The greatest recuitment tools yet

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:32:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: S-10

Ask Dardys about the long waiting line of kids wanting to go on a free guided ringneck hunt with champion pointers? I would have killed for the chance at that age as would have most of my classmates. 96% of hunters are deer hunters and bemoaning that fact won't change it.

The morning includes archery shooting,

Did you tell them archers have too long to hunt ?

It wouldn't have done any good anyway, they, like the archers, had a great thing going and still wanted more.

Actually I think archery season is just about the right length.  BTW, saw two dandy shooter bucks while pheasant hunting Monday.  I jumped them 10 feet apart in almost head high cover.  Hope I didn't disturb someone's evening archery hunt.

So far this short season, I have seen more of those thought to be extinct pre-Altian creatures than I have pheasants.  Maybe I should take up the stick and string.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:44:29 (permalink)
I hope I read the post correctly.. in the first group each hunter bagged one bird and in the second they both shot at one bird... total for two hunts was 3 birds...

$50 for one bird.. I am sure back in the day my folks would not have put up that much money in the first place let alone be happy with one bird for $50 ... in today's world I would think a youth would much rather have a new computer game for that $50.00.

not sure paying to shoot game is passing on the right message to our youths, they see that enough on TV now... and I would rather take a kid out and show them what they can enjoy for FREE and maybe harvest a couple squirrels...!!!!

Plus they are being showed the only way to be successful at hunting pheasants is to have dogs... which was not the way it was when I was a youth.. we walked and kicked them out of the fields.

But to each his own.....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/25 11:46:05
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:46:19 (permalink)
Would have loved to get my son to that hunt DarDys, but with the soccer team in the playoffs and football team headed there we haven't had much time to hunt... Can't say I don't like them being in the playoffs though...
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 12:53:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I hope I read the post correctly.. in the first group each hunter bagged one bird and in the second they both shot at one bird... total for two hunts was 3 birds...

$50 for one bird.. I am sure back in the day my folks would not have put up that much money in the first place let alone be happy with one bird for $50 ... in today's world I would think a youth would much rather have a new computer game for that $50.00.

not sure paying to shoot game is passing on the right message to our youths, they see that enough on TV now... and I would rather take a kid out and show them what they can enjoy for FREE and maybe harvest a couple squirrels...!!!!

Plus they are being showed the only way to be successful at hunting pheasants is to have dogs... which was not the way it was when I was a youth.. we walked and kicked them out of the fields.

But to each his own.....

You read it right Doc.  But, as ususal, you weren't paying attention.  The first group produced 10 birds, they didn't shoot at one and they missed others.  The second group produced seven birds, killed the one and missed the others.

Do you blame the captain of the perch boat, that you pay for the opportunity because otherwise you don't have one, if the boat is producing fish, but you aren't?  I, or more correctly the dogs, can lead them to birds, but we can't hit them for them.

As for you rather taking the youths squirrel hunting, understand this, here, I'll help by putting it in cap -- THEY DON"T WANT TO HUNT SQUIRRELS.  Heck, most were complaining about the lack of action, getting bored, getting tired, etc. with the pheasants.

And as for being show the only way to be successful is to have dogs, well, yeah.  Keep in mind that there are approximately 90% less pheasants than when you were a youth.  How many did you see back then?  Now see 10% of that.  Of course pheasants, especialy on opening day, can be had without a dog.  But after that, good luck.

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 12:58:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Would have loved to get my son to that hunt DarDys, but with the soccer team in the playoffs and football team headed there we haven't had much time to hunt... Can't say I don't like them being in the playoffs though...

That was exactly the point.  There are plenty of other things to do than hunt for youths.  So much to the point that there wasn't a full field of 16 out of hundreds that orignally expressed an interest.

I would venture to suggest that of those that did participate, they could be divided into two groups -- those that are avid hunters, even at their young age, already and those that went because their parents, for lack of a better word, made, them go because the parents are trying to pass along the hunting tradition.  This was rather evident after lunch when the dogs went unpetted, the trap sat ready with a bird on it, but no one to shot it, and the bows lie on a picinic table while the boys broke out a football and started a pick-up game.

Congrats to the yungun for making the playoffs.
post edited by DarDys - 2011/10/25 13:03:09

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 13:56:57 (permalink)
  Get a kick outa the complaints of lack of action with all those pheasants goin up and gettin to watch good dogs work. Sounds like heaven to me---
   Definately a 'new' generation of kids who watch computer games and have 'action' all the time-on a screen.
  Kinda gave up on the whole thing myself and just go it alone now for my own enjoyment- like my Bear huntin Cousin Fred says--we are the last generation to do this stuff.
   Yea- some will continue but the whole game is gonna be different for them- they will never have it like we had it.
    Times change and the world moves on- gotta get over it.
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 14:08:42 (permalink)
DD.

That is a real shame that you couldn't find a full 16 enthusiastic young hunters for an outstanding opportunity.

I think that the $50 fee is a must due to folks backing out, but it may deter some participants; no matter what the actual value. There are some families who routinely buy a $50 pass for skiing or an amusement park, but many don't, particularly in rural parts of the state where hunting is most common.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 15:14:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: worm_waster

DD.

That is a real shame that you couldn't find a full 16 enthusiastic young hunters for an outstanding opportunity.

I think that the $50 fee is a must due to folks backing out, but it may deter some participants; no matter what the actual value. There are some families who routinely buy a $50 pass for skiing or an amusement park, but many don't, particularly in rural parts of the state where hunting is most common.w_w.

Agreed, but this event was situated less than 20 miles from State College.  $50 probably doesn't buy a night at the movies in that town.  We did have one particpant drive in from Brooklyn.  This was his second year.

RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 21:54:20 (permalink)
The local Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 also sponsors a mentored pheasant hunt on the opening day of the youth season. Their event is held on a section of SGL # 44 that is managed primarily for small game with emphasis on pheasants. The Game Commission stocks all of the pheasants available for the season the day before the youth pheasant season.

This year there were over 50 youth signed up and participated in the mentored youth hunt and all but about 4 of them harvested at least one bird even though many shot nearly a box of shells to get a bird. Some harvested their limit quickly but most missed a number of birds before harvesting one or two.

Unlike DarDys’ experiences though I didn’t see any youth that had any thoughts of quitting after their day a field on the game lands with quality mentors, dogs and dog handlers. Most of the youth at our local event couldn’t wait for their next opportunity to hunt and many were lining up hunts with the dog handlers for later in the week and throughout the regular season.

I guess the local Pheasants Forever folks just know how to inspire youth into wanting to be a hunter. I am trying to provide a link to the photos from the day. Hopefully it works. If it does take a look and tell me there are happy kids in those photos.

[color=#800080 size=3]http://pheasantsforeverncpa630.shutterfly.com/4

There are a couple hundred pictures that you can scoll through in that album.

R.S. Bodenhorn 
post edited by RSB - 2011/10/25 22:01:21
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 22:25:05 (permalink)
Great photos, thanks for the link ...

Definitely saw some happy hunters !!!

I enjoyed looking at all the breeds of dogs that were used too !!!!

Even recognized a few of the folks in the photos from the "work days" there and the SGL#44 tours !!!!
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 01:28:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

The local Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 also sponsors a mentored pheasant hunt on the opening day of the youth season. Their event is held on a section of SGL # 44 that is managed primarily for small game with emphasis on pheasants. The Game Commission stocks all of the pheasants available for the season the day before the youth pheasant season.

This year there were over 50 youth signed up and participated in the mentored youth hunt and all but about 4 of them harvested at least one bird even though many shot nearly a box of shells to get a bird. Some harvested their limit quickly but most missed a number of birds before harvesting one or two.

Unlike DarDys’ experiences though I didn’t see any youth that had any thoughts of quitting after their day a field on the game lands with quality mentors, dogs and dog handlers. Most of the youth at our local event couldn’t wait for their next opportunity to hunt and many were lining up hunts with the dog handlers for later in the week and throughout the regular season.

I guess the local Pheasants Forever folks just know how to inspire youth into wanting to be a hunter. I am trying to provide a link to the photos from the day. Hopefully it works. If it does take a look and tell me there are happy kids in those photos.

R.S. Bodenhorn 

Was SGL # 44 youth hunt only for Pheasant Forever participants ?
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 02:07:50 (permalink)
Ya wish I had the chance to do that at that age im 21and I take my buddies lilbro out duck hunting he loves it he's15 took him youth days to lots of shooting kills ducks to think he got 6so far on couple trips but I remembered how much fun I had back then made me feel good seeing him shoot his first duck something he will never forget
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 07:10:49 (permalink)

R.S. Bodenhorn 

Glad it worked out well.  Hope they stick with it.

And since it seems that "the local Pheasants Forever folks just know how to inspire youth into wanting to be a hunter" I will not feel bad next year when asked to run my dogs to say that I am not particpating and to contact the local Pheasants Forever chapter since I obvious cannot.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 09:01:47 (permalink)
Did he hurt yer fillins, Shawn ? I'm not sure that was his intent. You are a good guide and excellent mentor. All of the hunting community appreciates your volunteer time and efforts.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 09:06:29 (permalink)
Shawn - I know you understand that kids are just that; kids. I took interesting in hunting by age 6 and shot over 20 chipmunks with my bow by age 9. (no season I know RSB) That took some time to kill those and I enjoyed the pursuit of it. I used to get up before school and got out. lol But I guarantee you, if I was at your gathering and they got a football out, I'da been playin' football.

That said, all of us can agree there's so much more nowadays competing for kid's time. Tuff battle.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 09:26:04 (permalink)

Did he hurt yer fillins, Shawn ? I'm not sure that was his intent. You are a good guide and excellent mentor. All of the hunting community appreciates your volunteer time and efforts.

Not, not really.  I was actually being quite serious.  And his intent is neither here nor there with regard to my reply.

I have done the youth pheasant hunts since their inception, both on the PGC stocked youth hunts and preserve youth hunts -- with mixed results.  Those kids that were interested in hunting upland birds were interested in continuing to do so and I took some of them during the regular season, on subsequent youth hunts, and even to a preserve (paid for out of my own pocket); those that were interested in hunting in general, but not upland birds in particular (their parents were deer and tukey hunters) may have continued to hunt, but really had no further interest in upland birds and did not want to go after pheasants during the regular season or particpate in another youth hunt; and those who went because their parents wanted them to do so, didn't stick with hunting at all.

So perhaps it is time to turn over the youth effort to an organization like Pheasants Forever working in concert with the PGC that seems to be having better luck.

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 09:34:11 (permalink)
Here are some photos from the Youth Hunt and some open land hunting early this week.  I am not posting any smiling kid face photos because I do not know the kids and did not get model releases signed.

YOUTH HUNT

OPEN SEASON

The last photo is Darty doing his best lab imitation by retreiving a pheasant as it floated down the creek.
post edited by DarDys - 2011/10/26 09:39:19

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 09:47:28 (permalink)
Sometimes the story varies by who is telling it. Here is the posted story on the Pheasants Forever #630 hunt. Notice who the president of the chapter is------Notice how many hunters there were-----Notice how many birds were released-----Notice who got top billing for their contibutions. How could it be anything but a unqualified success.-----Don't get me wrong, it's great they are doing it but to embellish that one while putting down another group doing the same thing is just BS.

PHEASANTS FOREVER MENTORED YOUTH HUNT

Andres Torrez, Pheasants Forever youth gun winner presented by local PF chapter president****Bodenhorn.

Justin Beck, Pheasants Forever youth gun winner presented by local PF chapter president****Bodenhorn.

The day started cool with a beautiful sunrise as the early risers waited to start the local Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 Tenth Annual 2010 Youth Mentored Pheasant Hunt held on Saturday, October 8, 2011.

Each of these 36 youth from 12-16 yeasr of age participated in the Fox Township Sportsmen Safety Day the weekend before. They heard lectures on hunting ethics and safety as well as a demonstration of pointing and flushing hunting dogs. Fox Township Sportsmen have many great opportunities for kids. The lucky youth were Theo Carlson, Cody McClintock, Tyler Lenox, Nick Trunzo, Zach Fox, Casey Mativi, Troy Caskey, Morgan Gardner, Maddy Schneider, Wyatt Shaffer, Josh Zelinski, Cole Grazioli, Cory Lavella, Abbot Athens, Nicolas Williams, Jeremy Fischer, Evan Dunlap, Andres Torrez, Cory Huff, Chris Herrlich, Ray Kline, Tim Carr, Michaela Mativi, Chris Lavella, Jasmine Carlson, Troy Luchav, Josh Mills, Chris Neubert, Kate Sherry, Raymond Dent, Cody Fye, Justin Beck, Mason Van Divner, Jon Deitz, Clayton Miller and Richard Johnston.

This was the first year the youth hunt was held at the new PA State Game Lands #44 on a reclaimed coal strip mine near Shawmut. The extra space helps ensure a safer hunt.

Each youth and their mentor were paired with a bird dog and their handler. All 4 headed out into the habitat fields staggered from 7am - noon for a 2 hour hunt. Everyone put on a few miles on their boots.

The day warmed up fast and made it tough, dry hunting for the dogs. The youth harvested a total of 46 pheasants. But it's about more than taking birds. "It was great to watch the kids enjoy the dogs and the dog handlers," comment Tim Rowan, the Pheasant Forever Youth Hunt Coordinator.

It was Tim's first year coordinating this event. He gives a lot of credit to the club members and dog handlers that pull this event together year after year. Since the beginning of this annual event, Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 has mentored 430 kids, boys and girls alike in this hunting experience.

The biggest thanks of the day go to the dogs and dog handlers. Many are repeat dog handlers from the past that come back each year because this event is so much fun for everyone. Years of breeding, training and experience teaches these dogs to love tracking and retrieving birds and we thank them all. "These dogs are just amazing" claims John Benton.

This event gets bigger and better each year due to help from our partners, the Pennsylvania Game Commission and the Fox Township Sportsmen. Al and Bonnie Dempsey's crew donated and served a nice lunch to all involved.

Two lucky kids won shotguns donated by the local Pheasants Forever of North Central PA #630. The winners for the Remington 870 20 gauge shotguns were Justin Beck and Andres Torrez.

There were 360 hens and roosters stocked from the PA Game Commission at this location, not just for this event but all kids 12-16 heading to the field. Pheasant season is open to youth only from October 8-15, 2011.

Isn’t it about time you got involved? Our next meeting is, Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM at the Capital City fire hall on Front Street in Ridgway, PA. Visit our web site at http://www.northcentralpa.pheasantsforever.org/ for meeting dates, hunting information, recipes, officers list and more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 16:51:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

IMO, there is nothing better for getting kids in the woods.  Unfortunately, in todays world, many adults just don't want to take the time then they blame it on no deer.

nail on the head duuud. 

GF has 2 boys. take the 6 year old fishing, ALOT.  he is good enough he doesnt need baby sat when we go, which is nice.  the oldest one is 12.  We hunt more then fish. he loves the tree rats, and he loves that we cook them, and he hangs their tails on the clothes line like i did, you know how that is. 

however.....
i have a co worker, who doesnt take his boys hunting or fishing with him but maybe once or twice a year.  usually that is a day in late rifle season for deer, or a really crappy farm pond middle of summer.  i told him that is your flesh and blood, you need to get them out, but he argues that he would have no time in the woods or on the water for himself.  i told him thank god my dad didnt feel that way!!!  bout half pi$$ed me off.  i think it is more of a trend then many folks realize.  F'n bow hunters... :)
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 17:07:02 (permalink)
"I disagree. If they're not seeing game on each outing and only staring at empty woods while freezing their butts off, it's very difficult to keep their interest. How does that make for a pleasant desirable experience?"

I agree Ridge. But my point was, that should not be the case. That is not how things should or have to be.

wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 17:18:17 (permalink)

"I was getting worried. Thought you left town, Wayne."

Its bow season man! When I am not in the woods, Im club footin' around like a half asleep zonbie.

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 21:27:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

R.S. Bodenhorn 

Was SGL # 44 youth hunt only for Pheasant Forever participants ?

It was a youth only season but certainly not for just Pheasants Forever mentored youth. There were many youth hunting there that were not part of the Pheasants Forever mentored hunt. All in all there were probably as many youth there with one or both of their parents, other relatives of friends hunting as there were Pheasants Forever participants.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/26 21:54:41 (permalink)

Not, not really.  I was actually being quite serious.  And his intent is neither here nor there with regard to my reply.

I have done the youth pheasant hunts since their inception, both on the PGC stocked youth hunts and preserve youth hunts -- with mixed results.  Those kids that were interested in hunting upland birds were interested in continuing to do so and I took some of them during the regular season, on subsequent youth hunts, and even to a preserve (paid for out of my own pocket); those that were interested in hunting in general, but not upland birds in particular (their parents were deer and tukey hunters) may have continued to hunt, but really had no further interest in upland birds and did not want to go after pheasants during the regular season or particpate in another youth hunt; and those who went because their parents wanted them to do so, didn't stick with hunting at all.

So perhaps it is time to turn over the youth effort to an organization like Pheasants Forever working in concert with the PGC that seems to be having better luck.

Sorry to hear that you don’t want to mentor kids in the future. That is a decision only you can make but not taking a kid hunting certainly isn’t going to inspire more kids to be a hunter.

If there was anything negative in my post that was directed toward you it was the way you painted such a negative picture of today’s youth toward hunting. I am not seeing anything different about youth having an interest in hunting today then what I saw thirty or forty years ago provided the youth are introduced to hunting in a positive manner.

I think fewer of the kids today are ever introduced to hunting though. I also think a lot of kids that are perhaps interested in hunting get turned off to the sport by negative comments they here from various public and their mentors.

I know when I was a new hunter I sometimes had to hunt with a negative attitude relative, if I want to get out on some days. If he had been the only hunting mentor available to me I doubt I would have stayed with hunting because he was just so negative about just about everything. One of things made perfectly clear to the Pheasants Forever members and mentors prior to the youth hunts is that the whole day is about having fun with family, friends and other hunters; we don’t care if no birds get harvested but we want the kids to have a positive experience about being with people who enjoy not only hunting but sharing their time with other hunters and watching the dogs work.

I really believe that negative hunters and attitudes are among the BIGGEST threats to the future of hunting, hunter recruitment and hunter retention.

I am not saying you are a negative person to hunt with, hopefully you aren’t. But, when you painted a negative picture of youth interest in hunting I simply can’t agree. I can’t agree because I have seen nothing but positive attitudes in the youth that have had the opportunity to attend one of the local events. In fact I could point out some really positive results that have come from mentoring youth into hunting in a positive manner.

R.S. Bodenhorn
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 05:49:07 (permalink)
I would suggest that Dardys was just being realistic about the hunts and the results where you are painting an incorrect and unrealistic picture of your hunts and their results. Only the PGC uses the math that turns 36 into over fifty but I thought they only used those inflated numbers in estimating deer numbers.

Lets take a look at both hunts by the numbers.

Many adults put in a lot of time and effort in trying to make both hunts a success.
Many businesses contributed goods and services to both of the events.

The SCI hunt cost $50 per hunter to participate--------The PF hunt was free
The SCI hunt released 5 birds per hunter------The PF hunt released 10 birds per hunter
The SCI hunt produced an unknown number of shots-----The PF hunt produced nearly a box of shots per hunter when necessary.
The SCI hunt gave 2 prizes per hunter from hats to $100.----The PF hunt gave away two new guns with a 1 in 18 chance of winning.

The SCI hunt produced some happy hunters and some not so happy hunters--We are to believe the PF hunt produced only happy hunters

The bottom line is in spite of much time and effort spent advertising and promoting the SCI hunt they only managed to fill 15 of 16 advertised slots.

The bottom line is in spite of much time and effort spent advertising and promoting the PF hunt they only managed to fill 36 of 45 advertised slots. This is the second year in a row they are down from their high of 43 participants in 2009. The PF hunt is hyped each year as being bigger than ever but it must just be more adults and businesses involved because the number of participants is down.

Instead of bragging up the PF hunt and telling the SCI hunt they don't know how to put on a successful hunt perhaps you should have been honest and admit that in spite of a great deal of time, effort, and money spent by a lot of people it is difficult to keep todays youth interested in hunting, especially small game hunting.

I give both groups an A+ for effort
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 07:34:21 (permalink)

I think fewer of the kids today are ever introduced to hunting though. I also think a lot of kids that are perhaps interested in hunting get turned off to the sport by negative comments they here from various public and their mentors.

I really believe that negative hunters and attitudes are among the BIGGEST threats to the future of hunting, hunter recruitment and hunter retention.

Yep. 

My rifle is a black rifle
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 07:51:30 (permalink)
Wonder how they could possibly get a negative attitude.

Bet most of those negetive comments are for lack of game.
Mabee that issue should be addressed to help stop the loss of hunters instead of addind more opportunities to kill more game that isn't there.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 08:10:31 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that you don’t want to mentor kids in the future. That is a decision only you can make but not taking a kid hunting certainly isn’t going to inspire more kids to be a hunter.

If there was anything negative in my post that was directed toward you it was the way you painted such a negative picture of today’s youth toward hunting. I am not seeing anything different about youth having an interest in hunting today then what I saw thirty or forty years ago provided the youth are introduced to hunting in a positive manner.

I know when I was a new hunter I sometimes had to hunt with a negative attitude relative, if I want to get out on some days. If he had been the only hunting mentor available to me I doubt I would have stayed with hunting because he was just so negative about just about everything. One of things made perfectly clear to the Pheasants Forever members and mentors prior to the youth hunts is that the whole day is about having fun with family, friends and other hunters; we don’t care if no birds get harvested but we want the kids to have a positive experience about being with people who enjoy not only hunting but sharing their time with other hunters and watching the dogs work.

I am not saying you are a negative person to hunt with, hopefully you aren’t. But, when you painted a negative picture of youth interest in hunting I simply can’t agree. I can’t agree because I have seen nothing but positive attitudes in the youth that have had the opportunity to attend one of the local events. In fact I could point out some really positive results that have come from mentoring youth into hunting in a positive manner.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Sorry I called it as I saw it.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

If I decide to do it again, may I borrow your rose colored PGC shooting glasses so that the truth is not reported, just the sugar coated, your okay, I'm okay?

There wasn't anything negative about the hunt.  Not one thing.  There were dogs working and birds flying.  Shots were fired and free food was ate.  Yet there were kids that weren't happy with it and won't do it again.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

At the very first Youth hunt several years ago, I took four youths that I garnered from work.  By the way, the plant were I worked had 1,200 employees and is situated in the middle of Huntingdon County, so many of the workers are hunters and rural folk.  I posted on the cafeteria bulletin board that I would take the first ten youths, five in the morning and five in the afternoon, that signed up.  I got four sign-ups.  Total.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

This was not a sponsored hunt of any type -- just the youths, their parents, the mutts, and me.  Checking my notes, we pointed and flushed over 30 birds.  Dogs worked, birds flew, and many shots were fired.  But no birds were harvested (killed, whatever).  Like I said in a previous post, the mutts can lead them to birds, but they can't shoot them for them.   Keep in mind these are PA State Champion Pointers, so the shots are typically 15 - 25 yards from a walk-in flush -- not some out of range wild flying bird. Sorry, the truth hurts.

Next year, I did the same pre-hunt posting and got two youths -- a brother and sister.  None of the youths that hunted the previous year returned for another hunt.  I individually asked their parents about it.  To a person, they said that their child had a great time, but they weren't going again because no one killed a bird.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

For the third year, I had five youths sign-up.  By the Friday before the hunt, I had zero that decided to go -- one had changed his mind and was going ATV riding with another taking out two possible hunters; two others were invited to a video game party and dropped out; and the third, a female, bagged (pun intended) the hunt in favor of going shopping with Mom.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

To be quite honest, it was not worth me continuing the effort for those types of outcomes.  Keep in mind that I don't have kids, so none of these were mine; these were also not "buddy's kids, any co-workers were elidible; and doing this cost me a Saturday off and a 50 mile + round trip drive.  So I switched to helping at the preserve hunts.

There was nothing negative about any of it.  Except the results.  Sorry, the truth hurts.

But, the larger question becomes this -- If,as you state "negative hunters and attitudes are among the BIGGEST threats to the future of hunting, hunter recruitment and hunter retention," what do you think is the root cause of negative hunters and attitudes?  Why was it not prevalent in the past? 

While you are pondering the answers to the above questions, let me ask another, and I will give you the answer.

How many youths, other than the one that went with me Saturday afternoon, do you think we have seen hunting pheasants during the regular season (in probably nine different locations) over the last 5-8 years?

Here is the answer -- ZERO.

Sorry, the truth hurts.
post edited by DarDys - 2011/10/27 08:21:54

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 15:23:49 (permalink)

If that's the case and per the PGC's own research, the number one reason for hunters quitting is "Lack Of Game" why don't you do something concrete about it. The hunters can't do anything to change their feeling about the lack of game to persue but the PGC can and in fact were originally established for that exact purpose.
Change out of your "Flower Power" uniform and back into your "GAME Commission uniform", take off the blinders, and address the reason for the hunters change in attitude over the last decade or more.
PS-- my son and I have seen 3 different Fisher in three days. The PGC introduced them. Are they a game predator or a game animal?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 19:46:58 (permalink)
Just a few comments.. I would never consider upland bird hunting a very good idea to get kids intereted in hunting... especially real young ones. As mentioned hitting a flushing bird is not the eaisiet thing to do. I know lots of adults that do not hit them all...

Shooting at ballon full of red dye woulds probably get a much better response from kids today.

Deer hunting requires patience.. again not the best thing for youngsters to begin hunting with IMHO. Especilly after the first day or two of rifle season when the deer feel the presuure and are moving with alot more caution looking for the slightest movement.

Squirrel hunting is still my favorite thing for youngsters to do.
It's one of the easiest things to scout for before the hunt.. find the nuts and wait for the squirrels. It only takes a fewe hours in the morning or evening. Lots less time required so it's easier for the youngsters to remain calm and not start to move around too much.

Rabbits with a dog would be the #2 choice BUT I'd never start them on upland birds.. and hunting at a preserve (IMHO) would give them the complete wrong idea of what public land bird hunting is like.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/27 20:42:43 (permalink)
There were 360 Pheasants stocked for the PF youth hunt.
How is that any different than on a preserve.
Guarantee you the preserve has no where near that many birds to put out.

This is in no way indicative of "what public land bird hunting is.

Although I do agree about the squirrels. There are so few deer around here you have to go after the tree rats I guess.

It's a shame my son will never get to experience Grouse and Rabbit hunting here on the farm as I did when a youth.
The game just isn't there anymore.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: