Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/08 02:57:43 (permalink)

More hunters money wasted ....

Now the PGC is using our monies to post on face book. Belive me they aint doing it for free. http://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaGameCommission?sk=wall

Did I mention they also have signed on to twitter and you tube as well.
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/11/08 02:59:52

52 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1672
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 07:45:34 (permalink)
    Why do you see it as wasted monies?

Social media is all the rage in this world, what better way to try and connect with your peeps. I see this no more of a waste of money than all the pamphlets and such that you can pick up at any Treasurer's office,PGC office,fair display,etc.
    Mike

edited for spelling
    post edited by fishin coyote - 2011/11/08 07:47:44

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 07:51:16 (permalink)
    I would agree, Fishin.  Probably be cheaper going this route, provided that they decrease the printing and distribution of materials that are not utilized.

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 10:45:13 (permalink)
    A enviro extreme antideer pgc insider had a few months back been throwing out links to qdma & a couple other groups facebook pages... Now voila pgc has one as well just out of the blue. Gee wonder where they got the idea?

I also agree, its a waste. Pretty "bush league" for a "professional" wildlife management agency imho. Maybe they can now twitter with the teen-age audubon members.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 10:46:24 (permalink)
    I see this no more of a waste of money than all the pamphlets and such that you can pick up at any Treasurer's office,PGC office,fair display,etc.

I agree many of pgc pamphlets are a HUGE waste. Especially the deer management ones.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 11:15:15 (permalink)
    While I don't use FB or Twitter, I don't think this is a waste at all.  (I'll wait for Doc and RSB to come to from fainting.)  This is simply a different way to reach the public with the PGC message, whether one agrees with that message or not is another story.  That being written, however, links to other than other PA agencies should not be provided lest that be taken as an endorsement of the organization that is thereby linked to.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 11:30:19 (permalink)
    I donno, to me it just seems "bush league".

I didnt see much on those sites. Guess they arent done yet. Links to several pages of antideer propaganda + a donations button and they should be set.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 11:45:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

A enviro extreme antideer pgc insider had a few months back been throwing out links to qdma & a couple other groups facebook pages... Now voila pgc has one as well just out of the blue. Gee wonder where they got the idea?

You do know that this person (I think I know) is not well liked by those in the upper tier of the PGC?

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 11:45:52 (permalink)
    Just got back from the hospital after having chest pains after reading that Dars thinks the PGC may be doing some good .....

NOT... just kidding..

Great Idea == I've been telling the info officer and Feaser they should have been using more of the internet for about 8 years now

not sure why the PGC would have to pay ???

I have accounts on those and it is not costing me anything but some time to post and read what's there ???????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/08 11:46:18
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 12:26:56 (permalink)
    I think it's a wonderful idea, That way all the deer hunters who get bored sitting in their stand playing hunting video games can log on and find out how great things are.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 12:34:07 (permalink)
    Seems like a positive to me.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 13:34:55 (permalink)
    wayne,
    Only your posts are "bush league."

Thumbs up for the PGC getting into the 21st century.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 13:40:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Just got back from the hospital after having chest pains after reading that Dars thinks the PGC may be doing some good .....

NOT... just kidding..

Great Idea == I've been telling the info officer and Feaser they should have been using more of the internet for about 8 years now

not sure why the PGC would have to pay ???

I have accounts on those and it is not costing me anything but some time to post and read what's there ???????

Didn't mean to hospitalize you.  As I stated before, I don't disagree with all the PGC does.  Just some of it.

The cost comes from having to pay someone to maintain, add to, and update the site.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 14:08:42 (permalink)
    Pretty desperate & pathetic, even for you OA. First of all, WHAT cost? It costs nothing to set up a facebook page, and it's probly being monitered by someone in the PR department. Who's JOB is the respond to various e-mails, and correspondence. Secondly, how can something that promotes, and facilitates more direct & timely interaction beteween the PGC & the hunter, be bad?

Your issues with the PGC appear to go far beyond even the most disgruntled among the posters here. Almost to a personal level. Did they turn you down for a job? A WCO steal your woman? What?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 14:14:25 (permalink)
    You do know that this person (I think I know) is not well liked by those in the upper tier of the PGC?

If true I had no idea. It seems pretty clear that this person sees themself as some sort of unofficial mascot. And this person simply cannot do what they do without some level of support, at some level.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/08 14:22:19
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 14:14:47 (permalink)
    DarDys,

Site maintenance is handled by facebook. The only "cost" is update, and response to posts. As I stated to OA, this is probly being done within the PR department, which is already engage in such activities via varrious other media. I would imagine that the added cost of including this one ( if any ), is negligible.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 14:21:05 (permalink)
    wayne,
    Only your posts are "bush league."

A little hypocritical for someone who whines like a pre-pubescent girl in their signature line:

Fisherie,
    A place for bashing, trolling, internet fighting and occassionally, a post about fishing.

lmao.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/08 14:22:59
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 14:45:16 (permalink)
    The cost of having someone update a facebook or Twitter page daily is next to nothing. Nice try making it sound expensive OA.

At my company, we started doing the facebook and Twitter thing a year ago, just to help promote our new lines, rods, reels, etc.. We have one of our marketing guys update it daily. It only takes several minutes for each site, and is a very inexpensive way for us to market products. The fact that the guys who updates this for us do not have to work any additional hours to do this means its basically free.

The game commission will be able to use this type of media in a lot of ways, for very little money spent.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 15:17:12 (permalink)
    As one can easly see the public input on facebook is very limited. Not many replys at all. As far as cost some one is getting paid to tap on the keyboard. The PGC crys that youths are spending too much time with electronic gadgets and then turns arounds and comes up with this idea. Will it help put more back into the woods? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 15:21:11 (permalink)
    "The PGC crys that youths are spending too much time with electronic gadgets and then turns arounds and comes up with this idea. Will it help put more back into the woods? Guess we'll have to wait and see."

I would "suspect" that the best way to reach them, is to go where they are

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 15:57:44 (permalink)
    The only "youths" that are gonna go onto a PGC site are ones that already hunt. How many youths that dont already have the interest are gonna seek out such a site?

And as I see it, the only way youths are gonna have interest and go at all will be due to the parents planting that seed of interest and taking them.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 17:43:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"The PGC crys that youths are spending too much time with electronic gadgets and then turns arounds and comes up with this idea. Will it help put more back into the woods? Guess we'll have to wait and see."

I would "suspect" that the best way to reach them, is to go where they are

I believe the money should of been used to support more youth hands on programs. Who's is the PGC employee who is behind face book ? I hope it's not Jerry .
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 18:00:17 (permalink)
    I found this to be interesting ,I think, duties of a WCO. RSB will you teach me to operate a BOAT, or SNOWMOBILE and then maybe we can ride around all day and check out the maggots and crawlers at various bait shops. Is this crap for real? Oh BTW this what is being printed on Facebook.

Mission and duties
    The mission of the Pennsylvania Game Commission is:

To manage and protect wildlife
    To manage wildlife habitat
    To inform and educate the public on wildlife and safe hunting practices
    The duties of the Pennsylvania Game Commission include:
    Set hunting and trapping seasons and bag limits
    Issuing hunting and fur taking licenses
    Conduct tests for wildlife disease
    Pheasant release
    Animal Reintroduction

Conservation Officer - Specific Duties Specific job duties for a Conservation Officer may include investigating complaints or working with schools, communities and service groups to promote environmental conservation and compliance with laws. Conservation Officers may be required to teach courses in boating, bow hunting, trapping and snowmobiling along with hunter education. They may be involved with inspecting falconers, wildlife rehabilitators, bait dealer, taxidermists and gamer breeders. Other job duties may include:

Documenting state and federal misdemeanors, felonies and other violations of environmental conservation laws. Implementing plans to find violations. Processing violators and evidence and submitting reports. Conducting audits of commercial operations to ensure environmental compliance. Communicating environmental conservation goals to the public and media. Conducting safety courses for recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles or off-road vehicles. Maintaining relationships with outside law enforcement agencies. Working with hunters and anglers to ensure conservation laws are being followed. Patrolling assigned areas to ensure there are no violations occurring. Checking hunters and anglers for correct licensing. Subscribe to RSS feed for Public Safety and Law

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 18:10:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Who's is the PGC employee who is behind face book ? I hope it's not Jerry .

Could be Mr. Neville.  Maybe he has some staff under him that also help?

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 18:30:13 (permalink)
    "I believe the money should of been used to support more youth hands on programs."

Again, WHAT money? As far as you know it's not costing the PGC an extra dime.
    And what pray tell is there about the "mission & duties" that makes it "crap'? It's all pretty reasonable At least to reasonable people.

Grudges are a burden only on those who carry them. And the one you have against the PGC, is a load I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 19:18:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"I believe the money should of been used to support more youth hands on programs."

Again, WHAT money? As far as you know it's not costing the PGC an extra dime.
    And what pray tell is there about the "mission & duties" that makes it "crap'? It's all pretty reasonable At least to reasonable people.

Grudges are a burden only on those who carry them. And the one you have against the PGC, is a load I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Spoony its like this. Many agencies are crunching budgets due to hard economical times. RSB is crying the blues that there are not enough WCO's to handle all the area they are responsible for. The youth programs are great but budget always seems to be a topic when asked why more isn't being done. Now the WCO are teaching boating ,snowmobiling and inspecting bait shops. Now they are paying people to man Facebook,Twitter and you tube. Don't you think that the effort and money should go to youth hunts and managing the game correctly ?

Do you really think that the people that man these sites are doing it as a volunteer or is it that they have no other work duties then to pound on INTERNET 24/7 ? What's next a license increase to pay the extra people for social networking ?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 19:30:50 (permalink)

There are more people that have negative feeling toward the PGC than ever before. The INTERNET is a powerful tool as more are speaking out. I believe they do alot of good but they still have a long way to go to clean up the mess they made. They also need to send some of their employees back to charm school as well. Those are the guys that hurt them the worst not me. I call it as I see it, like it or not ! There are a lot that feel as I do and this a very small hunting site. If you like I could post the opinions of others from elsewhere that is if it's not against this sites policy. I offer much more to this site than just political BS. You should look around.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 20:14:34 (permalink)
    I have not seen any increase in the number of folks complaining about the PGC on this site.. It's the same guys that have been doing it since they joined... about 6 of them

and some of those 6 are not 100% negative..

On this thread there are 3 complaining.. OA, S-10 and Wayne... that's 3

Posting positive .. there are 7 .. twice as many ... so where's all this

There are a lot that feel as I do and this a very small hunting site.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/08 20:16:26
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 20:29:14 (permalink)
    Remember, we're talking about a quasi government agency here, it will cost way more than at a private company. That being said, I don't really have a problem with it. Although I'm kinda partial to print...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: More hunters money wasted .... 2011/11/08 20:31:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I have not seen any increase in the number of folks complaining about the PGC on this site.. It's the same guys that have been doing it since they joined... about 6 of them

and some of those 6 are not 100% negative..

On this thread there are 3 complaining.. OA, S-10 and Wayne... that's 3

Posting positive .. there are 7 .. twice as many ... so where's all this

There are a lot that feel as I do and this a very small hunting site.

You just don't pay attention, do you ?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: