and act upon those surveys. Im not talking having major issue put on ballot. Just informal surveys. There is NO excuse for at the very least gathering extensive input and making the decisions based on that input. But no, decisions are often made that clearly the majority wouldnt support, just because its what one or two commissioners want and they support of a few others to gain majority board support.There are many issue that are not biological in nature that effect hunter satisfaction. Those issues should be up to the hunters period. That should only be common sense, and would be something to maybe improve pgc hunter relations at least to some extent. And no, I dont care what scare tactics some want to use, there is no danger of any ramifications on many of these issues by excluding others from survey. Its none of audubon, peta, or anyone elses dam business whether we as a group agree we should have crossbows legal or not, change ar as we just had done, change turkey to rifle or keep it shotgun only as it is now in these units... Btw, just using those as examples of recent or proposed changes that we should or shouldve had say in, and didnt.

As for having more "say" over the deer management issues, I was hoping the environuts would be starved out of the commission when the fee increase denials were not granted going back several years now.... Then with more normal policies & possible staff forced to be in place, common sense management would then occur.... But its been a nonissue since they dont need that fee increase, and probably knew for quite some time they didnt "need" it with huge projections of gas income known even then. Also "other" incomes theyve been getting since. So it doesnt look as if that tactic will be panning out any time soon. Only other thing to hope for, is that somehow in coming years enough individuals are willing to make the attempt and can "fool" enough folks including the governors advisory committee and get onto the board, and vote appropriately but only after its known that the appropriate majority existed. Till then, go with the flow. Otherwise, Like boop, every attempt will be made to keep that "type" to a tiny minority on the board at all costs.
    post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/03 15:53:14
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/03 17:18:50 (permalink)
    Just wondering ???

Hasn't anyone one else been send a questionnaire about hunting to fill out ???

PLUS I already posted how many of the licenses buyers " filled out" (answered) the questionnaire about migratory bird hunting..

what would make folks think deer hunters or even small game hunters would not do the same ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/03 17:21:18
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/03 18:17:00 (permalink)
    Could go right along with your mandatory report every year.
    RSB says there is no need for negetive reports, waste of money.
    Everybody reports,,,,Everybody does a survey...

You would have excellent data for GUESTIMATING the deer herd and allocations and you would also gain valuable feedback from hunters.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/03 18:46:14 (permalink)
    I didn't get a survey mailed to me ? I did read over one though and returned it to the fellow who received it. He had 2 years of hunting experience under his belt and really was clueless to a lot of the questions listed.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 06:01:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Add all the antis in with the folks who could give a a carp bout huntin and then all the 'special interest' folks =compare it to the number of hunters--- think about it-
    Headline- Hunting voted OUT.

and I am willing to bet that the anti's would gladly buy licenses so they have the PGC account # to allow them to vote NAY on every issue balloted.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 06:02:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Could go right along with your mandatory report every year.
    RSB says there is no need for negetive reports, waste of money.
    Everybody reports,,,,Everybody does a survey...

You would have excellent data for GUESTIMATING the deer herd and allocations and you would also gain valuable feedback from hunters.

x 200 on the required annual report.

VERY SIMPLE to set up... $ cost = next to nada..
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 14:15:50 (permalink)
    I didn't find the question you are referring to in the survey from the PGC to abolish hunting ? Do you think that question would be on a ballot or survey when polling hunters collectively from the PGC, unless they already had this in their things to do list? I'm talking about issues that effect the Pennsylvania hunter's,and letting them know we want something done about said issue. Is this hard to understand.A majority voice that will be heard is all I'm talking about. Does anybody have an issue here that is concerning them or do they see a problem that should be addressed to better our Commonwealth hunting grounds ?
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 15:42:53 (permalink)
    dr. trout were you sent a survey? I wonder why I & most hunters that I know did not ever get one.As far as people not honestly filling out thier survey, that is why I keep saying that hunters choose when they buy a license, whether they want to hunt according to A.R.or not & make it for 3 or 4 yrs.That is the only way you will ever get a honest reply.I have been involved for over 30 yrs in organized sportsmens groups & understand the variety of opinions on how things should be done. At least in my plan you could choose, instead of being forced to do something you don't believe in. There is no excuse,imo for doing this since A.r. is not equal now anyway. sam
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 15:49:17 (permalink)
    Years ago, they would send a survey to all license holders whose numbers ended in 0 , I believe...WF
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 17:45:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Allowing all hunters to collectively make hunting decisions is a bad thing.  I say that because my experiences lead me to believe the average hunter has very little knowledge of wildlife management.

The average voter doesn't know squat about politics but our President is still voted upon that way. If it's good enough to choose a leader for our country, why wouldn't it be good enough for this purpose?

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 18:25:31 (permalink)
    I was sent one years ago, back in the early 90s === I believe...

I also remember filling out some sort of survey at one of the deer open houses just a few years ago......
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 18:32:06 (permalink)

I wonder how these votes would turn out.. if hunters could make the call ...

so hunters should be able to decide what type weapons they use and where.. with not regards to non-hunters -- rifles state wide ...

Year round deer hunting... I'd go for that one

Shorten archery season to two weeks and not during the rut.. remember majority rules.. rifle hunters would all vote yes for that one..

start rifle season during the rut... YEAH !!!!!

make ARs the same state wide .. any buck that has a visible antler... Yep many would like that too ... !!!

be careful of what you wish for....
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 19:09:26 (permalink)
    Doc, way back ,in my young days, I believe archery eason ended before the rut. I think the tradition of deer hunting would still rule as to the openning day and the length. No one ,that I have read, wants a 2 week season for doe. Let the archers take a doe with their regular license, as before.Also, I still would like to choose which buck I would kill. Young is always tastier...WF..IMO, HR was needed but now should just go away except in urban areas.Why can't there be some flexibility in doe seasons?
    post edited by World Famous - 2012/02/04 19:15:35
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 19:31:46 (permalink)
    Why can't there be some flexibility in doe seasons?

Because in the world of Audubon each tweety bird has the same importance as a deer and in their opinion there are still too many deer for Eco-System Management, which is where they and the PGC are leading us.

Remember, the PGC BOC just voted to change their guidelines to give the Audubon and every anti hunting group in the state the same consideration as the hunters in deciding wildlife issues including how our state game lands are managed. We appear to have lost the war, it's just a matter of cleanup now.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 20:59:10 (permalink)
    I'm all for a tweety bird season!! 20 or 30 tweety birds roasting in an orange sauce and served over a bed of rice. A glass of Charles Krug chenin-blanc and I'm there...WF....Followed up with a scotch on the rocks and Double Taper cigar..
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 21:20:27 (permalink)
    The folks from the old country that lived where I do now swore by robins in a home made tomato sauce with a slice of bacon.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 21:35:01 (permalink)
    " 20 or 30 tweety birds roasting in an orange sauce and served over a bed of rice."

I'm pretty sure I had that at the Fortune Star buffet last night

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Majority has a vioce ? 2012/02/04 21:48:31 (permalink)
    You just didn't pick the correct before dinner drink.-------------------------Or enough of it.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: