Sunday Hunting Conversation =

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 20:21:06 (permalink)
So since in this case non-hunters hold the same position as you, it all right for them to have a say, otherwise no?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 20:23:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

When 80% of landowners are against it and 50% of hunters are also against it someone is not listening.

Sources?
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 20:34:37 (permalink)

Because on this issue the debate is over as far as changing the position of the BOC but is far from over as far as the popiticans are concerned.

The vote was 4-3 with one abstaining just on them getting full control of what their responsibilities are.  Two commissioners leaving.  One from each side of the issue. 

I tend to believe the debate is far from over in that court.

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 20:46:31 (permalink)
So since in this case non-hunters hold the same position as you, it all right for them to have a say, otherwise no?

Not all non-hunters hold the same position as I do. Not all landowners are hunters. Your question has no merit.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 20:51:23 (permalink)
quote:

When 80% of landowners are against it and 50% of hunters are also against it someone is not listening.

Sources?

Many. and we have discussed them on here before. The farm Bureau is 80% against for one. Any hunter survey runs a vew points on one side or the other of 50% and that number has been extensively reported in outdoor magazines.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 21:01:05 (permalink)
If they are as prevalent as you say, then please guide me to the supporting documentation you are referencing.

Those are big claims to make and if you are going to make them, you need to support them.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 21:28:00 (permalink)
I can't believe you haven't read or heard the numbers. You have been involved in nearly every discussion involving the issue on the support side but here is part of one article

Farm Bureau to PGC: No Sunday hunting!

Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:00 am

By Bob Frye Capital Correspondent | 5 comments

Harrisburg - It wasn't ugly, but it was tense.

That's perhaps how best to describe the back-and-forth that went on between Pennsylvania Game commissioners and a representative of the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau on April 11.

Jeff Grove, local affairs representative for the bureau, testified before commissioners at their quarterly meeting in Harrisburg, most notably on farmers' desire to see deer managed on science and not politics.

But before he sat down, Commissioner Jay Delaney, of Luzerne County, had a question for him. What, he asked, is the bureau's latest stance on the idea of allowing Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania?

That did it.

Delaney, Grove and other commissioners spent the next 10 minutes like so many fencers, engaging, advancing, parrying, lunging, thrusting and - far less often - retreating.

A coalition of national and state sportsmen's groups - including the Quality Deer Management Association, United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania, Pheasants Forever and Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs - has set its sights on eliminating the last bans on Sunday hunting in the nation.

Pennsylvania is one of fewer than a dozen states with such a prohibition. The goal of the groups is to convince lawmakers to let the commission decide when - if at all - to include Sundays in hunting seasons.

Delaney said he is considering putting forward a resolution, perhaps by June, in support of that effort. The commission has always been neutral on the issue before.

Grove told him that the Farm Bureau remains opposed. Members made that clear when the subject came up at their most recent convention in the fall.

"Eighty percent of landowners do not want Sunday hunting," Grove said.

Not all of the commissioners like the idea either. Dave Schreffler, of Bedford County, said he worries it will lead farmers to post their land, as did Tom Boop, of Northumberland County.

"I'm telling you, and I'm telling this board, if the NRA and other organizations cram this down the throat of Pennsylvania landowners, there are going to be consequences," Boop said.

Others were more agreeable. Commissioner Greg Isabella, of Philadelphia, said there's room for compromise. Landowners could post their property against hunting on Sundays, he said.

post edited by S-10 - 2011/07/25 21:56:50
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/25 22:08:06 (permalink)
I was hoping you had a link to the actual survey that is mentioned above, which I have seen in just about every other media report compiled by the Sunday hunting opposition (also used by HSUS).  Other than knowing that it is 6 years old, there still is quite a bit to be desired regarding the specifics of the survey.  It would be nice to know who was surveyed, their stance on hunting in general, how many landowners were surveyed, whether they were PFB members or farmers, how the questions were asked, ect.

I have my doubts about the validity of the 80% figure.  I am just looking for information from the source, not from the media's interpretation of it.  If it is true, then so be it, but that doesn't mean I can't challenge the source's credibility prior to seeing it.

What about the polls that indicate hunters are evenly split on Sunday hunting?  While not by an overwhelming margin, most I see generally lean in favor of expanded Sunday hunting in the range of high 50 to low 60 percent in favor.
post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/07/25 22:12:50
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/26 16:24:18 (permalink)
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/26 16:48:35 (permalink)
OA, thanks for the reminder!  I am going to prepare a letter to forward to my local reps in the next week. 
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Sunday Hunting Conversation = 2011/07/26 18:11:54 (permalink)
Read a thread over on HPA and it was stated that there were 448 landowners who were surveyed to get that 80% of landowners against SH...

It would not be hard for the PFB to ask the right farmers(those against SH) and make the poll meaningless..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: