Lake Arthur

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3357
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/14 21:44:22 (permalink)
Are the Bass tasty eating out of there?? Figure if they are it would be easier to clean a limit of 4 16"-20"ers than a bunch of Perch, Crappie & Gills please lett me know or might try them anyways & will give results.

Thanks
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9698
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 08:38:07 (permalink)
Wholeys sold live largemouth in their tanks a few years ago. I've had it before (caught, not bought), and is good, panfish are much better IMO. I think what you said about the warm water / weeds makes a difference, although haven't eaten enough to know. I throw 99% of them back. My Father in law will keep a few, if he changes his mind at the end of the day, I'd rather eat it than feed the racoons. You are right, it does take a lot less time to clean. Although, I am not all too disappointed when I have 10-15 crappies or perch on my fish cleaning table... I doubt that keeping a few would make any impact, although 4 every time out, could put a hurting on the lake and bass tournements. Not really worth it to me, although if I caught walleye like I did bass, I'd probably have a freezer full... I figure the bass tournements and "bass worshipers" put a ton of money into the local economy. They are also a relatively easy to catch big fish, that would put a smile on a face of most casual anglers / kids. ...and, they don't taste like walleye.
**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 10:41:39 (permalink)
they still sell live largemouth, trout and bluegill. didnt pay attention to the other prices but the bluegill is $8/lb. couldnt believe it. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 12:22:29 (permalink)
Most of the Bass caught through the ice on Arthur, only go through the hole one way

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 13:07:43 (permalink)
I'm 'bout half tempted to eat one ov them big fat suckers (Bass) purdy soon. Havin' a hard time gettin' Crappie 12" & up from shore so far. Plus them guys in their fancy Bass boats all slicked up in fancy clothin' is gettin' to me while I'm wading with a wet left sock Now Timmy's little friend just stopped in & has a $57,000 Bass boat plus a 2nd Bass boat & wants to go out now

Hey Pork did you lose 2 ov my super secret 3" swim baits for Pike to snags on Sun.? A guy on a canoe gave me one yesterday thinkin' it was mine & I snagged one today. Very nice leaders on 'em, thanks if they were yours. I was down to one in that sz. & the eyes are missing on it.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2012/03/15 13:20:13
verbatim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 21:30:23 (permalink)
Bass are good eating and they're endemic to the area. Take as many as you can if you plan on eating them. No worries. Anyone who complains is a moron who thinks fishing should look like a Nascar race.

Now that's fishing!
1MOFISH
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 21:39:03 (permalink)
ive been eatin those large faced bass from moraine by the hundreds they taste real good all summer liked it when the limit was 6 base a person, me and mo jr and friends would take well over 50 a weekend it did slow down in porters cove though wonder why?
GOD BLESS
mo
1MOFISH
Novice Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/15 21:41:37 (permalink)
dicks had them on sale for 2.47$ a pack bought all they had in cranberry
GOD BLESS
mo
ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

I'm 'bout half tempted to eat one ov them big fat suckers (Bass) purdy soon. Havin' a hard time gettin' Crappie 12" & up from shore so far. Plus them guys in their fancy Bass boats all slicked up in fancy clothin' is gettin' to me while I'm wading with a wet left sock Now Timmy's little friend just stopped in & has a $57,000 Bass boat plus a 2nd Bass boat & wants to go out now

Hey Pork did you lose 2 ov my super secret 3" swim baits for Pike to snags on Sun.? A guy on a canoe gave me one yesterday thinkin' it was mine & I snagged one today. Very nice leaders on 'em, thanks if they were yours. I was down to one in that sz. & the eyes are missing on it.

crappy

Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/16 08:15:51 (permalink)

crappy

My Dad lost one, and my Father in Law lost one... Hand tied leaders (50lb mono with barrel swivel on one end and snap on the other). Hopefully the work for ya! Pretty sure both of those guys were using 6lb or so running line, wonder why they lost them.

BTW - I tested a few of my homemade lures when I was there. I need to make some adjustments to a few. When I get them ready for use, one has your name on it. The plan is to have a 100% homemade wiper season... Until I am skunked after an hour and break into the takle box or start tossing the throw net. I already purchased the permit, wouldn't want to waste money... (I never said 100% this year.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/16 17:23:56 (permalink)
Thought they had to be from you or startinout. That was one ov 'em & the other had a stainless snap/barrel onto a snap/barrel steel leader tied to a 4" double mono tied to another barrel. Dragged it in with 8 lb. cheap mono still attached to the plant

Caught some nice L/M with the one yesterday. Water temp. 54 - 58* That one big homemade lure u were using a couple weeks ago looked purdy nice. Please autograph the one with my name on it ok?

Later
post edited by crappiefisher - 2012/03/16 17:25:57
startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/16 18:45:32 (permalink)
I don't lose em.  It's shallow enough and they're hard enough to come by that I'd probably jump in and retrieve it if I got snagged. :)
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/16 19:01:36 (permalink)
I never got a autographed Field & Stream magazine "The Young Guns" article with photo from u. So I ain't talk'n to u no more

crappy

Or ov the Bass Pro Shop Catalog or even a copy ov the hunting commercial u were in. So there

On 2nd. thought u don't own a Bass Boat & have a Walleye boat & promised me some of your killer homemade walleye spinners for Arthur so disregard my remarks, ok??

post edited by crappiefisher - 2012/03/16 19:55:27
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/17 16:27:42 (permalink)
Anybody else having luck finding feeding schools of Big Byrds yet? 30"ers??
Icastalot
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/17 20:32:51 (permalink)
First trip tomorrow. If anyone has any tips, send it.

Thanks
peeta08
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/18 18:54:25 (permalink)

Anybody else having luck finding feeding schools of Big Byrds yet? 30"ers??

Didn't locate a school, but caught 2 Saturday while fishing for Bass in Muddy Creek. 6lb. 2oz, 8lb.14oz. Got a pic of the big one.
Icastalot
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/18 19:26:33 (permalink)
Nice day on the lake today. Not many fish, but did see a bald eagle. Pretty cool.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/19 10:16:41 (permalink)
Nice day on the lake today. Not many fish, but did see a bald eagle. Pretty cool

Heard a few guys fishing from boats saying they came up to see the Eagles they heard about from there buddies. Haven't seen the Osprey yet. Love watching them put a show on.

Would be nice to see a pic. of a fish once in a while from the lake. But after a member posted one his daughter caught & a guy posted one Walleye & another guy posted a Muskie some members went in a uproar over it

Are we aloud to post any this yr. or not? Might make the topic a little more colorful than just askin' what the water temp is & so on.

crappy
Bdugg
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/20 20:35:16 (permalink)
anyone have the current water temps? are the bass getting active?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/20 21:12:49 (permalink)
At 3:00 am this morning I got 59* where I was fishing. Bass out the Gazoo for the last several weeks.

crappy
nhm90
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/20 22:49:40 (permalink)
Is the water level back to normal yet?

(Can I safely launch my 17' deep V at the 528 launch?)

Check out my Android Fish Logging Application: Fish Logger Pro
Log catches on the map using GPS, including weather data, photos, bait used, angler, waterway details and much more!
outfishya
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/21 22:23:53 (permalink)
Any info on the crappie bite? Trying to head out on Saturday for first time this year.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/22 07:16:28 (permalink)
Picking up a lb. ov minnies today.

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/22 08:47:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: outfishya

Any info on the crappie bite? Trying to head out on Saturday for first time this year.

Went out yesterday with my dad and father in law. When we found them, we had a hard time keeping them off of the hook. Probably 150 between 3 of us. Only a handful in the keeping range though. Not sure if the snap from the sunny and 80, to raining and 60s will keep them going or same spots. The surface water temp was as high as 66, with main lake around 60... I imagine some of the shallows were getting close to 70. Swimming in March??? I felt like it yesterday, after forgetting the sunblock!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/23 00:10:53 (permalink)
I shudda used the Gulp Minnows (smaller version) for Crappie tonight instead ov the real thing. Been having better luck with the Gulps so far this yr. Heard tonight that yesterday a 55" Pike was taken. If true woulda liked to see a pic. ov that hog. But then again a neighbor lad was fishing near me tonight & said he caught a bunch ov Bass then took them home & came back & caught a bunch more, nothing under 24"

crappy
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/23 00:18:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 1MOFISH

ive been eatin those large faced bass from moraine by the hundreds they taste real good all summer liked it when the limit was 6 base a person, me and mo jr and friends would take well over 50 a weekend it did slow down in porters cove though wonder why?
GOD BLESS
mo

Mo,

You guys fish M/C in the fall? A couple guys take well over a hundred home yr. after yr., some nice hogs (fish) to boot, Just wonderin'

crappy
1MOFISH
Novice Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/23 09:34:00 (permalink)
no only through the hard water they taste like dirt other than winter ill bet they are there now no pressure this year the bridge pier should be hot in the mouth of m/c and crappie point
GOD BLESS
mo

ORIGINAL: 1MOFISH

GOD BLESS
mo

Mo,

You guys fish M/C in the fall? A couple guys take well over a hundred home yr. after yr., some nice hogs (fish) to boot, Just wonderin'

crappy

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/23 10:21:02 (permalink)
You would think, but doing better else where. Gonna hit the lake with my 2 sons later today 7'o.w & see what happens.

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Arthur 2012/03/23 11:31:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: H3Fisher

Anyone use the Gulp Alive Minnows up Arthur? Any Luck or tips on rigging them? Have a free container of 4 inch minnows coming in for free lol, figure I'll try them out.

Also hope that this rain passes us up or holds of on Sunday, I need to go out again!

I used some the other day, but figured they weren't worth wasting @ $7 per jar. I was getting them on anything that I threw out.

4" would be too big for crappie, but probably work for LM. The 1"ers work well for crappie, especially if they are looking for the small snacks. They're expensive, but so is 2-3 doz. minnows, if they aren't biting, and just dump out. The $7 jar (probably a lot cheaper outside of bait shops) should last a few months, with 5-6 fish caught on one, reusing.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to: