tell me about steelhead

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
steelstalker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
  • Reward points: 0
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 18:53:35 (permalink)
Well, I'm sorry but you're going to have to make a new word to limit steelhead to being Oncorhynchus mykiss that migrate from salt to freshwater so that the poor steelhead know better. They're not real smart animals, I love them but they're not smart, and as far as they know they are fully complying to the literal translation of anadromous. You would think that if salt was actually an important part of the lifecycle of these fish that it would be included in the term that is used to describe them. Hmm... must not be that important because it's not there. You can say whatever you want but Great Lakes Steelhead fully comply to the literal translation of the word anadromous, which makes you wrong. It sucks to be wrong but at some point you're going to have to face the facts. It's OK, we forgive you.
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 19:00:08 (permalink)
Just curious so I gotta ask.

What would happen if in March, the state traded a bunch of smolts from
our "mutt" Great Lakes steelhead with a hatchery in North Carolina and
then stocked the North Carolina rainbows in the tribs instead of the smolts.

Would they run out into the lake?
steelstalker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 19:32:46 (permalink)
Sure they would when stream conditions in late spring could no longer support their life in the tribs but there's no telling what would return.
post edited by steelstalker - 2007/11/29 19:34:00
gfly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 20:19:33 (permalink)
I can tell you what would return. They would be a bunch of redneck steelheads that only hit on copenhagen or natural light sented sucker spawn.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 20:28:04 (permalink)
welp, Mr Pa1000, have you been taking notes??

You see, you not only got a very fine lesson about steelies
but you also got lesson in the fine art of discussing  semantics

along the way, we also discover   a few of us enjoy Young gOOroo's posting style and have plagiarized it for our own grins and tickles.
That  suggests to me, that gOOroo has become a Fisherie STAR.
By virtue of his now legendary  status,
he has been officially inducted into the Big Boys Club of Fisherie

..L.T.A.

Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 20:33:30 (permalink)
shees kNot a StAr duUd,  sHEes a HAeroe
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 21:03:02 (permalink)
stalker...
you have yet to prove me wrong...
which point below do you not agree with???

1a--a steelhead is by definition an anadromous rainbow trout...
1b--by definition anadromous fish migrate from salt water to freshwater in order to spawn...

2--lake erie is freshwater

3a--potamodromous fish are fish that migrate to spawn, but spend their entire lives in freshwater...
3b--the fish in erie are potamodromous... because they migrate in ONLY FRESH WATER...

4--therefore a fish in Lake Erie/lake erie tribs can never fit the definition of a steelhead...
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 21:11:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: steelstalker

Well, I'm sorry but you're going to have to make a new word to limit steelhead to being Oncorhynchus mykiss that migrate from salt to freshwater so that the poor steelhead know better.

steelhead are by def mykiss that travel to the sea, then back to freshwater to spawn...

They're not real smart animals, I love them but they're not smart, and as far as they know they are fully complying to the literal translation of anadromous. You would think that if salt was actually an important part of the lifecycle of these fish that it would be included in the term that is used to describe them. Hmm... must not be that important because it's not there. You can say whatever you want but Great Lakes Steelhead fully comply to the literal translation of the word anadromous, which makes you wrong.

they fit the def of potamodromous fish...
and a potamodromous mykiss is called a rainbow trout...
post edited by KJH807 - 2007/11/29 22:01:16
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 21:28:03 (permalink)
If I ask for a coke, someone might get me a pepsi or walmart cola or whatever.  In one sense, coke is a word that has been generalized and so can have a larger meaning referring to any and all colas.  But it may also be that I want a Coca cola, and in some situations its helpful for the word to retain its more specific reference.

It sounds to me like something similar is true of the word "steelhead".  It has a technical usage that is quite specific.  Along these lines I find KJH pretty convincing, though it still seems to me that smoltification might qualify GL bows as steelhead.  KJH, even in your posts there seems to be some ambiguity as to whether it is smoltification or salt that is the distinguishing characteristic of a steelhead with the word used in its most specific sense.

That said, when we talk about fishing for steelhead in the GLs, we all know what we are talking about, and in the wider sense of the word it seems no less appropriate.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 07:47:53 (permalink)
KJH,

So following your line of logic, if I take a tarpon out of the Gulf of Florida and put it in the mississippi river, it's not a tarpon anymore simply because the definition of a tarpon states that it is a "saltwater fish"?  The absence of salt water doesn't cancel out the genetics of the fish or the fact that it has the same tendencies as an anadromous steelhead. By definition only they are not steelhead but in all other manner they are a steelhead and not a rainbow trout.  It's like saying that a polar bear in captivity isn't a polar bear because it can't roam in its natural environment.  We have taken this fish and put it in an unnatural habitat, it doesn't change what the fish is.  The feeesh is a steeeelie.........bang.   
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 07:56:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

stalker...
you have yet to prove me wrong...
which point below do you not agree with???

1a--a steelhead is by definition an anadromous rainbow trout...
1b--by definition anadromous fish migrate from salt water to freshwater in order to spawn...

2--lake erie is freshwater

3a--potamodromous fish are fish that migrate to spawn, but spend their entire lives in freshwater...
3b--the fish in erie are potamodromous... because they migrate in ONLY FRESH WATER...

4--therefore a fish in Lake Erie/lake erie tribs can never fit the definition of a steelhead...

Answering for myself, I would disagree with 1a, and therefore 4, in accordance with the reasoning of the subsequent post by LDD.  There is some pleasure people derive in commadering definitions to suit there own prejudices.  Lake Erie Steelhead behave in nearly the same way as Pacific "anadromous" Steelhead, excepting only that when they return to the "sea," that sea does not contain saltwater.  Since we are naming the fish rather than the habitat, I would think that calling a Lake Erie (or Lake Michigan, etc.) Steelhead a "rainbow trout" would be less accurate than calling it a steelhead.
post edited by MackJ - 2007/11/30 07:57:09
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 08:13:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LDD

KJH,

So following your line of logic, if I take a tarpon out of the Gulf of Florida and put it in the mississippi river, it's not a tarpon anymore simply because the definition of a tarpon states that it is a "saltwater fish"?  The absence of salt water doesn't cancel out the genetics of the fish or the fact that it has the same tendencies as an anadromous steelhead. By definition only they are not steelhead but in all other manner they are a steelhead and not a rainbow trout.  It's like saying that a polar bear in captivity isn't a polar bear because it can't roam in its natural environment.  We have taken this fish and put it in an unnatural habitat, it doesn't change what the fish is.  The feeesh is a steeeelie.........bang.   

by my logic, that would be a dead tarpon...
zoos recreate an environment that is suitable for a polar bear to live...
can you create an environment that will allow for an anadromous??? of course not...
that is why a true steelhead is a special type of rainbow...
all steelhead are rainbows (Oncorhynchus mykiss)... but not all rainbows are steelhead

Oncorhynchus mykiss has the ability to live in both salt and freshwater... thats what makes it different...
to be qualified as a smaller "subset" of steelhead, the fish must be anadromous...
if it has "anadromous tendencies" in freshwater, that is called potamodromous...
"anadromous tendencies" only means migration to spawn... as you see in previous post there are different types of migration... all depended on types of water and direction traveled...

one of coutless examples...
a Oncorhynchus mykiss in elevenmile resovior that swims 3 miles upstream in the south platte river to spawn...
that would be what you (LDD) call "anadromous tendencies"... correct???
but wait...
thats all freshwater...
thats potamodromous migration...
thats a rainbow trout...

tell me which facts in post #68 are wrong...
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 08:20:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MackJ

Answering for myself, I would disagree with 1a, and therefore 4, in accordance with the reasoning of the subsequent post by LDD.  There is some pleasure people derive in commadering definitions to suit there own prejudices.  Lake Erie Steelhead behave in nearly the same way as Pacific "anadromous" Steelhead, excepting only that when they return to the "sea," that sea does not contain saltwater.  Since we are naming the fish rather than the habitat, I would think that calling a Lake Erie (or Lake Michigan, etc.) Steelhead a "rainbow trout" would be less accurate than calling it a steelhead.

what definition of a steelhead are refering to???
I mean an honest legit source...
not "i think a steelhead is _____"
facts... not opinions...

i agree they show "tendencies" an act "similar"...
but those similarities classify the fish as beloning to a different group of migrating fish...
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2985
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 08:22:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dano

So by your reasoning, the salmon in Lake Ontario are not really salmon because by definition, salmon are an anadromous fish.
Do I have that right?

not all salmon are anadromous...
landlocked salmon won't go to salt, even if unobstructed...

the chinook and coho in the G.L. are not a native fish... they were orignialy introduced to destory alewifes in MI in the late 60s...

man has created a "landlocked chinook" in the G.L.
this is not an anadromous fish... rather a potamodromos fish

???

So you are saying that the Great Lake Chinooks are still considered salmon, an anadromous fish. But since they spend their lives in fresh water, we call them landlock salmon. Right?
 Well, we can say the same thing about our steelhead. We should consider them landlocked steelhead by the same reasoning.
Since our landlocked steelhead go through a smoltification process like their pacific cousins, I would say that they are more closely related to steelhead than our domestic bows.  

Gone Fishing
LDD
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 08:38:58 (permalink)
Everything in post 68 I agree with...I'm just playing devil's advocate here...although you are wrong about the tarpon...they typically have anadromous tendencies and live in fresh and brackish water throughout the everglades, south america and in various rivers in costa rica. 
my point was that just becuase the environment is not adequate to support its "biological name" doesn't mean that the fish is not a steelhead.  The question then is, if the lake were salt, would the fish enter it?  My contention is that they would, thus making them steelhead.  There are rainbows (mykiss) in various rivers in alaska that never enter salt water and there are steelhead that obviously enter the salt and come back to spawn.  The fish in erie are genetically closer to the fish that enter the salt and not the rainbows that do not.  Therefore, the fish in Erie would enter the salt, if it were there, and that's what makes them steelhead although there is an absence of salt.  
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 08:40:14 (permalink)
Exactly Dano. 
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 09:26:50 (permalink)

So by your reasoning, the salmon in Lake Ontario are not really salmon because by definition, salmon are an anadromous fish.
Do I have that right?

not all salmon are anadromous...
landlocked salmon won't go to salt, even if unobstructed...

So you are saying that the Great Lake Chinooks are still considered salmon, an anadromous fish. But since they spend their lives in fresh water, we call them landlock salmon. Right?
Well, we can say the same thing about our steelhead. We should consider them landlocked steelhead by the same reasoning.
Since our landlocked steelhead go through a smoltification process like their pacific cousins, I would say that they are more closely related to steelhead than our domestic bows.  

i never said all salmon are anadromous...
trout are a type of salmon...

you can't pull chinook into this debate...
there are genetice differences between types (coho, chinook, sockeye, ect)
however in the very specific case of mykiss... the only thing that seperates a steelhead from a rainbow is an anadromous life cycle...

i have never read that the smoltification process has a determining role in the classifciation of a steelhead...

KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 09:36:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LDD

Everything in post 68 I agree with...I'm just playing devil's advocate here...although you are wrong about the tarpon...they typically have anadromous tendencies and live in fresh and brackish water throughout the everglades, south america and in various rivers in costa rica. 
my point was that just becuase the environment is not adequate to support its "biological name" doesn't mean that the fish is not a steelhead.  The question then is, if the lake were salt, would the fish enter it?  My contention is that they would, thus making them steelhead.  There are rainbows (mykiss) in various rivers in alaska that never enter salt water and there are steelhead that obviously enter the salt and come back to spawn.  The fish in erie are genetically closer to the fish that enter the salt and not the rainbows that do not.  Therefore, the fish in Erie would enter the salt, if it were there, and that's what makes them steelhead although there is an absence of salt.  

i don't know much bout tarpon...i was generalizing a salt fish in fresh...
IF there was salt in the lake THEN they would be steelhead??? i understand the contention...BUT
G.L.s are not salt water...

my contention... there is no original genetic difference between steelhead and all other mykiss...
just a life cycle... one that the G.L. is lacking

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 09:38:53 (permalink)
the only thing that seperates a steelhead from a rainbow is an anadromous life cycle...

---

That is false.

Smoltification is the only biological separation.  That's what makes a steelhead a steelhead.  You were told that back on the first page.  Water content has nothing to do with taxonomy.  It's the biology that does, it's the migrating signal that creates the steelhead.  Domestic rainbows do not have this.
LDD
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 09:42:17 (permalink)
I watched the republican debate the other night and I much prefer this. 
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 09:56:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Smoltification is the only biological separation.  That's what makes a steelhead a steelhead.  You were told that back on the first page.  Water content has nothing to do with taxonomy.  It's the biology that does, it's the migrating signal that creates the steelhead.  Domestic rainbows do not have this.

can you explain the smoltification differences between steelhead and rainbows???
i don't remember anyone "telling" me a difference...
i also never remember seeing it as a qualification for steelhead classification...

"Anadromous steelhead and resident rainbow trout did not arise from two distinct evolutionary lines. There is a close genetic and taxonomic relationship between these two forms. Anadromous forms of the trout can convert to resident populations when drought events or damming of rivers blocks their access to the ocean. Conversely, resident trout populations can become anadromous if ocean access becomes available. It is typical to have both life history patterns occurring in the same stream. In fact, resident and anadromous parents can produce offspring of both varieties."

Source: Steelhead Restoration and Management Plan for California, by Dennis McEwan and Terry Jackson, CA Department of Fish and Game
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:09:35 (permalink)
I cannot explain the smoltification process for resident rainbows because there is no such thing.  You do not remember anyone telling you the difference because it does not exist in resident rainbows.

wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:18:21 (permalink)
One of the things I enjoy about steelhead is that they put up a good fight.  Hey, come to think of it, that's one of the things I enjoy about this board as well.  The fish may be sluggish right now, but the fisherman sure aren't!
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:18:28 (permalink)
what is the process for steelhead???
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:26:34 (permalink)
Process for what ?
LDD
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:34:28 (permalink)
But it's still a chinook...or does that make it a bluegill??
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:36:14 (permalink)
what is the smoltification process for steelhead???
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:37:49 (permalink)
Migration.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 10:51:12 (permalink)
rainbow trout migrate to spawn... this happens in a ton of places... my example of the south platte from above...
but the migration is potamodromous... entirely in fresh water... just like erie...
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/30 11:06:22 (permalink)
I know it happens in a lot of areas.  They however stay in the river -- aka resident.  Resident fish don't go some place (in this case a lake) and return 2-4 years later to spawn.  Smoltification is the migration to the lake or the sea.  I will not deny that we have "fake" steelhead when comparing them to their ancestors but I would never accept that GL fish are not steelhead.  Their life cycles are totally different from resident fish.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: