HSUS again on Sunday hunting

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/17 15:20:54 (permalink)
Keep those letters flowing and emails folks....

Ive been hearing a lot of legislators who are saying there is more resistance than support for this and that if it comes to them voting it will be no. Now i have not heard from all, nor even a large number..

I really dont "know" but going by all that ive heard thusfar, it appears that this may be fight that ends up being picked up another time. I hope that is the case, and i hope they are better times where i too can support sunday hunting.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/17 15:21:50
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/17 15:42:54 (permalink)
Spot on Wayne- Those darned Environmental extremists are always trying to have us kill off animals for them. Always want Hunters to do the dirty work - Guess thats why they are so well known for supporting various Hunting groups .
  Couldnt agree with you more than on this one.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/17 16:17:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

Keep those letters flowing and emails folks....

Ive been hearing a lot of legislators who are saying there is more resistance than support for this and that if it comes to them voting it will be no. Now i have not heard from all, nor even a large number..

I really don't "know" but going by all that ive heard thusfar, it appears that this may be fight that ends up being picked up another time. I hope that is the case, and i hope they are better times where i too can support Sunday hunting.

I think opinions vary quite a bit from different areas. The more populated areas probably hold more who favor. Life is busier and many are urging Sunday hunting to their reps. All you guys who favor this remember this come election time and don't be afraid to let your reps know how you feel. Farmers are wanting support for crop damage in many areas while some are opposed to wanting hunters on their land on Sunday. Not everyone is going to be happy but once the big picture comes together it will become the PGC decision to control and regulate Sunday hunting.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/17 17:24:54 (permalink)
it will become the PGC decision to control and regulate Sunday hunting.

For me, therein lies the problem.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/17 17:36:20 (permalink)
Spot on Wayne- Those darned Environmental extremists are always trying to have us kill off animals for them. Always want Hunters to do the dirty work - Guess thats why they are so well known for supporting various Hunting groups .
Couldnt agree with you more than on this one.

Yep, its not exactly a best kept secret these days, at least in the keystone state. IN many states they are ignored by the wildlife management agency of most states. Again....not in the keystone state.

link

Link2

post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/17 17:39:00
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/21 17:57:12 (permalink)
http://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=2837

HSUS Sets Sights on Religions
8/19/11

It seems that the most dangerous and well-funded group within the animal rights lobby, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is again trying to reposition itself to seem mainstream. That transformation is a new “Faith Outreach” effort. Yes, HSUS is attempting to align itself with religions. This path closely follows the animal rights group’s programs that have thrust its tentacles into school systems and young student minds around the nation. Churches should definitely beware.

The programs championed by HSUS outreach efforts include articles promoting a connection between animal rights and the congregations of the Unitarian Universalists and the United Church of Christ. And the HSUS furthers the connecting efforts by pushing pro-animal-rights statements attributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the Episcopal Church and others religious affiliations. Seems nearly any sermon can be twisted as promoting animal rights. These twists could have been far from the intent of the speaker or presenter when the materials were spoken or presented. This doesn’t matter to HSUS.

Real eyebrows are raised, however, when you discover the HSUS’s St. Francis Day in a Box project. A $15 toolkit promoting the animal rights philosophy includes: the Chronicles of Narnia; Animal Protection Ministries: A Guide for Churches; Eating Mercifully; the CAFO Reader: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories (a stab at farming); and many others. These animal rights agenda packets are sold to churches, or congregation members, to raise funds for HSUS. While this propaganda intertwines religion and animal rights as connected crusading causes, there is an obvious lack of religious tolerance in the missing mention of St. Hubertus, the patron Saint of Hunters. And of course the “toolkit” includes envelopes and instructions on how to collect funds in the names of pets, animals and wildlife, and then send those funds directly to HSUS.
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/21 22:11:28 (permalink)
How bizzare, the HS is open for business on Sundays.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 07:31:10 (permalink)
"It seems that the most dangerous and well-funded group within the animal rights lobby, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is again trying to reposition itself to seem mainstream."

Yep, and many folks are blind to it or want to pretend that they are no threat to our sport.  

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 08:18:15 (permalink)
Yep, and many folks are blind to it or want to pretend that they are no threat to our sport.

While I agree they are a overall threat to our sport that fact has little or nothing to do with the issue of Sunday Hunting which is a issue between the landowners in the state and some of the hunters in the state.

They are just a National outsider group trying to influence the outcome just as the NRA and others are.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 09:18:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

They are just a National outsider group trying to influence the outcome just as the NRA and others are.

They are a outside group looking to influence but there is a big difference in how the two are playing to non-hunters during this discussion. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 10:01:17 (permalink)

While other folks want to make it "THE ONLY" issue by creating paranoia in our ranks to get others to turn a blind eye to all other considerations and support what they want us to support.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 10:16:59 (permalink)

While other folks want to make it "THE ONLY" issue by creating paranoia in our ranks to get others to turn a blind eye to all other considerations and support what they want us to support.

Anyone who is objective on issues, recognizes that there are legitimate points coming from both sides of the issue.  As you pointed out before, it is up to each individual to weigh those points and form a position if they so choose. 

HSUS's wish for poltical control of game management is a legitimate concern, as are landowner concerns.  Both are undeniable unless one is blinded by personal beliefs and unwilling to look past those beliefs towards other points of view. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/08/22 10:21:09

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 10:36:30 (permalink)
    Been following the threads on the PA Sunday issue and have voiced general Hunter concerns about the ANTIS getting involved .
    You guys are very well versed on the issues - wish it was the same here but we havent had such a controversial issue come up so its hard to tell how we would react.
   One point that seems to be there on most threads is  Landowner concerns with the Sunday issue and general all round Doe harvest issues. Perhaps some kind of blend would be a solution palatable to many.
  If  landowners posted NO DOE HUNTING but still allowed Buck hunting it would seem to help out a LOT with the concerns of most involved.
     Wonder how it would be if  Sporting groups provided signs and helped Post Pvt areas as such. Might catch on enough to make  a marginal difference in places. Would certainly be appreciated by landowners who  may NOT post their properties to all Hunting.
   Just a thought.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 10:43:32 (permalink)
Retired guy, I dont think its a solution to rely on posting when all of the lands we are most concerned with...those that are public and those that are private but not particulary "managed" by the landowner in any form or fashion.

HSUS's wish for poltical control of game management is a legitimate concern

But audubon and dcnrs wasnt? lmao

I also believe you left some out. The only legit concern being landowner issues? Lmao. Yeah...whatever you say chief. lol. Im not blinded to ANY of these issues. Not a one. And unlike you i refuse to look past them, especially the #1 biggest problem to hunters in Pa today.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 11:08:35 (permalink)

I also believe you left some out. The only legit concern being landowner issues? Lmao. Yeah...whatever you say chief. lol. Im not blinded to ANY of these issues. Not a one. And unlike you i refuse to look past them, especially the #1 biggest problem to hunters in Pa today.

Just used two examples.  There are many more from both sides as you are well aware.  And, as I have said before, you can see points from the other side. 

I wouldn't say I refuse to look past them? It is just my position differs from yours after we each weigh the points we consider legitimate. 

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 11:35:42 (permalink)
HSUS's wish for poltical control of game management is a legitimate concern

Interesting that it didn't appear to have many concerned when the HSUS was pushing for increased penalties for game law violations. I agree with Wayne that they are being used as a smokescreen by some on this issue because the reasons given for wanting to allow Sunday hunting do not stand up to close scrutnity .
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 12:22:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Interesting that it didn't appear to have many concerned when the HSUS was pushing for increased penalties for game law violations.

I agree which is why I have pointed out that fact here and elsewhere.  Some looked past it which is wrong, IMO.  As you know, I recently had a conversation with the PGC legislative liason about that issue.  He kinda didn't like me calling a spade a spade and would not deny that he met with HSUS during the increased penalties debate.

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 13:07:02 (permalink)
  For those not aware - those large National - even Regional for that matter- organizations regularly go to State  Offices and Lobby for their causes. They are regularly in Legislative Halls and even have many of their Brother and Sister organizations include a pitch for their cause when talking about other things with Legislators. They work together quite consistently.
  You will find that folks you never even thought of have pushed for legislation that really has little or nothing to do with their mandates. The lobbyists work together and help each other out as a normal course of doing business.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 16:11:27 (permalink)
Yes and thats why organizations in the hunting world need to unite and over come those trying to shut down our sport. The more organizations and the more members one holds can only be good for our sport. Many national hunting organizations have jumped on board on this one. Lets hope that many more will continue to do so. Rather you belong to a org or not your view is important and you must voice your opinion to your legislature rather you support it or not.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 16:47:43 (permalink)
The national groups have no business dictating things here. Each state is individual with individual needs and concerns and national groups just arent that intricately knowledgeable about every one. Nor do they have any clue of our priorities or values.

This is a decision for us to make and the only reason some want "others" involved, is because their side isnt doing so well and what they want might not happen.

Id say with far less than 100% of even our own ranks on board with this you better get all the help you need from "outsiders" to cram it down everyone elses throats....national groups help or not.... win lose or draw, thats a tough road to hoe.

I think thats why people want pgc to have the say. That way legislators are "off the hook" when it comes to answering for the decision to the voting public. Those who oppose this should make it known to the legislators that they will be held responsible. Especially since there will be NO recourse for us in regards to the ill effects caused by the rogue independent agency they are trying to pawn this off on.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/22 16:52:32
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:09:36 (permalink)
So what are PA's priorities and values?
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:16:29 (permalink)
So when a org such as the HSUS goes after our sport and drags religion into it to attack us, national orientations should just stand by and ignore this ? It's Pa's problem let Pa handle it?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:20:51 (permalink)
So what are PA's priorities and values?

Im not going to play games here by attempting to "speak" for everyone, I'll simply sum it up by saying whatever they may be, its up to US to decide what those things are. Not some guy from Alaska or Texas.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:21:52 (permalink)
So when a org such as the HSUS goes after our sport and drags religion into it to attack us, national orientations should just stand by and ignore this ? It's Pa's problem let Pa handle it?

Of course i do not support hsus getting involved either. But since they are, you do make a good point there.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:32:29 (permalink)
Thank you and lots of good points from you as well on this subject as also to Sunday hunting. I'll give them all some thought. Nice to have a civilized conversation with all of you gentlemen. Time to fling some arrows and check cams. Enjoy your day and I hope to continue with you guys later.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:43:28 (permalink)
Gotta go get me a cable slide tomorrow so i can shoot again. Cracked off another yesterday, making about 5 since April. 2 busted off just sitting there with bow on the rack. She be gettin' close. Miss snugglin' up in the ol' summit.

Headin' out in about an hour trying to catch some cat feeeesh. Later.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/22 17:44:01
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 17:45:54 (permalink)
It doesn't have to be Texas or Alaska.  There are a number of states with similar demographics to PA, especially the "Rust Belt" states.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one... 
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/22 18:14:03 (permalink)
Retired guy ==

If landowners posted NO DOE HUNTING but still allowed Buck hunting it would seem to help out a LOT with the concerns of most involved.

What I am hearing from the legislators and farmers that will post here is basically... Who is going to enforce the No Doe Hunting or even the NO Sunday Hunting signs.. it will just be another day the owner has to worry about who is and is not on his property...

....NO DOE HUNTING = The farmers DO NOT want to be out there on Sundays checking to see if a certain hunter who had permission to hunt the property just harvested a doe or a buck

... and they especially want one day a week they do not have to be worried about hunters hunting there without permission period ...

....and as I keep mentioning = Who is going to help the farmers if they doe find someone hunting on his No Sunday Hunting property .. and as for no doe hunting.. he will not know that unless he checks harvested deer.... hunters will just say they are only hunting bucks...

and I do not think the PGC could do anything with a guy who shoots a doe on a no doe hunting property.. if Sunday hunting for does was legal state wide... ?????

I think all he can do with someone that does shoot a doe (No doe hunting property)is kick them off the property for the future...

REMEMBER ===== the PGC can not enforce for JUST trespassing ....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/22 18:16:33
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/23 00:38:58 (permalink)
Who is going to help the farmers if they doe find someone hunting on his No Sunday Hunting property ..

Who's helping him now ? Well I like to think that I am. First a hunter should develop a friend to friend relationship with the person who grants them permission to land access. The people who are granted permission are the farmers eyes and ears. I don't believe for on second that if Sunday hunting is law that farmers who object still wont let special people access the property anyway. Maybe not everyone who had previous permission but some will still be permitted to be on property.

Every private property owner has a responsibility to overlook who is trespassing and they must take action if intruders are present. If they feel like they need a private security agency to look out for trespassers and ATVs then have them enroll in the PGC "forest and game" program. The PGC can patrol for ATVs on private property so what the difference between a ATV rider and a trespasser?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: HSUS again on Sunday hunting 2011/08/23 07:50:12 (permalink)

The national groups have no business dictating things here. Each state is individual with individual needs and concerns and national groups just arent that intricately knowledgeable about every one. Nor do they have any clue of our priorities or values.

So the NRA should stand by and watch as Philadelphia's Mayor dismantles the rights of citizens to own and use guns for protection because it is a state issue? 

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: