Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
pa1000
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/25 05:49:06 (permalink)

tell me about steelhead

ok I know that steelhead are rainbow trout, but does it matter which ones are stocked in the creeks (are there different strains of rainbows)? can the same ones raised to be stocked in a lake be stocked in elk creek and somehow know to swim to the lake then come back again in a couple years? can the steelhead population in erie succesfully breed and possibly self sustain? are there self-sustaining populations anywhere?  were there steelhead populations  anywhere either fresh or salt-water that existed before people stocked them? 

116 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 07:15:20 (permalink)
    Erie has lake run rainbows... not steelhead (sorry guys)
    there are no steelhead in the great lakes

G.L. fish are a potamodromous fish that migrate in fresh water... no part of the life cycle in is salt...
    steelhead are an anadromous rainbow that spends part of its life cycle in salt water...
    rainbows and steelhead are the same strain of fish...but a rainbow becomes a steelhead due to the part of its life spent in salt water

while evidence of some natural reproduction in erie... it is not a sustainable population
    there are however native fish in the pacific northwest... and a sustainable population of wild fish in the other G.L.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 10:21:30 (permalink)
    To add to what 807 already mentioned..

I believe even the steelies out west are clasified as rainbows.

The world record "rainbow" was 42 pounds.
    It's a west coast steelie.

i recall reading that the first steelies (ocean run 'Bows) were brought to the lake Erie water shed some time in the mid/late 1800s

there are different strains of steel.
    Ohio stocks Manistee strain and used to stock London as well.
    Pa stocks a  strain that's become a "mutt" fish all it's own.

For practical purposes, the only difference observed between the different strains, are the times of year they run up the creeks.
    Pa's steel run most in the Fall, Ohio's strain runs most in the Spring.
    Donno what strain NY stocks

There's very little natural repro in the Erie tribs.
    best estimates I've seen put it at 2 to 20% depending on which creek.
    Shallow, hard bottom shale creeks along with fall to spring angling pressure makes it pretty tough to virtually impossible.

I believe I read Canada has natural repro and i think i recall reading some of the NY tribs tout a 40% natural repro rate

..L.T.A.

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 10:47:03 (permalink)
    Genie, I think you need to fact check on the 42# world record 'bow.  I believe it was recently surpassed by a Kamloops strain of rainbow in Saskatchewan.

steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 11:23:58 (permalink)
    Still a huge fish hah.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 14:14:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Genie, I think you need to fact check on the 42# world record 'bow.  I believe it was recently surpassed by a Kamloops strain of rainbow in Saskatchewan.

Thanks Storm.
    wasn't aware of the new WR

wish it was on the end of my line
    (smile face icon)

..L.T.A.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 19:18:03 (permalink)
    43.6 lbs
    was caught in june
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/25 19:40:54 (permalink)
    You can see photos here:  http://www.laketrout.org/world-record-rainbow-trout.htm

Story is here:  http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=2901070

Cool pics from the lake where it was caught here (including some monster rainbows):  http://www.trophytroutguide.com/gallery/index.php
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/26 15:08:39 (permalink)
    That fish is a genetic mess.There was a fish farm on the lake that was trying to produce large rainbow's for commercial sale,there nets got ripped due to ice on the lake and the fish escaped.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/26 15:17:35 (permalink)
    where did u hear that?

Sloppie1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/26 15:22:56 (permalink)
    That's what I heard also think I read it in Feild and Stream a month or 2 ago. Should put a big fat * next to that one he's on the juice lol.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/26 16:14:28 (permalink)
    That is apparently a triploid fish.  A few years ago they put kings with similar genetics in Lake Michigan (and Ontario, I think) to try and produce Great Lake kings over 50 pounds.  Don't think that ever happened, though.
    pa1000
    New Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 01:22:39 (permalink)
    so do the strains of fish they stock have to be descended from the native steelhead on the west coast? for instance if you take a regular rainbow that was supposed to be stocked in hereford manor and stock those in elk creek would they become "lake run rainbows" or would they all just generally stay in elk creek never attempting to swim to the lake?
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 02:11:53 (permalink)
    I would argue that we do have steelhead. The physiological changes of our steelhead are the same as steelhead the world over regardless of the salt content of the water in which they live. The look and act very different than, say, the lake run rainbows of the Finger Lakes and anyone who has not seen both might not understand. We may have PA Frankensteel Mutts, but they're steelhead nonetheless. IMO, saying that these fish are not steelhead because there's no salt in Lake Erie is silly. Landlocked steelhead is a better description, after all a landlocked salmon doesn't stop being a salmon because of where it lives. But landlocked steelhead just sounds silly, well because it's a goofy arguement to begin with.

Any trout stocked in Elk Creek will probably move into the lake by the end of June regardless of their lineage. When the stream become unsuitable to sustain coldwater fish they will seek life elsewhere, this is the source the big browns occasionally caught in the fall.
    pa1000
    New Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 06:13:35 (permalink)
    Any trout stocked in Elk Creek will probably move into the lake by the end of June regardless of their lineage.

will they come back to the streams in fall though?
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 08:01:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pa1000

Any trout stocked in Elk Creek will probably move into the lake by the end of June regardless of their lineage.

will they come back to the streams in fall though?

When it's time for them to spawn, I'd s'pect they would.

Stalker,  I'm curious, could the reason the 'Bows in the Finger lakes you mentioned be different because of the forage base?
    I'm sure the strain has something to do with genitic differences.
    Some stains run in the Fall, Spring and Summer.
    Also, some are long and skinny, some are short and fat.
    But they're all still considered Bows, no??

..L.T.A.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 15:22:43 (permalink)
    im confused.   If there is no difference between rainbow trout and steel, why do SOME get really big, and others don't-like stocked rainbow trout in lakes and streams across the state?  Is it simply the amount of forage available?  Bceause a stocked trout in north park lake still has lots of little sunfish, minnows and bluegills available to eat.  I though there was some genetic difference between regular rainbows and steel. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 15:39:56 (permalink)
    Actually the stockie Rainbow MIGHT get as big (eventually), but the growth rate would be slower. Forage fish are only a part of their diet. In the great lakes, the mainstay of their diet in the early stages, and for a large part of the year as adults, is the Spiny Water Flea. Another factor, is ROOM to grow. Fish tend to naturally adjust their growth rates to the size of a body of water, and it's population. Put five Goldfish in a bowl, and one in a bowl. Provide the same amount of food per fish, and the ONE fish will still grow larger than the five.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 15:40:54 (permalink)
    No difference in dna.  Only difference is smoltification.  Our steelhead originally came from the McCloud river in 1883 or somewhere close to that date.  They were stocked in Michigan, Pere Marquette I think.  They are the now considered manistee strain.   Pa are a mix of who knows what.  I've heard, london, garsh, and skamania.  There are lake run rainbows in the great lakes, check out the old boards on the salmon river.  Lake run bows drive to move upstream is more like a brown trout though, not nearly as strong as steelhead.

KJH -- You from Canada ?  They refuse to call GL fish, steelhead.   They call them lake runs like you.   I personally disagree, because of the change to salt doesn't mean they are not steelhead.  They still smolt (I know the definition is heading to the salt we just use the big lakes for substitute).  All of our fish came from the salt at one time.  Skams are still relatively new to the GL.  Like 30 years or something.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 15:53:26 (permalink)
    Its all about forage base . Bigger the body of water bigger the average size of each year class of fish. The trout you are speaking of are pellet grown from the hatchery they grow to 7" in thier first 15 months of life and then average an inch each month while feeding is supplemented . While the fish in lake Erie have natural larger shad , alewife , shiners , crawdads , perch , smolt , walleye fry , gobies to eat . The smaller bodies of water cannot grow such large fish smaller less frequent meals..... The insects also play a role in the natural diet as well. A trout expends probably the same amount energy to eat a bug as it is valued for growth..... Alot of variables here. It is my belief the steelhead is the same as a rainbow trout ; but that is speculation on my end through conversation with others ???? Chime in anyone.
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 18:56:34 (permalink)
    Genie,
    I'm not sure. I know that the difference between steelhead and "standard" rainbow trout still baffle biologists being that genetically they are the same. They just look more like a large holdover bow, the males do not get as big of a kype and the head shape doesn't change as much like a steelhead nor do they seem to get the exagerated girths that many of our steelies. I think they have plenty of forage and plenty of room to grow. Maybe they're forage keeps them closer to the shoreline and maybe that has something to do with it. Lot's of maybes but one thing I know for sure is that they're different from our steelhead.

Dreamcatcher,
    Absolutely, a steelhead is a rainbow right down to it's genes. A steelhead is just a rainbow that has undergone the physiological changes needed to survive and thrive in a large body of water, forage is just part of that equation. The other differences still confuse biologists.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 19:22:34 (permalink)
    The steelhead/rainbow debate has always interested me. It is my understanding that they are the same fish genetically, but just lead different life cycles mainly due to smoltification.

But, I feel they are definitely closer to being the same than they are being different, especially our PA mutt fish that I do think have more regular rainbow in them. Don't forget too, each waterway where wild fish are present, sort of has their own "strain" of fish too. I fish several waters for wild browns, and I can generally tell by looking at a picture which stream a fish came out of. Each one has it's own features to an extent, and the fish are just hued a little bit differently on each water.

I also think that most rainbows stocked in a lake will become lake run fish also, if there is ample feed to hold them over, and an attractive stream to run. The spawning urge is still there. Actually, I am fortunate to know of a very small lake in PA, that is in a very remote area, that has it's own little run of wild reproducing rainbows. These fish run the tributary each spring from mid March to mid April, and honestly look identical to a silvery, fresh steelhead. Only difference, they are very, very slender, and seldom over 21" or 22". But, none the less, it is a pretty cool deal.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 19:36:11 (permalink)
      Just an observation from the past. PA used to stock domestic rainbows in the tribs for trout season. When the salmon ran in the Fall, a few lake run rainbows would follow. As steelstalker stated, they were shaped more like the brown trout that run today than our current steelhead.
    Genetically, the domestic bows and steelhead may be the same but different strains are noticed across the world. Just as there are different strains of brown trout and brook trout across the world.
    Probably has more to do with some recessive - dominant gene thingy.

Brown Trout,
    You beat me to the "submit button" by a few minutes .
    I'm a slow typer.

Good post.
    post edited by dano - 2007/11/28 19:41:58

Gone Fishing
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 20:03:54 (permalink)
    i am not from Canada... but have this onoing convo with some westcoasters...

i am still sticking to the facts...
    anadromous fish live in the sea and breed in fresh water...
    potamodromous fish migrate within fresh water only...
    GL have no salt... oceans do...
    steelhead (by definition) are anadromous fish...

Steelhead are exactly the same species as rainbow trout. However, the difference is anadromy....
    steelhead are sea-run rainbows...
    all steelhead are rainbow trout... not all rainbow trout are steelhead...

am i wrong???
    post edited by KJH807 - 2007/11/28 20:07:18
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 20:21:16 (permalink)
    Kjh807,
    Then, explain salmon as an anadomous fish and it's part in the Great Lakes system.

Gone Fishing
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 20:32:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dano

Kjh807,
    Then, explain salmon as an anadomous fish and it's part in the Great Lakes system.

i'm not sure what you are asking...
    its a non-native species that was planted in the G.L...

if it lives in a G.L. it is not anadromous...
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 20:48:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

Kjh807,
    Then, explain salmon as an anadromous fish and it's part in the Great Lakes system.

i'm not sure what you are asking...
    its a non-native species that was planted in the G.L...

if it lives in a G.L. it is not anadromous...

So by your reasoning, the salmon in Lake Ontario are not really salmon because by definition, salmon are an anadromous fish.
    Do I have that right?

Gone Fishing
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/28 22:19:32 (permalink)
    woo kAres dUuds

tHarE jIst fIss
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 01:30:23 (permalink)
    dUm fsh

eye keep telin cOboy that ther jus dUm fIhs

smAl duud....

..l.T.A.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: tell me about steelhead 2007/11/29 10:06:43 (permalink)

So by your reasoning, the salmon in Lake Ontario are not really salmon because by definition, salmon are an anadromous fish.
    Do I have that right?

not all salmon are anadromous...
    landlocked salmon won't go to salt, even if unobstructed...

the chinook and coho in the G.L. are not a native fish... they were orignialy introduced to destory alewifes in MI in the late 60s...

man has created a "landlocked chinook" in the G.L.
    this is not an anadromous fish... rather a potamodromos fish

???
    post edited by KJH807 - 2007/11/29 10:07:53
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: