The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is..

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/07 19:29:29 (permalink)

The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is..

According to the lapsed hunter survey, lack of game.

54% of respondents indicated lack of game had some level of influence on the decision not to buy. That was the highest scoring category.

It was also number one out of the several categories which included not having enough time, license fees and others... when speaking of which STRONGLY influenced them. Lack of game was the highest picked with 23.1%.

What would get them to buy again? Number one answer was higher game populations...

LAPSED HUNTER SURVEY

Click on the lapsed hunter survey link on the page that loads.

70 Replies Related Threads

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/07 19:42:01 (permalink)
    Just means MORE deer for me!!! Effort=reward
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/07 20:06:13 (permalink)
    "Just means MORE deer for me!!!"

It would also mean MORE deer for you if those hunters were retained, and the deer numbers were increased. Then it would also mean more funding, stronger voice in legistive matters, and more.

"Effort=reward"

Only problem with that is, when considering the overall picture, the level of effort has gone up immensely for the same or less "reward" for most.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/07 20:22:15 (permalink)
    Na na na na....hey hey....good bye
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/07 22:06:16 (permalink)
    he he

Its just ashame that Rosenberry and a couple others havent gotten what they deserve out of all this. Then you could have another several hundred thousand hunters singing that song glee-fully right along with you.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/07 22:39:11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 01:51:22 (permalink)
    Methinks "lack of game" = "lack of deer up at camp" for the vast majority of responders to the poll.

Which I believe, based on anecdotal evidence.

I'm too young, or didn't hunt in the right places, to experience the "good old days" of deer hunting. Started hunting in '88 at age 13. In my teen years, I took 2 bucks, and 3 does, but there was never a deer behind every tree where I hunted.

A good year for me, from, say, age 13-20, was a couple of squirrels and a few rabbits. I was happy to get a shot at a pheasant, and bagged 3 in my teen years. I didn't get a deer every year, and it wasn't by choice.

A good year for me now is a deer, 3 or 4 pheasants, 5 or 6 ducks and a couple of geese.

I haven't shot a deer in a few years, but that was by choice - could have taken a doe if I had wanted to but have had a freezer full of beef for the past 2 deer seasons. That will change this year.

Get plenty of shooting at pheasants the 3 or 4 times a year I chase the stocking truck

In roughly 10 duck hunts last year, I had an opportunity to shoot a limit of mallards (4 - and mallards are all I get around here) at least 6 times, but I get a little jumpy sometimes when it's time to shoot. 3 early season goose hunts last year, and I got 2.

I'd like to see a few more deer on the property I hunt in 2B, but see plenty to keep my interest up on property I hunt in 2D. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the amount of game I get a chance to kill each year.

I'm an average hunter, and don't go crazy spending full days afield. With the exception of the first day of deer season, most of my hunts are under 2 hours just because of other priorities.

I suspect that with a little diversification and perseverance, that those hunters that cite "lack of game" would find plenty of opportunities out there if they really wanted to hunt.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 12:30:16 (permalink)
    Methinks "lack of game" = "lack of deer up at camp" for the vast majority of responders to the poll.

Which I believe, based on anecdotal evidence.

Not really-----The buck kill is down approx 40% from Pre AR/HR---- Even the PGC says the total deer herd is down 25% statewide but has actually INCREASED in the urban areas. ( No wonder you city dwellers don't see any problem), The pheasant population which is mostly stocked birds is down close to 90% from it's height and the turkey population is down more than a third fron the 2000 numbers.

Geese, coyote and bear numbers are good but everything else is way down from a decade ago.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 14:03:15 (permalink)
    Hi 10-
      What you describe seems to be the norm here too- not just in PA- dont know if some of it is cyclical or if something is up environmently but. in general. numbers are not what they used to be---cept in those Urban place with tons of unhindered Deer and lots of folks feeding backyard Turkey year round.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 14:23:21 (permalink)
    You can't expect to protect hawks and owls, reintroduce fishers and other predators, have a coyote population go from zero to a hundred thousand or more, take steps to overharvest the deer herd and not decrease the prey population. Aw well, we will still have tweety birds and posies to hunt.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 16:11:17 (permalink)
         Yea- thats kinda the environmental stuff that I meant-cept the harvest part- ours is reasonable and we are still havin 'issues' here and there.
       Will NEVER believe that yotes dont have serious impact on fawn survival rates. When its all put together -no wonder Turkey numbers appear to be in decline.        
          They are all eatin somethin and it aint Bunnies anymore.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/10/08 16:13:33
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 18:13:26 (permalink)
    I know I probably wont be hunting our management unit anytime soon, 1-B took em 10 years to get off the 4 on 1 side BS . Who knows maybe 10 years from now I will consider going afield again then again maybe not. Just hunt outa state in Ohio more than likely , Eat your heart out Pa.( DUH I WONDER WHY?) 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 19:40:34 (permalink)
    Just hunt outa state in Ohio more than likely , Eat your heart out Pa.( DUH I WONDER WHY?)

Seems to be the norm----since 2000 Ohios non-resident license sales have doubled while in the same period ours have dropped 22%.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 20:35:54 (permalink)
    "lack of game" = "lack of deer up at camp"

I see more deer around Pittsburgh then I do in McKean county.

In the late 70's to early 90's I got a deer every year in the Marshburg or Corydon areas and saw lots of deer.

Now hunters can go out all day and not see a deer up there.

Camps are part of the hunting tradition that I and a lot of others enjoy and relate it to the whole hunting experience.

I did not buy a license this year yet and might not.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/08 20:57:32 (permalink)
    Drive from CT to upstate Ny bout every other week year round. On night trips the most consistent Deer sightings are IN Albany passing through on the Throughway. Houses and business, gold course etc- all around.
      Urban Deer - no matter where ya go the numbers seem high.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/10/08 20:58:12
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 08:55:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

You can't expect to protect hawks and owls, reintroduce fishers and other predators, have a coyote population go from zero to a hundred thousand or more, take steps to overharvest the deer herd and not decrease the prey population. Aw well, we will still have tweety birds and posies to hunt.

SSSHHHH!

Next thing you know there will be petal restrictions and that will go to h@ll in a handbasket too!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 11:25:02 (permalink)
    The number one excuse I hear from guys in my age group (25-45) is.

"I just don't have any time".

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 12:25:10 (permalink)
    That could go hand in hand with the lack of game,MM. There is still a population of deer but to be sucsessful, you have to put far more time into the effort then in years of yore....WF
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 12:42:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Same here. Lots of guys in my neighborhood hunt or used to hunt. 4 that I know of don't buy a license anymore due to time constraints due to their wives and them both working, kids in school, dance classes, karate classes, football, baseball, soccer, this, that and the other...

Sunday hunting would really help guys like this out.

My kids are nearing that age so I will most likely be cutting back a whole bunch but I could NEVER go cold turkey.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 12:45:29 (permalink)

Interesting in that a lot of people in my age group said the same thing when I started hunting. It's not so much lack of time as it is lack of will to make the necessary adjustments to make the time. I worked two jobs in the early days and still made time by giving up golfing and bar hopping. I also elected to make time by changing from days to afternoon shift before I had much vacation. It's not lack of time, it's how you elect to spend it.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 15:41:44 (permalink)
    There are alot of reasons people quit hunting, one being lack of game. But I know for sure, the lack of game is sometimes used as a scapegoat too. I know hunters that quit that say lack of deer yet they don't turkey or squirrel hunt anymore either. Lack of places to hunt is true but also used as a scapegoat too. Saw the neighbor's climber in the "fall cleanup" garbage pile the other day. He quit about 15 years ago. He is not healthy anymore but at the time he quit he was. The private property he used to hunt got posted. It was one of those places back in the day where everybody hunted.. nobody asked, and the landowner was okay with that. Thing is, there is gamelands just down the road about 300 yards and at the time my neighbor quit, the private property got more pressure and the gamelands had the same amount of deer. The truth is, he quit because he just didn't care to hunt, not from lack of places as he stated. There are alot of things competing for everyone's time nowadays, it's just a matter of where you want to spend it.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 16:33:54 (permalink)
    "I know hunters that quit that say lack of deer yet they don't turkey or squirrel hunt anymore either."

All that shows is that squirrel and turkey are not the answers to hunter retention, and what most already know. Deer is #1 with most hunters.

Im guessing that not very many squirrel hunters arent also deer hunters. And I dont believe many would quit deer hunting due to the deer situation, yet continue to buy a license just to hunt tree rats. Just not something you are going to see alot of, I believe. as is attested to by the stats that show how small those ranks actually are comparatively.

I agree about time constraints, and its a lot easier to make that time for something when its not seen as wasted time. If I tell my hunting buddy that he needs to take off work next Monday because I have found a new property, scouted it and have picked out a couple of real sweet spots,is almost guaranteed he will do so. If I tell him to take off the Monday to hunt an area he has hunted several times and seen a total of 3 does and little sign, I doubt he would be salivating to make the time.

More and more hunters are seeing fewer and fewer deer. Lot easier for them to not make the time.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/11 16:35:04
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 19:10:46 (permalink)
    Thats why its called HUNTING.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 20:20:31 (permalink)
    I think in that case we should lower the state deer herd to 3 dpsm. We can REALLY hunt then boy, let me tell ya! lol.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/10/11 20:22:59
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/11 21:06:36 (permalink)
    I completely quit because of mismanagement.  I wouldn't give them a nickel and wouldn't care it the PGC folded tomorrow.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 01:15:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

I completely quit because of mismanagement.  I wouldn't give them a nickel and wouldn't care it the PGC folded tomorrow.

Wish I "had" a NICKLE for every time I heard that statement !
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 08:02:38 (permalink)
    I have to wonder about statements like that..quitting because of the game commission and their actions. Sounds like someone was just looking for an excuse to quit.. or was going to end up quitting eventually anyway. You really must not have cared much about hunting in the first place. Hunting is part of my life. It is in my blood.. no action the PGC makes is going to change that. I hunt the "devastated" public state forest lands of PA's deer herd so no one can talk to me about lack of deer. The USA could make hunting illegal and I'd still do it.

But anyway, enjoy your time off from hunting.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 08:03:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

"I know hunters that quit that say lack of deer yet they don't turkey or squirrel hunt anymore either."

All that shows is that squirrel and turkey are not the answers to hunter retention, and what most already know. Deer is #1 with most hunters.

Apparentely deer aren't either considering only 2 states in the USA have seen an increase in hunter numbers.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 08:05:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

Sorry to see you hang it up.  But, as participation decreases, opportunities will increase for those of us that continue to enjoy our sport. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 09:52:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Same here. Lots of guys in my neighborhood hunt or used to hunt. 4 that I know of don't buy a license anymore due to time constraints due to their wives and them both working, kids in school, dance classes, karate classes, football, baseball, soccer, this, that and the other...

Sunday hunting would really help guys like this out.

My kids are nearing that age so I will most likely be cutting back a whole bunch but I could NEVER go cold turkey.

how true. 

and it isn't because i wont give up time to bar hop or party. i simply dont have the time i used to have.  life gets busy, and it is tough to keep making time to hunt when there are 42 things you could be doing that would be productive.  Try living with 3 kids, putting an addition on a house, having wrestling/football/baseball.  It is hard to say, "Sorry babe, had a rough day at work.  I need to clear my head.  Going hunting/fishing/whatever this evening, I hope you dont fall off the ladder."  Although it truly is nessicary once in a while, and I am lucky in that department for certain, it really isnt that relaxing or enjoyable when you are sitting there thinking about what you could be getting accoplished. 

And dont get me wrong, i am not going to stop hunting/fly fishing/etc.  I just have to modify some of my hunting and fishing to make it more youth friendly.  Bowhunting every weekend isnt the easiest thing to do with a 12 and 6 y.o.  But tree rats are prevalent, and easy to hunt.  I might not fly fish the gnarliest section of a tailwater much, but i sure can show them how to toss a popper or rubber worm to some farm pond bass.  So you can still get out, but the williness to change or modify your hunting methods has to be there.  You still have to make time to hunt your hunt too, it is just a balancign act with your priorities.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The #1 reason Pa hunters did not buy a license is.. 2011/10/12 11:07:57 (permalink)
    Sorry to see you hang it up. But, as participation decreases, opportunities will increase for those of us that continue to enjoy our sport.

My rifle is a black rifle

Care to point out any state where that has happened over the long haul. As participation decreases support for the activity (any activity)decreases, funding decreases, other groups concerns take presidence,etc.
    I don't care to have hunting season changed because the bird watchers and flower sniffers want more time on our gamelands without some bloodthursty hunter flinging bullets or arrows.
    They only reason we have what we do is because of our numbers. Hell, the PGC has already started getting alternative funding for non game species and are using hunters money for their share of the projects. Why do you think Doc and Essox are able to keep pointing out the research on game birds and animals I quote is not recent. The money is going elsewhere.We are already seeing the results of decreased hunter numbers and it will only get worse.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: