Why Do They Do It?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/18 23:15:58 (permalink)
This year I'm gonna set a trot line.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/18 23:22:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: retired guy

This year I'm gonna set a trot line.

although not a trot line; there are the guys who fish browns in oswego with an egg weight on the end of their line with a snap or 3-way swivel a foot or so up with a tail and hook with an eggs sack coming off the swivel. they let that rig sit in the slack water until a pig slurps it up and starts pulling.... god bless em; any fish they are catching is as legal as legal can get...
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/18 23:23:25
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 07:42:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

for c*rist sakes, the indians speared them for their needs...
remember being a kid and killing every ant you see; how about that fly that lands on you... do you kill him???? how about the guys that go bull frogging with 22 rifles???

The Indians also used big nets - at least they had the common sense to know that Salmon don't hit once they enter the river...

I liked ants as a kid, besides, frying grasshoppers with a magnifying glass was much more enjoyable...

How about that fly that lands on you?
It's been many moons since I've been in a bar at closing time

Bull Frogging - it's legal to shoot frogs - at least here in Pennsyltucky..

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 08:02:26 (permalink)
      Dja ever read bout those guys someplace in the upper mid West who have a pickerel- or pike- hunting season.
    Guess the fish come near shore at some time of year and these guys go out with their deer rifles and shootem.
   Whatever floatsyer boat I guess.
     THAT would be fun on the SR. Would sound like Gettysburg.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 09:08:19 (permalink)
That would be fun though, no?

Lyrical
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 11:59:15 (permalink)
    Maybeeee not fun to actually be one of the shooters  but can ya imagine the scene at lettttts say ---Tressel pool. One  ambulance standing by for each half dozen shooters.
    Brought up Gettysburg cause there would be a hundred shooters lined up on each side blasting away.
   Would hafta imagine it would clear the area of future snaggers cause they would definatley be right up front for the rifle season too.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 15:39:28 (permalink)
Bull Frogging - it's legal to shoot frogs - at least here in Pennsyltucky.

Not anymore, no more 22's changed the law a few years back....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 16:57:05 (permalink)
Bings,you must be bored that you're lurking over here now :)
Hey Drake how would you like to make a wager on your theory that Salmon won't hit once they come in the river.I fish the zones and 90% of the Salmon that I catch are hooked inside the mouth ,and I catch a bunch!These are fish that ran the gauntlet!!
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 17:31:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Bull Frogging - it's legal to shoot frogs - at least here in Pennsyltucky.

Not anymore, no more 22's changed the law a few years back....

you made me check the regs, you are correct, only bows now.

yet another stupid reg, I have not popped a frog with a 22 in a few years, that used to be fun.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 17:32:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Hey Drake how would you like to make a wager on your theory that Salmon won't hit once they come in the river.I fish the zones and 90% of the Salmon that I catch are hooked inside the mouth ,and I catch a bunch!These are fish that ran the gauntlet!!

What's the L I N E on the bet?

get it??

L I N E ?

bbbwwwaahhhh !!!!!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 20:32:14 (permalink)
since bull frogging is getting some attention here; im going to comment... although it must be pretty freekin hilarious to pop off some bull frogs with a 22 rifle..lmao...i honestly feel as if one would catch more with a string tied to a stick with a bass worm or a fly or even a small red and white bobber pulled all the way down to a bare hook i met a guy 2 years ago in altmar who told me about shooting frogs with a 22; i honestly dont know if it's still legal though...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 21:06:59 (permalink)
    Do ya hafta shoot them in the mouth or head to be doing it properly as opposed to a unsportsmanlike body shot ?  And is there a derogatory word for those who hit them in the body having no regard whatsoever to the guys around them who are trying for head shots?  ( trying to stay on topic)
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/19 21:09:30
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 21:32:12 (permalink)
Hey, the pike shooting season is in Vermont on Lake Champlain. I knew a bunch of guys that did it in the spring and in the fall went snaggin' at the SR. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?  The first time I went to the SR it was with one of these fools. I got the heck away from him, but was forced to watch for a little while. I did see a good fight break out.
If it wasn't for steelhead I would never have returned. Pike shooting is still legal, and people are still snagging. Less and less , hopefully.

Charlie

pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/19 23:15:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: pafisher

What's the L I N E on the bet?

get it??

L I N E ?

bbbwwwaahhhh !!!!!

How about $50.00,if I hook them in the mouth you lose and tell the board they will HIT!
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 00:45:45 (permalink)
Why?

When i was much younger I used to chase coho with a club, shot at them with a shotgun, and even grabbed them out of the shallows in the middle of the night.

Why? To get my hands on a fish--we do what we do because we want what we want. And at the time I valued the thrill of the fight, the  admiration of my friends, the expression of sheer adolescent lunacy more than I valued sportsmanship and law. Why else? People want THAT FISH!

Reasoning: I have traveled 12 hours to get here and paid for a license.
Weakening: Sleep deprivation, booze , pride.
Justification: I deserve a fish, they are going to die anyway. They don't bite anyway. Maybe I will even throw him back.
Action: Fish On!
Denial: No, I didn't lift!
Anger: You are a warden? Dude! We just shared a sandwich!
Bargaining: It was just once, my first time. Really. I won't do it again.
Depression: The wife is going to kill me when she sees this fine.
Acceptance: Did the warden leave? Well, maybe just once more.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 02:39:32 (permalink)
guys- please continue. This is getting pretty fun now.
Beagler- good post.

as you can see there is no crying from me except drake thinks they dont get snap happy. Jeebus.
Why shoot fish that want to eat everything? sounda fun tho.
leave the poor froggies be.

Lyrical
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 06:57:37 (permalink)
Beagler - that is funny chit,,

Back in the crazy days of my youth, I recall a camping trip where we used 12 ga shotguns to "fish" a small brookie stream, then at dusk we had a skeet session with the bats.

How we never wound up getting arrested or shot is anyone's guess.

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 07:17:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

as you can see there is no crying from me except drake thinks they dont get snap happy. Jeebus.

The SLAMMIN's do get snap happy,

- when Xpurts raid their redds,
- when they are force fed a backtrolled plug,
- when PAFisher lines them right in the mouth,,,bbbbwwwaahhhhh!!!!!!!!
- when Coho's chase a cheesedoodler fly 50, no make that 100 feet, across multiple seams of Doougieland...

I would love to mount a few underwater cameras in the LFZ (a.k.a. PAFisher's Holy Land).
At times there are so many fly lines dangling in the water via the "shoulder-to-shoulder" Orvis clad nitwits that the sun's rays cannot penetrate to the river bottom.
Yup - right in the mouth!!! bbbwwaaahhhhh!!!!

I honestly don't care if every fish was hooked in the motor. I have no aspirations to become a DEC Deputy Dog, would never call their 1-800-RAT-LINE. The SR Salmon run is a man-made pescatorial cash regsiter - it is what it is.

Slammo - stop fishing for Cohoes like you are fishing for Pa trout and you too will hook up. It's a darn shame you don't like the cold weather, the real biters show up in #'s when the snow starts flyin..

later.

I just laugh when the "true believers" cannot admit that 95% of their catch was lined...

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 07:19:19 (permalink)

and is there a derogatory word for those who hit them in the body having no regard whatsoever to the guys around them who are trying for head shots?  ( trying to stay on topic)

how bouts

"frogicidal maniac"

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 10:37:05 (permalink)
Hey Pafisher - if you come up in Sept for the DB get-together, I would like to fish with you.

No zones though...

How bouts mid-river?

pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 12:04:21 (permalink)
Drake,IF there is any water and some fish I plan on being there,with the summer we are having that's a big "IF".
As far as where to fish that'll depend on where if any fish are,however at that time the "snaggers" will not be lined up shoulder to shoulder so I might be tempted to fish somewhere other than the "zones".
Question for you,if the hook is inside the mouth on same side of fish that I am standing do you really think it is lined?Another,do you really think a streamer could pass through a fish's mouth and get hooked inside the mouth on that side?
I have seen Coho and Kings move to a streamer and HIT it,yes they hit.
Why is it that color is sometimes important if they don't hit?If they are being lined any color will do.
I also thought that they would n't hit until a cousin of mine proved to me they will if you fish for them.That was 25+ years ago.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 12:26:14 (permalink)
Seriously about the salmon biting.

I never claimed that there are no instances where a slammin will bite.
I stated that probably 95% of the salmon hooked in the mouth are lined, and I also think 95% of the fishermen either don't know it, or won't admit to it - for whatever reason.

As far as the age-old question of "Why did the streamer cross the Salmon's mouth?",

it all depends on the angle/force of the hookset, the degree to which the salmon's gaping mouth was open, the sharpness of the hook, the fish's position when it was lined, the angle of the hook when it enters the salmon's mouth, the water currents,,etc.etc,etc. Many factors involved.

Q: Why is color important?

A: So the folks fishing above the DSR can spot the "decorated fish" without the need for polarized sunglasses.

Hope you make it up to DBland.
We need to fish and party a bit.
Since it looks like there will be no "Summerfest" this year, we just got dropped off that invite list..

later.
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 15:44:03 (permalink)
I'll be there if there is any water/fish.You can then observe my lining technique and then we can party.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 16:45:55 (permalink)
I'm ready to fish.

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 20:28:30 (permalink)
folks, remember; we're talking sept. 18th now ... i dont see why anyone is thinking that this early

i think the 18th might be one of my most consistent weekends for me. i often end my salmon season around this time; but wait; thats right, i'm a dsr snob when it comes to salmon

its great to hear that a few of you guys are committing though. im looking forward to it
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 21:12:10 (permalink)
DB is right on about the time frame.. Sept 18th is a good one for lower river and some of my strongest catch rates give or take a week around then.. Dont know about being done with them, usually the week after columbus (zoo time) i make the switch to trout and or tenderloins..

Funny how the time just rolls on and dates become obscure.. Right now I'm looking into some brookie trips in Sept and at least hoping to get some salmon fishing in..
We will see.. The Nastier the weather the better chance for me on the river.. Going from 30 some days of salmon fishing a year to just trying to plan a day or 2 ..

I Don't Know, Why do You Do It ?
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 22:46:09 (permalink)
Dime and Tuna- I got to DSR  the following week for years and generally did reasonably well.Usually round the 24th to the 26th.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/20 22:47:43
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 22:52:16 (permalink)

Dime and Tuna- I got to DSR  the following week for years and generally did reasonably well.Usually round the 24th to the 26th.

throughout the years; i think i can recall a good run of fish in dsr for all weekends from 3rd week in august to 3rd weekend in october. but i have brought salmon to hand as early as the 12th of august ... but 3rd week of sep is usually a hot shot down low
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/20 22:54:16
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/20 23:11:52 (permalink)
    Believe you fish a lot lower that I did.  Always went in straight from the big stairs ( after they DSR came to be) and fished the South side of the island at first light then up in the deeper runs along the South side later.
     Some  mornings there was nothing up and I mean NOTHING - We'd stay till 11 or so and hit LFZ or a new place in between and sometimes return  hoping for an evening run.
     Only had bout 2 and a half days a year back then so had to maximize our chances.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Why Do They Do It? 2011/07/21 09:56:46 (permalink)
The weekend we picked is prime historically. Hopefully drake will learn us some things.

Lyrical
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: