Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/12 17:20:38 (permalink)

Controlled Burn ===

Awhile back we talked about how a burn helps the forest to re-generate... Clear Creek had one today in one of the fenced areas...

101 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/12 19:00:14 (permalink)
    Hi Doc,
     The Indians did it for centuries- They knew from life experience that when a forest grew to the point where there was little to no game left it had to go.       They would burn it and return a number of years later to an area teeming with game and new growth-- Look at jellystone.
       I recall the huge outcry  when the service said 'let it burn' and the burn turned out to be the correct thing to do. Too bad it is such a controversial thing today with the "Huggers".
      Give credit to those responsible for good management.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 06:59:26 (permalink)
    Doc,

Serious question, and please don't read anything into it, I just want to know.  Is this fenced area one that was inteneded to keep the deer out in order to study regrowth?  If so, why is it being burned? 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 07:45:50 (permalink)
    Because they weren't getting the regeneration they had hoped for, so they are burning the evidence !(my conspiracy theory)

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 07:59:23 (permalink)
    One could only hope they would burn only half of the enclosed area.
    Then they could have a good place to study the affects of burning in a somewhat controlled area.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 08:27:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Because they weren't getting the regeneration they had hoped for, so they are burning the evidence !(my conspiracy theory)

That's funny.

I was being serious though.   Inquiring minds want to know.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 08:28:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

One could only hope they would burn only half of the enclosed area.
    Then they could have a good place to study the affects of burning in a somewhat controlled area.

You mean to have a one-variable-at-a-time DOE with a control group?

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 09:03:29 (permalink)
    I know it would be very foward thinking for them.

But one could only hope...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 09:41:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

That's funny.

I know. It was supposed to be.

8 days of showers coming. I may head up stripperville over the weekend. If not, sulplhurs.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 09:46:07 (permalink)
    I was thinking about making the Sulphur debuet on Wednesday evening.  Hopefully the green up counteracts the rain.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/13 13:10:19 (permalink)
    I'm always booked up babysitting. The wife took off today so I'm tempted tonight. Something closer to home... vietnam or the school.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/17 12:37:20 (permalink)
    Doc,

Did you find out why they burned in the enclosure?

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/17 14:30:52 (permalink)
    Another attempt at getting rid of the un-desirable growth and hopeing for better re-generation.. personally in that section I think it is a waste of time... nothing good has grown back there in 10 years since the fence went up.... no matter what they have tried (lime, chemicals, sprays, etc, etc)

I wish I had a picture of it over the years but they are all on video before I switched to a digital camera...

If I get a chance later this week I'll take a pic of across the little dirt road.. it's fenced and was done at the same time and you'll be able to see why they want SOMETHING to grow back besides ferns and JUNK....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/17 14:35:24
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/17 15:57:37 (permalink)

You can lead me to the puddle, but you can't make me drink.

looks like you were right on the money

Damm song birds are eating all the good seeds, time to thin them out a bit.
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/05/17 15:59:30
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 06:59:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Another attempt at getting rid of the un-desirable growth and hopeing for better re-generation.. personally in that section I think it is a waste of time... nothing good has grown back there in 10 years since the fence went up.... no matter what they have tried (lime, chemicals, sprays, etc, etc)

I wish I had a picture of it over the years but they are all on video before I switched to a digital camera...

If I get a chance later this week I'll take a pic of across the little dirt road.. it's fenced and was done at the same time and you'll be able to see why they want SOMETHING to grow back besides ferns and JUNK....

So, is it your opinion that completely eliminating deer from the area by fencing it in and them out did not do one bit of good with regard to the regeneration that was desired in a ten year period?

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 08:46:07 (permalink)
    In that particular section I would have to say the only way for re-generation of a valued species would be planting... It even gets sunlight.. everytime I ask the forester he just says "we don't know why " ... interesting ...

One thought I have is wondering about a big gas line that runs thru it buried in the ground ?????

But DCNR says " no" ..
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 09:25:28 (permalink)

In that particular section I would have to say the only way for re-generation of a valued species would be planting... It even gets sunlight.. everytime I ask the forester he just says "we don't know why " ... interesting ...

One thought I have is wondering about a big gas line that runs thru it buried in the ground ?????

But DCNR says " no" ..

So, if the forester doesn't know why the area didn't regenerate as expected, and because the deer were controlled via being fenced out and therefore were obviously not a factor with regard to regeneration, then would you agree that it is possible for other elements besides deer to have an adverse impact on regeneration?

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 13:27:00 (permalink)
    ..WF
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 13:52:59 (permalink)
    Doc - ask your DCNR guy if deer get in the fences.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 14:25:13 (permalink)

I know that they do.  Some former coworkers did pretty well hunting inside the fences.  Is that legal?

But one would tend to think that on a comparable basis, there are far less inside the fence than outside.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 14:43:57 (permalink)

But DCNR says " no" ..

So, if the forester doesn't know why the area didn't regenerate as expected, and because the deer were controlled via being fenced out and therefore were obviously not a factor with regard to regeneration, then would you agree that it is possible for other elements besides deer to have an adverse impact on regeneration?

Where are you going with this?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 15:29:01 (permalink)

I know that they do.  Some former coworkers did pretty well hunting inside the fences.  Is that legal?

But one would tend to think that on a comparable basis, there are far less inside the fence than outside.

Yes, it is legal. Infact, there are signs on the fences encouraging to do so. The number of deer in them seems to be a direct correlation to pressure. They tend to load up after the day of rifle.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/18 18:40:43 (permalink)
    There are deer in the clear creek fences all year long.. at least a couple... one guy spends 80% of his time in the fall riding an ATV around all the fences repairng them where deer tear under them to get the acorns etc inside after eating all the ones outside. Also pretty common to see rubs and scrapes along the outside of the fences...

There is at least one gate on every side of the fenced areas so it's pretty hard to get lost

several years ago I rescued a 6 pointer that was on the inside trying to get out and had his antlers caught in the bottom of the fence, after releasing the antlers he walked off and just stood there for a couple minute exhausted but thankful he was free then walked off to places inside the fence... probably to try again another day

I have lots of stories about inside the fences
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 08:15:34 (permalink)

There are deer in the clear creek fences all year long.. at least a couple... one guy spends 80% of his time in the fall riding an ATV around all the fences repairng them where deer tear under them to get the acorns etc inside after eating all the ones outside. Also pretty common to see rubs and scrapes along the outside of the fences...

There is at least one gate on every side of the fenced areas so it's pretty hard to get lost

several years ago I rescued a 6 pointer that was on the inside trying to get out and had his antlers caught in the bottom of the fence, after releasing the antlers he walked off and just stood there for a couple minute exhausted but thankful he was free then walked off to places inside the fence... probably to try again another day

I have lots of stories about inside the fences

I kind of figured that deer did get in.  In fact, I knew that they did as evidenced in my post above.

Knowing that deer do get in, that leads to the question -- are the deer fenced out enough for the researchers to conclude that the number of those that do get in are small enough to be insignificant with respect to the purposed of the study (as when measured data falls outside of the number of significant digits that are determined in order to maintain experimental accuracy or the odd result is deemed a "flyer" that has no impact on the more defined trends of the experiment) or did the experiment require "zero" deer in order to measure what the experiment was designed to measure?

If the number of deer that did get in were "figured" into the experiment, in other words, a number of deer were expected to get in by the designers of the DOE, but in the grand scheme of things, that number is low enough to be inconsequential, then the arguement that "deer get in and affect the regeneration results" is moot and becomes a nonarguement because they were accounted for in the design of the study.

If the experiment required "zero" deer in order to measure the results of the experiment, then either the experiment was flawed in design by permitting any possible entry by any deer -- the enclosure could have been 15 foot high block walls with only one locked door, for example, in order to keep "all" deer out, or the experiment was contaminated as soon as one deer entered the enclosure -- the experiment should have been stopped as soon as it became known that a deer entered because the integrity of the results were compromised as soon as a deer entered.

The answer to that question leads to further questions.  (That's how action inquiry research works.)

If the answer to the question is that the number of deer that enter are insignificant with regard to the experiment -- much like a certain amount of dust is permitted even in a "clean room" environment, then it must be concluded that the few number of deer (relative to the normal population) can be considered the same as "zero" deer with respect to accuracy and therefore the question I asked Doc earlier, and he didn't answer, comes into play.  I'll ask it again.

If the answer to the permissible number of deer in the enclosure area is that it must be "zero" deer, that too leads to a few questions. 

Why was the enclosure not completely deer proof in order to maintain the integrity of the experiment?

Why was the experiment not halted as soon as the sample area was known to be contaminated?

By permitting deer into a "zero" deer environment, the experminet was flawed right from the onset and was a waste of time and money.

Answering the above questions, plus silver's input that the fences have signs asking for deer inside the fence to be shot, leads to a hypothesis. 

In the design of the experiment, it was known that deer would get inside the fence.  If that were not the case, why would the signs be in place? 

If it were known that deer would get inside the fence by the experiment designers, then the designers "allowed" for a certan number of deer in their experiment or the design would be flawed and the results useless and a waste of time and money. 

Since it could be presumed that the design was not flawed and therefore scientifically sound, then the number of deer that get into an enclosure are deemed insignificant with respect to the results of the experiment.  In other words, the number of deer that get in, when compared to the general population is considered small enough that the number of deer inside the fence are considered, to use DOE language, "to go to zero."

So presuming that the experiment was not flawed and the designers accounted for what they deemed an insignificant number of deer, thereby, with respect to the experiment, regulating that number to the same as zero, the question once again becomes -- if deer had no significant affect on the regeneration that was seen, because there were none (figuratively with respect to the experiment) then something other than deer caused the non-desired regeneration in the enclosure. 

What was that "something?"

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 10:09:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

But DCNR says " no" ..

Where are you going with this?

Danes,

I originally wasn’t headed anywhere with the questions, I simply wanted to know why they were doing a controlled burn in an enclosure that had been used for a deer impact experiment.  Nothing less, nothing more.  As I stated, inquiring minds want to know.

However, when Doc answered with the information from the forester that they did not get the regeneration that they had hoped for and they had no idea why, it raised more questions.  One of those questions was – if deer were eliminated from the possible contributors to non-desired regeneration (please see my other post concerning the design of the experiment so that I don’t need to reiterate it here), then what exactly, in singular or combination, was leading to the non-desired regeneration – whether that non-desired outcome was a non-desired mix of species, amount of growth, etc.  In other words, if the deer were not primarily responsible, and that is what the experiment results says and if the experiment is not deemed flawed, what is causing the problem?

It all goes back to the DOE (design of experiment).  Looking at it in generic terms, so that one cannot say but what about this minute thing or that once-in-a-blue-moon situation by bringing specifics into it, let’s say that there is a condition that is non-desirable and the experimenters wish to determine the root cause.  A typical way of going about that determination is to use a fishbone diagram that places possible causes on the rib bones of a fish.  Typically these fall into what is known as the 4 M’s – man, material, machine, and management.  Obviously, those would need to be renamed here – man becomes animals, material becomes the plants, machine becomes the environment, and management becomes anything that steps away from nature just taking its course.

Under each of those categories, possible causes of the issue are listed.  As an example, under the animals, deer, rabbits, and other herbivores would be listed; under plants other competing species would be listed; under environment soil quality, sunlight, water, etc. would be listed; and under management logging, permitting old growth, controlled burn, etc. would be listed.

To design the experiment then, each of the viable causes is isolated and becomes the sole variable.  The experiment would have a control area, and preferably areas, that had whichever element that was being studied in a normal population/condition as the control group (in other words nothing changed) and an experimental area that had that element removed (if it was deemed detrimental) or added (if it were deemed lacking).  By conducting the experiment in such a manner, the difference between the control area and the experimental area determines the affect that the studied element has on the cause.  This should be done with each possible root cause in order to determine which were contributing to the non-desired outcome.

If that portion of the experiment did not yield conclusive results, then the experiment needs to go further and use a matrix that creates combinations of possible root causes and the experiment starts over.  This is done until a Pareto graph shows the top few causes of the non-desired effect.

Once those root causes are known, the corrective actions are developed to mitigate those issues.

What seems to have happened here, however, is that deer were considered the only plausible root cause, so they were the focus of the experiment – something that is often done when time and/or funding is an issue.  From the results of the experiment, it seems that the deer were not the root cause of non-desired regeneration, at least in this area, because when they were removed (please see the other post which posses questions pertaining to whether the experiment designers considered the deer that did get in as significant or not) the area still did not revert to the desired regeneration and the forester was left saying that they didn’t know why it did not.  The experiment removes the deer as a possible cause, so it has to be something else.

However, presuming the outcome of the experiment was going to point decidedly to deer, a corrective action, reduce the number of deer, was put into action before the results of the experiment were compiled and proven, again, at least in this area, that deer were not the sole or even the primary cause of the non-desired regeneration.   It would seem that by not waiting until the experiment ruled the deer in or out as the root cause, the corrective action was in error.

Again, when I asked the original question, I wasn’t headed anywhere.  I still am not.  I am just trying to understand the logic, or perhaps lack thereof, of the DOE and the possible premature corrective action.

post edited by DarDys - 2011/05/19 10:13:32

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 12:25:56 (permalink)
    Ya see dars needs all that mumbo-jumbo and all I need is to use common sense and look inside fences and then look outside... and realize something is wrong/different ....much simpliar....

The same rain hits both areas and the soil is basically the same in both areas...and even on a clear cut that parts get fenced the same sunshine hits it all at the same rate.. that sure narrows the field to what the differences are...

you also have to remember that clear creek is DCNR and they have to manage the "future" forest differently and for different reasons than the PGC manages the SGLs...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/19 12:30:44
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 12:45:25 (permalink)
    Do you know if this was an experimental test exclosure or was it just one of the many exclosures DCNR is using in an attempt to get advanced regeneration before a cut? Is the stand primarily oaks and how large was the fenced area?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 13:13:28 (permalink)
    Maybe there wasn't enough deer poop in the fenced in area, to fertilize the soil. They should "stock" a half million, or so. Then the trees would REALLY grow.

Yup, that's the ticket.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 13:59:21 (permalink)
    Ya see dars needs all that mumbo-jumbo and all I need is to use common sense and look inside fences and then look outside... and realize something is wrong/different ....much simpliar....

The same rain hits both areas and the soil is basically the same in both areas...and even on a clear cut that parts get fenced the same sunshine hits it all at the same rate.. that sure narrows the field to what the differences are...

YEP-- When you consider that generally they use herbicide, lime, and fertlizer inside the enclosers along with some seedling plantings in addition to sometimes burning and generally outside the enclosures they do not. It's them damm songbirds eating the good seeds I tell you. There is a OVERABUNDENCE of them.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Controlled Burn === 2011/05/19 14:01:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Maybe there wasn't enough deer poop in the fenced in area, to fertilize the soil. They should "stock" a half million, or so. Then the trees would REALLY grow.

Yup, that's the ticket.

Or the could just sprinkle your post over it and have the same fertilizing affect.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: