Fly Fishing Beginner

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/04 12:33:17 (permalink)

Fly Fishing Beginner

Umm not sure where else to start this thread, if it's in the wrong place please move 

But here goes, I've fished all my life for every type of fish I can. And Now, I think I'd like to take a stab at fly fishing. So my question is, I'm 19 years old, I can catch on to things pretty quick. And my budget is somewhat limited. So, It'd be appreciated it anyone could give me some input on some fly rods, mainly one for Steelhead, but i'd also like a lighter one for trout and whatever may. Any Info on what type of  rod, or rod and reel combos or flys, and maybe prices too? This would be greatly appreciated. 

18 Replies Related Threads

Rtom45
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/04 13:00:25 (permalink)
    You should be able to search this site for answers.  Similar questions have been asked many times and there are lots of threads here that discuss setups suitable for steelhead as well as answers to your question about fly rods for other fishing.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/04 13:01:49 (permalink)
    I copied the following from the home page FishErie.com  Do a search on this board and you will find many, many threads that answers this question.

Floating line is the norm. The creeks are typically too shallow for any type of sinking line. Be sure to use sufficient backing to be able to play the fish.

Leader and tippet sizes depend, as always, to a large degree on what flies you are using. Many anglers tie their own leaders. Since you are often fishing with split shot, this is not finesse fly fishing and it is not necessary to have a perfectly tapered leader. Similarly, the leader need not be too long for this type of fishing, unless you are fishing in very clear water with a very small fly. Under normal conditions, a leader and tippet combination that is not longer than the rod itself should work. A longer leader and tippet combination on the small creeks will be too long and difficult to handle. Many anglers tie in at least one length of high visibility line in the upper end of the leader.

Not surprisingly, small
    flies (e.g., size 12 or smaller) should be fished with a light tippet. 5x and lighter tippet will have difficulty landing steelhead. 3x and 4x tippet is popular.

Whether fluorocarbon tippet actually helps produce strikes remains a point of dispute in this area.

Rod

Anglers typically use
    rods from 5 to 8 weight. A 5 weight rod will not give you much backbone to land a large steelhead, and an 8 weight rod has more than enough backbone. Many agree a 7 weight, 9 foot rod is ideal.

Reel

Any respectable
    fly reel should work. An smooth disk drag is certainly helpful for playing a larger fish. Generally a reel which accommodates a 6 to 8 weight line will work well. Large arbor reels have become common

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/04 13:08:16 (permalink)
    Beerman gave you some pretty good advice.  I would suggest you call FishUSA and ask for Brian.  He can help get you set up at reasonable price with pretty good equipment.  He will also most likely be able to give you some tips of how to catch steelhead.

If you sent me a pm, I will see about sending you a few flies to get you started.

pax vobiscum +
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/04 13:14:38 (permalink)
    Its going to be really hard to give you too many specifics about rods/reels until you have a price range in mind.  But, I would check out cabelas first, they offer a bunch of different combos.  Alot of them are in the under $150 range and include line as well.  For steelhead my personal choice is a 10' 7wt, so my advice to you would be a 9-10' rod in either a 7 or 8 weight.  IMO the 8 weight is a bit heavy for Erie tribs, but if you decide you want to catch bass or salmon it will be much better off than the 7 wt.  I also like a 10' rod which is just my preference, it makes it easier to mend line, keep line off the water, and it helps protect tippet a little better.  As far as a reel, look for one that has a decent backing capacity and a smooth drag.

As far as a trout rod goes arguably the most versatile rod for PA would be a 9' 4wt.

By the way I would recommend medium/fast actions for both rods
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 08:53:54 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,
          I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Go to Wal-mart get a cheap $20 Shakespeare rod and reel combo.  It has everything you need to get started.  Use the money you have left to buy some extra 6 pound tippett or some extra 25# backing.  Get a few flies; and then try to get somebody from one of these boards to take you out and show you how to fish for steelies.  The reason I suggest a very cheap rod is:  most people learning to use a fly rod usually break at least one and loosing 20 bucks hurts a lot less than 150.  Some good flies are the fish erie steelhead assortment.  That should have you fishing for under 60 bucks.  After you learn, buy a better rod/reel. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Shenango
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 11:49:12 (permalink)
    I have been fishing steelhead for 10 years now and reading this board for just as long. The WalMart suggestion is the best advise I have yet to see for a beginner. I started flyrodding the same way about 5 years ago and still have the old 5/6 wt. Shakespear in the corner for an emergency or if a friend just wants to give it a try. It 's hard to count the number of steelies this rod with it's clicker drag reel has brought in. You don't need a $500 rod and reel to have fun with steelies. Just go out and enjoy the scenery and don't forget the sucker spawn and blood dots.

Jerry
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 13:25:55 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,

Follow Bughawk's advice, call Fish USA!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 13:33:57 (permalink)
    I would not go as extreme as a $20-$30 outfit. You can pick up an SI or similar combo for less than $100. Fish USA surely has something of this caliber. While it may not make sense to spend big money to start, buying to low a quality is also senseless. A poor quality outfit can easily make a frustrating process, even more so. Many people have given up on things because their cheap "starter" outfit never gave them a chance to truely experience them.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    STEELJUNKIE420
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 14:03:12 (permalink)
    Fishusa has a Okuma Magnitude Fly Rod and Reel setup 9,6"     7 wt    line I believe said 7 to 8 wt   for  $130   I am thinking about trying a fly rod out and I do not want to spend a whole lot for a beginner setup. Check it out, I have yet to find anything better in that price range for us newbies.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 14:17:30 (permalink)

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    STEELJUNKIE420
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 14:32:42 (permalink)
    Hey Spoon, Do you think that reddington would be a better starter than the one from Okuma? I must have missed the reddington when I was looking but I don't really know what I am lookin for anyways. I do well with my spining setup but I am getting tired of my buddy catching more fish  with his fly rod. I know you guys get a better more smooth drift, where as my spin setup kinda has a swing to the drift with alittle drag to it. Who knows! Maybe it's just me but I still want to try my hand with a fly rod and more importantly with a cheaper one. Nothing would burn my buddies A#$ more than me catching more fish than him with a cheap rod, He could have bought a used car with the money he paid for that Sage he uses. Let me know what you think Spoon.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 14:52:46 (permalink)
    A fly rod makes it a bit easier to mend line, and control your drift, but it can also be done with spinning gear ( it takes practice with either one ). There are times, and situations where each have an advantage over the other. Picking up the flea pole, will give you another option, and options are always good. Experience will teach you which option to choose.

I have not used either set up, so I can't really say which would be better. Both would more than likely be satifactory to start. The type of fishing, and casting that is done on the tribs. does not reflect the difference between a high end, and mid range rod. You can though easily notice the difference in reel quality.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 21:22:27 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot everyone who posted and espically bug. I think I may just try the 100 dollar combo. If I break the rod, theres a good chance I will, i'll probably be a lot happier.

so one last question, what weight for steelhead? im guessing 6-7?

tnx in advance.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 22:24:31 (permalink)
    In your original post, you said something for steel and trout.  6 wt. all the way.
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/05 22:34:32 (permalink)
    I'm just learning myself, and I was using a cheap setup from walmart or somewhere like that...
    then my husband got a decent rod with an Okuma reel at a local flyshop and I couldn't believe the difference!
    in Oct. we went to Cabelas and I got a combo... and think it was around $170. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/06 12:15:38 (permalink)
    I got my stuff at Fishusa, and though I have not actually hooked a steely on the fly yet, I have been very happy with it's performance while catching smallmouth and other trout.  I think I spent a total of 150 on a Reddington rod and Okuma reel.  But something to keep in mind is that fly line costs some dough, flies and tippets/leaders aren't cheap either.  You should be sure to factor in those costs, not just rod/reel.  I ended up spending 230 total to be out on the stream completely set up.  And that's with lower end model stuff.  I would say fly fishing, even with a low "budget", is way more expensive than spinning reel and rod combo's, so prepare yourself for that. 

The great thing is, fly fishing can be much more fun at times, so its worth it, in my opinion. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    MRBM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/06 13:50:11 (permalink)
    My first fly outfit for steelhead was a Cabela's 9' 6wt combo.  I still have it and take it along as a spare rig, although I've moved on to better equipment by now.  You can get one of their combos for about $160, including rod, reel, line, backing, case, chest pack, and other tackle to get you started.  For just steelhead fishing try the 9' 8wt.  It has a moderate-fast action that works well for the kind of "chuck & duck" fishing we do on the tribs.  The rod is guaranteed for two years. 
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fly Fishing Beginner 2007/12/07 14:34:53 (permalink)
    having been in those shoes before i understand how it is trying to find an outfit for both steelhead and trout at the same time. i started out when i was 15 with a cheap shakespear fly rod. then purchased a 7 1/2 4wt that i used for 10 years for every type of species i could use it for. i saved up $200 for the setup. i was used to a 5 1/2' ultralight rod for steelhead up until then also, so switching to a light fly rod was still a step up considering the length of the rod. if you have experience landing larger fish on a lighter rod and feel comfortable doing so, you could look at a 5wt. the only problem with a 5 wt is it takes a little more work to throw the extra weight while fishing for steel. i feel a 6 wt is just too heavy for fishing for trout, but that is just me. there is nothing wrong with starting out with a cheaper setup now and moving up later. they all will land a fish.
    Jump to: