steelhead in other streams besides the normal?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/27 14:36:20 (permalink)

steelhead in other streams besides the normal?

I know steelhead return to the stream there were born, but do they ever happen to run up somewhere else, like other creeks or streams going to the lake?  I thought i seen a video where a few ran up into what looked like a drainage ditch, only 3 feet wide maybe 10 inches deep. 

38 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 14:49:25 (permalink)
    Trans,

The Steelhead in Pa. are born in a hatchery, not a stream. They are stocked as smolts, and would tend to return to that stream, but not always. All of our tribs run out of the same watershed, and over basically the same geology. There are several unstocked streams in Pa. that see runs of fish. As well as N.Y. and Ohio fish running in Penna. and vicy versy.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 14:50:04 (permalink)
    I believe steelhead do run up other streams and tribs that they were not born in. I've seen fish in tribs that are 2ft wide that flow into the creeks.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 14:51:42 (permalink)
    is there any natural reproduction?  are other creeks and streams not usually mentioned worth exploring?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 14:53:15 (permalink)
    Very VERY little. And yes, sometimes.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 14:58:52 (permalink)
    whats the main reasoning why they do not reproduce?  fishermen? water quality? or just a mixture of everything?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 15:03:42 (permalink)
    Mostly the geologly of the stream bed. Water quality, and summer temps play a big part also. Keep in mind Steelhead are NOT native to the great lakes.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 15:17:09 (permalink)
    oh ya i forgot about that.  would you have any idea why i caught 6 inch brown in 20 mile the other day? how did it get there, spring stocking?
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 15:25:29 (permalink)
    A good book to purchase, that explains a lot about steelhead, is John Nagy's book. 
    It's called, "Steelhead Guide"  http://groups.msn.com/JohnNagySteelheadGuide/

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 15:51:02 (permalink)
    Even if the Steelhead eggs hatch the fry stay in the streams for a full year to attain size to survive in the lake,because the streams become too warm during the summer the young will not survive.There is next to no natural reproduction in Penna. Erie tribs,not familiar with Ny or Ohio to comment on them.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 16:25:21 (permalink)
    There have been reports of natural reproduction on some of the east
    side creeks, and I have caught a few smolts that had to be natives,
    but I think now that is almost non-existent.  The heavy rains in 2004 washed most of the smaller eastside creeks (even 16) down to the shale,
    and there is nothing for them to spawn in.  I suppose the creeks will
    eventually return to the way they were, but probably not in my lifetime.

Answer to second question.  Yes, but maybe not this year, because of lack of rain. Maybe in the spring.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 16:38:20 (permalink)
    what about the 6 inch brown, how did it get tehre?
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 16:48:51 (permalink)
    it might have swam up?
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 16:55:15 (permalink)
    Steelhead dont have to return to the same streams they were born in. Salmon run up the same streams they were born in. Theres not much natural reproduction in Erie.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 17:19:10 (permalink)
    Trans,

N.Y. puts stock Browns in their waters on 20 mile.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 17:52:34 (permalink)
    I think the NY fall stocking is fish that size.
    NY stocks their fis in the fall. 
    Chris
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 18:54:23 (permalink)
    TransAm,
         Steelhead, like most trout, need gravel creek bottoms with small stones about 1/4 > 1/2 inch around to build their redds in.  If such a place is found on the tribs (I have personally only seen 4 confirmed redds) it is few and far between.  The tribs are mostly shale bottoms with little or no rock cover to stop the flow of flood water.
         Remember after the eggs are laid they must fall to the bottom and fall down between the gravel and remain there with a constant flow of cool, well oxygenated, water untill they hatch and become fingerlings.  Since the tribs are subject to severe washing out of the creek bottoms there is hardly any stable gravel bottom for the eggs to hatch out in.
         Also as was stated earlier the temperature swings in the summer on most of the tribs is too extreme to support trout.  Therefore the cards are really stacked against natural reproduction.   Maybe someplace like the Little Elk or one or the smaller feeder streams would have good spawning areas but they are so small that the parent fish would also be subject to human and animal predation.  If someone reported that there were steelhead in a very small trib do you think that for one minute there wouldn't be 50 fishermen after them.  Jusy my 2 cents.  Hope the info helped answer your question.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 19:10:17 (permalink)
    so the browns are stocked in 20 mile by NY, is it possible those fish could become anadromous? 
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 19:13:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

but I think now that is almost non-existent.  The heavy rains in 2004 washed most of the smaller eastside creeks (even 16) down to the shale,

Answer to second question.  Yes, but maybe not this year, because of lack of rain. Maybe in the spring.

I caught a smolt the size of my index finger in October fishing a stream in Erie.....had to be a wild fish.

I agree that there is not allot of natural repro, but I have to believe there is some.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 19:36:30 (permalink)
    Krott

Steelhead will run up creeks that they were not born or stocked in.  Prime example being 6 mile creek.  The creek has not been stocked for many years, yet gets decent runs of steelhead every year.
    post edited by Livinfishin - 2007/11/27 19:37:41
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 19:40:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Speaking of 16-mile, I caught two out of there this past saturday that appeared to be native rainbows.  Both were in the 7 inch range.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 20:09:48 (permalink)
    NONE&YES
    Leftover smolts that were stuck in a pool!!!!!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 20:26:40 (permalink)
    The smolt I caught was half the size of any stocked smolt I've ever seen. 

What did it do??  Shrink since spring, and if a smolt can be "leftover" why can't a wild smolt be in the creek???

Not trying to argue, but I think there is more natural repro than people think some years.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/11/27 20:27:26

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 20:34:24 (permalink)

Last year I was walking a secondary tributary which does have a gravel bottom, not shale.  I saw a few "beds".   They were about 5-6" in diameter and full of small white eggs.  Is there a possibility that these were redds, or just sucker beds?   Also steelhead do frequent this secondary trib and are often paired up.

Mike   

Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 21:17:59 (permalink)
    I know it's not anything significant but we do get natural reproduction in Crooked.  Everybody makes it seem so rare to catch a fry.  Unfortunately catching one of these beautiful fish is too many but it's a amazing how big of piece of skein one of these little guys can get in their mouths.  Some days skein is the ticket for the steelies and the fry follow suit.  It's not uncommon to catch several a day.  Sunday I caught five.  I had said in the other post I would get some pictures.  I just mentioned this to my brothers today.  I can barely use a computer so they'll have to help me. 

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 21:37:24 (permalink)
    To pretty much repeat what everyone else said, steelhead will run up any ditch.  As long as there is enough water flowing into the lake, they will run it at sometime or another.  They will also traverse small feeder streams to tributaries, as long as they can get into them.

Anyone not seeing many redds is either A. not looking very hard, or B. Doesnt spend much time fishing in the late fall/winter/spring.  I've seen several dozen redds with fish paired up already this fall, if we get a warm up sometime soon expect to see alot of fish on the gravel.

There is some natural reproduction, but it's a very low percentage compared to the massive numbers stocked by the PFBC.  There are no NATIVE steelhead in PA, but there are some WILD steelhead.  There are pockets of good spawning gravel in the upper ends of the larger streams, as well as the smaller streams.  Steelhead have the best chance of reproducing in those areas, shale bottom areas just don't work.

-Tim
    steelheader87
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/27 22:15:01 (permalink)
    Nate and I caught several wild smolts in crooked last week 
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/28 09:18:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishrmn

To pretty much repeat what everyone else said, steelhead will run up any ditch.  As long as there is enough water flowing into the lake, they will run it at sometime or another.  They will also traverse small feeder streams to tributaries, as long as they can get into them.

Anyone not seeing many redds is either A. not looking very hard, or B. Doesnt spend much time fishing in the late fall/winter/spring.  I've seen several dozen redds with fish paired up already this fall, if we get a warm up sometime soon expect to see alot of fish on the gravel.

There is some natural reproduction, but it's a very low percentage compared to the massive numbers stocked by the PFBC.  There are no NATIVE steelhead in PA, but there are some WILD steelhead.  There are pockets of good spawning gravel in the upper ends of the larger streams, as well as the smaller streams.  Steelhead have the best chance of reproducing in those areas, shale bottom areas just don't work.

-Tim

Just this past weekend I witnessed a female digging a red with her tail, and the male right next to her on a pod of gravel, it does happen and there are definetly redds.  As far as tribs go, when the waters high do you think they know?  I did some exploring this weekend with great results on a small trickle trib to a bigger stream.  Fishrmn you know what im talking about, i went a decent ways up and wasn't dissapointed either, I think we found a goldmine...  I saw fish on the gravel and actually found some decent water, almost every single one dark and paired up. 
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/28 11:43:20 (permalink)
    there is some natural reproduction in a couple of the streams. my wife was in a biology class at gannon about 2 years ago and this was discussed by the professor who is involved with most of the biological studies in the area. can't remember his name of the top of my head though. any natural reproduction is usually in the very head waters of the streams. not in any of the lower areas. the very upper stretches of streams like elk and such have a much more gravel bottom. as far what stream they go up, the majority get up the same stream they are stocked in, but so many more wander to other streams. there are many streams that are prime examples of this. if there is running water and they can get in it, they will try and run it. unforunetly when somebody finds that there are fish in the smaller feeder streams those fish don't last long. i have seen it so many times.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: steelhead in other streams besides the normal? 2007/11/28 11:59:01 (permalink)
    I have heard that there maybe some natural reproduction in the streams and have caught small rainbows in Elk where they should not be.  I even caught a very tiny rainbow in Walnut this fall.  Something is going on in the tribs, but it will be hard to really sort out unless someone does a detailed study.  These small fish are coming from somewhere, but at this point it is not clear exactly.

I am also with those who would be very careful about fishing or encouraging people to fish the smaller feeder streams.  First they are small and often difficult to fish, but also if there is natural reproduction going on, I would hate to think some clod tramping up the stream stomped all over a redd.  Perhaps if natural reproduction is occuring, the Fish Commission should make all areas where reproduction is occuring nursery waters and ban fishing in those areas.  I am talking specifically about the small feeder streams here.

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: