More hunters money wasted ....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 20:32:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Remember, we're talking about a quasi government agency here, it will cost way more than at a private company. That being said, I don't really have a problem with it. Although I'm kinda partial to print...

LOL !!!
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 21:31:10 (permalink)
DuUd,

You sound like Herman Cain with his ( I have no evidence to prove it, but I believe ) responses.

The PGC has a PR staff things like this are part of their JOB. It can be something additional ( with, or without additional hours/cost ). It could be something they do in place of other, less cost effective avenues of PR. For all you KNOW, the PGC may be SAVING money/time by going this route. But you are seemingly incapable of looking at any PGC action objectively.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 21:40:24 (permalink)
The boating education, and bait shop inspection is suspect pertains to WCOs employed by the PF&BC. Though I could be wrong. As for snowmobiles, since they are commonly used on gamelands, and other lands frequented by hunters. I would think classes on safe operation prudent. As well as another opportunity for the PGC to establish an initial connection with the younger age groups.

I prefer to look at the potential for positive, while it seems some prefer the negative.
post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/11/08 21:41:42

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 22:12:13 (permalink)
Ahh No wrong. This info was from the PGC face book site not the fish commision site. Gamelands are closed to snowmobilers till after hunting season. Nice try to make it seem that I'm wrong .
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 22:28:07 (permalink)
" Gamelands are closed to snowmobilers till after hunting season. Nice try to make it seem that I'm wrong ."

Still their land & responsibility, is it not?

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 22:41:03 (permalink)
"Conservation Officer - Specific Duties Specific job duties for a Conservation Officer may include investigating complaints or working with schools, communities and service groups to promote environmental conservation and compliance with laws. Conservation Officers may be required to teach courses in boating, bow hunting, trapping and snowmobiling along with hunter education. They may be involved with inspecting falconers, wildlife rehabilitators, bait dealer, taxidermists and gamer breeders. Other job duties may include:

Documenting state and federal misdemeanors, felonies and other violations of environmental conservation laws. Implementing plans to find violations. Processing violators and evidence and submitting reports. Conducting audits of commercial operations to ensure environmental compliance. Communicating environmental conservation goals to the public and media. Conducting safety courses for recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles or off-road vehicles. Maintaining relationships with outside law enforcement agencies. Working with hunters and anglers to ensure conservation laws are being followed. Patrolling assigned areas to ensure there are no violations occurring. Checking hunters and anglers for correct licensing."

Notice it says "conservation officer", not widlife. or waterways conservation officer. Also read the last sentence regarding checking hunters AND anglers for licensing. That looks like a Pa. code, or civil service description for the duties of WCO in BOTH agencies. Not necessarily just the PGC's for their own.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 22:50:19 (permalink)
Doesn't really matter either way the game commission or fish commission has no buiness conducting a saftey course for any off road vehicle rather ATV, UTV or a snowmobile.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:01:56 (permalink)
Wow, so you found ONE thing in the list of duties that MIGHT possibley be objectionable. May as well scrap the whole thing

Can you give one logical reason that operator saftey courses, for vehicles used on proprty under their jurisiction, and responsibility is a negative? Or is it just that if the PGC is doing it, you're agin it?

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:11:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Wow, so you found ONE thing in the list of duties that MIGHT possibley be objectionable. May as well scrap the whole thing

Can you give one logical reason that operator saftey courses, for vehicles used on proprty under their jurisiction, and responsibility is a negative? Or is it just that if the PGC is doing it, you're agin it?

First you tell me how many state game lands permitt atv use and snowmobile use on game lands (disabled users exempt) ? Then you tell me how does a wco have the time to conduct such a program when they claim they are short handed ?
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/11/08 23:13:45
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:17:52 (permalink)
Did you read the what you posted? It says a CO MAY be required not WILL be required to teach such courses. Do you know of any that are offered? If so, do you know how many WCO's are trained, and engaged for that specific task?

I hear there is a bumper nit crop this year.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:25:20 (permalink)

Did you read the what you posted? It says a CO MAY be required not WILL be required to teach such courses. Do you know of any that are offered? If so, do you know how many WCO's are trained, and engaged for that specific task?

I hear there is a bumper nit crop this year.

Like I said the PGC has no buiness conducting saftey courses in recreational vechicle use period. DCNR would be more likely to conduct such. I'm sure a fee is involved.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:30:38 (permalink)
Many WCOs, deputies and other Game Commission personnel are trained in the use of boats, ATVs and snowmobiles. By agency policy we have to be training in the safe operation of them before we are permitted to use them. Since we own boats, ATVs and snowmobiles we also have certified instructors that train other agency personnel in the safe operation of them.

I am not aware of any Game Commission WCOs training the public in any of those disciplines though we do train our own personnel in them. The Fish and Boat Commission WCOs offer a public boating safety class though.

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2011/11/08 23:32:07
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:45:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RSB

Many WCOs, deputies and other Game Commission personnel are trained in the use of boats, ATVs and snowmobiles. By agency policy we have to be training in the safe operation of them before we are permitted to use them. Since we own boats, ATVs and snowmobiles we also have certified instructors that train other agency personnel in the safe operation of them.

I am not aware of any Game Commission WCOs training the public in any of those disciplines though we do train our own personnel in them. The Fish and Boat Commission WCOs offer a public boating safety class though.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Not talking about within the agency. It was clearly stated other wise.
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/11/08 23:47:16
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 23:58:37 (permalink)
"It was clearly stated other wise."

Where? This is the exact wording you posted.

"Conducting safety courses for recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles or off-road vehicles."

It says nothing about public, or inter-departmental. Do have a list of any public courses offerd by the PGC? Here's a link to the PGC's "education" homepage.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/education/9110

Not ONE mention of RV safety courses.
post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/11/09 00:04:16

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 00:19:39 (permalink)
Keep reading spoony till it sinks in.

Conservation Officer - Specific Duties Specific job duties for a Conservation Officer may include investigating complaints or working with schools, communities and service groups to promote environmental conservation and compliance with laws. Conservation Officers may be required to teach courses in boating, bow hunting, trapping and snowmobiling along with hunter education. They may be involved with inspecting falconers, wildlife rehabilitators, bait dealer, taxidermists and gamer breeders. Other job duties may include:

Now do you really think they are teaching all those things to the ones that already know everything ?

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 00:25:55 (permalink)
Keep reading yourself, until the word MAY sinks in.

Another night wasted arguing an issue, that's NOT an issue. Still waiting on that list of classes.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 00:58:29 (permalink)

Another night wasted arguing an issue, that's NOT an issue. Still waiting on that list of classes.

Hey I didn't post that crap on the PGC face book site they did.See fresh into already they posted things that no one can find including public saftey classes for ATVs and snowmobiles to mention a few. What a waste .
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 07:57:54 (permalink)

DarDys,

Site maintenance is handled by facebook. The only "cost" is update, and response to posts. As I stated to OA, this is probly being done within the PR department, which is already engage in such activities via varrious other media. I would imagine that the added cost of including this one ( if any ), is negligible.

I can't be sure because I didn't make specific note of it, but I believe I recall seeing where they hired someone to exclusively handle social media.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 09:29:42 (permalink)
They hired a gal to be the leader of the social media activity who also is handling the archery in schools and outdoor women. Nothing is free as it takes peoples time and the PGC's money to get any program up and running and maintain it. It can't be just an add on to their present job unless they had way too much free time to start with. It is the new way of doing things, hell, if hunters spend their time on stand playing computer games and surfing forums why not log on to the PGC to see when the next deer is scheduled to pass by.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 09:58:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Hey I didn't post that crap on the PGC face book site they did.See fresh into already they posted things that no one can find including public saftey classes for ATVs and snowmobiles to mention a few. What a waste .

Hey OA, stop to take the foot out while there is still a little meat left on it!

Spoony,
I was thinking the same thing. The nits have been screaming for mercy for months now...their legs HAVE to be picked clean by now....

OA, if your level of complaining has gotten this low, I feel for you, I really do. Sounds like you need a vacation from the innerwebs for awhile and need some serious "outdoor" time to recharge your batteries.

Just about EVERY gov't agency, company, etc. has facebook pages and twitter accounts these days. Not that I like it (never use either) but that is the way of the world. Adapt and overcome or become complacent and be left behind.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/09 14:57:15 (permalink)
Guess if there is a Facebook page might to best to send all complaints there.
At least you would be complaining to the right people.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/10 14:46:22 (permalink)

Why don't some of you negative nancies try and look for the positive............if the youth of today are online then you have to reach them using the same media. So why again SHOULDN'T the PGC not be online too? I dont' get it.

It sure doesn't make me feel any better that some of you are out in the woods carrying high powered rifles and weaponry.

bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/11 19:12:08 (permalink)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: