Here We Go Again

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/16 10:20:41 (permalink)

Here We Go Again

The weekend couldn't get here fast enough. Having been grounded by Mother Nature for three weeks, I had a score to settle with a creek that was none too kind to me (or my vehicle). The beautiful weather of the previous three days had me restless...eager. It was Spring Fever on steroids. Here we go again!

Saturday I fished all day, in between raindrops. Went to a really popular spot and was surprised to see nobody there. So I strung up the rod and trounced on down. Three casts into it, I cast the 4-wt into a dark, murky abyss. As my fly line drifted lazily to the bank at my feet, I was alarmed as it suddenly darted back into the center of the stream. I quickly lifted the rod.

FISH ON! Monster fish. Bohemeth fish. Troutzilla!! One leap...Two leaps...Three leaps. Holy guano! I've never caught a fish this large before! He made a huge run to the opposite bank, turned, and came straight to me. I thought I was about to have my first "Had me into my backing experience." He nearly made it to shore, bolted for the center once more, and with a final leap, "TINK." Snapped my leader.

I stood there, incredulous. I went through the laundry list of things I did wrong: Too much line, not enough line. Fought too hard too soon. Didn't give him line when he jumped. Muscled him when I should've played him. Reached for the camera when I should've had both hands on the rod.

Then I stood there, ANGRY, piercing the quiet forest with "ARRRGH! You dummy!" (Okay, I didn't use the word "dummy," but there are women and children on this board).

Fished the remainder of the day with no success. Decided to head back to the truck and go back to that first spot. Fished my way out of the creek. Turned to leave. Slip...slip...Fred Flintstone...SPLASH! Here we go again! (Parenthetical: Yes, I have the screws to put in my boots. No, I have not done it yet. Ergo, yes, I am a moron.)

Trudged up the hill to the road. My wrist was throbbing. I must've landed on it. At that moment, Dad was pulling up to park. "You wanna ride?" "No...I'm wet. I just fell in." "Here we go again!"

Went back to camp, parked the truck. Called a couple guys to find out if OC was still a go. The wife called...forecast was lousy so I decided to forego the trip. I told her about my day. "Well, for God's sake don't go fishing tomorrow!" She had a good point. 30-some years of fishing and I'd never fallen in the creek. Now I'd done it on two consecutive Saturday outings. I've never been one for superstitions, but I thought it best to not tempt the fates. Didn't need another tree to fall in the forest.

I sat at the kitchen table this morning, gazing out the window at a gray, gloomy sky, pining for another chance at "Murph." I've never named a fish before...seems rather "On Golden Pond"-ish. My wife came downstairs and asked, "Whatcha thinking?" I made a "ten and two" gesture with my arm.

"Oh God!" she groaned, "Here we go again!"

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

8 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/16 10:24:59 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the 'curse' you seem to be having lately Syd... but....

I must be a bad human being... because I have to admit I did chuckle when reading your renditions of the days events!
    We've all been there, or close to there at some point... but it sure seems you've been 'there' a LOT lately!
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2011/05/16 10:28:56
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/16 10:36:12 (permalink)
    Syd ...sorry about your luck...but now you really can talk about the one that got away..lol
    O...ya...carry spare cloths..haha

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/16 20:51:39 (permalink)
    ok syd how big was it ? was it a trout ?
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/16 20:51:54 (permalink)
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/16 23:31:19 (permalink)
    Syd? Wondered where your were on the NASCAR picks? Guess you were too wet to play. LOL Go back after that fish! Big fish like big flies! Try a 3-4" bunny leech fished deep.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/18 06:50:29 (permalink)
    Still to cold to be swimming yet Danny.

One good thing getting all that bad Mojo used up in a couple trips you should be golden for the rest of the year.

I know when I was having my string of bad luck it sucked, I almost sent Dr Trout a PM to ask him to please quit puttin pins in his Bing voodoo doll.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/05/18 08:59:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

Yes, a rainbow. As for size...I wouldn't want to hazard a guess, TS. Just a big honkin' feesh.

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Syd? Wondered where your were on the NASCAR picks? Guess you were too wet to play. LOL Go back after that fish! Big fish like big flies! Try a 3-4" bunny leech fished deep.

Yeah, Jack. No internet at the cabin. I was going to have my wife post them for me, but she wasn't home last weekend, either. Gotta get me one of them new fangled interweb phones.

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

One good thing getting all that bad Mojo used up in a couple trips you should be golden for the rest of the year.

Your lips to God's ears, Brother! People are going to start giving me a Snoopy pole, a bobber, and a chair.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

3magic
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Here We Go Again 2011/06/03 05:04:21 (permalink)
    post edited by Admin - 2011/06/03 07:42:28
    Jump to: