Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
formerguide
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/03 16:54:38 (permalink)

Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever!

Just got back from Andros Island, and all I can say is AMAZING!!!

What a week of fishing- fished the middle bight of the island, and stayed at Mangrove Cay Club. What a gorgeous lodge- everything from the food to the staff to the rooms was impeccable.

And the fishing... the bones on Andros are some of the biggest around, and they ALL have attitude to burn. Nov-Jan is known as big fish time, and I wasn't dissapointed. LOTS of fish, with a solid average of 4-5lbs, and some real bruisers from 7-9lbs too. If you want to see how good the drag on your reel truly is, go catch a 9lb bonefish. I practically burned out my Islander... It's amazing how much more of a fish a 7lb+ bone is compared to a 3lb bone. There IS no comparison. If you've never caught a bonefish before, you owe it to yourself to go try sometime. No fish around can compare when it comes to speed and the ability to run- a 7lb bonefish absolutely KILLS any steelhead that swims- and that's no knock on steelies either! But a big bone is really something to marvel. Here's some pics- enjoy!

post edited by formerguide - 2007/12/03 17:00:42

32 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 16:56:38 (permalink)
    ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME!!!

Man I wish I could have been there!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 17:04:45 (permalink)
    SWEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!  Man I wish I was there.  Looks like you are definitely having a great time.  BTW - it is below freezing and snowing to beat the band here in NWPA....

pax vobiscum +
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 17:13:30 (permalink)
    Nice pics!!! Glad to see someone enjoy a little warm weather fishing.  Thanks for Sharing!!!!
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 17:20:25 (permalink)
    Very sweet.  I may need to rethink my career choices...
    flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 17:24:12 (permalink)
    Man-O-Day, Your killing me! Awesome shots and lookls like at was a fantastic week!

AL
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 18:16:09 (permalink)
    great pictures looks like you had a great time
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 18:23:20 (permalink)
    Nice pix - I'm sure that was an awesome time - love the camo Scott hat!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 20:27:40 (permalink)
    Formerguide....whats your profession???? fishing bum...jeese.

Looks like a great trip..

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 20:30:30 (permalink)
    profession?????

Ya right...His wife wishes' he had a real job!

Dan....Don't you dare say you have a real job....lol

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 20:48:08 (permalink)
    Totally Awesome Dude! Fantastic trip and super pics! Thanks for sharing them!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 20:53:41 (permalink)
    Former, did you take your wife???

Wonder if I could take a fishing trip while getting credit for taking the wife to the Islands

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 21:19:32 (permalink)
    beautiful! i love the bahamas what i great place. never fished it but had great times there

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 21:23:08 (permalink)
    i went to the bahamas before, was on the main island though (dont remember the name), didnt do any bonefish fishing but we went for marlin (trolling)...caught 4 marlin which we donated all but one meal to one of the resturants and we caught 3 barracudu that we gave to some guy that asked us for them on the docks...
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 21:28:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Former, did you take your wife???

Wonder if I could take a fishing trip while getting credit for taking the wife to the Islands

No tippy, I took good care of her and the kids.   

You better watch yourself Daniel.  You'll be remarrying.....

...one of those fish.

Jen and I both have agreed, after this trip, you're going to counseling.   Fish counseling that is.

ha

Looks like you had a great time.  Beautiful, sunny, warm pictures.  hmm.  Thanks for sharing.
    wollybuggers02
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 21:29:14 (permalink)
    very cool
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 21:29:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, after a day of pushing deer, I needed something to warm me up! Great pixs!

steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/03 22:16:54 (permalink)
    Good pics. Looks like an awesome time. Really wish I was down south fishing too. But Erie will still miss me
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 00:02:32 (permalink)
    Great pics Dan.  Did you get any looks at a Permit?

<---  The Holy Trinity
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 00:06:46 (permalink)
    Now thats a real dream. Dream on, Dream on.
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 09:24:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, it was a pretty nice trip. Best of all, I was "on the clock" the whole time, as it was a business trip. I had to shuttle a bunch of gear (rods, reels, terminal tackle) to the lodge, and so stayed to fish for 4 days.

No, I didn't take my wife, but we'll be going back to the Bahamas in Mar- probably at Kamalame Cay (on the North side of Andros) which is cool because they fish the Joulters, which is said to be really cool.

As far as my job goes, I work for 7Days Outdoors, which is is the tackle provider for Frontiers Travel. See links below:

http://www.frontierstravel.com/SportingDestinationSaltwater.cfm?DestinationID=55

http://www.7daysoutdoors.com/

I get to travle qiute a bit- I'm hosting a trip to the Amazon this Feb 8-16 for peacock bass. If anyone is interested, I am down to 1 spot left- PM me for details. Also, I'll be doing another Nov trip next year to Mangrove- again, PM me for details.

Anyway, it's a great gig- I enjoy my job, I get to see the world, and I play with tackle all of the time. Having said that, it's still a job...

Really...

Honest...

(At least that's what I tell my wife!)

Tight lines-
    Dan
    waxmybean
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 09:39:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: formerguide

Yeah, it was a pretty nice trip. Best of all, I was "on the clock" the whole time, as it was a business trip. I had to shuttle a bunch of gear (rods, reels, terminal tackle) to the lodge, and so stayed to fish for 4 days.

No, I didn't take my wife, but we'll be going back to the Bahamas in Mar- probably at Kamalame Cay (on the North side of Andros) which is cool because they fish the Joulters, which is said to be really cool.

As far as my job goes, I work for 7Days Outdoors, which is is the tackle provider for Frontiers Travel. See links below:

http://www.frontierstravel.com/SportingDestinationSaltwater.cfm?DestinationID=55

http://www.7daysoutdoors.com/

I get to travle qiute a bit- I'm hosting a trip to the Amazon this Feb 8-16 for peacock bass. If anyone is interested, I am down to 1 spot left- PM me for details. Also, I'll be doing another Nov trip next year to Mangrove- again, PM me for details.

Anyway, it's a great gig- I enjoy my job, I get to see the world, and I play with tackle all of the time. Having said that, it's still a job...

Really...

Honest...

(At least that's what I tell my wife!)

Tight lines-
    Dan

http://www.frontierstravel.com/SportingDestination.cfm?DestinationID=37

Rope-em and Smoke-em
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 11:58:10 (permalink)
    nice pictures! 
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 12:08:04 (permalink)
    "Its still a job"

yeah, uh huh...
    as i sit at my desk, in my office, with no windows in 20 degree Pittsburgh PA wishing, fantasizing, hoping for a "job" like that...as another ont his site says... "DREAM ON"!!!!!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    caddisx
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 13:38:28 (permalink)
    Man O' Man, that is sumthin else!!! You fish EVERYWHERE for a LIVING. Let me ask, are you hiring, I'm a pretty good critic!!!
    Anyways I am going to Antigua next Summer for our (my fiance' and I) honeymoon.  I was wondering would I be OK bringing my striper setup (9' 8wt), and wet wading at the locations that are good for fishing that I found on the internet, or should I be looking at getting a guide to help me catch a bone or permit? Thanks
    post edited by caddisx - 2007/12/04 13:40:30
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 14:23:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: caddisx

Man O' Man, that is sumthin else!!! You fish EVERYWHERE for a LIVING. Let me ask, are you hiring, I'm a pretty good critic!!!
    Anyways I am going to Antigua next Summer for our (my fiance' and I) honeymoon.  I was wondering would I be OK bringing my striper setup (9' 8wt), and wet wading at the locations that are good for fishing that I found on the internet, or should I be looking at getting a guide to help me catch a bone or permit? Thanks

ALWAYS get a guide, if it's within your budget and alloted time, when fishing a new saltwater destination. Unless you're a pretty self sufficient flats angler, and can read a flat/tides/and spot fish well, it is worth everything to hire a guide.

THey'll get you on the right flat for the given tide/weather conditions, and they will greatly shorten the learning curve. I'm not super familiar with Antigua though- i can ask around and see if anyone here has any guides to suggest. My friend is there right now with his wife- I'll be sure to pass it by him when he returns as well.

Permit are realtively rare in the Bahamas, though as far south as Antigua is, I really don't know. Further south, near Los Roques (in Venezulea) there are some permit- LR is a fabulous bonefish destination in its own right. You might look at chartering a plane there for a day or two if your shedule permits- i can certainly get you info on a 1 or 2 day trip out of Pez Raton Lodge. Some big tarpon in LR too...

But again, I can fully recommend hiring a guide. Wading a flat on your own can be difficult, especially if you have clouds- at least with a boat, if it IS a bt cloudy, you can find a sunny spot somewhere. Hope that this helps, and feel free to PM if you need any further info...

Dan
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 14:25:38 (permalink)
    Oh, and a 9' 8wt is perfect for bones...
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 18:34:15 (permalink)
    Dan,

Great photos!!!

It has been a couple of springs since I fished South Andros.  I must say that your Bones were far bigger than anything I got into there.  Of course, I missed the morning tide due to the wonderful flight from Nassau to Andros -- they waited for over an hour on the tarmac hoping that the warning light would go out.

While the Bones I caught there were small, a 3 pounder was big that day, they sure was a bunch of them.  I highly recommend the Bahamas for a first flats trip -- it isn't nearly IMO as difficult as the Keys or as windy as the Yucatan or Belize.

I am glad you posted the red star fish.  I wanted to take a photo of one when I was there but forgot.

Oh, yeah, and an ice cold Kalik.  You just have to love it.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/04 23:55:25 (permalink)
    DAN ....... Great pictures but you already knew that ........ LOL I'll be there one day.

FLATFISH
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Pics from an AWESOME week of fishing - one of the best ever! 2007/12/05 00:08:31 (permalink)
    congrats and awesome pics!!!!!!!! id be content just watching somebody catch fish while hitting the beach and absorbing that weather with a case a day of those KALIK's. it would be hard to come back to this horse$$$$ weather after spending a week there. talk about culture shock!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: