Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/29 21:41:30 (permalink)

SNAKES-- YUK

hate snakes- just hatem .

With that said had some for pets when was a kid-even a 5 foot rat snake, he got real tame. Also had a milk snake  and a puff snake that looked like a copperhead when he spread his head. He scared the carp out of everyone. Those two never bit and were always tame right from the time caught.
The ones I really hate are those darned water snakes though- they are snappy  to the bone and bite like crazy if they feel cornered at all. See them regular on the SR in warm months.  Mostly they just move off when approached but always watch the rocky areas and wood piles kinda close when summer fishing. Got a lotta little garden snakes in my yard up there too- they are ok.
Bring this up cause guys are talking bout copperheads on the SR on the other Forum and are going back and forth a bit on it. Now we got copperheads and timber and eastern rattlers here in CT and when I used to go to  northern PA a lot we had rattlers- but northern NY ?  Just dont know for sure.
Could somebody who KNOWS their snakes tell me--
  Dont try to tell me if ya cant tell the dif between a nice pink new skinned water snake and a copperhead or if ya heard it from a guy at a watereing hole.  LOL.
BTW does anybody know how to change this font-
OK got it now -new fangeld contraptions

post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/29 22:08:31

50 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/29 22:37:43 (permalink)
    RT - you only have timbers and copperheads in CT.  Eastern diamondbacks most northern range is southern North Carolina.   Some timbers absolutely have diamond shaped designs on their backs, but they are not eastern dbs...

Just fyi as ID can become important if anti-venom is needed.  I do not know if timbers venom has the same characteristics of easter db.

I've seen a few snakes in the upper fly zone in July.  No poison however.  Let's keep it that way !

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 09:43:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys- appreciate the info. Glad there is one less in CT than I thought.
         Checked that site  and find that NO we do not have copperheads around the SR.- Wonderful --  but we DO seem to have some kinda rattler I never heard of before that is said to inhabit wetlands North East of Syracuse - GREAT.          Almost sorry I even asked now but better to know than to guess.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/30 09:44:45
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 18:19:42 (permalink)
    That was a new one on me too- guess if I'm gonna get bit it may as well be by something unusual and different-makes a much better campfire story.( if ya live through it)
     Perhaps thats why they call it God's country up there-every time ya see someting ya have to scream  'what in God's name is THAT'.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/30 18:22:58
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 19:37:42 (permalink)
    We have a few Massaugua here in Pa. mostly in swampy areas, eastern Mercer, and eastern and northern Crawford Counties.  Very very few, they are critically endangered here. Also endangered in New York

The link below has a range map for the Massasauga or "swamp rattler"

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7154.html

As far as timber rattlers, SR is a little far north with less preferable habitat. I used to live by the PA Grand Canyon and we had them thick there. There is also a rest stop on I-86/NY Rt 17 near Corning New York that gets closed every year for a while because of the snakes.  I had a permit to hunt and take one in PA but never did. I always carried my friend with me though. Ther eis one stream near the canyon that the rule is cast, then look, cast, then look...

Timber rattler fact sheet with range map: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html

Copperhead? I would almost rather be bitten by a rattler, but again, SR is too far north for them as well.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44646.html

Now of course we all have heard stories of snakes and scratched our heads and said, "How did THAT, get THERE?" But by and large there is no real threat around the SR.
    post edited by cbeagler - 2011/05/30 19:39:27
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 20:13:48 (permalink)
    i live in new jersey and believe it or not there is a state park 15 minutes from me that is loaded with copper heads and timber rattlers... i used to love hiking this area and straying off of trails to make it to highpoints that i would plot based from a topography map. it's been years now since i've gone to that extent due to all of the darned snakes i encountered. i actually prefer running in to the timber rattlers because they are less poisonous and they also let you know that they are there. the straw that broke the camels back for me was the copper head that was in striking pose that i almost backed up in to while observing a NYC view from 1000 ft. up; but luckily heard its hissing tongue at the last split second i could of and took off...

now, i'm not a snake expert at any means, but i do know the habitat in the salmon river region is nothing like this moutnainous/ appalachian area that i am familiar with. i'm talking solid rock with certain areas basically not even having any trees or growth due to solid rock... and btw; those darned things love sun bathing on an early spring day on those hot mountain sides...

with this being said; i doubt a copper head or rattler would frequent our "GODS COUNTRY" at all... i've yet to see one, but yes; i have seen tons of black or greenish nasty squiggly snakes along the banks and grass beds...big ones too... check out the salmon river hatchery throughout the summer and theres usually a a big old black snake sprawled out on the rocks right at the spill gate... and man, i would hate to get bitten by one of those suckers...

but as CBeagler said, you never know what you can find out there; so an antivneom kit would not be a bad idea...
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 20:40:39 (permalink)
    post edited by cbeagler - 2011/05/30 20:41:48
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/30 21:34:56 (permalink)
        Hey Beagle-
        -Thanks much for that map- it shows the darned things are NOT at the SR- Close but NOT there.

Dime-
        Have been in close situations with copperheads and timbers here in CT but the scariest darn thing ever for me was  one of those  common bitey snappy darned water snakes. They NEVER just bite once they are the eveready bunnies of the snake world. They just keep biting and biting and biting---
        Was Brook Trout fishing one day and went to sit on a low rock in mid stream. Well ya know when you are at that point when sitting down a little too far when your on the way down and probably cant quite stand up again?
          Thats about the time I glanced down at the rock and saw a water snake curled up on it with its head up ready to bite my whatevers.
          Missed the rock with an imposible contortion -snake tried but missed me and we both got very wet in opposite directions.
           For 50 years since I have ALWAYS checked when sitting in the great outdoors.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/30 21:47:53
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 07:54:04 (permalink)
    One thing we got going here is timbers venom is not near as potent as some of the western rattlesnakes.

cbeagler - why would you rather be bitten by a timber than a copperhead ?

dimebrite - copperheads more poisonous than a rattlesnake ? Never heard such a thing. Expand, if you could please.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 08:45:32 (permalink)

Almost, if I had to make a choice, if I were pressed I would probably say the rattler. One herpatologist I met was bitten and spent a month in the hospital. Neither is pretty, and I have met plenty of guys in the hills who have been bitten by rattlers. Some went to the hospital overnight, some were in for a week, One guy got bit two years in a row--the second one almost killed him. Another man spent a couple of days in bed and was fine after that. The copperhead supposedly does less tissue damage, and I have seen rattlesnake bites that look like someone took a blow torch to the skin.

No doubt any of them can do some serious damage and even kill you. But with other things it seems that people have different reactions sometimes.

I carry a Sawyer Extractor with me when in snake country. In PA I also carry a pistol with snake shot. If I get bit I am bringing that thing in with me so that if I am out they know what the devil bit me.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 09:36:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite
    I actually prefer running in to the timber rattlers because they are less poisonous and they also let you know that they are there. the straw that broke the camels back for me was the copper head that was in striking pose that i almost backed up in to while observing a NYC view from 1000 ft. up; but luckily heard its hissing tongue at the last split second i could of and took off...

I wouldnt prefer getting bitten by any snake :) but i prefer running in to a rattler;)The rattlers will let you know they are there; while the copper heads will let you know only by striking. As for venom; to my knowledge a copper head is more venomous than an eastern timber rattler; im going to have to look it up myself now.

I've also found the eastern timber rattlers to avoid human contact and flee when encountered. The copper heads I've encountered have always held their ground and usually were ready to strike...man I hate those creatures
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/05/31 09:46:10
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 10:32:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

I actually prefer running in to the timber rattlers because they are less poisonous and they also let you know that they are there. the straw that broke the camels back for me was the copper head that was in striking pose that i almost backed up in to while observing a NYC view from 1000 ft. up; but luckily heard its hissing tongue at the last split second i could of and took off...

Dime, are you certain it was a copperhead? There may be some copperhead in the area that you described. I have personally never heard one hissing, but two other snakes that mimic the copperhead do. One is the Eastern hognose, it will flatten its head and hiss--but it is harmless. It also has similar markings as a copperhead. The other is the eastern milk snake--it will make a racket also and start shaking its tail like a rattler would--it is also marked similar to a copperhead. The milk snake will raise a welt like a bee sting if it nips you--they are generally ill tempered as well.

Since you had your camera, did you get a picture of it or just run? 
    No shame in just running.
    post edited by cbeagler - 2011/05/31 10:34:25
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 11:35:08 (permalink)
        When you look down at the Hognose from above you will seed that its eyes are NOT hooded as they are with the poinsionous vipers. Hognose make great pets and dont generally bite ya. When seen in the woods curling up and hissing loudly with that flat diamond shaped head they make to imitate the copperhead they can scare the hades outa ya. They generally hiss loudly as they flatten out their heads and curl up in a strike pose.
    The Milk snake is a very pretty snake- as snakes go- with bright colors. The pink makes folks think they are looking at a new skinned copperhead a lot- they are actually constrictive and when made a pet they can curl up on our wrist and stay there for quite a while just hanging out with ya. The smaller ones dont bite much and tame down pretty quick just like the hognose does.
    Had a large Milk come through the yard a year or two ago and it was snappy as all get out.
    The rat snakes are pretty big but dont bite much either but get confused a lot with the black racers that bite like crazy.
    When we were kids we chased em all down and kept them for pets till we figured they really needed to feed on wild stuff again. Then  we letem go and went out for a new thingie for the cage.
      Used to wear thick leather gloves for the catch and when the tamed down went to bare hands.
      I know what your thinking---- we were kids--- and, kinda bored.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/31 11:49:10
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 12:10:37 (permalink)
    I spent plenty of summers chasing snakes as a kid too. I caught a black snake when I was living in the mountains and put it in my woodpile. They eat rattlers.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 12:23:08 (permalink)
    Hey cb; no camera actually and this was before the camera phone revolution...lol... but regardless, once I turned and made eye contact with that monsterand saw him in striking pose; I ran about a 10 second hundred meter dash over boulders and terrain. I actually ended up spooking a timber rattler on the way back down. My friend and I whistled and created lots of comtionon our trip back to scare any others away. I love this park; itscalled Ramapo reservation; it actually has native brook trout stream that runs through it(who would've thought in bergen county nj ); but the snakes have kept me out in the past 6 or 7 years.

Btw; it was a very faint/silent hiss it was making; I don't know if that means anything???? Im sure it could've been one of the other 2 you mentioned; I've seen one other snake in this area that I believe was a copper head; this one held its ground and was eager to strike; so stayed about 15 feet away from it. This snake also had a faint almost silent hiss... im ok if I see the snake first and have the time to take caution. When surprised though; my arse is out of there quick...

On the other hand; im heading up to gods country this weekend. Hey RT; probably friday and saturday evening I will be swinging some buggers to those atlantics you saw; my goal is to get something from the salmanoid species from the river this summer; whether it be an atlantic; steelhead, or brown.... but you wont see me complaing about a smallmouth :) if anyones going to be around it would be my pleasure to wet a line one evening. Tight lines...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 14:06:41 (permalink)
    Dime- when you hear the hiss watch the snake for a while. Those hognose eventually will put their head back into shape and loose that wide appearance of a copperhead. Agitate it a bit again and if the head widens and the hiss comes out again--hognose. Wigleing a finger in front of it will usually agitate it quite nicely.

btw-thanks for the heads up on Atlantic fishing-probably wont get back up till bout 3 AM on Sat 11th till sometime Mon the 13th.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/31 16:31:04
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 17:53:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Wigleing a finger in front of it will usually agitate it quite nicely.

Uh, I would want to make REAL sure before I did that.

Dime, have I seen you post on the Erie board? Name sounds familiar.
    I am in Erie 9Fairview) now and getting ready to move to Sayre. I haven't been on the SR in 3 years. Getting close to it again.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 18:26:19 (permalink)
    I second that cb; I keep my distance with most snakes... yes cb I post from time to time i post on fish erie, fly tying and fly tackle forums. How far from salmon river will you be? Im 4 hours myself but try to get up 1-3 times a month. There aren't as many members here as the pennsylvania forums, so your contributions will be appreciated and out of the steady posters here you can acquire some great knowledge of the area.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/05/31 23:28:57 (permalink)
    I will be in Athens, PA. near Sayre, between Elmira and Binghamton, NY.Moving there beginning of July.
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/01 14:18:53 (permalink)
    heres a site that gives you a bunch of information about venomous species of spiders and snakes. its http://www.venombyte.com/ Cool feature is you can list the different species by state.

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/02 22:13:53 (permalink)
    Near Bridgeport there is a Place called Rattlesnake gulch, it is part of Cicero Swamp.  It is home of the massasauga rattlesnake.   I have a friend who went to SUNY ESF and the a constantly studying them.  I have been to the swamp and seen a few on a trip with my friend.  I never got to close.   The rattle is pretty scary in person.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 07:32:01 (permalink)
    Good to hear from ya clint; I hope none of those rattlers are making their treck up north to salmoncountry:) there are a lot of beaver swamps in the region here. You never know...
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 10:12:19 (permalink)
    the area i grew up in, in western pa has rattlesnake swap and a buddy of mine owns a property where they they trap and study them every year... when you lift that piece of plywood up and that rattle goes...yep it will scare a little drop of pee out :P
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 11:09:46 (permalink)
    Little drop---HA--If I ever lift a sheet of plywood and hear a rattle the snake wont even be able to see me through the pile I leave behind.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 14:38:18 (permalink)
    We got these guys running around the property. Gopher (bull) snakes. Some say they get up to 8ft. biggest I've seen was about 5ft. The saying goes if you have bull snakes around, they keep the rattlers away. I miss running the dogs everynight. I won't do it til fall because of the ratlers in the sage now. Don't want the pups to get bit.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 14:42:32 (permalink)
    yea saw one of those in arizona that was all of 8ft
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 15:46:33 (permalink)
    My lady friend likes them around the house (outside). She swears she does get ratlers in the house anymore because of them. For some reason the rats would like to hang out in her kitchen. Sm Praire rats, 18-20" critters.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1257
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/03 16:20:41 (permalink)
    Im so afraid of snakes any kind it took me 2 hours and alot of soul searching just to read these posts!!!!!!!My heart is beating i wouldnt nee anti venom i wouls need a cardiologist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icenut(Bill)
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/04 12:26:09 (permalink)
    I was wet wading a few summers ago, standing mid stream and concentrating on my drift.

I felt something on my leg - thought it was a piece of vegetation that floated downstream and got stuck on my leg.

I looked down to see a huge water snake wrapped around my leg and staring up at me - I guess the snake thought my leg was a tree stump.

I WALKED ON WATER, made it to shore in 3 steps, all the while THRASHING and SCREAMING like a SCHOOLGIRL!!!!

The snake let go, plopped on shore and we both exited the stage in opposite directions..

I gotz a bad case of the eebie-jeebies that day...

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: SNAKES-- YUK 2011/06/04 16:07:24 (permalink)
    was it mating season?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: