catch and release-

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 06:25:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: waDerboy

So I quess we'll never fish together then.
Your loss!

considering you can only snag a fish from a DSR rock, your statement holds true...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 06:29:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Talk about SPIN how does ag tax breaks and farm leases relate to the MASSIVE $'s made off the fishing enterprise?---don't carry much inventory--empty the truck everyday

SPIN?? - there was no spin.

The ag tax breaks/farm leases are relevant to the DSR Fish Scam operation.
They must be considered when calculating allocated overhead expenses pertaining to the ,,as you put it, "barely break-even operation".

waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 10:50:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Your loss!

Have not been able to afford the gamble of the DSR for years.
Never much of a bowler anywhere on the river.
The fish keep biting before I can set the hook in them.
Frickin fish.

considering you can only snag a fish from a DSR rock, your statement holds true...

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 14:19:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Your loss!

Have not been able to afford the gamble of the DSR for years.
Never much of a bowler anywhere on the river.
The fish keep biting before I can set the hook in them.
Frickin fish.

I offer up an apology to you..

sounds like you fish elsewhere during autumn - where the Fish actually BITE...
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 21:16:19 (permalink)
I'm still struggling to comprehend how the farm credits and leases(which would be there anyway) r a part of this huge money maker---never claimed it never made money---just that there were yrs(told to me in conversations) where it was just about break even.I would think DT would support this venture---isn't that how his conservative cronies do bizz?

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/07 23:17:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

I'm still struggling to comprehend how the farm credits and leases(which would be there anyway) r a part of this huge money maker---never claimed it never made money---just that there were yrs(told to me in conversations) where it was just about break even.I would think DT would support this venture---isn't that how his conservative cronies do bizz?

Metal, not that I really want to dwell on this,,,

but since you are struggling to comprehend the big picture,

take it another way -

the DIRECT COSTS to operate the DSR = PEANUTS...
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/08 04:29:59 (permalink)
So salmodrake is in for every day of our outing on the dsr I take it? After all this free publicity he's providing they just may give him a week pass.

Basement is doomed. That place sleeps with the fishes, though nemo did just mail me a box full of gear. Maybe it's a sign he needs me to perform another reckoning? Could be.....
post edited by salmotrutta - 2011/07/08 04:44:02

Lyrical
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/08 06:51:17 (permalink)
ask Nemo - WTH is my mag?
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/08 21:24:13 (permalink)
   Was up the last coupla days putzin around the place and doin chores. Went to UFZ and saw lotsa fishes. No bites but several chases and turn offs. Was just as good to see that happen.
  Think they are eating nymps (sp?) can see them turn now and then and grab stuff. Next time am bringing those brown thingies that look like a little stick. I heard some kinda bug makes itself look like that to fool fishes but the fishes are too smart and eat them anyhow.
Either that or I could fish like the guy who I watched from the woods who didnt know I was there. His line went PLOP real loud on each toss and lift. It had two big slpahies too.  One for the fly and another about 18 inches back HMMMMM.
He changed style when he saw me and for the whole time I fished upstream from him. I went to his spot after he left and there were two there with rips on their backs.
  Hey--went to pickup a fly that I dropped and there it was- as I bent over- Mr snake.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/08 23:58:55
wednick
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/09 13:19:01 (permalink)
So im new to this forum, but ive lived in pulaski all my life (except my 4 years in the military) and ive fished the river since i was 5. But growing up in pulaski and seeing the fishing go from snagging, to lifting, "flossing" and now conventional (highly skilled) fly fishing for salmon, trout, steelhead and the occasional waders of a snagger, ive done it all and will be the first to admit my young immature days seen me do bad things.

Now on to C/R... i have a hard time wrapping my head around C/R for fishing in the SR, maybe lowering the limits yes but not complete C/R. But i never would wanna see complete catch and release due to the fish cleaning stations, my great uncle has owned one for almost 30 years and ive cleaned alot of fish for the money to buy new gear. Ill admit i eat fish, and i kinda have a bit of pride in eating what i catch, but i dont keep everything, my freezer is full of venison and 1 king from the lake that is due to be smoked next week.

So before i keep rambling on and on, ill just say this, C/R may never happen, if it does will i go with the rules, absolutely, im 26 and far more mature than my snagging days at 12. I think that it is up to us, the good guys to encourage C/R, ive told alot of people to throw back some fish especially steelhead and atlantics just so i can keep fishing in my hometown when im retired.

Cheers Gentleman.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/09 22:09:20 (permalink)
Nice to hear from ya Wed-
This is a great place to be if your into the SR as you certainly are. Some good folks on this forum.
  Went from single hook snagging to 'artful lifting' myself. Did that stuff for quite a while, Now am more or less reformed and doing it the "right" way- its a lot more fun and rewarding.
   As Tuna indicated- its easier to C/R when ya fish there a lot compared to the guy who  can just get up for a coupla days a year. That in mind its NOT a religion for most of us -just a manner of doing things -most of the time.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/09 22:38:36
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/10 14:03:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Was up the last coupla days putzin around the place and doin chores. Went to UFZ and saw lotsa fishes. No bites but several chases and turn offs. Was just as good to see that happen.
  Think they are eating nymps (sp?) can see them turn now and then and grab stuff. Next time am bringing those brown thingies that look like a little stick. I heard some kinda bug makes itself look like that to fool fishes but the fishes are too smart and eat them anyhow.
Either that or I could fish like the guy who I watched from the woods who didnt know I was there. His line went PLOP real loud on each toss and lift. It had two big slpahies too.  One for the fly and another about 18 inches back HMMMMM.
He changed style when he saw me and for the whole time I fished upstream from him. I went to his spot after he left and there were two there with rips on their backs.
Hey--went to pickup a fly that I dropped and there it was- as I bent over- Mr snake.

Retired,those fish that you saw on the UFZ,were you able to ID them?
Lotsa Atlantics,Skams,Browns?
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/10 14:05:37 (permalink)
In 2 weekends I may be able to fish Sat- Tues time frame. If there be big fishes let's hit it!
post edited by salmotrutta - 2011/07/10 14:06:27

Lyrical
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/10 14:23:02 (permalink)
Its kinda like a philosophy of different types of fishermen up here, a) you got the guys who fish for 2-3 days to catch their limit fillet and freeze their fish for home, b) you get the sport guys who just fish for the fight of the fish and dont keep anything, and c) you got guys like me who throw back more than they keep but also enjoy keeping a good fish to grill, fry, or smoke but also have the luxury of going wherever whenever.

This place is on the verge of borderline madness from september to the middle of november, the stories i can tell, have heard, and the most important part... the fish ive seen is definately something that needs to be preserved, sure theres always gonna be the people who ruin the area due to ignorance, the snaggers, and the litter bugs. But its a small group of people who wanna see this fishery still flourish in 30 years that say one thing and hope it passes through to someone who passes it on to so on and so forth.

So C/R may be needed at say a 3:1 ratio, release 3 keep 1. Sure you can release one at the black hole and that fish may not make it to the hatchery. But we can always hope that they dropped there eggs or fertilized some eggs before they were filleted. Can this be adopted by every person around, probably not, but hey maybe a small voice somewhere gets through to someone.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/10 21:25:41 (permalink)
They were Atlantics Palfisher-
   One of the pair rose and came out of the water quite a bit and gave me a real nice look.
Saw a number of others who were unscathed  and believed they were probably Atlantics as two more came up and mostly out for a nice look but then I cant be sure of the ones who just moved around.
  Aint this place great. A real adult fun house.    Must admit though that  Skamania might get by me as am not very familiar with them.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/10 21:27:21
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/11 02:36:02 (permalink)
Skate some Big Flies for dog's sake man! In 2 weeks I believe I will be in town to get a proper skunking. Who's in?
Chance for an Atlantic, or just watching them jump around? Yeah, it don't get no better...

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/11 07:43:24 (permalink)

They were Atlantics Palfisher-
  One of the pair rose and came out of the water quite a bit and gave me a real nice look.
Saw a number of others who were unscathed  and believed they were probably Atlantics as two more came up and mostly out for a nice look but then I cant be sure of the ones who just moved around.
Aint this place great. A real adult fun house.    Must admit though that  Skamania might get by me as am not very familiar with them.

hey rt; good to hear buddy. i've yet to test my luck up there this summer being that ive been up with the kids and have a lot of work everytime i'm up. i'm up again this weekend and maybe; just maybe i'll get a 4:45 am shot at one of them. i'm think cone headed wooly buggers or leeches in a smaller #6-10 presented with a down stream drag free/dead drift...
one other pointer; if you are seeing them, that means there are probably more that you're not seeing. you should try to ignore the ones you see and just work maybe a 100-200 yard stretch from the upstream down... maybe every four-10 drifts take a few steps down. keep repeating this and you might just get one to strike. switch flies each time through as well. also, start with a short cast from each point and fininsh with a few long ones so you evenly cover the water without spooking a potential striker. also, don't be affraid to let your line go straight down stream from you for a few moments; maybe even throwing an upstream mend or two in it before casting again (giving the fly a little action)good luck

hey salmo; good luck on your trip; id come that weekend instead if i didn't have a wedding to go to... oh well
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/11 08:32:05
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/11 09:02:55 (permalink)
does it really matter to your if the WB is coneheaded or beadheaded?
Just askin since you specified...

I agree with your description of using the grid system to cover the water - and to always start close in,,, sometimes really close in.

As far as letting your line just hang straight downstream, I've had fish hit a fly as it bopped up and down in inches of water, while I had the rod tucked under my arm while I lit a smoke. Talk about the "non-perfect drift" - but it sure excites them sometimes.

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/07/11 09:07:28
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 09:23:21 (permalink)
Had a similar experience Drake.
     My ONLY hit from an Atlantic happened a month ago when a fella came over to shoot the breeze a bit while fishing. I held the rod in my left hand with the line having straightened out downstream for a while while we jabbered.
  After a while SLAM. Missed it of course. Fly  had apparantly been laying there  a few feet from shore and had been wiggling around while we talked.
Mimicked that a lot on my last trip up and had one come out of the water right at the fly but didnt take it.
   Was using dark Spey flies both times. Had a coupla passes last time using a large streamer and a very small black fly. Still wanna use Caddis next trip- think that may be a good one.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/15 09:27:24
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 19:18:10 (permalink)
Im hitting the UFZ first thing for a few casts, you know get warmed up for fall, ill report anything i see. And seems though this is a Catch and Release topic i will be taking my fly box with the barbs snipped off so i dont hurt the fish to much, and i will not post pics due to as soon as they are off the hook theyre going back in the water.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 19:44:41 (permalink)
Nick, if it's an Atlantic, you gotta snap a pick of it in the water. Won't take but a few seconds.   Good luck!!! Get one!

Charlie
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 19:47:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wednick

i will be taking my fly box with the barbs snipped off so i dont hurt the fish to much,

that's another wive's tale that I don't buy into..

IMO, it is a Namby-Pamby PETA-like justification from the kindler-gentler angler ranks.
Your sticking a fish in it's face for your own personal chub - get over it.

I'm not bashing you personally wednick, you made the mistake of drinking the TU Koolaid.

p.s. - Barbless hooks are almost as retarded as the replacement of felt to stop the spread of microscopic didymo organisms. It's a half-arse idea.

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/07/15 19:54:53
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 19:55:20 (permalink)
i will fichy.

but what dont you believe drake?
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 19:59:03 (permalink)
Come on Drake- no barb= smaller hole & easier to unhook, esp.  if it's in the boney part of mouth, or a foul in the skin.
I've never lost a fish because of no barb, and I fish all barbless. After you crimp it there is still a bump to keep from backing out.
However, Hooks made barbless is a thing I don't do much though. They can cartwheel and throw the hook....
post edited by salmotrutta - 2011/07/15 20:00:02

Lyrical
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/15 20:23:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Come on Drake- no barb= smaller hole & easier to unhook, esp.  if it's in the boney part of mouth, or a foul in the skin.
I've never lost a fish because of no barb, and I fish all barbless. After you crimp it there is still a bump to keep from backing out.
However, Hooks made barbless is a thing I don't do much though. They can cartwheel and throw the hook....

if its a theory or not i snip barbs on hooks for when im C/R or in ufz/lfz. common sense to me says if theres a barb its gonna hurt. hell ive been in the lfz and actually cut the hook to let the fish off just because it was in deep.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/16 06:23:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

That's why God made needle-nosed pliers,,,

hemostats for the "more cultured" anglers....:)
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/17 10:19:23 (permalink)
HEY---
   Was reading stuff bout barbs on a hook today. Yes I can read- comprehending is another story.
  This guy made the point (sic) that a barb can hang up on a hard mouth and prevent the hook from setting beyond the tip  leading to the fish getting off quickly.
   Now ya gotta understand I am the WORST hook setter in the world- just dont ever rear back to SET a hook- just lift the rod a bit- so I often dont get a good set and I know it. Aint gonna change at this point ( sic again).
    The writer said he always pinches the barb a bit to allow for a deeper hook penetration which leads to more fish staying on and not  being lost quickly- Steel came immediately to mind here.
      The point ( again) is one I may well remember and use later this year. Of course the release thing is there too.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/17 21:06:46 (permalink)
makes some sense_ esp. if you use cheap hooks. Dem steels have a boney mouth. The pic I posted the other day when I tailed it the hook fell out almost. upper inside of mouth has that deep spot and it never did sink home. The result was the same though!

Lyrical
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/18 06:17:01 (permalink)

Now ya gotta understand I am the WORST hook setter in the world- just dont ever rear back to SET a hook- just lift the rod a bit

Bad practice - you will lose the fish of a lifetime one day because of it.

Bend that rod and sink that hook deep.

RT - did you load your gun with rubber bullets during your LEO career?
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: catch and release- 2011/07/18 07:11:22 (permalink)
Gun ????
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: