A cry for help...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 20:25:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: psu_fish

If you feel your unpaid or underprotected as a WCO, find a new profession. Nobody forced you into it

The early retirement would have absolutely zero benefit to me even if it were passed tomorrow. I have been around long enough I could retire tomorrow with no penalties. And, I wouldn’t have retired early even if I could have.  

But, as I have already pointed out even though most wouldn’t retire early it would be a good option for those that you probably don’t want still doing the job anyway.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 20:37:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Don't try that BS on me RSB, They will be paying the retiree at the same time they are paying his replacement for the 15 years the retiree would have been working. Plus they will be paying the retiree that 50% for 15 years to 65 so he is way ahead of the fellow who retires at 65 and he has to live a long time just to get even.. Why do you think they said IF they got the license increase then they would ask to spend some of that money to increase the retirement benefit of the WCO's. Plus the retiree will get all the overtime he can during hunting season and retire at the end of that quarter just as the state troopers built theirs up during the prison riots and then retired. Just because I point out facts you can't dispute you have no option but to attack me as anti government. I am just anti B.S.

There is no benefit to anyone but the affeced WCO's and there is substantial cost to the rest.

Ok then let’s demand that ALL other state officers be removed from the 20 and 50 retirement they have had for decades.

Why should the Game WCO be the ONLY officers in the state system that doesn’t have it as an option?

No one complained when it was given to the dog law officers or to corrections officers or the Fish and Boat Officers. But, God forbid Game WCOs should ask to have it too.

It just shows the level of bias some people have toward Game WCOs. Any wonder why we get short with people that harbor such attitudes?

R.S. Bodenhorn  
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 20:44:15 (permalink)
Sounds like you need a better lobbyist in Harrisburg if PFBC WCO's have it and you dont
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:00:34 (permalink)
   That older guy who knows how to diffuse a situation only works till  ya run into 'that one comitted idiot'  I got outa Narco in my early 50s after a fistfight with a guy who just shot 3 - killed one. Went to fraud-got a desk and an office ahhhhhh=made me nuts-retired.
     Just wasnt up to it anymore and that fight proved it. Its a young persons game no matter how ya cut it. I know some will think 'reasonable' stuff up over coffee at the bkfst table---and thats all it is -table talk- not real life.
Knew a guy who kept his High School job in a clothing store all his life - then crabbed whenever he heard bout anyone with a better deal- lifes fulla choices.
    BTW- did ya know that LE doesnt get the social security all you other folks get. When I got out the MAX for retired LE was bout 450 a month-even if ya paid full all your life. Dont ask - the good folks in DC did that LE exception long ago????  THATS why they get a different kinda pension- and most pay a lot extra each week outa their pay to get it.
    Grouse bout it any way ya want but thats the way it is. BTW do any of you guys have a job that looked at in the microscope and torn apart daily like you do the the Game Wardens here. I think NOT. How would you like it--- Oh yea ya didnt have to take the job-- OK - neither did you- ya know with that other pension - if any- sometimes jealousy can easily be construed as a political opinion- thinly veiled but nontheless easy.
     Or even a way of covering up an ooops I shoulda thought bout that 20 years ago moment.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/11/16 21:04:56
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:06:25 (permalink)
It just shows the level of bias some people have toward Game WCOs. Any wonder why we get short with people that harbor such attitudes?

R.S. Bodenhorn

Or it may have something to do with the fact that the PGC is crying poor and can't fund any game research or raise any more ringnecks until they get a license increase. Then we find out that really what they want is a better retirement package for their employees and will spend additional funds on that and are even willing to use the death of one of their own to futher that cause. Pathetic
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:13:11 (permalink)
I got outa Narco in my early 50s after

Big difference with what a Narc encounters on a daily basis and what a WCO encounters. Just look at the two job descriptions side by side or look at the statistics of deaths and injuries side by side. That's apples and oranges. If anyone deserves an early out
it would be Bings but that isn't going to happen either unless he cuts a widow maker.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:18:11 (permalink)
   Not tryin to pound guys with other opinions 10 just pointing out that its LE - of any kind- who gotta deal with the nuts. Sooner or later some kinda LE pops into their disorganized life and they go wacky.
  Everyone else calls LE to handle them be it a druggie of a poacher - same issue. At least most LE can get help in fairly short order- Coming from a family of Wardens I know they dont always have that luxery.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:30:13 (permalink)
I like to deal in facts and statistics as they tend to paint a better picture than emotion or opinions. Heck, I have family members that were Pa leo's of one kind or another but in spite of stories I may of heard the facts say being a Pa WCO is not a high risk job. Again, look at the job descriptons, LE is a small part of their job. One officer killed in the line of duty in 100 years. I'll bet Bings knows of more than that killed in his line of work in the last ten. I'am sure the job has it's moments, but not all that often.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:33:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

This one really stands out as a Bozo the Clown wishlist item.

Equipping with M-16's for 205 yd shootouts with bad guys?

Gimme a break - perhaps Dooley should suggest that, in such a case, the Game Wardens BACK OFF, and call in the REAL SWAT teams that are heavily equipped with all the good "Black Stuff" bought with taxpayer's money.

Heavy caliber rifles for dispatching wounded animals?
Gimme another break...(I guess instant-death brain pan shots via service revolver are now obsolete).

You have obviously never had someone shooting at you with their deer rifle while you hid behind what ever cover you can find for an hour or more waiting for PSP to arrive with a rifle capable of effectively returning fire. That hour of waiting is pretty much a best case scenario too and dependant on whether you can even safely get to your radio and then if anyone is monitoring the call so you can even let someone know you need some help.

I spend countless hours out there on investigations and apprehending poachers and other criminals where I have no radio or phone contact with anyone. The portables we are issued only work at close range and unless I am working with another Officer are useless for getting backup. I have almost no cell phone coverage once I leave the major highways so I am mostly on my own to protect myself. I can just hope no hunter starts shooting at me with their rifle, and during the majority of the season they all have one, while all I am issued and permitted to carry is a handgun with an accuracy range of about 50 yards. Even if we do have another WCO with you it doesn’t make it any better to have two officers pinned down with rifle fire and unable to effectively return fire than it is to have only one officer pinned down when neither one of them has anything but a handgun with them. If is one officer can get out of the line of fire and get back to the vehicle they still can’t provide much in the way of direct assistance until someone gets there with a rifle capable of returning some longer range firepower than a handgun.

Hopefully the officers never need any of the firearms they are issued and train with, but when you do need a firearm to save your life nothing else really seems to work very well.

R.S. Bodenhorn
A clerk at a convenience store has more encounters than WCO's. Who you kidding RSB ?
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:44:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

ORIGINAL: dpms

I am all for equipping LE with the best weapons available within the scope of their possible engagements.

Does a game officer need a scoped sniper rifle? I don't believe so, but a tactical patrol rifle would surely come in handy, IMO.  Whether that is a tactical semi shotgun or M4 carbine. 

If a WCO feels they need a more efficient weapon let them use their personal weapons while on duty.

In the reality of the world of law enforcement you can’t carry or use any type of weapon that you haven’t been training to use in a tactical and/or lethal force manner.

So for your suggestion to have merit they would have to establish a training program for each person firearm being used by any officer. It only makes sense to get firearms that are the same so each officer is carrying and training with the same weapon as every other WCO.

But, I am not even going to say that the highest priority would be to equip WCOs with a rifle. I would feel the first step should be to get us portable radios that reach the various County Control Centers and State Police Barracks so we have radio contact with someone once we get out of our vehicles. Once I set foot out of my vehicle I am on my own until and unless I can get back to my vehicle to radio for assistance. Sometimes I am miles from my vehicle executing an arrest without even having phone coverage. That is not a very comfortable experience at times.

R.S. Bodenhorn    

Didn't you have ACT 235 training ? Maybe next time you need help you could Tweet or post on Facebook since that seems to be the PGC priorities now days .
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 21:56:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

What it would do is allow Officers who are burned out or simply no longer want to do law enforcement the option to retire instead of them basically forced, financially, to stay on the job after they no longer have any interest in it. Are those the type of Officers we want on the job, just because they can’t qualify for retirement yet without paying a financial penalty for early retirement? 

My profession is Physical Therapy. I must work till I am in my mid sixties to begin to draw on my investment plan without getting penalized.  Pensions and early retirement packages do not exist for myself and for most of those in the private sector. 

Being burned out by 50 can happen to anyone. Every day for me has it challenges working with folks with serious health issues. That is not an excuse to do a poor job nor is it an excuse to expect early retirement with benefits. My options are to retire early with the penalities that go with it,  look for another career or keep working doing the best job that I can. My patients would expect no less.  Neither would the sportsmen of this state, in your case.

There is one huge difference though. You don’t have to deal with criminals that would like to kick your azz or perhaps even try to kill you at any given moment while you are arresting them.

Anyone who thinks that most people in their 50 and 60s have any type of law enforcement edge, other than using deadly force, when in combat with a much younger assailant hasn’t ever been in a real life or death battle.

Do we really want law enforcement officers out other there that no longer have the physical or mental ability to do the job without perhaps using deadly force when a younger officer might have been able to use a lesser means of force to bring the same incident to a successful conclusion?

It is not simply a matter of drawing their pension; it also has a lot to do with what makes sense from professional law enforcement standards. That is why the 20 and 50 retirement has been the standard for ALL other state law enforcement officers. Why should it be different for Game Commission WCOs than it is for ALL other state officers?

R.S. Bodenhorn

You act like every WCO is engaged in deadly combat on a daily basics. What a misleading post. How many are fat and ride around in vehicles preying on hunters? When a WCO hits 50 let them hang bird houses and teach safety courses. A WCO's job is not as dangerous as you would like everyone to think it is.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 22:49:16 (permalink)
Actually the facts provided by those that have studied the various Officer assault and rural crime rates pretty well establish that it is you who doesn’t have even a slight clue of what you are talking about. But, that has never prevented you from your incorrect and misleading comments and general nonsense in the past so I am sure the facts will not mean any to you or some of the others on this site.

But for those interested and willing to learn, here are a couple of links that provide some of the facts of what Conservation Officers really deal with.

[color=#800080 size=3]http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1988/19881007.pdf

[color=#800080 size=3]http://www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads/papers/PoliceStaff/Patrol,%20Operations,%20Tactics/RURAL%20POLICING.pdf
 R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 23:00:40 (permalink)
Finally we agree ! Your right these mean nothing to me. They are very out dated to start with. Comparing MI to Pa is really scratching in my opinion also. Really RSB, 1988 data is the best you could come up with ?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 23:10:31 (permalink)
As Doc would say that is ancient history...

Since '88 I know of 5 dead loggers that I have worked with.
Many more injuries than I care to remember.
Not sore backs or hemeroids, busted, broken, cut, smashed men.

We don't have a union.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 23:16:41 (permalink)
    Next time ya need help call a convenience store clerk-apparantly the stats show that  he got the experience.
  Love guys who read 'stats' and know all bout something- Ever meet anyone who read a book bout how to swim- then jumped in a deep lake.
   There is a reason you never met anyone like that.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/16 23:46:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Next time ya need help call a convenience store clerk-apparantly the stats show that  he got the experience.
Love guys who read 'stats' and know all bout something- Ever meet anyone who read a book bout how to swim- then jumped in a deep lake.
  There is a reason you never met anyone like that.

Now don't get yourself all upset because you once carried a badge. I have had this discussion about WCO's with many branches of law enforcement including private firms that have more training and hands on with force on force than you probably ever thought about. A fireman, local and state police have more of a risk than a WCO. WCO's are not riding around in the dark alone during their entire career. It's not as dangerous as they would want you to believe. The private firm I'm very familiar with works with local police ,sheriff dept,fire dept. state and federal L/E, other federal agencies including the FBI plus the PBFC and PGC. All agree the level of risk with a WCO is very low. Like everybody else they always want more if they can squeeze it under the door.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 06:47:34 (permalink)
But for those interested and willing to learn, here are a couple of links that provide some of the facts of what Conservation Officers really deal with.

What I read is an assualt doesn't even have to result in harm to be considered. Merely a threat of harm. Now go on the web and look at the number of murders, aggratived assults and simple assults on normal citizens in their normal day of life to compare.

A police officers job is much more dangerous than a WCO's and even they are not in the top ten most dangerous.

Besides the topic really isn't how dangerous the job is or is not but why you are more interested in spending the PGC's money on early retirement rather on items or additional help that could make the job safer. The safety issue is just a smokescreen to deflect critisim
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 07:45:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Besides the topic really isn't how dangerous the job is or is not but why you are more interested in spending the PGC's money on early retirement rather on items or additional help that could make the job safer.

Yep.  I admire and respect all of those that choose law enforcement as a career.  With that said, those that enter it know the road that lies ahead.  Just the same as most of us do within our places of employment. 

When the jockey gets heavier than the horse then problems are gonna start occuring.  In this country, the jockey is gaining weight by the day and soon the horse is gonna not be able to carry the weight.  Not enough emphasis on the horse as the horse is the one paying the bills.

The horse doesn't recieve bailouts, entitlements, great benefit and retirements packages and salaries disporportionatly higher than those in the private sector.
post edited by dpms - 2011/11/17 09:01:53

My rifle is a black rifle
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 08:01:17 (permalink)
I fully support giving wardens all the equipment they need to do their jobs effectively: be it sat. phones, M4's (or, there has to be some surplus M1s or similar out there that would have cheap ammo and still be effective), better radios, more funding through a license increase to hire more WCOs, etc.

But, as far as retirements go, I'll stay with my staunch, conservative nature and suggest the 20/50's the other LEO's have are too generous. How about making it 25/55 or 30/60, across the board for all state LEOs. I know that would go over like a lead balloon in all those organizations but it is the taxpayer picking up the tab and last time I looked, PA wasn't doing all too well financially. Yes, LE is a stressful, demanding job but the two options I just put forth are still better then the majority of blue collar and white collar jobs in PA that would pay a similar salary.

Just a question, do LEO's (or at least the majority of them), get healthcare coverage in retirement?
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 08:30:16 (permalink)

You have obviously never had someone shooting at you with their deer rifle while you hid behind what ever cover you can find for an hour or more waiting for PSP to arrive with a rifle capable of effectively returning fire.

No I haven't.

Have you?

If so, kindly post up the date/location of the incident, or better yet, post up a link -because I am sure it made the news.

I await your response.

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 09:41:16 (permalink)
Hey Drake- nice to see you over here-
Hey - think the point is the WCO has a job where that may happen- everyone else???
 Kinda think thats why he gets the loaded gun.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/11/17 12:42:09
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 12:50:36 (permalink)
Any wonder why we get short with people that harbor such attitudes?

R.S. Bodenhorn

PGC employees are paid and supposedly trained to relate to and deal with the public. That statement is entered here as proof that further PR training is needed by all PGC employees. If I said something similar as a teacher, I would be fired.

That said, I am not totally opposed to 20/50, but I have some mods that I think should apply to all LE under the program. At 20 or 50 you are rotated out to a desk or non LE position for the last 10 years. I call it the 20/50/30 total program.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 15:13:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Drake- nice to see you over here-
Hey - think the point is the WCO has a job where that may happen- everyone else???
Kinda think thats why he gets the loaded gun.

RT - they are issued loaded guns, sufficient to fulfill the duties they are charged with. Sorry, but I don't buy into your "may happen" argument.

A porcupine may fall out of a tree and land on a WCO's head (after all, it may happen).
According to your logic, they should be issued kevlar combat helmets also.

IMO - there is no need to turn a State Game Protection Agency into another pack of jack-booted thugs.

to the WCO - I await your link/reference to when/where you were snipered. I'm sure the event made (at the very least) a full page PGC news release. Once again, I await your response.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 15:33:08 (permalink)
Many people have jobs that are high risk. You don't have to have be in L/E to be at risk. Many workers put their life on the line everyday at work. Many are exposed to silent killers as their environment is not healthy.

Take a look at how many die from work related environments as compared to how many L/E people die at their job.

Most woulds do anything to have a nice cushy job at the PGC.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 18:14:13 (permalink)
Many people have jobs that are high risk. You don't have to have be in L/E to be at risk. Many workers put their life on the line everyday at work. Many are exposed to silent killers as their environment is not healthy.

Take a look at how many die from work related environments as compared to how many L/E people die at their job.

Most woulds do anything to have a nice cushy job at the PGC.

Unbelievable... more BS...

I do not know of one single job ANYWHERE including state police or maybe even the military that when LE person encounters another the other person is carrying weapons... probably 99% of the time..

no cop or convenience store workers or even "bings" out there in the woods has that danger..

you guy just continue to live in your make believe world where hunters are so much above the average person... and do not present dangers... that's is so laughable !!!

let's see == we are talking about birds and deer (animals) here where just in the last few years I easily recall these events.. and these ARE HUNTERS !!!!!

Summerville.. man shot and killed, one wounded in a shoot out over a deer crossing a property line...

The DA's buddy who shot the guy who just killed a deer and called home to get help .. and the shooter lied about it...

Just a few weeks ago.. youngster shoots and kills his Dad thinking he was a turkey...

Reynoldsville... man shoots and kills teenager thinking he was a turkey at 35 yards..

WCO Groves shot and killed over a possible poaching case..

Losing lives over game birds and animals... REALLY....

how many deaths would it take for you guys to consider it dangerous.. or at the least admit there are many dangerous guys out there carrying weapons and when a WCO approaches he is to decide which are the goons and thugs and which are the "true hunters"....

not a job I would take at any price .....

I have dealt with the general public and have never encountered a person with a gun while at my job... in the woods just about everyone I run into has a weapon.... even when I see another hunter my first thought is does he see me... does he think I am a turkey.. a deer... a bear ..will he shoot ????

heck just read some post here and other places where guys have posted about what they would have done if they were there when the other hunter did whatever... and they are carrying guns and out there hunting with the rest of us... REALLY ?????

Just how many guys are out there that can not tell the difference in game and humans... how many are willing to kill someone over a deer or a poaching incident, or tresspassing..

go ahead guys keep those heads in the sand and pretend those goons, thugs, etc are not in the woods... they're not carrying weapons... and are not a danger to a WCO who wants to confront/question them...

Humans are dying over game birds and animals.. and you few thing it is not a dangerous job confronting these crazies day after day.. and remember they have weapons !!!

UNBELIEVABLE
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/17 18:18:55
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 18:26:33 (permalink)
go ahead guys keep those heads in the sand and pretend those goons, thugs, etc are not in the woods... they're not carrying weapons... and are not a danger to a WCO who wants to confront/question them...

You got a better chance getting shot at delivering pizza than in the woods. A pizza deviery guy has to use his own car and WCO doesn't. I say give the pizza guy a 20 year out with a fat pension !
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 19:25:10 (permalink)
You got a better chance getting shot at delivering pizza than in the woods. A pizza delivery guy has to use his own car and WCO doesn't.

I rarely ask OA questions for fear of his answer ...

BUT here goes..

How many pizza delivery guys do you think there would be if every time they delivered the guy at the door was holding a loaded weapon ???????
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 19:30:35 (permalink)
how many deaths would it take for you guys to consider it dangerous.. or at the least admit there are many dangerous guys out there carrying weapons and when a WCO approaches he is to decide which are the goons and thugs and which are the "true hunters"....

not a job I would take at any price .....

1. More than one shooting death every hundred years
2. You sound like a typical anti gunner in that all guns are bad and all people who own guns are outlaws. Sarah Brady and the other anti-gunners love guys like you
3. Maybe you wouldn't want the job but they get so many applicants that they now stop accepting them when it reaches 900 applicants for a class of 18-22. Must be most people consider it a good job.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 19:38:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

You got a better chance getting shot at delivering pizza than in the woods. A pizza delivery guy has to use his own car and WCO doesn't.

I rarely ask OA questions for fear of his answer ...

BUT here goes..

How many pizza delivery guys do you think there would be if every time they delivered the guy at the door was holding a loaded weapon ???????

How many police would there be if every call was a shoot out. How many WCO"s would there be if they spent every day hinding behind trees as they got shot at ?????????????
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: A cry for help... 2011/11/17 19:53:54 (permalink)
I should have known you would not answer a question.. just post another question as usual..

How many police would there be if every call was a shoot out

Where did I said anything about shoot outs ??

I'm saying most feel a policeman has a dangerous job... but some of you (3 or 4 I THINK) say not a WCO .. a policeman does not encounter a loaded weapon on 99% of their calls or stops or when questioning someone... and they get paid FAR more and can retire early too ...

as for the riding around and being fat comment.. did you ever look at many of our police officers ????

I don't recall hearing to many WCO and doughnut jokes ...

ANYONE that has to enforce legal laws has my respect and support for making their job safer, easier, and less dangerous...

I would NOT expect you to have any positive additude or input about the PGC or WCOs.. your hatred of such preceeds you
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: