Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/07 20:42:55 (permalink)

Trophies...

....so what does everyone consider a trophy fish? Not talking about your 1st of a species or anything like that--but what r your thoughts?   King--30+ ,   Steel--20+,  Alt--15+,   BT--15+ , Hoe--15+    These figures have changed for me over the years.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.

37 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/07 20:54:56 (permalink)
    Id say spot on for 30+ on kings. Although I've caught many 30+ kings.... never banked a #20 steely so id have to say 15 for steely and brown.... 19 lb. Coho is best for me;, but id say a #15 coho is a trophy....
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/08/07 20:56:17
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/07 21:23:14 (permalink)
    slayer since you ruled most everything about a trophy to my standards and put only a weight limit on things..
    King 30+ lb.. Personal best 34.75 / Coho 15+ lb.. pb 22 (lost a giant last year) / Brown 10+.. pb est. 17 / steelhead 15+.. pb 17.25 / Atlantic 10+.. pb 8../ laker 15+.. pb 12..

so there are the numbers for a numbers guy..
    I don’t mount fish, I take pictures , enlarge - frame then hang on the wall.. I have many picture mounts..
    Many times its more about character then size.. example a hook jaw male looks way cooler to me then a giant female.. Coloration is also key.. Dime bright steel are awesome but give them a rosy cheek plate with some purple and pinks in their body, that’s a character mount.. Same for all species..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/07 22:50:53 (permalink)
        Dont carry a scale but have a 12 and a half pound Brown on the wall at home and have  been  around the 15 or more  number often with the Hos even without the scale,  LOVE to Ho fish- if anything I tend to down-pound my fish. Dont wanna be 'overeager' like all those bucks guys shoot 'well over 200' that are bout 130 on a scale.
    Biggest Steel' hate to admit'  took home years ago to eat. It had the head cut off behind the lower front fins and it still curled way up well in front of the tail when put in the frig sideways. Didnt weigh it but it was at least real close.
        Caught a King years ago in the LFZ that was by far my biggest ever- It was  huge male in the big hole below the Church and when I pulled it in after a long struggle guys came over to look and admire it. It wasnt Fat Mary but it was definately in that blood line. Never took it completly out of the water and took time to revive it and release it- probably my favorite release ever and doubt will ever get another that big. Have caught a number in the 20s that did get weighed in so have something to compare to-and that guy was clearly in another weight class.
    The way things seem to be going the past year or two it will probably be a long time before I can tell an Atalantic story. Or another Brown story for that matter.
    Been up there goin at it for over 30 years and once in a while the fishing gods smile on ya.
       The real Trophies are in your mind though. Can recall some average or smaller fish that were hard to catch or in just the right place at just the right time that gave such great satisfaction they  simply cant be beat.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/07 22:55:04
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 05:00:50 (permalink)
    Some Fish and moments on the water are burned into my mind and if I close my eyes I'm there.
    Those are my trophy's. I've never been a numbers guy, but have always been a day dreamer.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 05:51:37 (permalink)
    Not really what I was getting at--to me every fish I catch is a trophy---not a real #'s guy either---just wanted to see at what point someone would say "that's going on the wall"

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 09:02:15 (permalink)
    Got a cookie cutter Ho on the wall simply cause a friend and I were up for a few days long ago and we both caught  the exact same size fish moments apart and in just the right place on a great memorable day. Hadem bigger but that one was the trophy.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 09:20:51 (permalink)
    don't fret DB & HT - perhaps one day you guys will be members of the elusive SR 20#er club,
    however, the odds are gettin slimmer & slimmer these days as the PETAtards continue their quest for further creel restrictions which in turn makes the overabundant steelies shrink...But there is always a needle in every haystack.

Metal - it don't matter how big the fish is - I would not spend the ching on a wall mount.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 10:22:19 (permalink)
    I'm with Salmo, as the weight, size, etc. doesn't do as much for me as the memory of a good day on the water.  Also it depends on the waters you fish as to what is considered a trophy.  I fish Lake Michigan in the Spring and Fall where species size trophies vary.  However I always consider it a great day when I fish with other fishermen who value the great outdoors.  I'm also a more C & R guy when it comes to fishing and don't even usually carry a camera to record my catches.

Eagle Ed
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 17:54:21 (permalink)
    to me its not really about size its about looks(hey thats what my girlfriend says about me!!! ).

But a 30+ king is nice, but look at it... has it gone throught the meat grinder, has it looked like it survived a 90's weighted treble?
    Ive got a picture of 2 browns i caught with in minutes of each other that were 12lbs and 10lbs each, but ill tell you what they were absolutely full of color, to me if i want a mount i want some nice colors or spots to it. I have a steelhead mount my great uncle caught in the mid 70's i believe and is absolutely amazing, maybe 10lbs itself but the contrast from the top grey stripe, the spots, and the bottom silver is astonishing.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 19:43:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

to me its not really about size its about looks(hey thats what my girlfriend says about me!!! ).

But a 30+ king is nice, but look at it... has it gone throught the meat grinder, has it looked like it survived a 90's weighted treble?
    Ive got a picture of 2 browns i caught with in minutes of each other that were 12lbs and 10lbs each, but ill tell you what they were absolutely full of color, to me if i want a mount i want some nice colors or spots to it. I have a steelhead mount my great uncle caught in the mid 70's i believe and is absolutely amazing, maybe 10lbs itself but the contrast from the top grey stripe, the spots, and the bottom silver is astonishing.

Hey wed; I agree about characteristics and the looks of the fish as well; but you oughtta watch making a comment about pictures in here. Someone may hold a gun to you're head demanding that you post it up
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 22:20:14 (permalink)
    oh christmas tree oh christmas tree...

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 22:34:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

oh tananbaum oh tanabaum....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 22:40:52 (permalink)
    Psssst - those mounts are painted. Can take an old black Shark and make it green silver or anything ya want --pink even.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 23:25:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Psssst - those mounts are painted. Can take an old black Shark and make it green silver or anything ya want --pink even.

I was waiting for someone to brake the news. Congratulations rt.... skin mounts are dried until they are a yellowish color. Then they are air brush sprayed. So if you want your fish to look like it looked when you caught it; give your taxidermist a picture...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/08 23:47:38 (permalink)
    Just a tip= if ya have an old mount with the older paining- take it out and have it re sprayed the new methods are great.
     Joe over at Northeast does a super job and does all the painting himself.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 01:10:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Just a tip= if ya have an old mount with the older paining- take it out and have it re sprayed the new methods are great.
    Joe over at Northeast does a super job and does all the painting himself.

I had northeast do I a 12# brown for me back in 97. I am very pleased to say the least...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 06:35:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

but you oughtta watch making a comment about pictures in here. Someone may hold a gun to you're head demanding that you post it up

I think most realize that mounts are painted.. But why would someone paint it to look like something it may not be ? Just dont make sense to me. Take some pictures and have them enlarged/framed then hang. Besides you can have as many as you want or catch.. Just looks better to me..
    Edit:
    Im not saying there is anything wrong with mounting fish.. Just they do nothing for me, thats all..

No guns, just reminding one who keeps claiming to post pictures.. You say it, I'm only reminding words.
    That might have been a NK#9.. lol

I know I have shown it many times but I think it's one of the best mounts I have.. Size dont matter. it's all about character. I love the kype, color, pose and water dripping.. I'll take this over a repo or skin mount ANY day..

post edited by hot tuna - 2011/08/09 06:43:21

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 07:33:38 (permalink)
    Hey tuna im glad to see you flashed back at that panther martin I threw out there.

I actually agree with you tuna. I have a 12# brown and a 12# coho I put on the wall for my collection. I really don't see my wall collection getting any bigger than that. The brown was caught in 97 and the. Hoe was 99. Unfortunately my best catches are mainly pictures in my head... but I do have many pictures of a few beauties throughout the years. If tuna's lucky, maybe he'll see them before the 18th.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 08:02:27 (permalink)
    Agree- Only have two-  Brown and a Ho- both are memory fish- have caught bigger or perhaps prettier but the two incidents are why the mounts are there.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 10:22:17 (permalink)

I wonder if a junkyard magnet would work....
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/09 18:24:54 (permalink)
    Have landed 3 Kings over 30# but not a pic to prove it. Seems like I liked drownibg phones and cameras when i get a trip wiff big fish.
    iI dont get mounting. fiberglass replicca of released fish yes.
    The size seriosly would depend on the water. a ten pound wild Brown here is special whereas on the great lakes they only get slit for eggs.

Lyrical
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/10 21:19:27 (permalink)
    ive heard of a new technology or maybe im just hearing about it now. that you can send a picture of a fish to a taxidermist and they will make a exact replica of whatever you caught. sounds nice to me. considering me and my fiance' have already agreed that i can have a man cave with whatever mounted trophies deerheads or whatever i want in my cave along with my pool table.

aaaaahhhhh gotta love the desire to want something!!!

"I wonder what fish smelled like before women started swimming?"
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/10 21:31:59 (permalink)

ive heard of a new technology or maybe im just hearing about it now. that you can send a picture of a fish to a taxidermist and they will make a exact replica of whatever you caught. sounds nice to me. considering me and my fiance' have already agreed that i can have a man cave with whatever mounted trophies deerheads or whatever i want in my cave along with my pool table.

aaaaahhhhh gotta love the desire to want something!!!
    Better get it in a pre-nup      LOL

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/10 23:00:44 (permalink)
    weddy iI was referring to that. you take measurements of the fish and pics. im sure the intrtunes has the answer. no wait~ we got dimebritht. hehehe
    sorry about spelling. skype is fed up

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/11 06:33:53 (permalink)
    I have one mount. It is a 36" 16lb male steelhead. The only reason it exists is that the owner of the local tackle store requested me to keep a large fish (back in 78 that was a big fish) if I got one since there was a local company perfecting something called freeze dry taxidermy and wanted fish to check the method out. It was on the shop wall for 15 years until it went out of bussiness.
    Now it resides somwhere in my basement.
    I didn't carry a camerea from the 80s til now since it seemed I never used them (fishing alone) and dunked them every few years, but I agree with Tuna that the best mounts are pictures be they on paper or in ones minds eye.
    My wife just gave me a cheap digie cam so if I get out this year a can remember I have it I hope to get a few snaps this year.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/11 18:16:29 (permalink)
    Does it last/look good WaDer? I saw on the tv about that some years ago and people were getting pets and stuff done up. All real except the eyeballs.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/11 19:03:36 (permalink)

Does it last/look good WaDer? I saw on the tv about that some years ago and people were getting pets and stuff done up. All real except the eyeballs.

Mine was the only one of the 3 done, remember this was the birth of the tech, thatwname out well but mine was exceptional,far better than any shin mount I have seen, right done to the flaired gills which were perfect.
    Still rather have the memory or a pic.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/11 19:07:37 (permalink)

weddy iI was referring to that. you take measurements of the fish and pics. im sure the intrtunes has the answer. no wait~ we got dimebritht. hehehe
    sorry about spelling. skype is fed up

Take a dam picture & blow it up it last longer and takes up less space..
    I'm no fish hugger by any means but this is the digital age man !! Snap away !!!
    well except I aint got no smart phone.. them der costs some ching,ching to maintain..

wader and all , the best investment is a water proof digital camera.. I went through countless non water proof cameras until I wised up.. They are not that over priced anymore..
    Mine is an Olympus stylus 550wp .. I paid like $119.00 on sale and it has a re-chargeable battery, another key.. In summer the battery will last for about 5 days.. In winter/cold weather about 1 day.. The only advantage to disposable batteries is they can be changed on the fly but they will die QUICK summer/winter.. I have a USB port adapter in my truck and 115 volt charger to use when needed.. I personally like the rechargeable built in battery over filling landfills with junk..

Mine is good but there are better out there..
    post edited by hot tuna - 2011/08/11 19:24:07

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trophies... 2011/08/11 20:02:54 (permalink)
    Tuna- I got the same camera last Summer for like 99 bucks and I love it. I agree about pics. I have a few 8 by 10 frames hanging and every once in a while I change out/rotate my big fish pics. to keep things fresh.

Lyrical
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: