Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/08 09:04:20 (permalink)

Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me

Committees examine privatization and commercialization of the state's streams
Sunday, April 08, 2007

By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Like waking up on the morning of a fishing trip and finding the water conditions have changed, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, Trout Unlimited and to some extent anglers at large are waking up to new conditions that are limiting their access to the water.

For years, real estate developers, private clubs and frustrated landowners have posted streamside properties. But it's been only a short time since the Commission and the Pennsylvania branch of the nationwide, cold-water advocacy group Trout Unlimited have convened committees to investigate the problem and work on solutions.

As anglers gear up for the traditional opening day of trout season Saturday, it's hard to tell whether they've lost or gained ground since last year. On the plus side, the Commission has acquired new properties in steelhead country, and the commercial fishing empire of the exclusive Spring Ridge Club has lost its court fight to keep nonmembers off 1.3 miles of the Little Juniata River. The club is appealing.

But across the commonwealth, no one knows how many streamside farms and back lots, where anglers were once welcomed, have fallen in the past year to developers. How many streamside landowners have picked up the last Styrofoam bait cup, snelled-hook packet and bird's nest of monofilament line from their backyards and said, "Enough"?

The Fish and Boat Commission recently reported that:
83 percent of stocked trout waters run through private property.
70 percent of waters containing wild trout are on privately held land.
59 percent of Class A wild trout waters are on private property.

"Access is becoming more of a focus for us," said Fish and Boat Commission spokesman Dan Tredinnick. "Historically, we've always considered these things on a case-by-case basis. But it's not just a local issue. As a general trend, we seem to be losing to the privatization or commercialization of land."

Since last year, the commission has used its Lake Erie Access Improvement Program in six land purchases totalling 67.4 acres and 12,120 linear feet of stream frontage. Some $555,000 from angler's Erie stamps was used to leverage $1.7 million from other sources. At the commission's quarterly meeting April 15-17, proposals will be made to acquire easements on two Erie area properties: 2,350 feet along Crooked Creek in Springfield Township, and a parcel along Walnut Creek about 1/3 mile south of the Walnut Creek Marina. Unlike purchases and leases, public access easements are permanently attached to the property.

As the access issue has heated up, some of the 12,000 members from 54 Pennsylvania chapters of Trout Unlimited have questioned the absence of a proactive policy on the matter. "That's a fair question," said state council vice-president Ed Bellis. "Speaking mainly from a Pennsylvania perspective ... most of our leadership at the state council level comes from areas that have good access to fishing, and I think we're late getting involved." Trout Unlimited recently formed a committee that will spend the next year conducting a poll to gauge member's concerns. State council president Ken Undercoffer said the group has been informally asked by the Fish Commission to look for properties ripe for acquisition and report back to the state. In some places, the effort will be too little too late.

As dropping water temperatures catch the attention of spring steelhead, anglers will be able to watch from the Route 5 bridge over Twentymile Creek as members of the private Spring Ridge Club, on leased property, catch and release fish that were stocked in a program funded by anglers' purchase of Erie stamps. "It's easy to see why people would be upset with the commercialization of public resources," Tredinnick said. Spring Ridge Club owner Donny Beaver points the blame back at the Fish Commission for its decision to stock, "knowing the stream was nonnavigable and the fish were going to migrate through every private property of the stream, ... knowing full well [the landowner] can control who wades and fishes there? Shame on them, not shame on me."

Beaver's high profile makes his the public face of the privatization issue. But the commercialization of Pennsylvania trout streams began with the first private fishing club more than 100 years ago. Spring Ridge is the most exclusive and vocal, but many clubs keep a lower profile. "[Beaver] is missing the point," said trout and steelhead guide John Nagy. "He's trying to exclude the public. The Fish Commission is trying to work with the landowners. We should be doing everything we can to make the tribs open to the public. If we can't, we should cut back on the stocking program. Why should Donny Beaver benefit?"

In central Pennsylvania, a few miles upstream from Beaver's holdings along Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata, Spruce Creek Fly Co. owner Eric Stroup says the absence of public oversight on commercialized waters leads to overstocking and what he terms the "pollution" of in-stream feeding. Beaver says the trout in his waters grow large because of his club's catch-and-release policy, but his neighbor Stroup argues that while boosting the angling quality on private portions of streams, property owners and private clubs, including the Spring Ridge Club and the Spruce Creek Rod & Gun Club, are damaging their own waters and spreading the contamination downstream.

"After they stock, they feed them every day," Stroup said. "Fish pellets. Those fish will get as big as you want them. The problem is, protein from the feed is horrible for the steam. All the feed is really bad for bug life, too, [and] the effluent from an unnaturally large number of very large fish is 10 times what it should be. It's not only in their sections of the stream, it washes down. It's a bad thing."

While the Fish Commission, Trout Unlimited and others search for ways to slow commercialization and keep fishing a public enterprise, anglers can help by doing a few easy things when they get on the water Saturday. "Before you go onto someone's property, ask permission," said Bellis. "Even if it's not posted, make some connections." "Don't leave worm cans behind or urinate in somebody's yard," Undercoffer said. "Join a conservancy or TU, and talk about this problem with other fishermen. Let them know we can do something about it." "Don't litter," said Nagy. "Close a gate behind you. Some people think when you go fishing you have to drink alcohol. These are some of the people who cause some of these problems." "People think fishing is a right in Pennsylvania," Tredinnick said. "It's a privilege that, more often than not, is granted by a private property owner. Individual acts of angler responsibility go much farther than anything we could ever do as a government organization."
post edited by FlashDance - 2007/04/08 09:09:37

55 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:23:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this today.  We should get t-shirts printed up with his face and his greatest quote yet. 

"Shame on them, not shame on me."  Indeed!

Anyone have an idea as to why his photo doesn't show up here?

http://www.palandowners.org/boardmember.donny.beaver.asp

Seems these guys don't like him either...

http://troutunderground.com/2007/03/15/the-helium-report-interviews-spring-ridge-clubs-donny-beaver-neglects-to-mention-hes-a-jerk/

I can't understand why I can't find a decent photo of the man's face....
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/04/08 11:24:01
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:44:35 (permalink)
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:45:55 (permalink)
    That statement is about right from someone who thinks exploitation of a state agency and commonwealth citizens is an ethical business.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:46:59 (permalink)
    come on...  we need better than that one.  besides, that was the shot used for the "Purina" ad.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Unbelievable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:50:29 (permalink)
    We lost about 2 miles of Oil Creek here in my area in the last year. Land owners leasing their ground for hunting but it is getting posted no trespassing so no fishing either. Lost a piece of the creek I've fished for 35 years doubt I'll get to take my son there.. Bummer..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:54:04 (permalink)
    so thats what a smiling turd looks like.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 11:58:41 (permalink)
    I guess folks need someone to focus their anger on. Granted his practices are unethical ( in terms of sportsmenship ), and motivated by greed. But the guy ****ing in the bushes behind you, or parked in front of someones mailbox, is a bigger threat to access than Donny Beaver.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 13:11:12 (permalink)
    I find it odd that Eric Stroup has anti-SRC quotes since he is supposedly connected with them.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 13:14:48 (permalink)
    Eric Stroup is the biggest bull****ter in the world. He speaks in that article as if he has no ties with Donny. His company guides for SRC. What a joke.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/08 13:18:06 (permalink)
    Spoon...hit the nail right on the head, we are losing land for ourselves...The Beav is just cashing in,

Not that I agree with it, but its the sad truth.

carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 17:30:50 (permalink)
    i don't understand this. while it is true that we must continue our efforts to educate anglers on the ethics of stream fishing, we cannot ignore what donny beaver is doing.....

the section of stream that beaver now leases on elk was posted but fishing was granted by permission to anyone willing to take the time to do so. many ethical fishermen that i know of took the time to talk with this landowner and treated his land with the utmost respect. this is NOT why access to that land was lost to fishermen. the landowner was offered a deal he couldn't refuse.... a deal that included him NOT allowing any anglers (with permission) to fish his land... this was in the contract with beaver. exclusive rights to the land for his clients.

i agree we need to focus on other reasons why access to land is lost, but we cannot simply ignore the access being taken away only due to $$$$

p.s. i do not blame the landowner in this case. it was simply too good to pass up. what would you do if someone offered you a ton of money to use your land for fishing?

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 18:51:31 (permalink)
    What burns me up about this guy is that he flys the conservation banner, when in fact, his practices are the exact opposite.
    I offer the water quality on the Little J as exhibit 1.
    The changing of Spruce Creek as exhibit 2.
    Yellow Creek and the fish that will hit the dog food fly, exhibit 3.
    But he's a conservationist.

To be honest, if he wants to lease land and fish for the fish that are there, then I've got no problem.

However, the 20th century taught us that destroying the environment in the name of "progress" is a bad idea.
    We've been righting the wrongs and now we have cleaner rivers and streams.

It appears that this guy feels that because he leases the land, he can throw whatever he wishes
    in the water and the hell with the people downstream.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 21:26:09 (permalink)
    Interesting point Flash..... I wonder if his practices violate the clean streams law. Just because you own or lease the land doesn't exclude you from state regulations.  

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of his "feeding" practices can e-mail a local PADEP office with the information, and see what if any violations exist.

www.dep.state.pa.us

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/watersupply/cwp/view.asp?a=3&Q=495897&watersupplyNav=|30536|&watersupplyNav=|
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/04/09 21:33:56

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 21:31:45 (permalink)
    I don't know if Beaver feeds any fish on yellow creek or not. I'm told he does on the other streams.   There is a guy that feeds the fish on yellow creek, but it's not Beaver.  It's a guy that keeps the stream open to fishing.  Not an automatic feeder either, he just comes out and tosses a cup full of dog food in. The fish go nuts and it's all devoured withing 10 seconds. Not sure what, if any impact something like that would have on the stream. I can't imagine much.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 21:38:10 (permalink)
    I know you are not allowed to put anything in Commonwealth waters...even a cup of milk violates the clean streams law. Now that being said I'm sure the impact of one cup of food is minimal, but tuning on a feeder on throwing buckets full of food will definitely increase the nutrient load in a stream and can be detrimental to aquatic life.

crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 22:01:44 (permalink)
    By feeding you can keep more fish than the streams natural  carrying capacity.  The excess fish excessively fed produce more waste.  There is bacteria in the stream that eats the waste.  The bacteria can not handle all of the waste and this pollutes the water.

Just curious why they can't just declare the posted land nursery waters and completely close it.  Sounds simple, but I don't know the laws.

Rainbow1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 22:24:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carpitiss

i don't understand this. while it is true that we must continue our efforts to educate anglers on the ethics of stream fishing, we cannot ignore what donny beaver is doing.....

the section of stream that beaver now leases on elk was posted but fishing was granted by permission to anyone willing to take the time to do so. many ethical fishermen that i know of took the time to talk with this landowner and treated his land with the utmost respect. this is NOT why access to that land was lost to fishermen. the landowner was offered a deal he couldn't refuse.... a deal that included him NOT allowing any anglers (with permission) to fish his land... this was in the contract with beaver. exclusive rights to the land for his clients.

i agree we need to focus on other reasons why access to land is lost, but we cannot simply ignore the access being taken away only due to $$$$

p.s. i do not blame the landowner in this case. it was simply too good to pass up. what would you do if someone offered you a ton of money to use your land for fishing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elk lease $30,000 for 3 years, and 20 mile for $5000, I think the land owners got ripped off. Logan's charging One day of guided private access steelhead fishing for one or two anglers - $895.
    SRC-
    December — January — February SPECIAL
    For Members and Guests!
    PRIVATE STEELHEAD ACCESS
    Members = $495 per guide day (2-on-1) + $100 per rod

SRC
    "OUTFITTER STRATEGY
    OUTLINED
    As all of you may already know, there remains a lot of controversy about
    private property rights as they relate to fly-fishing. In particular, there has
    been some animosity directed toward the Club and to me personally over
    the years. We have found that the best tradeshow protocol is the “Trojan
    Horse” approach . . . in other words, have the Club blend into someone
    else’s booth. In the past we have done in this in two ways:
    • During the first two years of the Club, we also owned an outfitting
    business called “Angling Fantasies.” AF offered day trips and
    guide services to private waters, and the general fly-fishing public
    seemed to LOVE the idea that they could gain access to
    hallowed” private waters. It was very successful. At the trade
    shows, we would keep Club materials under the table in case
    someone fit the “club profile.” However, the outfitting business
    was out front.
    • For a couple of shows, we also became a sub-set of the
    Frontiers Travel booth, which worked the same way.
    Three years ago, we dropped the “outfitting angle” and decided that people
    had to join the Club or not fish with us. Well, that really brought out the
    worst in the “public.” They’d say, “You’re the greedy SOBs who charge
    $80,000 to join and keep us poor working slobs off the water.” So, for the
    past few years, we just stayed away from trade shows completely.
    However, we discovered that ever since we dropped the outfitting “front
    end” of the business, our membership recruitment pace has not grown as
    well as we had planned. It seems as if there is this huge perceptual leap of
    faith from “zero to $85,000.” On the other hand, we have tested a couple
    of important things in the past twelve months.
    • Revive the outfitting business in the East — In 2004 and 2005,
    we began to acquire private water MUCH faster than we could
    recruit new members. As a matter of fact, we have about ten miles
    of water lying “fallow” right now and another ten miles of water
    that is grossly under-utilized by Club members. For the past
    twelve months, we have been experimenting with controlled
    outfitting on our “emerging” waters (Spring Farm, Willows, Eddie’s
    Stretch, etc.). The name of this business is Sporting Club
    Exchange, what we’re now calling Logan Outfitters, and we limit
    access to the underutilized stretches on a strictly controlled
    basis. This has helped the Club in significant ways:
    —We have brought in nearly $100,000 in new revenues, which
    help to underwrite these fallow properties.
    —We have recruited two new members who would not have
    joined if not given the chance to fish for three or four days.
    • Partner with Gorsuch Outfitters in Colorado — This year we also
    realized that actively working with an outfitter who handles highend
    clients could help significantly with Club recruitment. We
    anticipate attracting at least 25 new Club members to the
    Colorado Club in 2007, thanks to this relationship.
    To make a long story short, we have decided to make Gorsuch and Logan
    Outfitters the “face” of our trade show booths for 2007 (in Denver,
    Somerset, New Jersey, and Marlboro, Massachusetts).
    The “inner sanctum” in the back of each booth will be our “Club headquarters”
    at the shows. It will be closed off from the general public and be open
    by invitation only to potential Club members. We will be running our DVD
    on a loop, we have Club literature available, and we will have a scrapbook
    of photos available for viewing. This is also where we can use your help. If
    we do have people come into the Club Room, it will be most helpful if a
    current member is available for conversation by potential members.
    We see the “front of the booth” as this busy, active, bustling outfitter face
    and the “back of the booth” as a quiet sanctuary where we can discuss the
    Club concept with folks in privacy.
    IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER:
    —Outfitter customers do NOT fish our Legacy waters; only
    those stretches of under-utilized or emerging waters not
    typically fished by members.
    —Members will not ever be bumped from any stretch of water
    and will have first preference on Logan-specified waters if
    they wish to fish them.
    —This income helps the Club and our members, not only
    because it pays for improving fallow waters and underutilized
    properties, but also will keep fees down.
    —The outfitters businesses will serve as “conduits” for new
    potential members to enter our sales pipeline." Src the call

'
    post edited by Rainbow1 - 2007/04/09 22:26:21
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/09 22:34:03 (permalink)
    Boy, this guy is a snake.

I thought only drug dealers and the mob needed "fronts" for there business

Rtom45
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 08:54:01 (permalink)
    Maybe its time to pressure our legislators to change the law.  All waterways to the normal high water mark should become the property of the state.  Anglers would have access thru public locations, not thru private property.  Once at the stream you are free to move within the high water mark along the stream.  If I'm not mistaken, this is already law in some other states.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 10:16:18 (permalink)
    I would like to hope that pushing for this sort of legislation will not be necessary.  The erosion of freedoms and certain rights in this country is getting out of hand. 

I am not sure we would be able to control the snowball once it gets rolling.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 10:42:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rtom45

Maybe its time to pressure our legislators to change the law.  All waterways to the normal high water mark should become the property of the state.  Anglers would have access thru public locations, not thru private property.  Once at the stream you are free to move within the high water mark along the stream.  If I'm not mistaken, this is already law in some other states.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 14:15:06 (permalink)
    Tippy

I believe all the relative agencies are aware of his practices. I believe that both the PF&BC, and the DCNR have the authority to stop such practices arbitrarilly. I suspect, however that they are compiling the scientific data to support such action to ENSURE that it would hold up in court. It is generally best to act, rather than re-act.

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Interesting point Flash..... I wonder if his practices violate the clean streams law. Just because you own or lease the land doesn't exclude you from state regulations.  

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of his "feeding" practices can e-mail a local PADEP office with the information, and see what if any violations exist.

www.dep.state.pa.us

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/watersupply/cwp/view.asp?a=3&Q=495897&watersupplyNav=|30536|&watersupplyNav=|

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Side Pressure
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 17:12:59 (permalink)
    Hmmm
    NavyGuy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 17:43:41 (permalink)

I like that "property of the state" idea.
    Are we (the state) going to buy this private property or shall we just seize it "for the good of many".
    Why stop at the high water mark. Let's take 10 feet above so we always have a clear path to walk on.
    This idea is quite different from the priciples what I fought and served my country to protect buthey,  as I grow older I am more inclined to look to other people to support me.
    NavyGuy
    NavyGuy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 17:50:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FlashDance

However, the 20th century taught us that destroying the environment in the name of "progress" is a bad idea.
    We've been righting the wrongs and now we have cleaner rivers and streams.

It appears that this guy feels that because he leases the land, he can throw whatever he wishes
    in the water and the hell with the people downstream.

Wow. And stocking 10s of thousands steelhead in the Erie streams has not destroyed that environment?  Well, if not destroyed, then drastically altered. And slamming 8-12 lb Steelhead is definetly "progress" over a 8 - 12 ince brookie.
    NavyGuy
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 19:38:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: NavyGuy

I like that "property of the state" idea.
    Are we (the state) going to buy this private property or shall we just seize it "for the good of many".
    Why stop at the high water mark. Let's take 10 feet above so we always have a clear path to walk on.
    This idea is quite different from the priciples what I fought and served my country to protect buthey,  as I grow older I am more inclined to look to other people to support me.
    NavyGuy

Navy, first of all thank you for your service.

The principles you fought for...were they for everyone?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting taking land off of landowners, just having the waters of the Commonwealth be fishable to all, and not just the few who can pay a premium for that right. 

peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 20:15:42 (permalink)
    you know wendys fast food place he lives off his wife she owns it all .
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 20:18:36 (permalink)
    WOW, off the Meds again... LOL 

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Unbelieveable statement: Shame on them, not shame on me 2007/04/10 21:01:31 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          I always love these spirited debates.  The question I have is what is the difference between a Commonwealth  and a State.  Look closely at the "charter" for a Commonwealth and see what the commonwealth holds in "common" for all the residents as opposed to states.  If PA was to adhere to the principles of a Commonwealth I believe this argument would not even have to exist.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: