Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/05 12:24:19 (permalink)

Tips-newbie

Hey guys I'm from up in Erie looking to do some salmon fishing. I want to treat my dad for his 50th birthday to some salmon fishing since he hasn't seen one in over a decade. Coming up to the Pulaski in September hopefully. Any tips and advice on rods and reels, and gear including line and such would be great. Thanks

60 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/05 13:33:14 (permalink)
    hey whisper; on this board there are a lot of different opinions and views on all ways and methods and gear and yada yada yada...but you can be assured that all the guys here have nothing but good advice. i believe i've seen your posts on some erie boards... anyways, i'd prefer to ask you what you have in mind for targetting salmon. are you spin or fly??? maybe both??? you obviously fish for steelies if your from erie... if you have a rod as big as an 8 weight you should be good. 9' in length is a good start. if your heaviest rods are 7 weights, trust me they can do the job. but they do lack the backbone of an 8 or 9 weight when it comes to hooking a strong silver hog....

fly fishing methods: 1. floating weight forward or DT to match your rod of choice fished with weighted flies or added split shot to your leader. this method can work just about anywhere from walking pace water ranging 2-4 ft. depth or riffle edges and tail outs of fast water... there are many different water types on the salmon... i recomend staying away from the large deep pools and look for the in between water. often i find that salmon will seek cover and rest just above a large rock in tail outs of fast runs; this water should never be overlooked...
    2. chuck and duck with a running line or a smaller weight fly line... this method is proven and can be very effective. you can use just enough weight to be just between the bottom and half way water column. tight lining your fly through just about any type of water can produce fish. even when fishing flat/shallow water in between pools or islands, casting on a 45 degree and letting it swing straight down from you c an be lethal. the 45 degree angle is recommended in FLAT water to prevent hooking up on the bottom. also tight lining through pockets and runs is very effective with this method too.
    3. swinging flies spey style or riffle hitched can produce fish as well and a steel brown or atlantic could be an added bonus when targetting them this way. by far this is a very rewarding way of catching them, but hook ups will be less for sure. i reccomend heavy flies or some small added bb shot followed with necessary mends to help your fly get down. sink tips can be effective as well, but i dont recomend them unless you are targetting specific water only (bigger water/larger pools/ gradual tail outs etc.)... you will find in most water other than the ones mentioned will result in your sink tip getting fouled up from rocks and you will be switching tips often due to many different types of water...
    4. flies... egg patterns, yarn patterns, sucker spawn,comets, leeches, flesh patterns, egg sucking leeches, streamers, buggers....etc. are staples for sure. if targetting the upper river the naturals will definitely work a little better... if targetting the lower river, yes, big streamers can work as well being that they eat baits like that in the lake. i tend to use glow bug yarn wads, glo bugs mostly in the lower river and it works great for me. brighter comets and leeches will work great in the lower river as well...

good luck and feel free to ask more questions. theres a great group of guys here willing to help..
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/05 14:14:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

but you can be assured that all the guys here have nothing but good advice.

bring some of them Erie Practice-Dummy Salmoniods with you - use them for bait...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/05 16:14:46 (permalink)
    Do you have a place to stay?If not,that should be first on your list.Look at the list of lodging on this site,and Salmoncrazy.They might be the same but it does n't hurt to look.
    Dime just gave you lots of good advise,but first what is your method...fly tackle or spin?
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/05 17:55:31 (permalink)
    Hey whisper, for spin fishing I recomend you to refer to my explanation on "chuck and duck". But of course with a spin rod for gear; most spin guys use short rods that are used to whip donkeys with. If I were to spin for salmon I would go for a medium action rod anywheres from 8-10 foot long. Maybe with a line class of 10-15 lb. Test. A reel that has a good drag and maybe holds around 200 yds of 15 lb. Test. From there tie on a barrel swivel and a tippet of 10 lb. Test. Any of the flies I mentioned could be used effectively with this rig. Also single rubber eggs or those rubber egg things with the spiral tail coming off of them. Heck, I think it was "over the hill" who swears by black scented sponge... anything with a maribou tail would work as well. Try to concentrate on your drift with out giving too much slack as you will get hung up on the bottom alot. Good luck...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/08/05 17:59:35
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/05 22:47:37 (permalink)
    I most likely will use spin I have a 7 and 10 weight fly rod. I have a rod that has a 6-12 pound line rating its a 10'6 Shimano Convergence with a Daiwa Exceller reel. I hope to drift some jigs and streamers under a float. Should I use bigger jigs and floats or same size as for steelhead? Also, is there is still areas you can keep 1 or 2 salmon just for the road? Thanks a lot for the tips guys
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 00:06:14 (permalink)
    That spin set up will work fine but go with the 12# main line then a small black barrel swivel and 8# flora tippet.That way if you break off you wont lose a ton of line.The floats don't have to be large and any jigs or streamers that you use better have a heavy hook.By the way you may keep three fish a day on the SR but only one trout is allowed.So you can keep three salmon,or two salmon and one trout.Also,the salmon are referred to as "mudsharks" for a reason,they are not too tasty.The longer they are in the river and the blacker they get the less edible they are,keep the light green ones if you can.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 09:36:14 (permalink)
    Pa fisher is correct with your rod and set up; you can go to 10 lb line if you'd like as long as it doesn't stress your rod too much. Anything with a maribou tail should work well. For float size; that all depends on water level and velocitybtw I did receive your pm...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/08/06 09:37:11
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 09:53:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fish whisper

I hope to drift some jigs and streamers under a float.

You might hookup with a steelhead or brown using that technique.

Your chances of catching a mudshark under a float are not very good - not saying it can't happen, but if you have limited time up there use the more conventional methods - bottom bounce,swing,or floss like the "seasoned salmoneers"

wednick
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 11:54:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

bottom bounce,swing,or floss like the "seasoned salmoneers"

i call that ham-n-eggin

another thing too, seems though they covered the gear, if youre spotting fish, dont jump right into the water, cause if a female is sitting in one spot shes waiting for male in her nest. just sit back and watch the mudsharks come in.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 13:07:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

if youre spotting fish, dont jump right into the water, cause if a female is sitting in one spot shes waiting for male in her nest. just sit back and watch the mudsharks come in.

Sept is too early for redd raiding, but later on you are right... I wouldn't bother the Slammin, I'd keep a look out for an egg-muchin Steelie or Brown hangin out downstreamof the Mudshark Loveshack.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 14:36:54 (permalink)
    yeah~ erie fish for bait.

Lyrical
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 18:46:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

if youre spotting fish, dont jump right into the water, cause if a female is sitting in one spot shes waiting for male in her nest. just sit back and watch the mudsharks come in.

Sept is too early for redd raiding, but later on you are right... I wouldn't bother the Slammin, I'd keep a look out for an egg-muchin Steelie or Brown hangin out downstreamof the Mudshark Loveshack.

sssshhhhh dont give him all the secrets!!!
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/06 18:53:54 (permalink)
    just watched the news, got forecasted for scattered showers all the way through the week til thursday and friday, then back to rain for the weekend.

Plus my great-uncle stopped over to my house this morning and said the **** kayakers demanded the river to be raised so they could go down a few weeks back. plus he said he seen 2 helicopters run the river a few times also. so who knows, im just hoping for a bit more rain so my well doesnt go dry.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/07 13:59:34 (permalink)
    Giant wads of red eggs under a float crush kings around these parts.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/07 15:18:10 (permalink)
    Waderboy I've heard that works well for kings in alaska as well.I guess that's why they often smack my wad of glow bug yarn that I snell on my hook
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/07 16:20:51 (permalink)
    Yeah I'm really hoping to catch a few salmon its been almost a decade since getting one on the end of my line. It would be sweet to meet up with someone up there with some local knowledge. Plus if anyone comes to Erie I know some deadly methods many of the guys even here don't know about.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/07 20:02:19 (permalink)
    Hey fish whisperer do you have a date set and reservations?I'll be up there in Sept a couple times and maybe we can get together,I'm not local as I'm from SE Penna. but I have been fishing up there for a long time.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/07 23:04:10 (permalink)
     -welcome aboard-
     Hey the ONE THING I have never done up there and wish I had done early on is to go on a Driftboat trip. The experience, river familiarity, and tips from the experienced Guide should be priceless. Not to mention the fact that you will be much more likely to find fish than simply bouncing around an unfamiliar place for the first time. Regardless of skill level.
     Wish I had done it decades ago- would have cut the 'learning curve' tremendously.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/08 09:26:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

your odds are much better on the OhSnaggo river...

if you intend to fish the SR estuary (which I won't), don't ferrgit to put some little styro balls in the sack to keep your presentation "in da zone"
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/08 11:39:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: waDerboy

your odds are much better on the OhSnaggo river...

if you intend to fish the SR estuary (which I won't), don't ferrgit to put some little styro balls in the sack to keep your presentation "in da zone"

drake where and when do you fish??? its starting to seem like nowhere and never JK...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/08 11:51:23 (permalink)
    da true&blue "bombers"
    know I speakz the truff..
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/09 22:43:56 (permalink)
    Guys, I'm also from western PA and used to fishing the streams around Erie for steelhead using a spinning set-up. I will be coming to the Syracuse area and stay the weekend on August 20/21st. Have never fished the Salmon river and was wondering if it's worth giving it a shot this early? If so, what should I target and where. Any help is appreciated. Your posts to fish whisper have been very helpful.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 08:43:18 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard-
       Although a lot of guys will post about past seasons in late August that had lots of fish the fact of the matter is that this time of year depends greatly on water Temp and flow for the Salmon to enter the river.
       Your trip is coming up very soon and so far this year is hot with  low water. It has just rained up there so hopefully that is changing rapidly as it always does this time of year.
       I have had years with little and years with lots of action in late August. If you stick to the lower river your odds will increase quite a bit. Although I havent fished there for some time if the Pay to Play DSR is open its the very best bet that early. Believe its bout $45 a day now. For that one early trip with all the other realted expenses that is still worth it.
       Personally I go a bit upriver to immediately below or above the small town of Pulaski. The ballpark area has plenty of acess and if the fish are running they will be there. Remember they may well run in small pods this time of year so an area having zippo happening can change very quickly.
      Good luck.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/10 08:44:48
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 08:55:56 (permalink)
    Hey swim; couple all of the previous posts with retired guys last post and id say there's not much more to be fed; even if it were with a soft rubber coated baby spoon but give it a shot. Because ya never know

Btw; welcome aboard
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 09:05:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

this time of year depends greatly on water Temp and flow for the Salmon to enter the river.

Actually RT - those factors won't keep the Slammins from running the gauntlet - when they are ready to run - they run - regardless of conditions (remember the drought year of 07?).

Water flow and temps will dictate how long the fish will survive in the river once they pass the point of no return.

When the Salmon run depends on how fast their biological clocks are tickin.

If no rains materializes this year - expect another bloodbath on the SR.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 09:31:47 (permalink)
    Correct Drake -however the Lake reports are still showing the fish being caught in somewhat deeper water with nothing being mentioned bout them gathering at the mouth of the SR or anyplace else- as is generally normal this time of year.
    No reports yet of guys watching them porpoise in the Estuary either. Therefore one would believe that this is to be somewhat of a 'normal' year - not the 07  unusual ocurance.
    Cause of that I would believe that SOME earlies will be entering in the next week or two on flowing water just like normal- but not a huge run yet. That being said its much much better than goin out looking for those darn Smallmouth.
      Last weekend there were NO bathing suit clad, sneaker waders, fishing  in the Needle  and THAT is my first indicator every year. Dont know who those guys are but they arrive with the first fish all the time. Dependable as a Democrat spending money.
       Will be up tryin again myself just before or after that weekend. Should be startin real quick now- that said it AINT October fishin.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/10 09:43:34
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 09:41:43 (permalink)
    Hello swim. While i see your a new name here you have been on the usa forum for a few.. Welcome and your million dollar question is a great one.. The guys all gave some answers now here is mine;
    DSR: while I love the place for salmon fishing I would NOT however suggest going there at that time.. Just aint worth throwin $45.00 with all your chips on red.. Now I'm talking the time your going.. Just go to some of the real lower parts of the river, ball park,staircase,black etc.. It's free and wont be crowded at that time.. Your chances of seeing fish are just as good.. Now in another 2-3 weeks from then.. Absolutly go to DSR..

Now retired guy is correct, temps,flows and even length of daylight trigger fish to run for the spawning grounds.. So far we have not had much good on any of those factors.. But there are always those outta the box (how I do db) fish that just wander in and that in itself can trigger other fish.. So really ya never know..

No Drake:
    07 not a whole lot went past the Black for some time.. Even dsr was a zoo and slaughter house..

Well good luck swim and if you would, Please report back if you go just so I dont always feel like I'm wasting my time typing.. That just my pet peave.

Good luck

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 09:54:33 (permalink)
    RT - as the days get shorter, the slammins get closer.

I realize some folks look at Al Gore's intrawebs each day to ascertain as much mudshark data as humanely possible - as they take a break from their day-trader hobby ,

butt

realistically the estuary can get packed up like a can of sardines and the feeshes still hold for several days, so in my humble opinion catching an "EPIC RUN" (<--- the quoted term is a trademark of D Barclay's Fish $$ Scam Business) is a crapshoot.

to the guy with the spin kit - if I was you, I would take a 1/2 hr ride to beautiful downtown Poolaski/Almar and check out the river just for the H of it, lots of public access parking areas.. If nothing else, it is a very nice ride - especially the upper strethes.

if you decide to wet a line and know how to bottom bounce (which I'm sure you do) use big fugly estazy comet type flies and keep your eye on the ball

p.s. - don't forget your splitshot..

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tips-newbie 2011/08/10 10:04:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

No Drake:
    Even dsr was a zoo and slaughter house..

Yes Drake - the dsr WAS the ZOO & SLAUGHTERHOUSE..
    re-read what I typed b4,

When the Fish R Ready, they GO.

Slammin Procrastinators are almost as accurate as the Weather Channel - and that ain't sayin much.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: