Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/01 19:25:51 (permalink)

Cop kills Bear in Tree

Why are cops blasting bears out of trees ? Where is the game agency in Pa? Is a bear in a tree really a threat and can't wait for the PGC to arrive with a dart? Waste of wildlife, waste of tax dollars and a waste on the PGC's part.

http://www.wtae.com/news/29014136/detail.html

32 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 20:15:36 (permalink)
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/01 20:17:09
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 20:27:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Why are cops blasting bears out of trees ? Where is the game agency in Pa? Is a bear in a tree really a threat and can't wait for the PGC to arrive with a dart? Waste of wildlife, waste of tax dollars and a waste on the PGC's part.

http://www.wtae.com/news/29014136/detail.html

Just how is it a waste on the Game Commission’s part?

R.S. Bodenhorn
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 20:39:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

R.S. Bodenhorn

While police waited for a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer to arrive with a tranquilizer gun, they determined that the bear was endangering people and they shot it in a woman's backyard.

Too **** slow!
    Them bears up a tree really pose a grave danger to all the peeps under the tree sportin' marshmallows. I imagine the bear smelled doughnuts on the cops breath and all hell coulda broke loose.
    These are the same cops "trained" to make life and death decisions during the stress of "combat" situations. Thank God for the 2nd Amandment!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 21:05:44 (permalink)
    we have seen this story before....

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 22:11:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tull66

R.S. Bodenhorn

While police waited for a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer to arrive with a tranquilizer gun, they determined that the bear was endangering people and they shot it in a woman's backyard.

Too **** slow!
    Them bears up a tree really pose a grave danger to all the peeps under the tree sportin' marshmallows. I imagine the bear smelled doughnuts on the cops breath and all hell coulda broke loose.
    These are the same cops "trained" to make life and death decisions during the stress of "combat" situations. Thank God for the 2nd Amandment!

WCOS generally have between 300 and 500 square miles of district and some have even more than that. If I am at one end of my district and get a call to the other end it will take me over an hour in response time even if I have clear roads and a heavy foot.

Plus as I understand it the WCO for that area was assisting at a Regional training session at the time the call came in. He left immediately and was traveling as fast as safely possible to get there. The Police Officers felt the need to kill the bear before he got there.

I fail to see how that is the fault of the Game Commission. If you want more WCO out there, so they don’t have to travel so far and have a faster response time, in such situations then you should be demanding that the Governor increase the number of employees the Game Commission is allowed and then getting behind a significant license fee increase to pay for more WCOs.

But, I bet you wouldn’t do that and all you really want to do is lay blame where even you should know it doesn’t belong.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/01 23:25:36 (permalink)
    I don't have all of the facts, but if they shot the bear while he was in a tree, I would have to question their actions.  Was it in the tree when they shot it or was it on the ground?  Big difference IMO. 

Can't really blame the GC or the WCO's that where called.  They arrived after the fact even though it took them some time to get there.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 00:19:22 (permalink)
    The big question is:
    Were any of the people up in the tree in immanent danger? 

No question a citizen would be arrested- but how long would he be in jail?

If a Hollywood lawyer took the case would he use the castle doctrine as a defense

I hope no animals are harmed when they make this into a movie.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2011/09/02 00:21:44

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 01:07:59 (permalink)
    ya i bet the cop feels like a hero now shooting a treed bear guess he fishes in a barrel as well, what a shame and we let people like that carry a gun
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 01:32:05 (permalink)
    OK let's see now. A resident tax payer can't protect their self or personal property against bears with out being cited but a cop can make a decision to kill without a game agency Representative present. What are the duties of a Game Commission deputy ? They seem to have plenty of them. Why can't they perform duties or stand by until a WCO arrives? And don't give that excuse that there isn't any nearby. The bear killed was reported several times before it was slaughtered in Uniontown.

More on the story. Cop said that little children look like a squirrel to a bear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031683/He-liked-pasta-Bear-shot-near-crowded-Italian-food-festival-Pennsylvania.html
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/09/02 01:37:31
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 02:35:15 (permalink)
    3 WCO's in Fayette Co not counting all the deputies. You don't need to try and feed me any more BS.

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/columnists/game-commission-assigns-new-wcos-to-fayette/article_fe7ba30a-4667-543d-9dad-942a3cf4b1a7.html
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 06:27:45 (permalink)

But, I bet you wouldn’t do that and all you really want to do is lay blame where even you should know it doesn’t belong.

R.S. Bodenhorn  

Blowyourhorn, Lighten up. In your haste to protect the PGC, you missed my sarcasm about the PGC being slow getting there.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 07:34:10 (permalink)
    Rediculous all the way around!!!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 11:37:33 (permalink)
    For crissake, it was a bear. There are a ton of them these days (too many for the amount of people but human population control isn't too PC these days). Yeah, it could have turned out better but man, some of you guys will take any opportunity to bash the PGC when they had NOTHING to do with the outcome of this incident.

If the LEO thought the bear needed to be put down, then so be it. This bear has been around there before and if attempts to scare it off weren't working, then problems were going to happen in the future, no matter what.

I do agree, if it was treed, the risk at that moment was probably minimal but maybe it was starting to come back down the tree or maybe the officer didn't want to risk the bear being chased towards the festival and took his opportunity at a stationary target rather then trying to pop a cap in a running bear in a urban/suburban environment.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 14:16:32 (permalink)
    This bear has been around there before and if attempts to scare it off weren't working, then problems were going to happen in the future, no matter what.

You think that maybe.. well nevermind ! It was best that the bear was shot and killed before it went and ate up all the small children thinking they were squirrels. A children eating bear and nothing done prior to killing it make some wonder ????????
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 14:42:04 (permalink)
    I'd like to see an apex predator re-introduction program in the urban slums. Wolves in Wilkinsburg, Tigers in Homewood, Alligators in East Carnegie. Make the welfare loafers work for their money.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 16:05:23 (permalink)
    For crissake, it was a bear. There are a ton of them these days (too many for the amount of people but human population control isn't too PC these days). Yeah, it could have turned out better

Why even trap a nuisance bear then ? There are too many already. Just kill them and problem solved right? Maybe understanding bears would be a better approach. A treed bear is no threat to anyone except a person who doesn't know a squirrel from a young child. The bear had been there before so it wasn't like it caught L/E or the PGC by surprise.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/09/02 16:14:14
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 16:34:54 (permalink)
       Remember hunting back up in Maine when they stopped knocking out nuisance Bears and had to start putting them down. There had become so many nuisance complaints it was considered  a waste to  have them do the same thing all over again someplace else after bein moved.
       Would like to know it this bear had 'been around' for a while before passing any judgement. Just cause it got scared and treed dont mean it wasnt a PITA before and wasnt gonna be one again.
       On the flip side somebody coulda got all scarey and shot it cause they were Urbies who didnt know squat bout Bears or other wild stuff. Cept that the ones in the movin pictures can talk. Urbies LOOOOVVVVVE all the little creatures till they actually see one - then they go nuts.
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 16:40:09 (permalink)
    If any one of us would have shot that bear in that very same situation (in a tree), it would've been our ****.  A LEO does it and nobody questions his actions.

Wonder if that cop is going to have a rug made at the taxi?  lol
    post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/09/02 16:42:57
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 17:23:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Remember hunting back up in Maine when they stopped knocking out nuisance Bears and had to start putting them down. There had become so many nuisance complaints it was considered  a waste to  have them do the same thing all over again someplace else after bein moved.
      Would like to know it this bear had 'been around' for a while before passing any judgement. Just cause it got scared and treed dont mean it wasnt a PITA before and wasnt gonna be one again.
      On the flip side somebody coulda got all scarey and shot it cause they were Urbies who didnt know squat bout Bears or other wild stuff. Cept that the ones in the movin pictures can talk. Urbies LOOOOVVVVVE all the little creatures till they actually see one - then they go nuts.

Unointown is not an URBIE by a long shot . Look it up on google earth.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 17:32:25 (permalink)
    The two towns closest to me have bear in trees all the time. Usually someones dog runs them up after hearing them in the garbage. Sometimes they dart them but usually the LEOS or WCO's just keep folks back far enough to let the bear come down and try to steer them towards the woods. I've never heard of one being shot. Every situation is different I suppose and folks not experienced in dealing with them might get a bit nervous.
    The city folks think it's fine to have lots of wolves,yotes, blacks and grizzly running around your back yard. Not so much when it's theirs.
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/09/02 17:33:14
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 17:59:41 (permalink)
    My parents are visited by a black bear on a regular basis.

Dad took the intelligent approach and kept garbage in basement till garbage night then put it out. That night is a buffet in the neighborhood with all of the cans out front

Neighbors bird feeder is on his dining list also-they took the radical approach of not filling it.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 18:42:31 (permalink)
    I have had many many encounters with black bears over the years. Not once have I ever felt threatened.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 20:37:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

This bear has been around there before and if attempts to scare it off weren't working, then problems were going to happen in the future, no matter what.

Now you did drag the PGC into it. Why not trap and transfer a known problem bear? Especially if the bear was a problem "going to happen in the future, no matter what".

tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 20:39:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I'd like to see an apex predator re-introduction program in the urban slums. Wolves in Wilkinsburg, Tigers in Homewood, Alligators in East Carnegie. Make the welfare loafers work for their money.

We introduced one on this here website and you tucked tail and hid under a rock begging I didn't reply to your posts.

tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 20:41:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

A treed bear is no threat to anyone except a person who doesn't know a squirrel from a young child.

I just needed to see that in print again...good stuff right there.

tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 20:45:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

If any one of us would have shot that bear in that very same situation (in a tree), it would've been our ****.  A LEO does it and nobody questions his actions.

1st part, very true and painfully so.
    2nd part, there are plenty questioning his actions right here.
    I noticed RSB didn't defend the cops actions, just the PGC getting wrongfully blamed.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 20:55:38 (permalink)
       If I had one in ona my trees here in Ct I'd be a happy camper. They are round here but not seen too much - I like Bears.
      We were bringin in some young dogs to a treed bear once and I had to whack its butt with a leash to send it back up till they got there for the tree experience. He was tryin to get down.
       Never forget the look he gave me either. He pooped and I got the heck away from that tree.
      The pups had a ball barkin their first treed bear though. Then we just backed off like we mostly do and off he went.  Fun day.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/02 21:23:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy
    He pooped and I got the heck away from that tree.

I guess that question has been answered. Is the pope Catholic?

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cop kills Bear in Tree 2011/09/03 00:57:10 (permalink)
    Sounds like Bozo the Bear story all over again...
    ORIGINAL: tull66

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Now you did drag the PGC into it. Why not trap and transfer a known problem bear? Especially if the bear was a problem "going to happen in the future, no matter what".

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: