Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/21 08:08:01 (permalink)

Troutslammer in 'TOTGA'

Troutslammer in ‘The One that got Away’

With his Gilligan styled fishing hat and stick figure frame in baggy chest waders, Troutslammer was great entertainment on Father's Day.

In this episode Troutslammer took the spot light. It was almost as if I was watching a silent movie in real time.

I watched as Troutslammer stood there, hunched, looking intense. His fly rod bent into the middle and a tight line aiming deep towards the water falls. It was as if he had a snag but wasn’t yanking on the rod to dislodge it. He began to slowly tug the rod back and forth trying to pry whatever it was on his line to move.
I watched, as whatever it was, started to move out from the falls downstream like a waterlogged saw log rolling along the bottom depth. TS just hung on as he watched his rod and line move downstream with this unseen creature. I know I asked him what he had on but he was so engrossed in his catch he didn’t answer me.
TS cautiously stumbled along the round rocky shoreline following the saw log. The saw log stopped in the deepest pool of water as if waiting for TS to catch up. When TS positioned himself across from the deep holding fish and applied side pressure is when the saw log came alive. With underwater tugs, pulls and with the rapid turns being so fierce beneath, it caused turbulence on the water surface. TS stood his ground trying to get the creature under control but by the looks of things it might take awhile. I had my camera ready to shoot an action shot but TS never stood still long enough for a non-blurred picture. After time it looked as if TS had him under control as the creature rose from the depth.  (applause!)
From my position it looked like a dark rainbow because of the maroon color I was able to distinguish from the subsurface fighting fish. TS assured me it was a brown, the biggest trout he ever caught in his life. TS had his net ready as he tried to steady his rod hand and arm up to bring the big brown in.
“I ain’t going to be able to get him in the net” He commented over and over again.(Though he spoke i pictured the words at the bottom of the screen)
I stood helpless as I watched the 2 foot wild brown turn sideways than shot away from TS’s net back into the deep water. (WooooW!)
Line shot through the rod guides towards the angry trout. The trout decided to take the fight downstream and muled his way down creek with TS in tow. He stumbled along the rock ridden shoreline until the water got shallower enough, about thigh high, that he could enter into the water safely. They tussled a bit but it was obvious to me TS wasn’t gaining much more control or confidence as the big fellow decided to take him into the shin deep shallow riffles.

I knew this wasn’t going to end up well! I laid my rod down on the bank and started to follow the action at a slower safer pace.

The fish headed for the far bank as if it knew the water channeled deeper after running over a rock shelf. TS practically ran across the water, stumbling now and then, trying to keep up with him. Next thing I seen was the trout splashing about in the shallows, still trying to get away, as TS would stoop down now and than trying to net the escaping trout. (Splash, splash!)
Nearer the far shoreline, around some outcropping of bigger rocks, the trout found deeper water to hold up in. When TS got to its location he found the trout had looped his leader around the big rocks. (Oh no!)
TS line went slack as he got nearer the trout but because the trout was leashed to the rock it couldn’t get free and started to thrash around. (Thrash, thrash!)
Next thing I know is TS let his rod fall behind him, on the stony bank, as he got on one knee trying to scoop up the helpless leashed trout. I seen splashing about and the trout broke free and tumbled into the strong current that emptied into a bank-side deep pocket. TS stood there, angry and in disbelief. (Sob, sob..)

Troutslammer had a good day pulling out some nice size wild brown trout on Sunday with nymphs. We hoped to get into some dry fly action but it wasn’t until just before dark that I managed to hook into the sporadic risers. The brook trout I got on dries didn’t match up to the lengthy brown trout TS had caught earlier. Over all it was a great day to be out fly fishing in the cool water in central PA. A creek neither of us had fished for some time.

Thanks Jim for the entertainment and you definitely owned the day!

__________~doubletaper

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/06/22 07:47:58

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

7 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/21 08:37:32 (permalink)
    Wow!! Sorry ts, maybe next time..:(
    It looked like a great stream and again Jer...great read...:)

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/21 09:37:00 (permalink)
    Nice

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/21 11:32:57 (permalink)
    Wow! I'm spent just reading that!

Some days you get the trout...some days the trout gets you. Sorry, 'Slammer.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/21 17:30:50 (permalink)
    I've fished with troutslammer and have yet to see someone who fishes as hard or concetrates as much. No wonder he's so skinny.He sure puts the effort in.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/21 21:11:56 (permalink)
    funny part of the whole excapade was when i fumbled nervously back up to the falls 5 min or so later after i tied on another tandem rig the same as the first one i lost in the bruiser's lip. i casted up into the falls a few more times lifting the rod as the pair of nymphs came toward me. All of the sudden WAM i got another take but i immediately knew it was alot smaller fish i played him out and steered him to my net. To my surprise the 15" wild brown had the pair of nymphs hanging out of the corner of his lip !!!!! All i can figure is that the big HOG had to swim back into the water fall which was 30 yards or so upstream of where he broke me off and while he was swiming with the nymphs hanging out of his mouth another trout grabed the dropper fly.I kinda pondered on the way home if the big trout had lost the rig to the stream bottom then i assumed if a trout picked it up then it probably would have swallowed it like fishing worms on the bottom. What a day and it was jerry's idea to head east for the day and my wife telling me to enjoy "my" day ! I owe a great day to both of them !!!!
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/22 11:50:23 (permalink)
    Nice.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Troutslammer in 'TOTGA' 2011/06/27 15:31:54 (permalink)
    That stretch on that creek is one of my favorites. The big ones there don't come easy. Nice job, Jim.
    Jump to: