Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/23 09:54:12 (permalink)

The greatest recuitment tools yet

The Mentored youth program, the antlerless transfer legislation and crossbows.  Those three things have been the greatest tools in a very long time to increase participation among our youth and possibily keep them in the game.  The pictures and associated smiles that are cropping up all over the place are awesome.  I have never seen as many as I have this year.

There will be those that think these three things all bad for hunting.  I will never be convinced of it. Mentored permits are up over 3,000 this year alone. 

Congrats to all of the youth participating and escpecially the mentors taking the time to introduce them to the outdoors.

My rifle is a black rifle

104 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 11:49:17 (permalink)
    I might add that some more deer in certain areas would also help.  I think that is also happening to some extent.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:05:10 (permalink)
    The statistic that will tell is will they have enough success to keep the interest once they try it. So far the short answer is no since the junior numbers have dropped as fast as the increase in mentored. Time well tell but success in any sport is what keeps the interest and the juniors haven't had enough success to keep them coming back as juniors not to mention them not coming back as adult hunters. Starting them as 8-10yo with supervision is a good thing but staring at a blank computer screen is not what made the internet a success and staring at a empty woods has the same effect on a young hunter.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:15:51 (permalink)
    Thats okay, S-10.  For every one that looks at the glass half empty, there is one that looks at it half full.  

Like I said, more deer would help where it is appropriate but I have never seen the kids enjoying our sport like I have in the last couple of years.  From the youth pheasant and squirrel hunts, the youth gobbler season and the added deer opportunties, this year has been a banner one for the kids.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:20:52 (permalink)
    Whether one sees a deer. If all they experience is "staring into emopty woods", then the mentor has done a **** poor job, and with the wrong objective. Just my opinion.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:24:07 (permalink)
    You also have to keep in mine it will take several years for the mentors to even get to Junior Hunter age and longer yet to get an adult license... but with the permit they can be tracked by the PGC ...

crossbows, junior hunts, transferring tags, etc are all still "relatively" new to the sport...

we'll see how it goes in another 5-6 years...

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:27:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

we'll see how it goes in another 5-6 years...

Yep.  Kinda scary to think where we would have been without these new intitiatives?

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 14:39:50 (permalink)
    Thats okay, S-10. For every one that looks at the glass half empty, there is one that looks at it half full.

I tend to look at the numbers rather than get carried away by opinions or a few pictures. Successful hunters are happy hunters, unsuccessful hunters don't get their picture taken. It's not half full/empty, it's the published hard data that counts.

Your talking to someone who has spent a lot of time and been very successful with mentored hunters and junior hunters since they started the program so I know the pros and cons of the issue and what it takes to keep the interest.

Spoon---You don't have to dress warm, get up at 5AM and be out in all kinds of weather lugging a gun or bow to enjoy the outdoors. You do if you want to be a successful hunter. The ones that just want to be outdoors get up at 9, wait for a warm sunny day, pack a lunch, and take an enjoyable hike looking at flowers and leaves. That's the difference between taking my grandson and one of my granddaughters.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 16:27:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

The statistic that will tell is will they have enough success to keep the interest once they try it. So far the short answer is no since the junior numbers have dropped as fast as the increase in mentored. Time well tell but success in any sport is what keeps the interest and the juniors haven't had enough success to keep them coming back as juniors not to mention them not coming back as adult hunters. Starting them as 8-10yo with supervision is a good thing but staring at a blank computer screen is not what made the internet a success and staring at a empty woods has the same effect on a young hunter.

Agreed, Many youth have quite hunting in our area do to the lack of game. If one has plenty of game to hunt then the youth programs are great for keeping most interested. Not all areas are the same with amount of game and not all hunters have the option of hunting private ground where the game numbers might not be as low. Time will tell as the numbers kept will show the big picture here. I'm hoping for, but thinking not unless we have a change in game management.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 16:45:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Agreed, Many youth have quite hunting in our area do to the lack of game. 

Lack of which game? It was all about squirrel hunting for me when I started hunting. Luckily, my uncle who took me had no problems going squirrel hunting and watching me be successful at it.  We used to drive 1.5 hours one way to do it too.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 17:25:33 (permalink)
    Lack of which game?

Really. You think kids today want to kill a big nutted squirrel and maybe have it mounted like what they watch on the OUTDOOR CHANNEL ? Todays outdoor tv has a big influence as to what they want to hunt. Squirrels is not the #1 animal for youths today although some do enjoy hunting them.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 17:32:30 (permalink)
    Is it the kids or their parents that don't want to hunt anything but deer? Like I said, I couldn't sleep Friday nights when my uncle was taking me squirrel hunting.

Every now and then I hang up the bow and carry the 22 for squirrel.  You forget how fun it is sometimes.  IMO, there is nothing better for getting kids in the woods.  Unfortunately, in todays world, many adults just don't want to take the time then they blame it on no deer.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/10/23 17:37:51

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 17:48:10 (permalink)
    I agree Gene..

I still enjoy squirrel hunting very much.. Today's big game TV shows and adults telling kids it's all about the kill to be successful or even a good hunter .. that is what is causing many to lose interest if they do not kill a deer... and not many take time out of their "busy" schedules anymore for squirrel hunting.. the same goes for almost all small game.. it's pretty hard to get a kid started when small game numbers are the lowest ever... now it's all deer or turkeys and both of those are really hard for a kid to learn on.. movement will bust a hunter in those two sports more than anything and most kids today can't sit still for more than about 4 minutes...

I helped locate a mentored hunter and his adult hunter yesterday to where I knew deer were coming to the apple trees, They were about 250 yards from my blind... No deer showed up for either of us though...

The kid came and knocked on the door after dark just to thank me for the advice... and to tell me they saw no deer, but did see chipmunks and squirrels and he enjoyed the evening hunt...
    Now was it the kid or the adult who had him knock on the door.. answer.. doesn't matter the kid enjoyed his hunt... and I respect him for the thank you ... just to bad he did not get to see the deer that come to that neighbor's apples tree ... but did say he and his Dad saw all the tracks under the apple tree... he seemed really happy and I told him I hope to see him in rifle season...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/23 17:49:24
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 18:39:51 (permalink)
    Lack of which game? It was all about squirrel hunting for me when I started hunting

How many of those photos of smiling mentored kils were holding squirrels. I also started on squirrels and rabbits but today it's all about DEER and to a lesser extent turkey both of which are a downward trend. As stated, it's another result of the influence of television and the QDMA and others promotion of big bucks.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/23 18:51:02 (permalink)

How many of those photos of smiling mentored kils were holding squirrels.

A few squirrels, some pheasants, but deer surely are a focus these days. Lots of reasons for that, but I feel the deer is the scapegoat for the lack of will by many hunters to get kids into the outdoors.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 00:12:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

Is it the kids or their parents that don't want to hunt anything but deer? Like I said, I couldn't sleep Friday nights when my uncle was taking me squirrel hunting.

Every now and then I hang up the bow and carry the 22 for squirrel.  You forget how fun it is sometimes.  IMO, there is nothing better for getting kids in the woods.  Unfortunately, in todays world, many adults just don't want to take the time then they blame it on no deer.

KIDS want deer plain and simple. A good parent will support and take their kids to hunt what ever interest them same as any other sport. Things have changed since you were a kid. How many years ago was that and how many deer were in the area around Allegheny County ?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 07:35:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

KIDS want deer plain and simple.

Do they, or is it that all they know?  Or is it all their parents want to hunt? 

Things have changed since you were a kid. How many years ago was that and how many deer were in the area around Allegheny County ?

Things have changed.  Folks are hunting less whether there are deer there or not.  I deer hunt in argueably the best deer hunting area of the state.  It is basically a 5 hour hunt these days.  7:00am till noon of the first day.  10 years ago, same woods and area tons of hunters. 

To answer your question.  My uncle took me hunting when I was a kid.  We hunted, Butler, Venango, Greene and Washington Counties for small game.  For deer we hunted Butler.  Most of my hunting was for squirrel. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/10/24 07:39:10

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 09:42:56 (permalink)
    dpms has a good point. If you want youth to stay involved in hunting I think you need to get them on some squirrels and other small game.
    After all, most of the time deer hunting is over with one shot sometimes very soon after entering the woods...

ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 10:00:03 (permalink)
    I totally agree with what you've been saying dpms.  Getting those kids out there shooting some squirrels and rabbits is the best way to introducing them to the sport.  Not only that, but it teaches them the basic hunting skills and will keep their interest because squirrels are plentiful to hunt for the most part.

Years ago I started out hunting rabbits in the pastures of Westmoreland Co..  The action was fast and nonstop.  I was hooked and eventually moved on to deer hunting a few years later.

Why would anyone want to take a young kid deer hunting without taking him/her small game hunting first?  That's like taking a young kid fishing for big musky when in fact he/she would have more fun catching bluegill or sunfish because they are more plentiful and the action is much greater.

post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/10/24 10:23:51
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 10:41:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

That's like taking a young kid fishing for big musky when in fact he/she would have more fun catching bluegill or sunfish because they are more plentiful and the action is much greater.

A good analogy, ridgehunter.  I take my 8 year old daughter fishing several times a year.  Though I could probably put her on a bass or two every outing, it is panfish that get the focus for obvious reasons. 

My point is there are alot of excuses floating around for why kids are not hunting.  Deer are used as a scapegoat way too often, even when there are plenty in some areas.  As I said, my areas of 2A don't see near the pressure compared to just 10 years ago.  It isn't from a lack of deer.  Adults just are not into hunting as much as previously and why it is so important to take steps to get folks into the woods that want to still hunt.

I understand that deer populations are a factor in some areas.  I know several that don't make the trip any longer becuase of it.  But, I also know too many kids that have only hunted deer and nothing else. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/10/24 10:46:30

fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 11:16:30 (permalink)
    I agree with dpms. I have been hunting for 40 years started out on small game with a single shot shot gun because my dad said that was a good gun to start with, sure I wanted a big pump gun and a big rifle but dad said I had to learn the basics first and how to make the first shot count. I hunted deer with that gun for 3 years before I got my rifle, and 6 years before I got a pump gun. The point is hunting small game kept my interest and taught me alot about the woods, deer hunting was the iceing on the cake. I see the same thing on opening day dad & kid out of the woods by noon. So 5hrs aday for 3 days ( first day, sat.&sat. ) + no deer = little johny would rather play videos.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 12:27:50 (permalink)
    Kids watch television, kids are influenced by television,how many shows do you see about hunting squirels or rabbits? It's all big bucks, gobblers, and some ducks. Between the QDMA shows, Texas canned hunts, and all the others both kids and their parents have been conditioned to want big bucks and gobblers. It is what it is and it's not the same as when I was a kid or even when my kid was a kid. Even the PGC is doing everything geared to kids killing more deer although I think for a different reason.
    Much of the same procedure necessary to kill a squirrel is necessary to kill a deer and which gives the kid the most bragging rights? Hunting rabbits, ringnecks, and grouse is a lot of work and many kids not only aren't interested in that much work they aren't in proper condition to do it.
    Ask Dardys about the long waiting line of kids wanting to go on a free guided ringneck hunt with champion pointers? I would have killed for the chance at that age as would have most of my classmates. 96% of hunters are deer hunters and bemoaning that fact won't change it.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 15:40:57 (permalink)
    I might add that some more deer in certain areas would also help. I think that is also happening to some extent.

Yeah. Killing more deer, yet the numbers are increasing? I don't think so bud. I think the numbers have definately flattened off, but a drop is on the way with all this added opportunity. I would be shocked if the harvest numbers werent up this year, judging by all the crossbows being sold, the new youth opportunities, and changes to ar. What will that mean to deer herd size? I think it safe to say it doesnt = "that happening to some extent".

"As I said, my areas of 2A don't see near the pressure compared to just 10 years ago
    ."

SOME areas here its the same for me. But thats only to be expected when there are now half the deer. Still plenty of hunters. And in OTHER areas that I tend to try to avoid, there are as many hunters as ever, if not more.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 15:45:18 (permalink)
    Why would anyone want to take a young kid deer hunting without taking him/her small game hunting first? That's like taking a young kid fishing for big musky

Not a good analogy imho. Musky are extreme. I fish for 'em to some extent, and there is no reason why simply taking a kid out and putting them in place to get a crack at a skinhead should never EVER be expected to have that kind of patience and effort involved which can often be expected of musky fishing. Rember we arent talking about a kid shooting a book buck here. We're talking about just any old deer for the mostpart for junior.

There is absolutely no reason why deer hunting shouldnt be a pleasant desirable experience for our youth. None whatsoever. At least when talking about kids of reasonable age and corresponding maturity levels. Not necessarily 6 year olds.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/24 15:46:14
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 16:34:41 (permalink)
    I was getting worried. Thought you left town, Wayne. 

Anyway, participation is way down around both of the areas I hunt in 2A.  Deer numbers are down but still plenty to go around.  Something other than deer has to be contributing to the decreasing participation in areas with still healthy deer populations.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/10/24 16:46:32

ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/24 17:13:23 (permalink)
    There is absolutely no reason why deer hunting shouldnt be a pleasant desirable experience for our youth. None whatsoever. At least when talking about kids of reasonable age and corresponding maturity levels. Not necessarily 6 year olds

I disagree.  If they're not seeing game on each outing and only staring at empty woods while freezing their butts off, it's very difficult to keep their interest.  How does that make for a pleasant desirable experience?

BTW, my earlier analogy about musky fishing was based on the size of the fish, not the difficulty catching it.
    post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/10/24 17:16:58
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:07:32 (permalink)

Ask Dardys about the long waiting line of kids wanting to go on a free guided ringneck hunt with champion pointers? I would have killed for the chance at that age as would have most of my classmates. 96% of hunters are deer hunters and bemoaning that fact won't change it.

S-10 makes a good point.

Guided at a youth hunt on Saturday morning.  The hunt was held at a preserve and is the cooperative effort of the preserve, some local bird dog kennels, local outdoor gear merchants, SCI, and many more.  The hunt is advertised at a few outdoor shows that probably draw in the high 1,000's if not over 10,000.  Interested parents/youth sign up at the sport shows.  Space is limited to 16 youths, so a drawing is held to determine who can participate.

The morning includes a safety seminar, shotgun shooting, archery shooting, hands-on dog training seminar, lunch for the youth and parent, doorprizes (every youth received at least two -- ranging from hats to $100 gift cards), and a guided hunt.  The guided hunt consisted of two youths per hunt and for each hunt, 10 pheasants were stocked.  The retail value of the total hunt for two, plus the use of a guide, would normally be in the $375 range (a cost that was not revealed), not including the guide gratuity (tipping was not permitted and all of the guides volunteered their time and dogs -- on the opening day of pheasant season).  The cost per youth was $50.  The reason for the fee is that in the past when no fee was charged, over 50% of those signed up for the hunt never showed.  The fee gives them a little skin in the game.

From all the "interest" sign-ups at the sports shows, which numbered in the hundreds, the first 16 were chosen and called.  Some couldn't make it and others were drawn and called.  In the end, all that had signed-up were called and told there was a spot open for them becuase the field never became full.  At the actual event, only 15 youths participated.  That means that of the thousands, perhaps over 10,000, sports show goers, several hundred showed enough interest to sign-up, but only 15 took advantage of the event.

I guided two groups of two.  The first trip produced all 10 birds and one bird was bagged by each youth.  Both youths were pretty happy as were the parents.

The second trip produced seven birds and one bird was bagged as a "community" kill (harvest, whatever) when both youths shot it at the same time.  Neither youth was happy because they couldn't claim the bird as "theirs."  One refused to have his photo taken.

At the lunch after the hunts, there were some excited youths, there were some good stories being told, and there were some young hunters that now had an interest.  But there were just as many that were talking about it not being worth the effort, that there should have been more birds, that it was too hard, that the door prizes weren't great, etc. and not all of that was coming from the youths.  This year, the preserve did not clean the birds (the person that volunteered last year had a prior committment) and there were birds left because they were not cleaned fro them.

I was slated to guide a trip in the afternoon, but it was cancelled because the mother of one of the youths (he and his father were going to hunt) called and said they had to be home for some other activity.  So I had the afternoon to head out for some PGC birds.  I took a friend, and one of the father/son groups from the youth hunt that I guided with me.  We didn't do too well, it was late afternoon by the time we got there, the dogs were tired from the morning, the birds were worked over pretty hard by the morning hunters, etc. and we only ended up with two downed birds.  The youth, as hard as we tried, didn't get a shot in the three hours we put in.

I told the father, "I guess your son now knows the difference between going on a hunt (preserve) and going hunting (PGC birds)."

What will be interesting is whether he goes on either again and, if so, which will it be?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:14:41 (permalink)
    Congrats on your efforts- sure a lot of those kids will remember that for the rest of their lives and hopefully will follow up as future hunters.
      That said it was painfully obvious that there were also modern kids who thought they had to WIN just for showing up with no consideration whatsoever to effort or common sense realities. ( parents too)
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:18:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

The morning includes archery shooting,

Did you tell them archers have too long to hunt ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: The greatest recuitment tools yet 2011/10/25 11:21:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

and not all of that was coming from the youths.  This year, the preserve did not clean the birds (the person that volunteered last year had a prior committment) and there were birds left because they were not cleaned fro them.

Bout sums up my point.  I feel it is the parent's lack of effort, in many cases, that are the cause of decreased participation by our youth.  Not the lack of game or opportunity, which are commonly used as excuses. 

There is way more to this issue than the scapegoats being used by many. Participation is decreasing, even when and where game is plentiful for those willing to carry on the tradition. Your experience being a great example.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/10/25 11:26:32

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: