Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/09 19:02:54 (permalink)

Natural reproduction

Well now that its just about over till Sept. for most guys how about a thread that pertains to the natural reproduction possibilities of our favorite fish Sharks and Steel and wellll maybee Atlantics and for some of you lucky guys Browns.
     Amazingly there seems to be quite a bit of natural in the SR and feeders even with the huge amount of pressure our fishing causes.. Now that the Atlantics seem to be enjoying a bit of natural repro in the river too perhaps things will change somewhat in that regard also.
My question here though is not about the SR of other popular places like the Black or Sandys or even Oswego. I find myself thinking more and more about those small streams I see between Syracuse and Watertown that always seem to be devoid of any fishing pressure whatsoever. It seems unlikely to me that they dont have at least some of our favorites in them and that they must certainly spawn  there pretty much unmolested contributing to the total natural spawn.. Perhaps I'm very wrong but it just seems that there are many brooks and streams that  lead to the lake so 'why not'.
Its also interesting to wonder how much natural repro occurs compared to the numbers of stocked fish. I have heard that the North side of the lake has many  unmolested streams and brooks in difficult to get to places that one would think also have repro possibilities.
Any  info or thoughts? .
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/09 19:37:52

53 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/09 21:05:39 (permalink)
    it's a put & take fishery..
    The fish that swim those (warm) tribs are lost souls in higher water.. don't you think ? or does one think they seek them out to regenerate their life cycle.. I do not..
    Of course the fish dig,drop and if they are lucky smolt but many chubbs feed well as do the other species..

But heck I'm also lost in the woods too :)
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/09 21:10:40 (permalink)
    I agree with you Tuna to a certain extent. Seem to recall somebody referring to a report in the past about a double digit return rate from naturals in the SR which I found quite amazing considering how low and warm that gets too.
      Made me wonder bout all those other places that are NOT affected by the generating plant and have a more natural flow.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/09 22:54:02 (permalink)
    hey RT, i believe there is more natural repro than most suspect... i've witnessed it first hand and have actually seen beds produce rainbow par that i believe have as good of a chance as most to descend haethfully... and these water ways dont have a name... besides, the salmon and steel that frequent these spawning grounds annually at many different times throughout the year i've noticed to have different markings/coloring than your average fish out of the river... i believe in it... supposedly a 10 (or maybe more)year study is underway to try and determine the survival rate of the estimated 14 million salmonoids that hatch in the salmon river naturally every year.. they've yet to determine how many actually survive in the salmon river that is... i've witnessed salmon and some steel spawning in lower stretches of DSR at times... these par have even a greater chance of survival...

for the other tribs not connected to salmon river and flow in to the lake themselves... i believe some natural repro goes on; but not as much... they don't have steady waterflows like the salmon which leaves natural beds prone to drying out or overheating; but i do believe it still goes on...

for the lost soul theory... i believe that this does occur, but just think, for every lost soul that spawns in the right place at the right time and water level makes for naturally born fish that will most likely be directed to their same spot of origin to lay their own eggs, and on and on...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/05/09 22:55:11
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 00:56:11 (permalink)
    Here's the scoop.The salmon do reproduce in the SR as their offspring leave the stream in the spring before it gets too warm.It's not known what number of fish reach adult size but there is a number that do.
    It is very doubtful that there is any successful natural trout in the system because their young stay in the river for one year before migrating to the lake,because of the water temps during the summer they don't survive.
    There was a poster on here that went by King Davy or something like that that participated in a study that confirmed that.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 06:04:40 (permalink)
    I don't know the actual facts; and yes you areright with the one year smolt return jack; but I have read that steelhead smolts have been recorded going back and forth from natal rivers to the ocean, but never too far from the river mouth... this was proven in kamchatka russia. My one question is this; from now until mid june; you can find thousands of little steelhead smolts in the river from top to bottom and rarely do I see dead ones in july/august... I would find it hard to believe they all die.I would assume they descend back to cooler temps in the lake as any cold water fish would naturally. Remember also that steel start spawning as early as late february/ early march.... id love to see some more studies conducted to say the least. They should do some type of tagging of gps device on a select amount of hatchery smolts and natural repro smolts to see what really goes on...

post edited by dimebrite - 2011/05/10 06:10:16
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 11:26:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

It is very doubtful that there is any successful natural trout in the system because their young stay in the river for one year before migrating to the lake,because of the water temps during the summer they don't survive.

I have caught small browns around the Pineville island - they definitely call the SR home. Not big numbers, but some fishes are definitely born and raised there.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 15:48:13 (permalink)
        Have caught the small Browns myself  occasionally  in the feeders using Hackle but always figured they were stocked that small. Maybe they were naturals-dont know, but it has been going of for over 20 years now.
        Gotta say though that the numbers seem small in the feeders-even so it would be nice to know that they repro there. Have never caught an adult brown in them but then I have a natural adversity to browns I guess- catch so few of the darned things. There could be a huge run of just Browns with even the kids catching them by mistake and I'd get a chub.
       Maybe thats why my wife calls me Chubby.

post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/10 16:34:29
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 21:04:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Here's the scoop.The salmon do reproduce in the SR as their offspring leave the stream in the spring before it gets too warm.It's not known what number of fish reach adult size but there is a number that do.
    There was a poster on here that went by King Davy or something like that that participated in a study that confirmed that.

Bingo !!

Now this year we will see how the salmon return is.. Remember the drought .. Stocking levels were slightly lower..
    Salmon have the best chance, Resident browns next, steelhead after and atlantics.. nill...

Crash the system and the system will fail..
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/10 23:50:04 (permalink)
    dime,I bet those thousands of LITTLE smolts are Salmon,they leave the river at a very young age so they are gone to the lake by July.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 15:41:43 (permalink)
    WOW---hope that 12,500 water level post is a mistake-wont be anythin left.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 16:04:52 (permalink)
    Still looking at SR water flows ?? Man I'm watching the flowcasts on the Ausable :) Trouts..

Too Funny though Retired.. Yea it's a mistake LOL

Until 11:59 PM Thu MAY 12, 500 CFS

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 19:03:09 (permalink)
    plenty of fish to be had still tuna...

i have some fond memories of the ausable; early july/late june floating size 20 mosquitoes; or skating small single posted emergers straight downstream behind big boulders in to riffles just above 5 foot drop off crystal clear pools... thats fishing just about at its best...

hey jack; i've noticed the salmon par to have less coloring and more silver in the spring months than the steelhead par; also they are usually a little larger in size in these months along with very large bulging eyes. there aremostly steelhead par in may and june months i've noticed... maybe i'm wrong though...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 19:40:51 (permalink)
    EEEEYEAAAAA- I'm hopin to get a shot at my special spot nest week for a day or two. Just me and the gnats.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 19:48:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

EEEEYEAAAAA- I'm hopin to get a shot at my special spot nest week for a day or two. Just me and the gnats.

they were just starting to get annoying this past saturday; i imagine they're killer now and for the next 2 weeks; then the mosquitoes... YEE MOTHER F***ING HAAAA.

good luck RT with the fish and your skin condition after the black flies get a piece of ya..lol
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/11 20:09:16 (permalink)
    I believe the silver ones w/ the bulging eyes are coho smolts.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/12 00:15:19 (permalink)
    For anyone interested there is a thread on the salmoncrazy general discussion on this.They,the DEC,were conducting a survey at the 2A bridge and there are pictures of the smolts.As said the chinook leave the river by July.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/12 21:48:15 (permalink)
    Thanks guys==
       This has been very informative. Hope I got it somewhat straight- Salmon smolt go to the lake pretty quick and likely some live and return but the trout want to stay in the river longer so likely die off in the Summer warm low water.      
        Browns  MAY have some limited repro as some juvies get caught now and then.  Odd that some  Brown would make it and  not some Steel too but no one seems to say they catch any small ones in the river or tribs.
      The only thing I am fuzzy on  ( hope its the only thing) is the Hos. Do they run right out with the Kings  or do they try and stay and die off too?
       Not even considering Atlantics cause there seem to be too few to even consider- yet.=== wont even bring up the mythical Summer run Skamania ("so many even the kids are catching them") (tackle shop quote)  cause I dont know anyone who actually saw one much less caught one.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/12 21:54:00
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/13 00:33:43 (permalink)
    Hey RT; I completely disagree with low percentage for steel natural repro... I believe its more than most think... but i'll leVe it at a mystery
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/13 08:44:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

wont even bring up the mythical Summer run Skamania ("so many even the kids are catching them") (tackle shop quote)  cause I dont know anyone who actually saw one much less caught one.

I'ze cornfuzed RT...

Are you implying that a tackle shop would exaggerate the SR Fishing Conditions ???

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/13 09:26:55 (permalink)
    Check out the lower fly from time to time in july-early september along with the hatchery;; you will see more than a few summer steel and atlantics mixxed with some brownies.. I know a few guys who have caught summer steel in the lower river when the water comes up in summer time; im pretty sure the skams end up spawning in february; but they end up going back and forth with water levels during summer months while some find comfort in the spring fed holes and end up staying in upper river... it wouldn't surprise me if juvenille steelhead end up doing the same????

For the reports of even the kids catching them like crazy; very unlikely.... but I have seen the church hole border line loaded with them in summer months; who's to say a lucky angler couldn't find a nice pod of them in other spring fed pools in the river. I will make a few attempts myself this summer for skams/atlantics/and smallies...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/13 11:09:48 (permalink)
    Drake -thats one of my favorite tackle shop stories-
       Sittin at home with no money years ago and read about the  big summer run with even the "kids catching them"
       Took off work ran up and went to THAT same shop- They claimed they didnt know anything bout a Summer run, hadnt seen a fish all Summer-. Paid for my room and went home the same day===never wet a line. 12 hours and 600 hundred mile round trip- Talk bout  a suicide run. Spent about an hour in Pulaski--And Altmar.
         I NEVER believe those commercial reports ---period.......EVER-- and never will....too many want your money and care very little about anything else...
      Kinda like my other favorite story --in the lower river years ago when the report in a local CT  publication quoted them as saying there was a 'fantastic' run on a particular day " so come on up".. My friend &  I had fished there for 3 days that was the middle day. THERE WAS NO run for all three days and the report was for exactly where we were. Perhaps a fish here and there but NOT any kind of run. THATS why I get HOT when I read them saying HOT.
      Bovine  Field Splatter
       Now I'm fired up ---kinda like those two huge fishing shops we all know who are still featuring felt bottom waders and shoes in all their ads while lobbying like crazy to make them illegal.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/13 13:46:58
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/15 20:04:18 (permalink)
    Natural Reproduction before the ice age :)

I just dig this picture.. There was a date of 1962 in this lean-to but they were first being built as part of the New Deal 1933-36 :)
    The tent.. a 2011 Kelty.. China :(
    The tree hand sawn ..
    The pond and the fish that swim there ... Priceless...

post edited by hot tuna - 2011/05/15 21:45:04
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/15 22:42:00 (permalink)
       Went up for a wet weekend of lawn work,digging, cutting brush and making nice wet piles. Never wet a line, had a lot to do and it  pretty much rained both Sat and Sun so took longer than anticipated, looks to rain Monday too so cut it short a day.
    Didnt look like very much pressure on the river up or down-yea a few more guys up top but not many.
      Met a great Supervisor from the Hatchery while stopped at  Ellis  for a bit watching guys fish on Saturday. Boy- let me tell ya- he enlightened me on a whole bunch of fishing facts and on going studies and activities by the Hatchery-made me a true believer in the SR system (as if I wasnt before) I'll tell ya these guys at the hatchery are GREAT. This guy even showed me his favorite Atlantic flies.
       Found that I'm pretty much all wet on the Atlantics and Skamania and  now see a very bright future for the Atlantics in particular. Got the impression they can do  somewhat better in  warm water that some other species. Was also pleasantly surprised at the info on natural spawning -especially for the Coho which are really producing out there.
         Dont want to quote him, even though he probably wouldn't mind his info getting out there, but sometimes things can get changed a bit in the retelling so I'll stay away from that.
         Let it suffice to say that this river and this fishery are in great hands.  Also, there is more natural repro going on in some cases that I ever thought possible.
      Also this is one more guy who is gonna be out there this summer with the fly rod looking for an Atlantic to release. A week ago you couldnt get me to even think about that on a bet...
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/15 22:43:45
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 06:00:21 (permalink)
    Hey retired pm sent...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 12:11:16 (permalink)

Found that I'm pretty much all wet on the Atlantics and Skamania and  now see a very bright future for the Atlantics in particular. Got the impression they can do  somewhat better in  warm water that some other species.

RT:

I don;t mean to P on your AS parade,

butt

unless the DEC gets rid of the non-native fish they stocked to keep the registers aringin (i.e. - mudsharks) the Atlantics stand no chance to compete against them.

unless the DEC restores the Atlantic Salmon forage base that crashed decades ago - there is no hope for widespread natural repro due to thiamine deficiency.

Man the Pig already FU'd the situation...
    I have no confidence (ZERO) that they can turn back the hands of time with the Atlantics.

Sure - you might catch a 15lber some morning then that same afternoon you will land a 20# skam..

Happy Fishing.

http://www.aimee-lee-houde.com/salmon.htm
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 15:34:38 (permalink)
    Drake-
    I am in some agreement with you on non native species. It seems that we always complain about the 'invasivs' and other species we dont like to see and then go on and applaud the ones we like- Brown Trout , pheasants, lots of fruits and veggies etc etc.  It is however a world wherein we have changed so very much that I don't think we will ever get back to basics. As a matter of fact if one were to look at the stuff that was here in early Colonial times compared to now I think we are very much better off today.
          We have even gone so far as to market hunt some species out of local existence and then re-introduced it for our sporting pleasure- Whitetail deer in many places and Wild Turkey are two great examples not to mention  many fishes we enjoy catching.
          I do not pretend to know what a right or proper balance may be but it occurs to me that if the sucess of Shark fishing had not happened  we may not be looking at the reintroduction of  native species at all.
       In todays world the unfortunate truth seems to be that of fiscal sucess followed by greater involvement. The great SR sucuss was, as you indicated, initiated with Sharks being the most popular fiscal draw and the other species have followed. To that extent the entire process may ultimately have been to the advantage of the native species they are now trying so very hard to re-establish wether it be by mistake or intent.
        My conversation with the Biologist last Saturday gave me the distinct impression that the Atlantics are now a priority and therefore the system -no matter how flawed some may see it- is working to their present advantage.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/16 15:39:10
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 17:19:09 (permalink)
    I would think with almost a zero hatchery return rate in years & years (think it's over 15 off top of my head) of stocking and trying to reintroduce them, SERIOUS to me would mean NO-kill, lake & tribs for a troubled species trying to rebound..
    Atlantic's are obvously present.. Co-worker did a lake brown trip past weekend.. Kill rate : 9 browns 2 Atlantics..

Again dont know why we are dumping millions into a resource (atlantic's) with a Kill limit .
    Don't you think the 1 steelhead limit has had an effect on them ? My thoughts on that is we see more returning fish not more natural reproduction there..
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 18:28:03 (permalink)

My conversation with the Biologist last Saturday gave me the distinct impression that the Atlantics are now a priority and therefore the system -no matter how flawed some may see it- is working to their present advantage.

Their present advantage?

Yeah - the biologist's job, the overpriced guides, the purveyors of the world-class $80/night 1/2 star hotel rooms, tackle shops, yada,yada,yada.

The fish is somewhere at the bottom of that list.

Like HT - stated - why not a no-kill limit on Atlantics?

RT - did you drink a glass of Pooolaski Chamber of Commerce Koolaid?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Natural reproduction 2011/05/16 21:20:20 (permalink)
    Nah - Try and keep the Koolaid down to a bare minimum. Also am old enough and politically savvy enough ( hope) not to be taken by a sell job. This guy was very serious and very dedicated and knowlegable as to whats up. He was a real zealot on the fishery and the fish- not the commercial side at all.
         The no kill thing, IMHO, is a real issue that we should all look at very seriously. I remember when the upper river was for trebble hookers with stiff little rods and 50 lb test line. There was a three fish limit then and that didnt include all the ones that were-ripped and not landed. If you think you see Zoorama now you havent lived till you have seen those 'good old days'.
        Personally I would LOVE to see a 'NO KILL' on the entire SR upstream from the Pineville  bridge and in both feeders as well. All catch and release-period.
    Perhaps the single most troublesome thing over the years to me has been the increased limitation of acsess to the river- in particular the middlesections.     
        Some of my favorite areas are now almost completely inacessible without a very long hike. Even then one must be "creative" when getting to the water.
    Used to park along 13 most anywhere and walk in but now it moslly all posted. Then we used to leave the car by our room at Jim Rushers and walk up to fish behind the Cemetery area - now its all posted.
        Thats the kind of stuff that has IMHO created the huge crowds in popular areas with big lots and has lent itself to some of the stuff we all complain about.
       I think the NO kill would create a very different atmosphere on the upper river and leave a lot more fish to reproduce on those very important gravel beds.
        My belief is that they have done a good job of trying to satisfy the fishery and the fishermen with the greatly reduced limits but those responsible need to know we would support further restrictions. I truely think they would appreciate the input.
                Anybody wanna start a petition?

BTW- Drake- Thanks for the historical data- loved it---
       If I got this right the Guide lisence is only about $100 for 5 years and they DONT have to carry Liability- beyond that the 'high prices' have nothing to do with the State. Its the cost of doing business I guess. Hope I have those figures right -if not somebody will chime in I'm sure.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/16 21:46:07
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: