Stream Etiquette

Author
1FishWorkFish2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/27 08:39:25 (permalink)

Stream Etiquette

Just a quick question for the board regarding stream etiquette. I went steelhead fishing for the first time ever this past weekend. My folks live just across the road from 16 mile and we were there for the holiday weekend. I hooked about 6 fish over the two days fished and landed 3. I hooked into a sizeable fish on 16 mile, probably in the 8lbs+ range, fought him for about 10 minutes before a couple of guys spin fishing about 15 feet upstream of my started breakin my balls about fighting him too long and to just "get 'em in". I felt embarrassed and thought maybe I was crossing a boundary with them and didn't know better since it was my second day ever. So I tried to muscle the fish and get his head turned downstream in hopes of playing him more in my immediate section of water and at that point my tippet snapped. I was really dissapointed. I felt like it would be one thing if I fished all the time but this was my first time and I probably wont be back till next year. Was I playing the fish too long or were these guys just being rude? Be honest, I'm a big boy and if I was in the wrong I will just know better next time. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

16 Replies Related Threads

Hot Shot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 08:50:59 (permalink)
    I'm going to say that they were just being rude and mabye even jealous. I've been going up there for a long time now and every now and then you run into people like that. Don't worry about them.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 09:26:50 (permalink)
    First of all whats to long? Second what lb. tippet or line were you using? I know I like to get them in as soon as I can and I have lost a few. I have been using 8 & 10 lb. floro. with my 9ft. fly rod this year and have had good luck. I learned to check my tippet after every fish for being frayed. If I find anything that doesn't feel right off it comes and a new one goes on. Thats the weakest link between you and the fish so you need a good tippet and good knots.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 11:28:45 (permalink)
    I have waited for a while for guys with 30 lb test line to drag in a snagged fish, so if I choose to use 4 lb so I can actually fool a fish into eating my presentation they can wait for me.

They were definately being rude, I could see if you obviously had the fish foul hooked then you should have tried to pull the hook out or break off.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 11:51:42 (permalink)
    Ten minutes (really) is a long time to have a steelhead on.  You'll learn to get them in quicker with the more you catch.  It certainly doesn't give someone a reason to be a jackoff.  Don't pay attention to them.  Most people should be willing to help and coach you thru it.  Don't be afraid to use side pressure, backing up while pumping the rod if need be.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 12:59:13 (permalink)
    was it really 10 minutes?, when you have a fish on 2 min feels like 10 but if you really had it on for 10, thats prob too long, if i had one on for a few min and the guys said that to me, i would be in their face about it
    1FishWorkFish2
    New Angler
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 15:25:52 (permalink)
    i was using 4x flouro for tippet on a 9 ft. 8 wt. rod. I know i could have used some side pressure, im new to steelheading not flyfishing, but i just could not get him to turn his head out of the current. Better luck next time!!! I was just ****ed, because like I said before its not like i do this every weekend and I would have ample opportunity in the future to hook a sizeable fish. Thanks for comments, nice to know I wasnt in the wrong.
    1FishWorkFish2
    New Angler
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 15:26:42 (permalink)
    In all honesty it was probably closer to 5 min. But thanks for the encouraging words regardless.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 17:49:18 (permalink)
    The streams are there for everybody. If you got a liscense and fair hook the fish you can play it any way you want. You are there to fish and enjoy yourself. If I don't like the way people are fishing around me I move. They could do the same. Everyone up there has there own way, If you keep it someone will complain, if it breaks off they complain about leavin jewelry on the fish, if you net it with the wrong net someone will complain, hell even if you release it someone will have something to say about it. I would'nt deliberately continue to play the fish if not necessary, but whatever it takes who cares, You paid , your legal, tuff crap for those guys. Glad you enjoyed yourself not everybody acts that way.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 18:28:17 (permalink)
    If they are PLAYING the fish it doesn't bother me at all ( h@ll the fight is what we're there for ). It's the guys who insist on using 2-4 lb. line when the conditions don't warrant it, then allow a fish to just hang in the current refusing to put ANY pressure on them that bug me. Not enough to say anything ( to each his own ), but you ain't ever gonna wear that fish down. He's just smiling, and hanging out.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/27 19:18:11 (permalink)
    I say fish however you want just so its Legal

On a recent trip to one of the East Side streams  I watched a guy fight a fish for about 20 minutes  ..  I didn't mind it gave me a break   Finally he said  How about a net fellas I know when I'm whipped  LOL  One of the guys I was fishing with netted the fish ..  The guy put it on his stringer #3  Left the hole to us and said  Have fun fellas.......

To each his own......

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/11/28 18:38:38 (permalink)
    I like to fool them with 8 mono and good drifts.
    Okuma_Slv_Fan
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/12/03 23:35:42 (permalink)
    The past weekend was my first time fishing for steelies... me and a buddy of mine fished right at the elk access.... we arrived shortly after 10 am sunday and were on our way out a little after noon... I feel the fight is great and was very enjoyable to have a fish like that on the end of my line.... Our two largest catchs were 27 and 30 inchers
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/12/06 11:28:10 (permalink)
    I fished next to a guy that had a nice fish on and was fighting it for a while. I didn't say anything to him until the fish was hanging out in the fast water about 40 yards down from him. After he sat there for a while just holding on to the rod, I told him that he would have a better chance of landing the fish if he would move down from the fish and give him some side pressure. After he did that, the fish came in quickly. After that, I found out that this was his first steelhead EVER. He was pretty excited, and I NEVER got rude with him.

I guess my point is this...If someone is having trouble landing a fish, your advice should be offered, but by being rude about it is just rediculous.

I have had plenty of big fish in the early part of the season give me a run for my money. Don't let anyone else tell you how long you should fight a fish. It's yours to fight, not theirs. Next time just take your time and enjoy the experiance. For me, the hook up is all I want. I like when they get off after a couple of jumps or runs. My hands stay dry/warm longer..lol

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/12/06 14:49:49 (permalink)
    I always offer to net a fish for someone if they're struggling. Those guys were being total toolbags. Ignore them, they didn't have an 8lb fish hooked did they? Just ignore and smile.
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/12/06 15:53:07 (permalink)
    It didn't make a difference if it was 5 or 10 minutes...You have every right to enjoy the experience of fighting that fish (especially your first time) unfortunately the only memory you have now is about the BS you encountered while doing so. I use a 7wt sometimes 8wt 4lb to 8lb tippet depends on my mood, my foundest memorys are fighting and landing a nice steely.. time is never a factor! its about the enjoyment of the moment!

think about that untill the next time your able to do it again and never let anyone dictate what to do........unless its usefull information and helps you become a better fisherman.

F**K THOSE A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!
    1FishWorkFish2
    New Angler
    RE: Stream Etiquette 2007/12/11 10:08:05 (permalink)
    Fellas, thanks for all the words of encouragement. It's nice to know that I wasnt in the wrong and that there are so many sporting gentlemen out there that adhere to a silent code of ethics on the stream. I too am sorry that a couple of guys had to spoil that fight, but overall I had a great experience and am defintely hooked. I have already put in for an entire week off next fall and will be bringing my buddy along to share in the fun. It will be his first time as well. Thanks again for everything and look forward to seeing you guys on the water next fall. I know I wont bust chops for anyone playing a fish....
    Jump to: