Controlled Burn ===

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 16:12:54 (permalink)
BT.. I'm not sure (memory) when it was fenced.. off the top of my head it seems to have been fenced for a long long time I can't remember it not being fenced... it's part of what DCNR has labeled the lone start project and that's been there as long as I can rememebr they just add to it every now and then.

They have alot of fenced areas and many are designed for different purposes... I'm waiting for a reply to share about this particular burn..

S-10... there ya go with the "tin-foil hat" stuff again... please refernce where you read that ..

When you consider that generally they use herbicide, lime, and fertlizer inside the enclosers along with some seedling plantings in addition to sometimes burning and generally outside the enclosures they do not.

I already mentioned that they do differ things to see what results they get.. but I have NEVER read they purposely do different inside an exclosure and outside.. and try to say they didn't.. that would be just plain silly....

I know of areas that they did use lime and others fertilizers.. but they did the whole clear cut then put up the fence.. that way they can show even what adding lime did inside compared to what adding lime outside DID NOT do... you know comparing apples to apples...

now if you can post where it states they purposely did not treat the outside as they did the inside please post it .. other wise that statement is just more of your BS tryng to pass your opinions off as facts.............

even on RSB tours in June he'll talk about liming the area and it still did no good before the fences were placed...
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 16:15:16 (permalink)
Not a vey good afternoon for pictures but I'll get few of the area I am talking about... it's only 3 miles away.. I wish the sun was shining, so everyone could see there is sunlight getting to these areas..... LATER
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 16:35:30 (permalink)
Ya see dars needs all that mumbo-jumbo and all I need is to use common sense and look inside fences and then look outside... and realize something is wrong/different ....much simpliar...

If it is just common sense, can you tell us how much further the herd in 2G has to be reduced in order to get good oak regeneration without fencing? If the answers are simple why didn't the forester know why they couldn't get adequate regeneration in that exclosure?

The simple fact is that there are many factors that are limiting oak regeneration in established stands and there interrelationship is so complex the experts are still looking for the answers. But, there is one factor that is often over looked and that is that the natural progression of a forest is from shade intolerant species like oak to shade tolerant species like maple, beech and birch. Therefore trying to get an oak stand to regenerate in predominantly oak , is working against mother nature.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 17:11:08 (permalink)
S-10... there ya go with the "tin-foil hat" stuff again... please refernce where you read that ..

I posted the actual procedures the DCNR has for just that the last couple times we argued about it. Did you forget already or just hoping the rest of us did?
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 18:09:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

In that particular section I would have to say the only way for re-generation of a valued species would be planting... It even gets sunlight.. everytime I ask the forester he just says "we don't know why " ... interesting ...

One thought I have is wondering about a big gas line that runs thru it buried in the ground ?????

But DCNR says " no" ..

So, if the forester doesn't know why the area didn't regenerate as expected, and because the deer were controlled via being fenced out and therefore were obviously not a factor with regard to regeneration, then would you agree that it is possible for other elements besides deer to have an adverse impact on regeneration?

Where are you going with this?

Danes,

I originally wasn’t headed anywhere with the questions, I simply wanted to know why they were doing a controlled burn in an enclosure that had been used for a deer impact experiment.  Nothing less, nothing more.  As I stated, inquiring minds want to know.

However, when Doc answered with the information from the forester that they did not get the regeneration that they had hoped for and they had no idea why, it raised more questions.  One of those questions was – if deer were eliminated from the possible contributors to non-desired regeneration (please see my other post concerning the design of the experiment so that I don’t need to reiterate it here), then what exactly, in singular or combination, was leading to the non-desired regeneration – whether that non-desired outcome was a non-desired mix of species, amount of growth, etc.  In other words, if the deer were not primarily responsible, and that is what the experiment results says and if the experiment is not deemed flawed, what is causing the problem?

It all goes back to the DOE (design of experiment).  Looking at it in generic terms, so that one cannot say but what about this minute thing or that once-in-a-blue-moon situation by bringing specifics into it, let’s say that there is a condition that is non-desirable and the experimenters wish to determine the root cause.  A typical way of going about that determination is to use a fishbone diagram that places possible causes on the rib bones of a fish.  Typically these fall into what is known as the 4 M’s – man, material, machine, and management.  Obviously, those would need to be renamed here – man becomes animals, material becomes the plants, machine becomes the environment, and management becomes anything that steps away from nature just taking its course.

Under each of those categories, possible causes of the issue are listed.  As an example, under the animals, deer, rabbits, and other herbivores would be listed; under plants other competing species would be listed; under environment soil quality, sunlight, water, etc. would be listed; and under management logging, permitting old growth, controlled burn, etc. would be listed.

To design the experiment then, each of the viable causes is isolated and becomes the sole variable.  The experiment would have a control area, and preferably areas, that had whichever element that was being studied in a normal population/condition as the control group (in other words nothing changed) and an experimental area that had that element removed (if it was deemed detrimental) or added (if it were deemed lacking).  By conducting the experiment in such a manner, the difference between the control area and the experimental area determines the affect that the studied element has on the cause.  This should be done with each possible root cause in order to determine which were contributing to the non-desired outcome.

If that portion of the experiment did not yield conclusive results, then the experiment needs to go further and use a matrix that creates combinations of possible root causes and the experiment starts over.  This is done until a Pareto graph shows the top few causes of the non-desired effect.

Once those root causes are known, the corrective actions are developed to mitigate those issues.

What seems to have happened here, however, is that deer were considered the only plausible root cause, so they were the focus of the experiment – something that is often done when time and/or funding is an issue.  From the results of the experiment, it seems that the deer were not the root cause of non-desired regeneration, at least in this area, because when they were removed (please see the other post which posses questions pertaining to whether the experiment designers considered the deer that did get in as significant or not) the area still did not revert to the desired regeneration and the forester was left saying that they didn’t know why it did not.  The experiment removes the deer as a possible cause, so it has to be something else.

However, presuming the outcome of the experiment was going to point decidedly to deer, a corrective action, reduce the number of deer, was put into action before the results of the experiment were compiled and proven, again, at least in this area, that deer were not the sole or even the primary cause of the non-desired regeneration.   It would seem that by not waiting until the experiment ruled the deer in or out as the root cause, the corrective action was in error.

Again, when I asked the original question, I wasn’t headed anywhere.  I still am not.  I am just trying to understand the logic, or perhaps lack thereof, of the DOE and the possible premature corrective action.

Most of the DCNR fences don’t have anything to do with an experiment. Nearly all of their fences were constructed to exclude deer so they at least had a chance of getting some regeneration after they did a cut.

None of the professional resource managers I have dealt with over several decades ever suggested that deer were the only issue affecting regeneration. That is just the spin the never enough or too many deer crowd keep trying to put on the topic, in order to discredit the professional resource managers. The professionals have always known there were many factors, besides deer, that have an adverse affect on forest regeneration. But, they also knew that it was impossible to evaluate or even try to address any of those other limiting factors until the deer populations were first brought into balance with the habitat.

Fences were one way to get some valuable information on some of those other limiting factors before the deer populations were reduced but the fact still remains that most fences were simply put up to give a new cut a chance to regenerate where the deer populations were still too high.

Some fenced areas still don’t have good regeneration for a number of reasons but many other areas came back with great regeneration as soon as the deer browsing was minimized. Some fenced areas would have actually come back with a more desirable forest component if there had been some deer inside the fence to control the pioneer species.

The resource professionals recognize that a healthy forest needs a balanced deer population to help control some of the species that deer like to eat. But, the key is to have the correct natural balance instead of extreme high numbers many hunter want and demand.

R.S. Bodenhorn
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 18:44:03 (permalink)
Some fenced areas still don’t have good regeneration for a number of reasons but many other areas came back with great regeneration as soon as the deer browsing was minimized. Some fenced areas would have actually come back with a more desirable forest component if there had been some deer inside the fence to control the pioneer species.

Would you please list the number of reasons why some exclosures don't have good regeneration with zero deer.
The resource professionals recognize that a healthy forest needs a balanced deer population to help control some of the species that deer like to eat. But, the key is to have the correct natural balance instead of extreme high numbers many hunter want and demand

Have the experts determined the deer density that is needed to achieve the ,"correct natural balance" ? Is 8 DPSM in 2G enough to achieve that natural balance and if it is , why is 2G the only WMU where forest health is rated as poor?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 18:57:47 (permalink)
I put my road trip results on a page and a thread by itself for all to see, many may have already stopped looking at this thread
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 19:02:19 (permalink)
I posted the actual procedures the DCNR has for just that the last couple times we argued about it. Did you forget already or just hoping the rest of us did?

and nothing you have EVER posted stated they purposely lime inside a fence and not outside it.. you're making that part up... and we all know it...

nice run-a-round try...
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 19:02:52 (permalink)
the key is to have the correct natural balance instead of extreme high numbers many hunter want and demand.

R.S. Bodenhorn

I'am not sure how you could make a statement like that when the PGC really doesn't have a handle on how many deer are in Pa so thay can't quantify (extreme high numbers) or even be sure deer are currently the problem. When the estimate varience for a WMU can be, and is as much as 100% from high to low (extreme high numbers or OVERABUDENCE) is nothing more than PGC word play with no real (scientific) meaning and we are supposed to be all about science, remember.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 19:09:43 (permalink)
and nothing you have EVER posted stated they purposely lime inside a fence and not outside it.. you're making that part up... and we all know it...

nice run-a-round try...

Your forgetting that the reason for all this HR was they had to fence all their cuts to get any regeneration, Remember, spin doctor. BTW-- how much controlled burning did they do OUTSIDE THE FENCE at Clear Creek? Go back and read the procedures and the steps they take and the order in which they take them. Fence is spelled "FENCE" in case you need help comprehending them.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 19:43:08 (permalink)
Me spinning what a JOKE...

I simply want the source you stated when you posdted.. that DCNR..

generally they use herbicide, lime, and fertlizer inside the enclosers along with some seedling plantings in addition to sometimes burning and generally outside the enclosures they do not

I can't even begin to believe you think they would lime a small area after it was fenced and not treat any of the surrounding cut area... that's just silly...

but if that's what you want to believe.. I'm not going down that path again.. if folks want to believe you on that point so be it... I'm done til I see the link saying the purposely lime inside a fence and not outside it..
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/19 19:46:05
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 19:57:10 (permalink)
We go through the same s//t every time. Everytime you get proven wrong you and a couple others wait a few weeks and then start the same thing all over again. I've posted that info at least three times to prove my point and You can do what you want. Even in your postings on Clear Creek You show burns INSIDE THE FENCE ONLY and talk about other treatments INSIDE THE FENCE so you know what is going on on but don't want to admit it. The DCNR has established and posted procedures for fencing and various treatments for inside the fences and we both know it and by now I think most folks on here also know it.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 21:02:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

Would you please list the number of reasons why some exclosures don't have good regeneration with zero deer.
The resource professionals recognize that a healthy forest needs a balanced deer population to help control some of the species that deer like to eat. But, the key is to have the correct natural balance instead of extreme high numbers many hunter want and demand

Have the experts determined the deer density that is needed to achieve the ,"correct natural balance" ? Is 8 DPSM in 2G enough to achieve that natural balance and if it is , why is 2G the only WMU where forest health is rated as poor?

There are many reasons for poor regeneration of areas where deer are excluded. Some of them are poor soils, poor seed base, competing invasive species, too many years of excessive browsing, repeated hot fires damaging the soil, lack of fire in other cases, frost pockets, rock outcroppings, etc. I’m sure there are many others and a host of combined affects of the above and others not listed.

The deer experts don’t need to make the determination about how many deer are correct for the habitat since the deer and habitat are already telling them how many the habitat can adequately support over the long term and they are making adjustments based on the facts the deer and food supply provide.

The greatest mistake ever made in deer management came from listening to the demands of people like you and some of the other hunters instead of listening to what the deer and their food supply have been trying to tell us for decades. It is refreshing to see professional managers finally doing the right thing by letting the deer and habitat dictate the direction of deer management. It has been proven time and again that trying to appease hunters with more deer doesn't result in more deer or happy hunters in the end.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
post edited by RSB - 2011/05/20 15:46:07
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 21:47:57 (permalink)
It has been proven time and again that trying to appease hunters with more deer does result in more deer or happy hunters in the end.

R.S. Bodenhorn

I would agree

PER the PGC---You get your greatest sustained harvest of deer at approx 60% of maximum carrying capacity.
Per the PGC---The buck kill is a good barometer of the status of the deer herd.

1999 buck kill-----194,368
2000 buck kill-----203,221
2001 buck kill-----203,247

Hummmmm

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 07:01:20 (permalink)

Ya see dars needs all that mumbo-jumbo and all I need is to use common sense and look inside fences and then look outside... and realize something is wrong/different ....much simpliar....

The same rain hits both areas and the soil is basically the same in both areas...and even on a clear cut that parts get fenced the same sunshine hits it all at the same rate.. that sure narrows the field to what the differences are...

you also have to remember that clear creek is DCNR and they have to manage the "future" forest differently and for different reasons than the PGC manages the SGLs...

All that mumbo-jumbo as you call it is an accepted research method.  Perhaps if you took the time to read and understood the concepts instead of dismissing them you would start to ask questions rather than swallow whatever PR someone is trying to spoonfeed you.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 08:11:13 (permalink)
The greatest mistake ever made in deer management came from listening to the demands of people like you and some of the other hunters instead of listening to what the deer and their food supply have been trying to tell us for decades.

Actually the exact opposite is true. The PGC has been ignoring or denying what the deer have been telling us about the carrying capacity of the habitat for many years. While the experts have told us for years that the habitat could never support 1M PS deer, the 1.5 M PS deer in 2000 proved they were dead wrong. Furthermore, since breeding rates and productivity didn't increase as the herd was reduced ,proves that even with 1.5M deer, the herd was still below the MSY carrying capacity of the habitat. And,since regeneration hasn't improved in 2G with just 8 DPSM, it is obvious there are other significant factors limiting regeneration besides over browsing by deer.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 09:59:59 (permalink)
Even in your postings on Clear Creek You show burns INSIDE THE FENCE ONLY and talk about other treatments INSIDE THE FENCE so you know what is going on on but don't want to admit it.

Bull... you are always trying to state and make people believe that the PGC or DCNR treats the areas inside fences and not outside, then uses those areas to promote the showing of deer damage.. that is NOT true and you know it.

You take info like I just posted or you see on their websites and make it into some sort of conspiracy theory. What I am saying is the different things that DCNR is doing inside fences to get stuff to grow... they are doing it in the poor fenced areas and NOT trying to show case those areas as example of how deer exclosures work.... there are plenty of fenced areas that are doing just fine without any treatments...

Our local club along with the local water shed assoc is treating parts of the SGL (with their help and permission) with lime along the tributaries running into the North Fork to help keep the PH at the proper level... No one is going to showcase those areas as a natural environment, but because of the lime the tribs are getting a better PH and with fewer deer things are starting to grow along the tribs, BUT believe me it is expensive...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/20 10:08:02
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 10:13:09 (permalink)
. Perhaps if you took the time to read and understood the concepts instead of dismissing them

I dismissed them because I knew that they did not apply to deer exclosures. As RSB stated the main reason for the fences is to keep deer out and promote re-generation.Trying to make it into some sort of statistical research program is silly... Anyone can see that 90% of the time the fenced areas do great in re-generating themselves without outside interference or help. I was simply showing what is ALSO being done to help the poorer areas ""where nothing is growing of value".
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/20 10:27:22
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 10:19:46 (permalink)
Here's a page I made on an area of clear creek that was cut in 2004 and I posted each year after until 2006... This area did AMAZING and even the outside area has improved... in fact DCNR is currently INSIDE the fence removing all those big tree they left in 2004 when the cut was firt made...
This area is about 2 miles from the road trip pictures I just posted..

http://drsems.tripod.com/headwaters.html
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 12:40:42 (permalink)

. Perhaps if you took the time to read and understood the concepts instead of dismissing them

I dismissed them because I knew that they did not apply to deer exclosures. As RSB stated the main reason for the fences is to keep deer out and promote re-generation.Trying to make it into some sort of statistical research program is silly... Anyone can see that 90% of the time the fenced areas do great in re-generating themselves without outside interference or help. I was simply showing what is ALSO being done to help the poorer areas ""where nothing is growing of value".

That is why I specifically made the second post generic in nature -- so that you would understand that it does not need to be specific to deer and you can use that information for the formation of applicable questions about anything.

I guess it is tough to read with blinders on however.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 13:33:13 (permalink)
Anyone can see that 90% of the time the fenced areas do great in re-generating themselves without outside interference or help. I was simply showing what is ALSO being done to help the poorer areas ""where nothing is growing of value".

Can you back up that claim with a link to a report that shows that is true or is that just your personal opinion?
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 14:18:54 (permalink)
     Deer arent much different than fish in regard to carrying capacity- Yea you can allow far too many  into a system and the fishermen are all happy but when they get to the point where they have depleted the food supply suddenly CRASH.
  That CRASH can happen almost overnight- in one season- and takes everyone by surprise except the professional who generally has been warning all along to mute ears who are happy with the many fish- Remember what happened in the Great lakes with bait fish. All was fantastic then BANG.
      Deer numbers can be huge and the environment can carry them and all are happy -till that one slow growing season, then--------
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 14:58:51 (permalink)
Deer numbers can be huge and the environment can carry them and all are happy -till that one slow growing season, then--------

But that has nothing to do with what happened in PA. Even with 1.5M PS deer our herd was still below the MSY carrying capacity, which is 50% below the max. CC. Our herd was in no danger of crashing in 2000 when the HR plan was implemented.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 15:22:29 (permalink)
Deerfly--
Wasn't talking bout that or making an opinion on that - - not my business there- just a comment bout the controlled burn stuff and fenced control areas and how deer, or any other plant eating critter for that matter, may have a role when in too great a number for the environment.
   May agree with some of the PA herd management stuff but have decided to stay away from it, too many hard feelings going on there.
   BTW- your post on EVELAND bout kids makes sense- If you wanna teach a kid to fish ya gotta takem where they catch fish otherwise they go play some kinda ball. Hunting------
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/20 15:34:34
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 16:07:45 (permalink)

But that has nothing to do with what happened in PA. Even with 1.5M PS deer our herd was still below the MSY carrying capacity, which is 50% below the max. CC. Our herd was in no danger of crashing in 2000 when the HR plan was implemented.

What Retired Guy post actually has everything to do with and is exactly what happened in many parts of Pennsylvania and specifically the big woods forested habitat areas relative to the most recent deer herd crash.

Your comments are nothing but your opinion and are not supported by the facts as provided by the deer themselves or their food supply. In much of the state the deer herd was only growing through the late 90s and early 2000’s because we were having a run of good mast years with virtually no winter. That allowed for higher than normal fawn recruitment and abnormally inflated deer populations. But, when the back-to-back harsh winters hit there was higher than normal winter mortality followed by several years of extremely low dawn recruitment. That is exactly how deer populations crash or reduce their own numbers when their population is not kept in balance with the existing over winter food supply. Nature only allows for deer populations to reach those abnormally high levels during periods of ideal environmental conditions, but then reality comes along and those abnormally high populations are naturally reduced to the levels that nature can sustain. That will happen with or without hunter harvests but when hunters don’t remove enough deer the food supply becomes even more stressed and the crashes result in even lower populations that take even longer to recover the next time you get a run of good environmental conditions. That is simply how nature works and nothing is going to change that fact.

R.S. Bodenhorn
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 16:29:39 (permalink)
I can't even begin to believe you think they would lime a small area after it was fenced and not treat any of the surrounding cut area... that's just silly...

Since they fence in 90% of all cuts and fence ALL CUTS where they are trying to get Oak regeneration (which is what your area is predominate in)exactly where is all this surrounding cut area being treated you are talking about.

Also, according to this report your claim of great regeneration success on 90% of the enclousers seems a bit suspect. They are having problems even without high deer numbers, And this is all in the area you claim to be the expert on.

DMAP Unit Reports
DMAP Unit 313 (10,656 acres including Clear Creek State Park)
This area is a part of the Allegheny Plateau at the border of the Pittsburgh Low Plateau and the Allegheny High Plateau. The area is generally characterized by relatively level areas deeply cut by stream valleys. Mixed oak forests dominate, with some scattered white pines throughout and hemlock stands on the north facing slopes of stream valleys. Due to the maturity of the forest in combination with tree insects and diseases, timber-harvesting operations are very common in this area. Parcels where the overstory trees have been removed are scattered throughout the area. Access to this area is good with many gated roads open during rifle deer season. Management goals for the area are to promote a diverse, healthy natural habitat, increase wildlife species diversity, reduce the need for fencing to establish desirable regeneration, manage for a balanced deer sex ratio (1:1 buck:doe), maintain or improve hunter satisfaction, reduce deer browsing on native wild plant species and to reduce the deer pressure to the point where the forest will persist and function into the future.
This area was selected as a potential DMAP area through the examination of several different criteria. Much of the data was collected in the form of browsing impact and pellet count plots. Current WMU 2F doe tag allocations and timber sale activity in the area was also considered. Some of the key data includes:

The foresters have seen some recovery starting to occur within this unit. They are currently not fencing some sales, especially those heavy to black cherry. Nearly all sales with oak regeneration must be fenced. The district
currently maintains 1400 acres of deer exclosures in Woven Wire fences in this unit. Over the past 10 years, 1800+ acres of forestland have been harvested for timber, forest age class structure, and wildlife management goals. We have plans to conduct 1000 acres of additional timber harvest in this area over the next 5 years. Currently, 90 % of timber harvests in this area must be fenced to ensure forest regeneration and sustainability.

The species diversity of trees, shrubs, and wildflowers occurring in this area are greatly reduced from those that should naturally occur. The foresters have seen more wildflowers and an increase in species diversity, but not to a level that is acceptable or expected.

Competing vegetation is an obstacle in this unit. Only 14.5 of 476 plots would regenerate without some treatment. 87% of the plots were affected by competing factors and would require some treatment to ensure regeneration in the event of a disturbance, even with low deer numbers.

2009/2010 overwinter pellet count data indicates a low to moderate level of deer abundance. Though this data is not sufficiently accurate to be relied on as a measure of the actual deer population it is our most easily measured indicator of actual deer presence on the landscape. Based on this use the population has remained fairly stable since 2005.
Taking all of these factors into consideration, the District will request DMAP tags
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 18:02:22 (permalink)
Your comments are nothing but your opinion and are not supported by the facts as provided by the deer themselves or their food supply. In much of the state the deer herd was only growing through the late 90s and early 2000’s because we were having a run of good mast years with virtually no winter. That allowed for higher than normal fawn recruitment and abnormally inflated deer populations.

That is absolutely not true!!. Table 2 of the 2002-2003 AWR shows that the herd in 2G was at 14 DPSM in 1999, which was 1 DPSM less than the goal of 15 DPSM. Due to the high antlerless harvests, the herd in 2G was then reduced to 12 DPSM by 2003.

At the same time the herd in 5C was at 19 DPSM which was over 3 times the goal of 6 DPSM and hunters in 5C still harvested 15.39 DPSM in 2010,which proves that the PGC's deer density goal for 5C was absolutely ridiculous.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 19:02:15 (permalink)
Competing vegetation is an obstacle in this unit. Only 14.5 of 476 plots would regenerate without some treatment. 87% of the plots were affected by competing factors and would require some treatment to ensure regeneration in the event of a disturbance, even with low deer numbers

IMHO that blows DT's claim that 90% of the fenced plots were successful,without treatment, completely out of the water. It is just another example where opinions of PGC supporters are trumped by the facts.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 20:37:10 (permalink)
okay this is where I was wrong in the 90%...

Currently, 90 % of timber harvests in this area must be fenced to ensure forest regeneration and sustainability.

I took that as = after fencing 90% were re-generating... MY BAD.....
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/20 20:41:49 (permalink)

Competing vegetation is an obstacle in this unit. Only 14.5 of 476 plots would regenerate without some treatment. 87% of the plots were affected by competing factors and would require some treatment to ensure regeneration in the event of a disturbance, even with low deer numbers

IMHO that blows DT's claim that 90% of the fenced plots were successful,without treatment, completely out of the water. It is just another example where opinions of PGC supporters are trumped by the facts.

No, it just means that you don’t have a clue what they are talking about when they used the term treatment.

The treatment was they had to spray the site to kill the fern and/or invasive species that dominated the site before they did the cut. They frequently have to do that so the beneficial species have a fighting chance of competing in the regeneration of the site. The reason the sites had all the fern and/or invasive species and not much of anything else in the first place was because the ferns and invasive species were about the only things that past the decades of excessive deer numbers without getting eaten into oblivion.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: