Out of sight, out of mind?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/16 16:33:15 (permalink)

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL

61 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 16:53:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

http://www.butlereagle.com/article/20111115/NEWS12/711169815

I have no problem displaying my license as of now. It shows I'm legal to hunt and I see no excuse for a WCO to stop me while hunting and have me pull it from the holder to verify. This new law only make it harder for WCO's to find out who is legal and who is not. Get Ready !
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 16:58:56 (permalink)
    I find it hard to believe the PGC supports this. Wonder what the WCO input ( if any was sought, or considered ) was?

Of course I also believe it should be an ageny decision, not a legislative one.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/11/16 17:00:32

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 17:06:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I find it hard to believe the PGC supports this. Wonder what the WCO input ( if any was sought, or considered ) was?

Of course I also believe it should be an ageny decision, not a legislative one.

It only makes it tougher to see if a person has a license or not. Sounds like a good excuse just to have a WCO stop you to verify. Yes they supported this but claim they are short handed. I find it more difficult to display my fishing license on me while fishing than hunting. Is the governor going to sign a bill not to display fishing license as well ?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 17:28:50 (permalink)

TOM VENESKY

Hunting license should remain on our backs TOM VENESKY OUTDOORS

Two worn holes adorn the back of each of my hunting coats.

Small game, turkey and deer – three coats for three different seasons -- and all with the same two holes.

They are a result from displaying my hunting license year after year, a tradition I had ever since I started hunting at the age of 12.

The license holder went on my small game jacket first, followed by turkey and then my deer hunting coat. After the rifle deer season ended, the license holder goes back onto my small game coat for some late-season rabbit hunting.

The only other time the license is removed from my coat was when I was lucky enough to shoot a buck and had to fill out the tag.

But soon there might not be a reason for any of us to poke two small holes in the back of our coat or slide a license holder through the loops on the back of a jacket.

House Bill 460 would remove the requirement to display a hunting license. The bill has the support of Pennsylvania Game Commission officials, who are all right with the idea of hunters simply carrying their license in their wallet.

In my opinion, it’s a bad idea for a number of reasons.

When I hunt, I want to be burdened with as little belongings as possible. Rather than load my pockets up with things I don’t need, I take the bare essentials into the woods.

That means leaving my wallet behind. I have no use for it in the woods and I don’t need to be worried about losing it while crawling through a thick briar tangle.

But convenience isn’t the only reason why I feel it’s important to display a hunting license.

It also serves as a good law enforcement tool – namely for other hunters -- who can, at times, obtain a license number when they suspect someone of a violation.

The law enforcement benefit is compromised a bit, however, with the new-look yellow licenses with much smaller numbers that are difficult to see.

Many hunters support the legislation to remove the display requirement, and some argue that it’s too easy to lose a hunting license when you have to pin it on a coat.

But not having to display a license could increase the amount of checks conducted by a Wildlife Conservation Officer. Right now, chances are if a WCO sees a hunter afield with a license on his back, he won’t venture out to check him or her.

It takes the guesswork out of things and there’s no wondering who has a license and who doesn’t.

But will the removal of the display requirement force WCOs to stop and check everyone they encounter just to make sure they have a valid hunting license?

And how will hunters react to being stopped and checked more frequently? Will they mind being stopped and having to take out their wallet or dig through their pockets to find their hunting license and identification?

I’m willing to bet most will view it as a burden and some might even feel they’re being harassed, even though the WCO is just doing his or her job.

When it comes to hunters having to display their license, the approach taken should be similar to that of license plates on vehicles.

All cars and trucks have to display a current license plate, which greatly aids law enforcement and private citizens alike.

One quick glance at the bumper of a car will tell you if it’s legal or not.

Shouldn’t the same hold true for hunters?

After all, if the owner of a vehicle has to display a valid license on their car, it’s certainly not unreasonable to require a hunter to do the same.

Read more: http://www.timesleader.com/sports/Hunting_license_should_remain_on_our_backs_TOM_VENESKY_OUTDOORS_10-24-2010.html#ixzz1duU7mQ28
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 17:35:56 (permalink)
    For the folks that think more inspections are coming because of the removal of mandatory display, you can always still pin the license to the middle of your back.

I will keep my license in my wallet. I for one am happy to see this legislation pass.

Will not be in effect till 60 days after the governor signs it into law. Essentially, that will take us till maybe late January.

My rifle is a black rifle
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 17:36:49 (permalink)
    I think it just gives them an excuse to stop you and look through your personal effects, vehicle, cabin, etc.

Displaying my fishing license never deterred any officer from stopping me and reading me the riot act.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 17:40:41 (permalink)
    I will keep pinning it to my back - for the simple reason that I want minimal pocket contents (wallet).

Another dumb idea IMO.

(maybe the new license will have a chip and the WCO's can use their new high-tech body scanners to read the barcode (ya know - the scanners they will be issued - along with their M-16's for 205 yard shootouts ).
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 18:08:00 (permalink)
    Letting them enforce the traffic code for probable cause so they can stop you is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard of.

If you don't have probable cause to check someone for a HUNTING violation then leave them the he11 alone...

Bunch of BS.

Seems like many of the other states have a no show license, don't know why it won't work here.

Do away with displaying that dam fishing license too......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:02:16 (permalink)
    RC, They don't need anything else to stop and search you or your car. Really don't even need "probable cause", unlike a policeman...WF
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:36:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

RC, They don't need anything else to stop and search you or your car. Really don't even need "probable cause", unlike a policeman...WF

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that its just one more excuse for the officer to stop you to have a look-see.

"Hey, the reason I stopped you was to check your hunting license. Do you mind if I have a look in your backpack? Ok, I'm going to check the bed of your truck. What do you have in that cooler? Do you mind opening it up for me? I see you have a foldable saw. What is that for? You have an empty beer can in the bed of your truck. Do you like to drink and drive?"

I was under the naive assumption that the reason hunting and fishing licenses were to be worn in a visible fashion was so that these officers could check you from afar and would leave hunters and fisherman the F alone.

Kind of like a pork sandwich can now pull you over, solely for having your seatbelt off, or maybe because he "thinks" you're not wearing your seatbelt. The whole goal is so they can stick their head inside your vehicle and see what other violations they can find...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:36:12 (permalink)
    I'll keeping pinning my hunting license, I dont take my wallet in the field.

I wish we didnt need to display for fishing, as I could stuff the license in the boat and not worry about forgeting it
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:45:49 (permalink)
    Since the inception of the new yellow licenses with tiny lettering, you can't see the licenses from any sort of distance anyhow.  Every time I have been checked, the WCO asked for me to remove my license from the holder to determine whether or not I had the proper tags.  My point being that the WCO can not verify all of the information he would need by just examining the license while displayed.  

Why not just keep the thing in your wallet like you do in most other states with the realization that one way or another the WCO will likely need to see more than just the part that currently must be displayed?

It is about time for this one to go through.
    LOVETOSHOOT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:46:23 (permalink)
    I believe that you are supposed to carry your ID with you PSU. Do you take your's out of your wallet?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:48:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I was under the naive assumption that the reason hunting and fishing licenses were to be worn in a visible fashion was so that these officers could check you from afar and would leave hunters and fisherman the F alone.

It is not possible to check the new style license from any distance.  The print is too small to read and with hunting licenses, not all privileges must be displayed on your back.

Quite honestly if they only were verifying licenses from a distance, a yellow piece of paper with some black pen scribbled on it would do just fine. 
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 20:50:23 (permalink)

You are full of bologna.

Game Commission Officers have to have exactly the same amount of cause and justification to make a stop or detention as what any other officer needs, no more and no less. They also need exactly the same elements of probable cause to do a search or make an arrest as any other officer needs.

It has been that way for a long, long time and ruled as such by the courts of this Commonwealth.

What is different that what some other officers have though is that WCOs don’t need any probable cause or reasonable suspicion to check your hunting or fishing license because the courts of this Commonwealth, as in most other state, have ruled that hunting and fishing are highly regulated activities that justify the Officer making a short detention to check for compliance of the licenses and permits.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 21:02:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LOVETOSHOOT

I believe that you are supposed to carry your ID with you PSU. Do you take your's out of your wallet?

I put my LTCF in my license pouch, never carry my Drivers License. It's a photo ID issued by Clarion County..so if the local WCO has trouble with it, I'll take my chances with the local magistrate
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 21:07:17 (permalink)
      I've invited PGCO"s in my house to talk & they said it was against policy. Another time one asked to use my phone. Which is it???
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 21:13:46 (permalink)
    Game Commission Officers have to have exactly the same amount of cause and justification to make a stop or detention as what any other officer needs, no more and no less.

Hmmm... You should tell that to many of the ones who have stopped me...

- T. Fleming
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 21:26:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

You are full of bologna.

Game Commission Officers have to have exactly the same amount of cause and justification to make a stop or detention as what any other officer needs, no more and no less. They also need exactly the same elements of probable cause to do a search or make an arrest as any other officer needs.

It has been that way for a long, long time and ruled as such by the courts of this Commonwealth.

What is different that what some other officers have though is that WCOs don’t need any probable cause or reasonable suspicion to check your hunting or fishing license because the courts of this Commonwealth, as in most other state, have ruled that hunting and fishing are highly regulated activities that justify the Officer making a short detention to check for compliance of the licenses and permits.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Curiosity seems to be a favorite "probable cause" for some DWCO's and WCO's a like. Hunters are getting fed up !
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/16 21:35:28 (permalink)
    All of what I wrote in quotes up top was actually said to me by officers...

I had a guy grill me for 20 minutes because there was a single empty beer can in the bed of my truck. My favorite line was: "Do you enjoy drunk driving?" I was totally sober, it was the middle of the day, and I had picked the can up up and thrown it in the back of my truck because it was laying on the ground when I parked.

- T. Fleming
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 06:51:28 (permalink)
    RSB..I cry BS on that fact. I was stopped and detained, with my 14 year old son in my car with me by 2 WCO's. We had NO hunting clothes on. They checked, under my protest, which was noted,our guns,cased,and the trunk of my car. I was asked to produce a hunting license for both of us,which I did under protest again.Since we had no hunting clothes on and as not in the process of hunting, they had absolutly NO reason to stop us or ask for a license check. The last time I looked, it is not illegal to have guns in a case in your trunk.The WCO turned his car to block mine so I had to stop.The only probable cause was we were in a rural area that people hunt in. I asked if there was some complaint against us and was told there was none.This is the real world out there and episodes like this is why the distrust is prevailent in the hunting community...WF
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 07:17:11 (permalink)
    Mabee you had a tail light out.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 07:23:41 (permalink)
    9 am in a goose blind on private fields near Shenango Lake, two of us and my dog completely legal. Birds working nicely until two of the PGC's finest decided to park, cross the field and give us a full equipment check. They were respectful enough, but they screwed our hunt completely and had absolutely zero reason (no complaints or indication of laws being broken) for checking us. Show me probable cause or justification.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 07:28:43 (permalink)
    Headin out to the gamelands public shooting range this morning. I know it was mentioned before, but thought it fitting for this thread. If you are gonna use the range you need to have your hunting liscense with you. We were checked 2 weeks ago by WCO. He said that they are no longer giving warnings and handing out citations. Taking that 44 mag back out with some Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Hope it works.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 07:49:14 (permalink)
    I'm sure it was probably asked before; do I have to produce a hunting license to watch tweety birds on PaGame Lands bird watch areas?...WF
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 07:55:42 (permalink)
    I have been chest deep in water a few times when a warden on the bank cheked my licenes with binoks instead of having me come out of the water just to see if my tag was curent watched him check alot of guys that day in boats to otherwise would have to come in or be checked on the water. I think it will result in more checks like was said earlyer.

!!!!FISH ON!!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 08:05:14 (permalink)

RSB..I cry BS on that fact. I was stopped and detained, with my 14 year old son in my car with me by 2 WCO's. We had NO hunting clothes on. They checked, under my protest, which was noted,our guns,cased,and the trunk of my car. I was asked to produce a hunting license for both of us,which I did under protest again.Since we had no hunting clothes on and as not in the process of hunting, they had absolutly NO reason to stop us or ask for a license check. The last time I looked, it is not illegal to have guns in a case in your trunk.The WCO turned his car to block mine so I had to stop.The only probable cause was we were in a rural area that people hunt in. I asked if there was some complaint against us and was told there was none.This is the real world out there and episodes like this is why the distrust is prevailent in the hunting community...WF

Never would have happend if your grey wolf didn't have his head hanging out of the window while you were driving.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 08:10:34 (permalink)
    I like the idea of not displaying my license.  In firearms deer season, I often go from the tree stand, where I wear a HSS vest, to still hunting, where I get rid of that heavy vest and switch to a lighter, more quiet one, and back again.  I just know that one of these ties, I am going to forget to swap the license.  In addition, I don't wear my license when guiding or hunting on a preserve (not required), but need one when I hunt off the reservation for upland game.  If I had a dollar for every time I had to turn around and head back home after a few blocks to get my license, I could buy next year's license.  Heck, I actually forgot it once this year (that makes me a slob hunter according to Doc) and didn't realize it until I got home and hung up my vest and there was no license on it.

With the change I will buy my license, put it in my wallet and that will be that.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Out of sight, out of mind? 2011/11/17 13:07:11 (permalink)
    Here's the thing. In other states, Law Enforcment does not "check" you for a license. If they feel you have committed a violation then they will check you. But they do not interrupt your hunt, just to see if you have a license. Checking to see if you have a license is busy work and in my opinion disrespectful and a waste of our license dollars. How about we assume everyone is innocent until proven guilty and only check those who are committing violations? or am I crazy?

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: