Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/28 23:18:50 (permalink)

Things to do with the family or a good area to fish

Sunday I have to go up to erie. My fiance wants to go along with me so we figured wed make a day out of it with our son. Which area would be good for me to fish while they stay in the car and watch so we dont have to worry bout taking him out into the cold air? What other things besides fishing would you reccommend we could do. I only know fishing and eating any ideas?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

42 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/28 23:36:20 (permalink)
    Kyler, welcome to the world of parenting and congrats on that new guy.  There's nothing more rewarding (and frustrating at times) than having kids.

Let me give you a piece of advice that comes from being married for 10 years and having 2 kids.  There is no woman in the world that would be happy sitting in a car with a newborn while her husband fishes, unless you're planning to fish for a half hour.  She might tolerate it, but she'll hate you for it and resent every minute of it.  Now, I'm guessing that when you say you HAVE to go to Erie, you're going for some other reason.  If you've got a shred of common sense, you'll say to yourself, "Self, I think I need to leave the fishing stuff at home for this trip to Erie." 

Or, if you're like me, you'll offer to drop her off at the mall for a few hours to do some Christmas shopping so you can hit the streams

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 00:00:24 (permalink)
    I have to go up saturday nite for a meeting, then sunday she said why dont you catch a couple steelhead so we have smoked fish for out xmas party coming up and I have to pick one up from last weekend because poor richards west ran out so I got a ticket. Its great because SHE recommended bout going fishing. We got a dvd player in the jeep so shell sit in the back with Linden watch seasons of coach or golden girls on dvd. But I said well maybe you can do some shopping at the mall and she liked that idea but she hates spending money I have to say go ahead and get that before she finally breaks down and gets it. Also shes afraid to buy our son anything because hes growing so fast.

-Steve Rinella
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 00:35:06 (permalink)
    They grow up faster than you know! Next thing , you old.

theyjustswimup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 01:22:51 (permalink)
    went to college for a bit in erie, go to splash lagoon at the holiday in and take a dip in there indoor water park if you got the cash. also there are some nice shopping malls?

Why walk on water when we've got boats?
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 03:14:28 (permalink)
    your womans setting you up kyler. thats the oldest trick in the book. let me tell you, IF YOU GO YOU WILL PAY. I fell for it a few times. "why dont you go fishing honey, ill stay with the kids today" then the next time you get into a fight "your out fishing while im at home with the kids, bla bla bla".  thats what they do when they need some more material to throw in your face when they need it. DONT FALL FOR IT. when they say "go fishing" you say "no thanks id rather stay with you and the kids today.
    Troutbum1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 06:42:43 (permalink)
    What nightowl said, It's the truth.
    Save the fishing for another day.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 07:43:09 (permalink)
    Kyler,

Presque Isle is a good option for the family.  As for steelhead fishing with the family close, I would say try the Elk creek access area or the project waters on Walnut.  I know they are not ideal, but the parking is close to the stream and there should be a good chance to catch some fish.  There are a couple of other spots that I will pm you.

As someone else suggested, Splash Lagoon might be a fun place.  The Tom Ridge center is pretty interesting and is free.  

There a lot of good places to eat, everything from the chains like Eat and Park, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Smokey Bones, Max and Erma's, Applebees, Panera Breads, etc... There are some more local places like El Canelo's mexican, Serrafini's Italian, Joe Roots, Oscar's Pub, Arnones Italian, the Avonia tavern, Freeport tavern, and many more.  I am sure there are others on here who will give you their favorite place to eat.

Good luck when you come up.

pax vobiscum +
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 08:43:09 (permalink)
    Kyler congrats on the new baby!  The fishing hasn't been great but you could fish the big hole at my house.  You can pull the car right up to the hole. You'd be maybe five yards from the car.  PM me for more details.  Brad

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 08:58:09 (permalink)
    That was nice of you Happy Guy.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 09:10:37 (permalink)
    "Self, I think I need to leave the fishing stuff at home for this trip to Erie." 

I'm sorry but thats just not possible during steelhead season
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 09:19:02 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone who said you'd be wise to decline your wife's offer, esp. if you went last weekend.  But I doubt you'll listen to us--I know I wouldn't have if I were in your shoes.

When my kids were young I put them in a "baby sling" across my chest--don't really know what else to call it.  I'd take 'em out and alot of times they'd just sleep while I fished.  When they woke up I showed them fish and they loved it.  When they got the slightest bit fussy, it was time to go.

Of course, that was Florida...
    REDMAN9603
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 09:55:11 (permalink)
    I know a lot of guys look down on the basin at Walnut, but it is an exact fit for what you need. Your family can watch you fish and there are always fish to be caught in the basin. Also, you can position yourself so you can watch them. That parking lot is pretty safe during the day. Black jigs under a bobber or emeralds under a bobber should get you a couple. Good luck!

dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 10:36:31 (permalink)
    Trust me.  Have her go shopping while you fish.  If she sits in the car and watches you watch a bobber for a couple hours.............you will pay.
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 10:51:25 (permalink)
    kyler, don't listen to these guys... you know your wife, and if she suggested you go fishing, then go fishing.
    Not all women like to go shopping.

My hubby will out fish me quite often, I sometimes get bored if I'm not catching anything after awhile, or my back starts to hurt, so I occupy myself by taking pictures or catching up on reading. I've sat in the car quite often while he kept fishing, and no, he doesn't ever pay for it later. I'd be more angry if he suggested I go shopping all day while he went fishin.

When we were there over thanksgiving and couldn't fish, we went to see an Erie Otters game. it was only $12 a ticket for seats right behind the penalty box and it was a good game. they broke a 16 game losing streak in overtime lol
    But I think all of their sunday games are away. might be something to do on saturday night.

As Bughawk suggested, the Tom Ridge center is free, and I picked up a brochure when we were there in August, it sounds like they have some pretty cool programs and events.
    http://www.trecpi.org/

I also like to check out the art museum and glass growers gallery when I have nothing else to do... so if she likes artsty stuff, there's that.

It depends on the weather, but if she can bundle him up in one of those carriers someone else mentioned, she could go for a walk.
    post edited by FisherChic - 2007/11/29 11:02:11
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 10:59:18 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the Tom Ridge Center  http://www.trecpi.org/  The exhibits are free, but I think you have to pay to see the movies. 

pax vobiscum +
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 13:39:46 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. That tom ridge center sounds interesting. Now heres the thing she doesnt want me fishing hours at a time. She said she wont mind me showing her some places letting me fish and take pics. letting linden get some air but not to much because it is to be cold. fish another spot. Go for lunch and maybe check out tom ridge center. then do a little more fishing and then go eat dinner and head home. I hope this weekend isnt as crazy with fisherman as last but who am I kidding its the weekend its always insane. Shes never been to erie and with a couple job opportunities Ive been offered a chance to move to the area and what to show her how beautiful an area(around fairview and girad) it is, and how much better it is then johnstown. She gets to read these post to so she gets a chuckle out of some of the post saying "shes setting you up" who knows maybe shell want try fishing for them next year. 

-Steve Rinella
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 13:40:43 (permalink)
    also if anyone wants to meet up let me know Ill be glad to introduce my family. 

-Steve Rinella
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 13:54:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

Now heres the thing she doesnt want me fishing hours at a time. 

That's where I'd get in trouble, Kyler.  If the fishing was bad, I'd want to fish just a little longer and make one more cast.  If the fishing were good, I wouldn't want to leave!

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:06:41 (permalink)
    lol u knew which point Ill end up getting across to her lol 

-Steve Rinella
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:19:24 (permalink)
    kRyler ur soo stuped duud
    yur fShing days ar ovR

fase the fakts dumas

ther iss bErth kontrol yu no

shood hav yuzed itt

I du
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:21:38 (permalink)
    lol and everyone on the board is thankful that you do. 

-Steve Rinella
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:21:57 (permalink)
    IMAO   Gee give the kid a break guru.
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:30:02 (permalink)
    nVr happin
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/29 14:42:18 (permalink)
    If she doesn't want you fishing hours at a time, you know it'll be torture for you!  

My wife is awesome about giving me time to hunt and fish, but there are times when she says, "Go ahead" when I know she doesn't really mean it.  I usually go anyway and end up paying for it later. 

Last weekend was great though.  We left the kids with some friends for 2 nights and spent all day Saturday and Sunday fishing in Erie.  She said, "Hey, if you're going to have an affair, I want to meet the other woman."  She met her, and I think she kinda likes her.  Had an awesome time together sharing something I love with her, and as much as I love fishing with my buddies, fishing again with her was even better.  Before we had kids, she'd always go hunting and fishing with me.  She's not addicted to it like I am, so we didn't fish from sunrise till sunset, but we put in about 6 hours each day. 

Then to top it all off, got to go hunting Monday (alone) but took her to her first Steeler's game Monday night.  Good stuff. 
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/30 08:46:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FisherChic

kyler, don't listen to these guys... you know your wife, and if she suggested you go fishing, then go fishing.
    Not all women like to go shopping.

My hubby will out fish me quite often, I sometimes get bored if I'm not catching anything after awhile, or my back starts to hurt, so I occupy myself by taking pictures or catching up on reading. I've sat in the car quite often while he kept fishing, and no, he doesn't ever pay for it later. I'd be more angry if he suggested I go shopping all day while he went fishin.

When we were there over thanksgiving and couldn't fish, we went to see an Erie Otters game. it was only $12 a ticket for seats right behind the penalty box and it was a good game. they broke a 16 game losing streak in overtime lol
    But I think all of their sunday games are away. might be something to do on saturday night.

As Bughawk suggested, the Tom Ridge center is free, and I picked up a brochure when we were there in August, it sounds like they have some pretty cool programs and events.
    http://www.trecpi.org/

I also like to check out the art museum and glass growers gallery when I have nothing else to do... so if she likes artsty stuff, there's that.

It depends on the weather, but if she can bundle him up in one of those carriers someone else mentioned, she could go for a walk.

Don't fall for it Kyler it's a trap!  RUN! RUN!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/30 10:02:13 (permalink)
    Here's the real setup. Why not take her shopping for new fishing gear....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/30 11:33:35 (permalink)
    yeah, why not?

I browse the sporting goods section of the store even if I'm not shopping with my husband.

you can think it's a trap, and say so all you want.
    I know I'm outnumbered here.
    But really, generalizations aren't cool.
    Not all women are the same.

FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/30 11:36:24 (permalink)
    kyler, I've been to Johnstown a handful of times, and I've been to Erie alot... I'd much rather live in Erie.
    We've considered moving to Erie, and still might someday.
    You or your wife can pm me, if she wants to chat some more.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Things to do with the family or a good area to fish 2007/11/30 12:33:25 (permalink)
    Count out visiting the Erie Zoo it is closed till March, 2008.
    The last open day for this year is today.
    Chris 

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: