Crystal River

Author
BugDrifter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/07 09:43:03 (permalink)

Crystal River

Wondering if anyone has done any fishing in or around Crystal River, Fl. Heading down for a few days in May and looking to get some fishing in. Have attained some info off the web, but looking for some first hand experiences. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Bug

5 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Crystal River 2007/04/08 08:35:15 (permalink)
    Bug,
    The wife and I fished the river the last week of Jan. for trout and reds. As usual the only day we could go a cold front came thru and it was to rough to fish the gulf and although I didn't mind the 55* temps her cuz who took us out froze .LOL
    We used shrimp under popping bobbers and got some small trout, but mostly just enjoyed the scenery.There are tons of guides in the phone book down there.
    Mike
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Crystal River 2007/04/08 08:41:43 (permalink)
    Thanks F.C., hopefully its a little warmer than 55 when I head down. Have access to a skiff so am going to try and  do it on my own. Looks like I'm going to be in the middle of Tarpon season as well.
    Bug
    dipseediver
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Crystal River 2007/04/08 18:57:43 (permalink)
    These guys are pretty nice on this board.
    They should be able to help. I used to own some property down there in Homosassa.

buff

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=112
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Crystal River 2007/04/09 16:41:55 (permalink)
    what kinda fishing are you looking to get into? salt or freshwater?

if your looking for some nice bass action there is a lake just north of crystal river named lake Rousseau that has some real pigs in it. if you want to do some "catching" i suggest trying the inglis lock picnic area at the outflow of the lake. that place is crazy, all you have to do is cast a fluke up and let it drift, bam. i can safely say i never caught a bass out of that outflow that was under 3lbs. or if you have a boat the lake has tons of hydrilla, coves etc...

if your lookin for some salt action and you have a boat usually around the power plant is a good area or the canal coming out of that lake i was taking about, its brackish and there are a ton of sail cats but it holds a good variety of fish. you shoudl be able to find some cobia around the power plant and now is the season for the reds to be on the flats.

check out the forcasts at floridasportsman.com. its pretty much the go to on whats going on around the state.

word of warning, there are a good amount of gators in the fresh AND brackish water in that area. if you plan on wading crystal or rainbow rivers keep a dam good eye out. i was fishing the inglis lock once and about 40 feet away was a 12 foot gator. one second he was there, next i looked over and he was gone. needless to say my fishing ended at that point. remember they can come 1 and 1/2 thier body length out of the water at up to 35mph.
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Crystal River 2007/04/09 16:51:40 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the info guys. I'll probably be fishing reds mostly. Tarpon if I have time. As for the gators, I've had a runin with one on the west coast that made me appreciate them a whole lot more. Your'e not kidding about them being fast.

Take care,
    Bug
    Jump to: