Natural reproduction

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 21:49:29 (permalink)
Agree 100% with no kill for atlantics especially since they will run multiple spawning years. I've seen a few the past 2 years in the hatchery and have heard of decent pushes in the lower river for them... no doubt are they starting toshow up more and more. But iwould hope they never show up in numbers even close to kings; that would tame the fun out of it... since we're so in depth with the fishery as a whole; I personallly would rather see a reduction in fall chinooks and maybe a smaller spring chinook program to go underway. This could help the river in many ways for all you know; spring run chinooks are less dominant and often smaller in size; but more aggressive and eager to strike; they would maybe encourage atlantics and steelhead to follow them for their spawn and roe?????? Hey you never know???? bottom line though with this river; its good clean and cold water; that's what makes it world class; and I do believe the atlantics will come back better than most think; let's hope atleast...
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 23:33:04 (permalink)
  To be honest Dime I would agree to ALL species catch and release above Pineville Bridge.  Lets face it most of the guys here do that anyway. If any want a fish to eat- just go downstream. Leave the main bed areas for the release fishing.
I get a little edgy seeing guys walking out with Winter fish that were hanging around to spawn. I know its legal and that they are well within their rights to take them but-- mybee I'm being selfish--caught and kept for a  long time and now think differently.
I think many repro things have been looking better ever since the flows have been controlled and the water doesnt get much lower than around 180 when it used to get down much lower during Summer. This is the main thing IMHO that is allowing us to even consider Steel and Atlantic repro stuff. Perhaps Browns and Skamania to some degree too. I dont believe that much positive stuff could be done in the past for those species without that guaranteed flow.
  Another point about releasing ALL is that many guys do not know one fish from the other.  I saw one Atlantic caught this fall and they guy was so happy he had caught a Steel  he was gonna have it mounted- didnt say a thing to him.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/16 23:42:13
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 04:56:41 (permalink)
RT:

C&R practices,lower creel limits, and increased stocking of steelhead during recent years has turned the SR into another Erie stream - full of cookie-cutter fish.

To those that chose QUANTITY over QUALITY, you got what you wished for.

IMO, the best days of the SR, like the Pineville Bridge, are history.

Call me greedy, but I'd opt to go back to the good ole days (less than 10 years ago), when you had a bona-fide chance at a 20lber, and were not surrounded by the hordes of new steelhead enthusiasts who seem to enjoy yankin the same darkhorse steelhead from the upper river - over & over & over again.

to quote the words of Metalslayer - "It's so easy a cavemen can do it".

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 06:43:09 (permalink)
I hear where you're coming from retired but I don't agree completely. I do think atlantics should be 100% c and r.but the steelhead creel limit being 1 i believe is sufficient. I have only kept five in my time so far, so my opinion doesn't really reflect my actions so much; it is a large put and take program in which a large portion is c and r already for trout and atlantics (DSR is now c and r for all trout and atlantic species) along with the fly zones being 100% c and r. If natural repro is the main concern; then they should have seasonal closings during peak spawning periods or maybe weight restrictions along with artificials only to keep rakers from sweeping these fish off of their beds and having a female or male drop their love potion all over the bank....

Drake; been fishing since 90 and have seen the average steel stay right around the same size; 5-8 pounds... I would agree there are more in that category than back in the good old days, but do believe there are plenty of large ones still as I hooked in to a few over 10 and 1 that was over 15 this past season... plus my visits to the hatchery in march and april and my most recent trip 1 week ago assured me there are still very large steel to be had in this fishery...
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/05/17 07:39:42
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 09:06:46 (permalink)
Dime- agree on the biguns- have seen huge Steel in the hatchery runs.  They are more common than many think but for some reason we just dont seem to catch that many though. Then again perhaps we do and just cant land them or think we hooked a shark and break em off.
    BTW- You may recall a couple of years ago there was almost a complete halt to fishing on one of the more popular ( my favorite) feeders in an effort to increase natural repro there. I fear as more and more species are  becoming involved in the system this kind of thought process may become more prevelant.
   Yes -we all want to see natural repro but the fact of the matter is that this is and always will be a primarily put and take system due to the popularity of the fishery and intense pressure that brings with it.
   I made that catch and release suggestion as' food for thought' as a manner of trying to satisfy both 'sides' of the issue. It has already been done to great extent with the DSR and Fly zone regs as well as the lower limits put on the fishery by regulation as you suggest.
    My fear is that rather than continue with lower or controlled 'take' the notion of closing entire areas may someday prevail.
  The only other remedy I see would be 'tags' for kept fish that come with a license- you know like the ones we used to get in Nova Scotia when fishing Atlantics . When you take the last tag  off your license-- -all done till next year - no excuses. Personally I have kept two fish over  many recent years despite purchasing a place  up there and fishing several days a month at least- year round.
     Scotia gave 10 tags and of course SR would have some kind off combo system for various fishes if it ever happened but I think talking the State into a special system for one river might be impossible.
    There are fishermen of all kinds out there- Some just wanna go get a fish and some, as we all know, are those  with a completely different mindset that excludes the first group to a very great degree. If that 'all for the fish and not the fisherman' mindset ever gets going I fear the fishable system  may well shrink.
    Thats not a fantasy cause it almost happened a couple of years ago in the main feeder cause of Steel beds. That combined with those limited acess issues I brought up a post or two ago could really change things up there.       
     They are definatly teetering on the edge of that mindset and have shown it by virtue of that 'almost a reality' effort in the feeder.
    It would be awful if expanding the fish ended up reducing the fishery.
  There are those who say "yea but they will never do that cause of all the money brought into the area by fishing".   The reality however is that those millions compared to the gross of State business revenue is scant.
     Yes, the area is in need of each dollar but it is not the area who controls the endeavor at hand. As a matter of fact the elected representatives of the area are small in number due to the very rural low population that exists and therefore have low impact when in the attendance of representatives of the entire State of NY.
   Sad to say that the revenues of the SR are a small excuse when compared to ---oh say only one  business in NYC of minimal size. It would seem that we are fortunate, for now at least, that the economy in general surely notices a sucsesful venture as represented by the SR and its benefits to an otherwise area of diminished opportunity--- Hope that lasts.
   I must be getting old and bored but that stuff has been on my little mind for a while now.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/17 14:23:01
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 14:18:41 (permalink)
I'm new to the whole SR fishery as you all know. I've made many mistakes in this season." Browns (from Germany), Steel (from Pacific Northwest) and Salmon (also from Pacific Northwest ) are non-native species. Never caught a Brook Trout but did catch a small Atlantic this year. Don't know where the the fishery would be without the "introduced species" but don't think I would have met you guys without them. It was all by accident when my son went to check out SUNY Oswego. Caught more small fish on garden hackle then anything else. They did not look to be "breeders" yet. My biggest success was way west of SR for Steel and Brown.I learned a lot from this forum and look forward to next season. Some of you may look down on guys like me but in a couple of years I may be up to your "standards". I follow the rules and try to be curtious to others. I carry out much more garbage than I carried in.All in all this was a great season for me. It has introduced me to a type of fishing that I may have never tried.The river beat me this year but can't wait for next.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 16:10:09 (permalink)
Pete - there is NO looking down on anybody for anything goin on herebouts. We all like the same thing and do it in the same place its GREAT. Different styles Different ways - but the same thing.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 16:37:20 (permalink)
Wow.. now here is some good discussion.

1. A guides license is $100.00 with an additional $20.00 per other category. Example Fishing guides license $100.00 , in order to take people fishing in most cases you need to walk which is considered hiking, another test, license @ $20.00 and if you use a small craft another test, license @ $20.00 and if you camp another so on and so on.. They must be renewed every 5 years.. As well as a Physical exam.. Anyone operating without insurance is crazy..
If you think in this economy things are prospering.. think again..

2.The salmon river is NOT a cold water stream.. It's a dammed river with a shallow (2)reservoir releasing warm water into the system. Mandatory flows help but very little when you are putting above 70 degree water into the river.

3. I appose a C&R from Pineville up. Come on guys.. It's a freakin put & take fishery where many local guides make a living. C&R is good but at some point the fish get over stressed and become floaters (example LFZ) .

4. Stamps ?? Screw that .. This is not Nova Scotia or Alaska.. It's NEW YORK where I live and we already have enough taxes, we got rid of the Marine stamp, lets not add more money to lined pockets.. I don’t want to pay additional fees for a put & take hatchery fishery that is already part of my angling privilege . I'm comfortable with $98.00 per year as is..

5. Stream Access.. There are very few rivers that offer as much public access as the Lake Ontario tribs do..The reason the crowding occurs is the draw of holding migratory fish.. Face it, people look to the internet to find fish and crowds ensure.. Where is the most crowding at times ? C&R areas.. Granted it's smaller sections but reasons for crowds, high concentrations of fish..
These are Migratory Fish.. They Swim UP Stream for a purpose.

6. DSR.. well if one is concerned about public (free) access then they should have lobbied against DSR.. They started the ball rolling.. Don't get me wrong I think DSR is a great place but over time it has become a richer mans playground.. I'm part of the working class..

7.Most folks here focus on the tribs.. IMO more focus needs to be put on the Lake.. If you notice the restrictions have all been placed on trib anglers.. Why ? Charter boats have more "pull" to keeping their costumers happy.. Again PUT & TAKE ..

8. Spring Salmon.. Never happen.. They spawn in June ..

9. You wont see natural reproduction of Lake Run Trout in those dry feeder creeks, it's just too warm. They are lost souls following high water just like in those diversions.. Do you think they want to be trapped in there ?
Remember the SR also gets stocked trout that never go to the lake, just like ones (pa) home waters.. These are not spring creeks..

10. Last year the Hatchery was very excited that they received for the first time 4 (I believe) returning Atlantic (spawning) salmon.. What Atlantics are being seen , I don’t know, maybe during Chinook runs ?

Anything else I missed ?

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 16:46:08 (permalink)
You might be very sadly right retired guy... as for waterfront access and property; the dec has swallowed all rights and access to it on any properties sold since early 2000s... most property owners with riverfront who have bought recently have it deeded that the dec has right of way for the conservation easement that they plotted. This is usually 100' from the river bank... in one way this is great for all anglers; but on the other hand, a land owner can have their waterfront swiped right out of their hands... definitely a controversial subject... id hope to think that the fishery will stay public as always; but time will tell...look at all of the private rivers abroad in the world today; especially atlanticsalmon rivers...hint hint.... time will tell.

Hey pete no assumptions of those sorts at all...

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 16:55:27 (permalink)
Nice to hear ya Tuna-
Thanks for the skinny on the Guide fees- I knew some of it but that was good info. Agree with most of what you think here.
The only reason I brought out the C&R or the fish tags ( NOT another pay as ya go stamp or another fee thing) was as an alternative to anyone wanting to close off part of the river or a feeder for the purpose of more natural repro in this put and take system. Remember it came close in Orwell a couple of years ago- because of Steel beds.
Yea no more -pay to fish- that s***s.(my little stars)
   Dime- Yea,  ya can walk the waters edge and fish but HOW the heck do ya get there in the first place. That is becoming  a huge problem with everything posted between the road and the right of way along the water. Used to walk a lot to get to some spots - now they  are AGE descriminatary -LOL.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/17 16:58:59
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 17:33:55 (permalink)
The stream easements are sold to the state from property owners by using my (our) state tax dollars in 2 categories..
1. Bank Easement : Meaning public has a right of 100' shore access. That may mean you need to access the water from above or below the private property.. Or the Stream its self in a public point.
2. Public right away : Meaning it gives the public a designated path way to the stream through private property..

Both are Forever public fishing rights and included in deed transfers.. If someone denies you these rights and has been paid for such then by all means report them.

P.S.
The cry to close Orwell was from uneducated people wanting it closed to protect vulnerable fish .. Protecting their spawning was the argument used. The DEC has surveyed these streams and obviously felt protecting spawning was not in issue..
Food for thought..

Personally I find no sport in fishing them Pucker Bush creeks..
post edited by hot tuna - 2011/05/17 17:40:32
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 17:49:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

the dec has swallowed all rights and access to it on any properties sold since early 2000s... most property owners with riverfront who have bought recently have it deeded that the dec has right of way for the conservation easement that they plotted. This is usually 100' from the river bank... in one way this is great for all anglers; but on the other hand, a land owner can have their waterfront swiped right out of their hands... definitely a controversial subject...

I see no controversy..

as Hot Tuna stated the DEC "swallowed" the rights from the riverfront property owner via taxpayer-funded CASHOLA - there was no victim.

Subsequent riverfront property needed to read the deed before they purchased the property to avoid any surprises (caveat emptor).

Dimebrite - did someone have a gun to your head when you bought your slice of SR riverfront heaven?

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 17:54:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

It's a freakin put & take fishery where many local guides make a living.

Don't get me wrong, it's one hell of a put&take machine the DEC built...

But the fact that it is man-made fishery gets lost on some of the folks and their wild ideas of restoring natural reproduction in great #'s.

furrgetaboudit..

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 18:02:56 (permalink)
    Tuna-
     Gotta agree that its getting difficult to fish O nowadays with all the new pressure. Used to be able to get in above fish and drift down to them and workem a bit, if they moved off all ya had to do was wait and later on theyd come back. Who cared bout the wait on such a nice Creek..  Now they are spooky as all get out within an hour of daylight.
     Wish I knew who had those 'right of way' deeds and who didnt. Seems like a well kept secret. Are the No Trespassing signs all around the lanes and we just dont know about it= ha ha ha - jokes on the fisherman - ha ha- I got MY money.
     Acces being an issue to me  dont feel sorry one darned bit about the stuff Dime mentions with folks owning river front. Their property value is quite high as they own those properties compared to the rest of the area and they either got paid for the R.O.W.  and /or easement themselves or had to see it on the deed when they bought.
   Maybe its time for the STATE to list the purchased rights of way and give their locations or even put out a sign here and there. Some may have been "misplaced". NOT knocking the State here - think they are doing a fantastic job on this entire fishery.
  Bet there is a map someplace showing all the purchased easements and rights of way on it. Govt is big on showing what it has accomplished and maps of such things generally abound. We gottem all over our  political offices.
    BTW- agree with ya Drake but there is a clear movement out there for the repros. Not that repros are bad. in fact they are GREAT but its still P&T.
     Hey Dime- did ya know that up in Scotia its illegal to keep anyone from a waterway- If your driving along and see a place you wanna fish or swim - go ahead---made some great native fishing and no place was over worked cause ya could go everyplace.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/17 18:12:34
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 18:18:52 (permalink)

PFR > Public fishing rights..
Just got to poke around ;)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html

One Last Info Over Load:
If you float (guide) below the long bridge you are also required to hold a white water license for any class IV water which there and below the black hole is. That license is difficult to obtain and requires a min. number of hrs. in such site specific IV waters..
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 18:30:25 (permalink)
Tuna-
   We were on similar pages- was just reading recent DEC purchases of easements on the SR- like 30 more acres around Sportsman pool.
Am gonna call them tomorrow and try and get a map of all the easements and rights of way - Will make it available if I can get one. 
    Thats a great map of the river and easmants on the website you gave however shows no R.O.W river access stuff on it.
   Perhaps I'm misinterpreting that and the only row is through the pkng lots or road crossings  but am gonna check.
    Funny how  places have those NO signs right up to the waters edge and I see on that map on the DEC website there are easements. Gonna start carrying a pen and paper and camera with me . Walked in and had to turn around a couple of times last year -------
  Still wondering bout those big yellow NO signs below the Staircase on the North side right up to the waters edge -they are just above the bridge. Was gonna work up to the town pool through the case couple of weeks ago and couldn't go cause of those signs. Others did but if I get pinched it'll be on the front page here at home so had to back off.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/17 19:10:15
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 20:40:09 (permalink)
wow, a lot of activity here; kinda of hard to keep up with...

no gun to my head though drake, was completely aware of bank easement prior to buying; and no i did not get paid by the state for it. the land was originally niagra mohawk but was sold when they were bought out... the easement holds obviously from many years a go as this area has been public access for as long as i can remember and even long before my time... access is only granted through public parking access though; unless you're a friend :) i particularily was encouraged by the easement when i purchased it for all fairness of fellow anglers; its a special area to say the least and feel honored to more or less be part of the fishery ...

hey tuna, you are very right with most you say, but text book conditions aren't always 100%; i'm no biologist but from what i have seen from observing the river throughout the summer for many years now is proof that this fishery can sustain more than it does presently and i do believe it will happen; look at the low water year we had in 07; i remember seeing spawning cohoes in the hundreds in small areas in to novemeber... but thats just me; no fact based science... just my own eyes..all i know is water temps are 58 right now and flowing above normal, and there are presently a few different species that are embracing healthfully in the river; in abundance??? definitely not... but there is a presence; and will be up in to salmon season as it increases... seeing is believing for me;
btw; from a select few anglers i know, last april and may did host a few days with double digit days on mixxed bags of atlantics/steelies... there are a lot more than 4 out there ;)

for the lost souls theory; i saw a spawned pair of cohoes this past march in a smaller than pucker brush trickle of a creek; these fish were spawned but still alive and not even close to rotten... keep in mind this is before the water even came up and the creek was actually still snow and ice mounded; you should of seen the colors on these fish and the look they had, i would put money on it that they were wild; after watching them for a little i went to step across the trickle and kicked out a large beat up male steelhead that looked spawned already but no female; no science or fact based info here, but i believe they were all wild fish

on the other hand, i went large mouth fishing last night til dark and slammed them; has anyone else been getting out at all? i'm gonna be up north in late may and early june; looking forward to some large and small mouth fishing with some honest attempts for steel/atlantics...

have you been walleye fishing yet drake?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/17 21:47:30 (permalink)
Hey Dime:
It's trout season you silly... Of course the brookies are biting well. LOL..
Not saying at all there are only 4 Atlantics that swim up the river. Only saying they are not returning to the hatchery and for over a decade it has been a failed program , even by the dec's admitting. The Little Sandy was a totally failed rearing stream which was closed (back then) to fishing in order to protect fish that were planted and never came back. Don't you think that after 15 some years of dumping millions of Atlantics into the system there would be more to get excited about then last years record 4 Atlantics that went to the hatchery ? Well maybe there is a reason why they are not showing up (in the hatchery) but after millions of $$ it has yet to be figured out.

It has been said here that salmon have the highest natural reproduction survival rate. No denying that, proven from stream surveys. The debate was survival rate among Trout.. I Still stand by a very low natural reproduction rate.. Again , taken from surveys..
Yea the water may be 58 right now which I wouldn’t think it would be that warm already given this cool wet spring (shoot the warm water Hudson River is only 56 > 57) but it will be hitting well above 70 by July, that’s when it is critical for survival.. This is an unusual cool wet spring but summer will come and with a shallow holding reservoir the water temps do rise to lethal levels..

I too have spent many mosquito infested summers on that river, it always warms above 70 degs .I'll bet you a bottle of your favorite beverage it does so in 2011.

Sometimes its not what you see , it's what you don’t see that matters.

P.S.
It is not unusual to see Silvers in late season still milling around. They are truly lost souls.. LOL..

Now leave them spawning bass alone and go catch some trout darn it.. LOL:

Have a blast enjoying the outdoors.. I'll be heading to a cold mountain stream looking for specks :)
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/18 06:36:03 (permalink)
Definitely the river will go aabove 70; but not where the springs comme in ;)... good luck with your specs... im already catching spawnedout bass down here in jersey; just about every fish I caught the other night was over 2 lbs; for trout ionly have put and take down here and I have kinda had it with that already; but I did catch some nice ones... but I've seen bass up to 6 pounds in this lake and suspect there's larger ones; so I prefer them over the trout right now; although we ( my son and I ) did get a 16 inch brookie and rainbow last month... tight lines
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/18 08:39:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Still wondering bout those big yellow NO signs below the Staircase on the North side right up to the waters edge -they are just above the bridge. Was gonna work up to the town pool through the case couple of weeks ago and couldn't go cause of those signs. Others did but if I get pinched it'll be on the front page here at home so had to back off.

The Dentist that owns that land (no DEC easement) got sick and tired of the PIGS littering his property).
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/18 08:41:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

have you been walleye fishing yet drake?

Nope, been hangin in Pa knocking the crap out of the crappies. Good Eats...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/18 12:58:49 (permalink)
      As much as I hate to say it Drake I cant blame that Dentist guy at all. Fishermen are the biggest slobs on Earth.
Just dont get it sometimes. A hundred Hunters could go into the woods and ya whould never know they had been there but a couple of dozen 'fishermen" leave a trail of litter  behind them for all eternity to see.
Would absolutely LOVE to see DEC come in to the system and specifically target littering with huge fines and loss of lisence. As past L/E its a simple task. Hang at a lot and follow anybody with a coffee cup.
Would be a GREAT way for the Towns along the SR to make a few bucks too. Make firm local Ordinance with littering fines at the max and have some local sworn constables go out and issue ordinance tickets.
   Most think little of those tickets but here in CT if they arent paid an arrest warrant for a criminal charge is made. Would really make them think twice when made public.
    I would Love to see it happen ----- SLOBS hurt us all----imagine, part of the Staircase closed cause of SLOBS.
An effort by L/E in that regard would not only get huge support from real fishermen but quite likely each and every landowner too. Landowners must get furious with these guys messing up the property while using the Easement. Would make me nuts.
  BTW- know you guys were kidding each other bout the brookies but LOVE them 'strawberry run' fish in mid summer.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/18 21:14:13
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/19 05:58:55 (permalink)
Hey rt, the best tasting fish I've ever had were little brookies I caught in a little tributary stream of the chettacamp in nova scotia; finger licking good:)
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/19 10:16:47 (permalink)
Dime,
  Was fortunate enough to fish up there  for a number of years. We would walk through the woods to unnamed little places that were a native fisherman's dream come true.
   We lost so many flies in the woods that we ended up buying those Dime Store 20 for a dollar things all stapled to a little cardboard. They worked great.
  Always fished mid-summer on what they called the Strawberry run. Guess it was when the berries came ripe and the fish would run at about that same time.
  We fished a lake called "Loc Lohmond' ( sp) with some limited succes as well for Atlantics. Stayed two weeks each year while my wife and kids visited her Mom in North Sidney.
   BTW- will be up to SR mid next week if all plans go well- stopped hoping for a sunny day a month and 2 trips ago. Gotta have one last shot at Steel and Turkey. Tried Kasoag last trip - OK.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/19 14:56:30
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: