Tips-newbie

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 10:07:58 (permalink)
Exactly how I feel too- Gotta be at my kids house in Vt the 20th weekend but will make another suicide run just before or after that. Fish or no its the tryin this time of year- The expectation and the sooner or later reward of a SHARK ON. Then its nutso for weeks and weeks.
  BTW  Drake -is there a noticeable difference between HOT and EPIC RUN ???
post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/10 10:11:13
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 11:03:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: retired guy

BTW  Drake -is there a noticeable difference between HOT and EPIC RUN ???

the current system in place is quite similiar to the one used by State Highway patrols..
both rely on MTD customer quota #'s....

p.s. - you should have been here yesterday....

p.s.s. do you ever fish for the VT troots?

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/08/10 11:04:23
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 12:28:45 (permalink)
HOT OFF THE SALMON CRAZY FORUMS.....salmon were seen in the esturary yesterday buy a guy who could n't get on lake due to waves and decided to troll there.Did n't mention anything about catching any and said several small pods were seen.Guess that rain and cooler weather is getting the show moving.Hope there is more rain on the way,see that they 're getting a little today.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 13:29:31 (permalink)
thats cool pa but really its always like that every year.. Great to get people excited though and the forums will be a buzzin now..
Used to Pike fish often all aug there and see some rollers.. some go up / some go back out.. Thing that sucked was I'm fishin pike so they limited you tackle wise, no trebbles and No hook gap more the 1/2.. My favorite lure was a weedless Johnson minnow with a giant twin tail trailer .. Lost more then a few lures to the toothies

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 13:49:31 (permalink)
I knew that rain would bring a few in as I had stated in the "rain" topic on this board yesterday. As tuna said, it is typical. As a nonresident; my out of state azz's earliest catch is august 12thish....I went 4 for 12 that trip back in 2000 I believe it was. But honestly; talking about and asking questions wont catch them for you. You gotta get out on the water
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 14:21:08 (permalink)
Read that same Post over there- First trip over for months---it went on to say the guys may not have been sure if they were Sharks or Carp.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 14:26:09 (permalink)
well you can pat your self for that on db.. I bet some fish just been hanging around prior any way. Just un noticed.. Lots of things will move a fish into/out of the estuary including boat traffic.. Pod of fish feeding/staging shallow off shore.. Big old boat comes crusin and scatters them.. Yup even into and out of the estuary..
How's that for non text book..lol

Now getting them to like those shallow riffles and warmer river temps.. Keep doin the Rain dance..

SwimFishieSwim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 17:04:20 (permalink)
Thanks everyone, your advice is really appreciated!
Plus it's always great hearing about different tactics and techniques that I never or rarely use.
One way or another I will go check out the scenery and provide a report.
I am traveling for work by myself and will have nothing else to do but roam the river area. If I don't wet my liness I plan to check out as many spots as possible for my trip later in the year.
If anyone from further away would like to know anything in particular let me know, I'll be glad to let you know what it's like.

One other thing that would be helpful, anyone recommend any bait/tackle shops in the Pulasky area?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 17:10:41 (permalink)
whitakers is a good fly shop right in town and will be open by then.
http://whitakers.com/

All seasons sports is a great all around tackle store close to the above shop;
http://www.allseasonssports.com/store.asp?pid=7425&catid=19670

there are others that I frequent and some I dont.. But those 2 always..

wednick
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 21:16:29 (permalink)
i frequent whitakers, all seasons, melindas and another shop i used to work at... (not fat nancys). but i definately will never go to yankee fly, had a run in with dawn that definately rubbed me the wrong way.

"I wonder what fish smelled like before women started swimming?"
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 21:19:07 (permalink)
All Seasons gets all my bizz

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 22:10:34 (permalink)
ditto
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 23:58:35 (permalink)
All seasons and Malindas in Altmar are my go to shops.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 06:07:48 (permalink)
Allseasons is primaryfor me...
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 14:12:27 (permalink)
gotta love melindas, shes so sweet and knowledgeable.

plus you gotta love the old men in the shop to that bust your balls a little bit.

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 14:33:43 (permalink)
Hey Wed -are the swimsuit sneaker crew working the needle yet? Be a sure sign.
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 15:17:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

plus you gotta love the old men in the shop to that bust your balls a little bit.

Basket Bob and crew are the experts,and they tell everyone they can,but they're harmless and they do know the ropes.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 15:27:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Basket Bob and crew are the experts,and they tell everyone they can,but they're harmless and they do know the ropes.

How about kenny and the boys.... wonderful set a guys to say the least....
SwimFishieSwim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 18:05:49 (permalink)
What about some of the gear guys?
I currently have a Okuma Noodle Rod and Shimano Sahara set up.
8# main line with 4# or 6# Tippett depending on condition. Both lines are Seguar Invizx - Fluoro as I believe this is the best line out here right now.
Now I know that the noodle rod might not be adequate on the SR, in which case I will bring my 8'6 salmon rod.
But what about the line, any preference?
Also, what about live bait like minnows or powerbait?
I don't prefer them personally but know they work on Erie as plenty of them catch on it especially in the spring.
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/11 23:31:23 (permalink)
That noodle rod set up is fine for the trout but will not handle the Salmon.If you really want to catch a Salmon on bait you can't go wrong with skein or sacks.However,why use messy bait when you can catch plenty with the Jensen egg on a 10 egg hook.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 08:22:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

That noodle rod set up is fine for the trout but will not handle the Salmon.If you really want to catch a Salmon on bait you can't go wrong with skein or sacks.However,why use messy bait when you can catch plenty with the Jensen egg on a 10 egg hook.

or even simpler - use big fugly estaz flies for the Salmon.

Your setup will work - but you may be a bit undergunned with a noodler.
also - if a mudshark freight-trains itself back toward the lake, it may put some serious stretch in your 8# mainline... I would up it a notch or two and use a lesser lb test tippet section... 8# is fine for the trouts....

hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 09:40:46 (permalink)
Hey guys,, don’t get all crazy about the well being of the fish.. They are very resilient and when some basic care is taken by us taking pictures isn’t going to do harm.. Have you ever seen then strip roe in the hatchery ? They bounce them off the floor on a regular basis.. Now I’m not saying You cant kill them but holding them up for a picture and dipping them back in the water often in between shots is all fine, even a drop on the ground wont do much harm ..
Things that are bad are obvious, the gills ,over stress , poor handling , warm water , keeping them out to long in freezing temps (gills) , and of course repeated dropping..

It is very tough to get good pictures when your alone. But it can be done as you have seen . A lot of mine are by myself.. If you want that shot of yourself it HAS to be pre planned.. A small tripod works great and folds right into a back pack.. Another way is to set the camera on a higher point on the bank and take some pre shots.. Of course this is all using a camera with a timer..
The Other good solo shot is finding a nice flat shore line and when the fish is landed just keep it in the water as flat as possible.. If warm enough I like to throw the rod next to the fish and snap away before even unhooking it..
Lastly but a bit tricky solo is the release shot.. This one is tough given they are so large and your so close.. Holding by the tail you have to kind of angle from the back while holding your arm out which means you cant see what the camera is seeing .. You can also just move the camera low to the water and just take a picture of their head and forget the rest.. All the while they know it’s time to go so it is the most difficult..

Just some tips I learned and would pass to you guys:
I like rubber or soft mesh nets & a glove.. Either way when there is help, keep the fish in the net /water until everything is planned,. When ready hold the fish up for a few quick shots.. Put the fish back in the water for a short time and have the camera guy ready to snap right as you lift the fish back up.. That is a killer picture that we call the drippin water shot..
Another tip is holding fish.. This don’t work well with salmon but does with trout.. Instead of the straight flat head & tail hold, put your hand further back towards the belly to form an arch in the fish.. That is a sweet hold and if you look in magazines the most common pro shot there is..

Well enough jibberish about pictures, Salmo .. YES I would like to see yours !!
post edited by hot tuna - 2011/08/12 09:53:20

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 09:51:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Hey guys,, don’t get all crazy about the well being of the fish..

hehehe

p.s. HT - you forgot to mention the intracancies of the "Bandito Shot"..

hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 09:59:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Hey guys,, don’t get all crazy about the well being of the fish..

hehehe

p.s. HT - you forgot to mention the intracancies of the "Bandito Shot"..

Personally I dont like the rod in teeth or the look down their mouth shots.. But hey man as Neil would say "keep on rockin' in the free world"

straw
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 10:17:22 (permalink)
All Season is our main shop. Last year I took my boys in there and he gave me 4 flies  for my boys. He said they are his future clients.
      My son has landed a salmon on  a noodle rod.  Down in a long pool. It was a blast!
Straw
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 11:19:13 (permalink)
There are definitly lots of nice people up there and also on this board. As we know it only takes one to ruin a good hole or a message board.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/12 11:51:24 (permalink)
   Always felt that the vast majority of  folks up there are nice people- wouldnt have bought up there otherwise.
  Gotta feel it a bit for the Shop folks though- imagine hundreds of fishermen each season all asking-'well where are the fish?'. And then expectin to be directed to the exact rock where they will hook up.
  Some days ya might just not feel the joy. After all they are workin and your fishin and the SR aint as long as the big Miss.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/12 11:53:13
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/13 15:11:10 (permalink)
I tied up every color I could think of streamer wise I'm huge on using larger streamers I'll post some pictures later on. I can't wait to hook into a back breaker
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/13 15:16:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: retired guy

Always felt that the vast majority of  folks up there are nice people- wouldnt have bought up there otherwise.
Gotta feel it a bit for the Shop folks though- imagine hundreds of fishermen each season all asking-'well where are the fish?'. And then expectin to be directed to the exact rock where they will hook up.
  Some days ya might just not feel the joy. After all they are workin and your fishin and the SR aint as long as the big Miss.

I did 2 seasons at a shop and ill be honest, hearing someone aske where are the fish, 1.29 million times gets really old. On top of people coming in and buying blatent snagging gear it just flat out bothered me. Dont get me wrong the good out weighed the bad, ive got a few new fishing buddies that meet me on the river and usually a few beers afterwards. But being asked constantly "where the fish at" in the middle of october when you can practically go anywhere and find fish, you just wanna yell "they're in the f'n water!!!. But nobody realizes how many times i heard that, so i couldnt get mad.

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/13 16:10:59 (permalink)

people coming in and buying blatent snagging gear it just flat out bothered me.

hahahahaha

did it bother you b4 or after you stocked the shelves?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: