The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is..

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/13 14:11:21 (permalink)
Anz,

The biggest mistake you have made which i havent even pointed out yet is this; You spoke of only level 5. When every level other than a "1" indicates that there was some degree of "dislike" they had for the game populations enough to list it as a factor in their decision to quit, at all in the first place, and they did not list it as a "1" or nonfactor.

9% ranked it a 2. 13% ranked it a 3. 8.2% ranked it a 4. And 23.1% ranked it a 5.

What that means with no twist added, is that 53.3%, over half, had an issue with the lack of game populations enough to list it as a factor in their decision making. Whereas your deduction was that 23.1% were not happy with game populations. That is simply false on more than one level. In wording as i pointed out, and by the fact, that by default you are saying 76.9% were satisfied with game populations. When the numbers tell us, that simply isnt even close to being true as I illustrated above. 53.3% considering it an issue in their decision making means only 46.9% didnt.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/13 14:14:24
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/13 14:16:44 (permalink)
Anz, I guess I was in the process of posting and got my first post of the last two in before you deleted your last post. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone reading wonder what in the world I was quoting from. lol. I guess that means you agreed?

Btw, nice website.
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/13 15:33:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anzomcik

"Yes 23% of laps hunter (resident and nonresident) rated a 5 for lack of game.
They recived only 1968 surveys back, making that 23% = 453 people who did not like the amount of game "

This is the root of many misunderstandings, i quoted myself from a while back up on the top of this. As you had cleared up in post 61 of this thread. I originally wrote in rated a #5, but shorthanded since. We have beat that horse pretty well dead and i hope that is cleared up.

Also I am not sure what you mean about your latest post as my most recent post was around the 12:45 mark today. this would be my third of today. So I dont know what you are talking about in post 62.

weather or not you say you have or havnt checked my math, I was attempting to show people real numbers in a light that was as unbais as possible. The unfortanant part of any of these two sided subjects is that reguard of how you present the information somthing will always be left up to interpret, or scrutinised, or by mean wording. In life I am finding these is no neutral side, somone will always view you are the "ememey" (i use that as a term for somone seen as a person with oposing view)

One thing I think everyone can agree on is there was an almost 2% decrease in tag sales last year to this year. It is up to you on why you think that happened.

Last item for Wayne, Thanks for the complements on my website. I worked hard to build that site. Thanks
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/13 16:09:25 (permalink)
The deal with the post has a very simple explanation as well. lol

Ridgehunters post was not there previously. It came in after I was posting, in between our posts. lol. Did not mean to imply anything inappropriate on your part, just thought you wanted to make same edits or something, and instead just decided to delete and repost, which is sometimes easier. Then again, now that I think about it, I dont think you can delete a post anyway unless a mod does it? If you do, you just get a blank place-holder post.

Anyway, I was posting quickly, with time restraints here running around like a chicken with head cut-off, but see where the post I quoted is now. Sorry for the confusion.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/13 16:12:03
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/13 17:13:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

All I am going to say on this one is that NO REAL HUNTERS would or could quit for any reason other than because they can’t physically do it anymore.

There were and always will undoubtedly be some people that never really enjoyed hunting and only went out to kill something that quit when they can’t easily kill something. But, I guess I never figured those people as being real hunters anyway.
 R.S. Bodenhorn

Do you think that there are enough "Real Hunters" out there to support our sport ? Or do you think that CHANGE might encourage more to join or rejoin the hunting woods of Pa ?
BenC
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/14 08:45:19 (permalink)
I am not sure if cyotes have been discussed yet here but I just heard (second hand) a compelling story. A friend of mine told me that his buddy (so actually third hand) found a yote den on his property and put a trail cam in front of it. He said that 15 fawns were brought into that den in one spring. Does that sound believable? If so, it is a good arguement to start shooting more cyotes if you want more deer. I never shot them bc I can't eat them but I may be changing that soon. I wanted some feedback on the validity of that story please.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/14 09:21:48 (permalink)
Does that sound believable

That same story has been being posted on internet boards for about 4 years now .. so no I do not believe it....

BTW.. IF you believe it = why would the yotes be in dens in the spring long enough to drag
15 fawns there ??????????????????????? Did they stay iin a den all summer ???????????????

As for shooting them.. I'm still waiting for #1 .. but yes I'll shoot the first one I see.. to me they are a waste .. especially in the numbers of them around here.... I realize they have a place in the wildlife scene but they also need to have their population controlled and hunting , as with most species, is the best way.....

let us know if you get one !!!!

BTW.. coyotes are born in Mid-April to May and usually a litter is 5 to 7 pups and they disperse and start their own lives at 6 months old in October...
so once again in early spring the pups would not be eating much meat and a fawn would last Mom awhile and I doubt they remain in that same den much past June...although how long they actually stay in the same "den" I am not sure of... just a guess at that one
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/14 09:29:11
BenC
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/14 10:32:26 (permalink)
Thanks. I thought that sounded extreme, but I had not heard that story before.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/16 22:55:01 (permalink)
Ben-- a number of years ago the State of NY did a fawn succes study and found that Yotes do in fact kill  many Fawns. As I  recall they actually dug out dens and used bones to do the research on fawn kills.
   It was a long time ago when Yotes were still not as abundant as today and I couldnt begin to tell ya where or exactly when it was published. But we recall it and speak of it when dealing with Yotes. Was possibly a story line  in one of the big 3.
  Tail cam is a great way to do similar research today.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/17 09:27:32 (permalink)
coyotes do eat fawns - as well as black bear
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/17 12:05:22 (permalink)
   15 scrawny young fawns aint much meat when considering that there may be several hungry pups in and around a den for weeks. We all know fawn birthing is spread over time and that they are therefore readily available to a mother feeding her young. Yotes eat anyhthing available so fawns at that time of year are a prime and easy target. Easy to catch too compared to other meat.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/10/17 15:45:13
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: