Author
brentalous
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/09 22:31:06 (permalink)

Question on Leader & Tippet

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the boards here, I'm have some newb questions to ask.  I've just gotten into fly fishing and picked up a Temple Fork Outfitters NXT 5/6 9' from BassProShops.  I spoke to one of the guys there, and he seemed helpful on finding me a moderate priced setup for the Bass fishing I was looking to do.

Now, upon opening and putting everything together, I noticed there is no leader, nor a tippet included.  It's got backing and fly line, but nothing else... which I found strange.  Also I wish he would have informed me that it was missing these so I could have picked them up while I was there. :(  Orlando's a jaunt from where I'm at.

Anyways, I went by the nearest local fly shop and picked up Climax Fluorocarbon Tippet, and  Mirage 7 1/2 ft 10lb Leader.  What I honestly don't understand (and please excuse my ignorance to this) what the difference between the two even are.  Because I see that even if my fly setup HAD come with what it was supposed to, it didn't say anything about the "Tippet" only the Leader...

So I'm basically sitting here with these and can not find a decent video or illustration for tying the leader & tippet to the fly line.  What knot to use, etc.  My Leader has a loop pre-tied on one end (fatter end) but most of the illustrations I see are how to tie differently. 

Needless to say I'm very confused as a beginner, and would just like to get started so I can start practicing on my casting consistancy, before I even get out on the water.

Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated, and I'm looking forward to getting into the FishUSA Community! :)

18 Replies Related Threads

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/09 23:11:32 (permalink)
    well first starting out you only need the leader but with the changing of flies, break offs, etc...you need to add to the leader( after missing about 3 feet is when i add some tippet), thats when the tippet comes in...heres a video to help show you what to do, ya the guys a little wierd but oh well lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om1iMrc4PSg&feature=related (fly line to leader)     
    (attaching tippet to leader)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taTL9Y92IbE

you can just cut off the loop on the fat end and tie this way
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/09 23:47:59 (permalink)
    hi brentalous

welcome to the board.  what kind of bass fishing are you planning on doing, smallie, largemouth? open water or weeds?

now as for your question, your leader is ties to the flyline and the tippet to the leader.  the tippet is replaceable as you use small amounts as you change flies. so a leader would eventialy wear down to a point where it would be useless.  also you can alter the tippet to the conditions you face.  the fluorocarbon tippet you bought would be good for very clear water if the fish were spooky.  also depending on the size of the fly your using you may need to go up or down in thickness or stiffness to get the fly to "turn over" or play out straight.  for bass you can get away with using "regular" line instead of tippet material sold in the small spools.

when you attach the leader to the flyline with a loop-to-loop connection. first tie on a small section of mono, the same strength and stiffness as your leader, using a nail knot. http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

next cut the mono to about 6".  tie a perfection loop to the end.  the smaller the loop the better. http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

your leader should already have a loop on it, but if not, tie a loop to that and make the loop to loop connection. http://www.killroys.com/knots/looploop.htm

next tie your tippet to your leader using a blood knot or surgeons knot.  i prefer the blood knot.  although some people like to use loop to loop here also.  with light line i find this a weak point in my set-up but with heavier stuff like 10 lb or above, it's OK.

now tie on a fly and now your ready to go.  this knot can be a clinch, palomar, turle anything you can tie well.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 06:17:37 (permalink)
    Stop at a book store and pick up a couple of books on starting fly fishing. These will give you the general info needed to get you on the water.
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 09:20:48 (permalink)
    Ok so basically all I really need to do is connect the leader to my flyline, and I should be set right?  Using the NAILKNOT?
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 12:22:25 (permalink)
    yes, that's the simplest way to start.  but i would recomend you also use a couple of feet of tippet.  have you ever cast a flyrod before?
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 12:39:48 (permalink)
    Never before, no.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 13:35:48 (permalink)
    then i would recommend you get a lesson, because the casting motion is totally different from casting any other rod. you can try and do it yourself by reading and explanation or watching a video but that usually ends in a much longer learning curve.  it's easier and quicker to get instant feedback from someone in the know to point out flaws and suggest corrections.  if you just want to try first,  rig your rod with the leader and tie a fly onto the end but remember to cut the hook point off.
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 13:50:30 (permalink)
    Ok, I've watched qutie a few tutorials on YouTube and different sites online, So I've got a general idea.  However i do know what you mean to have someone there, to point out what I'm doing wrong, etc.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who flyfishes, and the nearest place I know of that gives free lessons is @ BPS in Orlando... So we'll see.  I'm a pretty quick learner.

So I'll use that nailknot and tie on that leader to my fly line tonight and get to practicing a bit.  Will it cause me to lose a fish w/o a tippet added on?  Also how many approximate feet do i need of leader/tippet total after the fly line?
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 15:40:51 (permalink)
    I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty new to the sport too, and I was told 7.5-9 feet is good. It seems to work well for me.
    Some guys rig their lines with up to 20 ft. of leader, but they seem to have a lot of practical experience in specific applications.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 17:29:11 (permalink)
    brent

not putting on a leader will not cause you to loss fish.  the leader and tippet are a delivery system.  the basic concept is you cast the flyline and because the fly is so light, it follows; as opposed to spinner/ baitcasting, you cast the lure.  so you size the rod's weight with the size fly you want to cast, so a higher wt. rod will cast larger/heavier flies.  fo bass you usually can get away with a shorter leader/tippet, anywhere from 7 - 9 ft should be good.  this also may limit you on how deep you can fish.  so as a rule of thumb, the heavier the fly the stiffer and shorter the leader, so it turns over well.  so with a 5/6 wt you will be able to throw say a size 4 streamer or a small bass popper. however to start learning, i would use a size 8 dry fly or nymph.  with setup i would use your 7.5' leader,which i believe you said was 10 lb ( did is also have a number X too ie 1X or 0X)  and about 2 ft tippet of 8 lb or 3X tippet.

also what type of water are planning on fishing?  aslo smallies or largemouth?
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 17:50:28 (permalink)
    Just freshwater currently... for largemouth and w/e else decides it wants to eat
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 18:39:28 (permalink)
    For you new guys to the long rod, I know its hard to swallow but spend the money on a few lessons. This will cut your learning time down. If a couple of you get together you may get a group lesson going and all learn w/ less money being spent as a whole. These lessons don't have to be how to cast the longest. Start small, give the teacher a few ideas as to what your looking for out of these lessons. This way at least you get what your looking for, nothing worse than booking a lesson and not getting what you expected. I mentioned earlier that you can hit the local book stores, pick up a few books on the beginning fly fishing. If a couple of you live close by share the books.

To cut your learning time done some, you can learn the knots and simple casting in a farm pond. The sunfish are a lot less forgiving than those steel can be. To this day i still enjoy the non-thinking end of fly fishing a small pond.

Enjoy the sport and your be hooked forever w/ the rod.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 19:32:46 (permalink)
     I was indoctrinated by a couple of good friends. A couple of informal casting and knot lessons and some good laughs as they watched me try to thread the guides with the leader. We did hit a little pond area for the sunfish too. I realy like that spot. We were getting hit when we didn't even want to. Leaving a nymph hang in the water and getting a strike while lighting up a smoke can actualy become a pain in the butt. I'm going to have to go back there when it warms up. Those are some of the best days I've had so far. Kept it fun and exciting while getting past the difficulty of learning the knots and being mindfull of the backcast.
    I've caught some big trees.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 21:16:53 (permalink)
    brent

lmb with a 5/6 wt, well that's ambitious.  most of the time you'll be ok but if you get into thick weeds do not try and pull the bass out with the rod, as in fighting the fish with the rod high over head, if you do you will have a few extra pieces.  point the tip towards the fish so only a small bend is on the rod and pull or reel the line in that way.  same thing when you get snagged or land a fish, do not put a sharp bend in the rod or you will be testing the warranty.
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/10 21:25:19 (permalink)
    Would you recommend something a little higher than the 5/6?  Like I said that's what the guy from BPS recommended for Bass fishing...  But see, that kind of advice (about the pads and not to point the tip towards the fish, is great... I never would have known that.  Good thing is, I expect to break the rod eventually, but these Temple Fork's have a lifetime warranty, so that's re-assuring.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/11 01:21:27 (permalink)
    for bass fishing i use  8 and sometimes a 9 wt rod.  you also need to get a bass or bug taper floating fly line to really throw good sized bass bugs in weeds and lilypads.  a medium fast taper rod like the TFO signiture series would be a good start.  i also use these for pikeand muskie.  i'd like to use them in salt some day for stripers and reds.
    brentalous
    New Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/11 10:17:30 (permalink)
    Well maybe I should take it back and get the 8/9 they had.  I don't want to end up screwing myself in the long run you know... Plus like I said, they give free lessons on Saturdays, so I might just take advantage of that and get what I need.  Cause we've got some pretty monster bass out here in Central FLA, and I'd hate to break the rod because of that.

I just wished I still lived in Orlando, so it was much closer
    post edited by brentalous - 2007/12/11 10:18:11
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question on Leader & Tippet 2007/12/11 10:40:45 (permalink)
    brent i think that would be a wise move.  if you here in PA i'd say you may get away with the 5/6 weight but in FL you need the beef.  i would also go with a stronger leader, i mean would you use 8 or 10 lb test using a worm rig? also when you get flies make sure they have weed guards.

check out some of these flies http://laflyfish.com/flies/sqwirm-worm.php 
    http://laflyfish.com/flies/flylist.php
    this is a good selection but you may be able to find them cheaper http://members.ij.net/danscustomflys/BassFlies.htm
    http://www.riverbum.com/Bass-Flies/
    http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=15

this should be enough to give you an idea of what's out there.

good luck and have fun
    Jump to: