Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/03 01:44:37 (permalink)
Punxy has a WM too. Seems dumb to turn away such a large business like Wally-mart. The people of Brookville must like being unemployed.
ORIGINAL: psu_fish

The rumor I always heard was that Cabela's wanted to go in by the Grove City Outlets..but Senator Byrd of WV made them a deal they couldnt pass up

That would have been sweet to have a BPS or Cabela's 25 mins from the house

edit: How long ago was the Lowe's and Walmart offers denied?

Dubois and Clarion have Walmart's, and Dubois just built that bigger and better one, plus there is a Lowe's which I assume went to Dubois after Brookville said no

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/03 10:30:11 (permalink)
I would not put any of the blame on Rep. Smith.. he loves small businesses...

this area will remain POOR and young folks leaving as long as the Brookville Historical Society has the say in what happens in Brookville... I don't even go to Brookville unless it's to the court house... just pass thru on the way to a copuile fishing spots  ...

average income = $17,000 per adult

and the next small town is Brockway and it's just as bad 4 or 5 familes run the town.. DuBois is my place to go for just about everything ....

RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/03 13:33:37 (permalink)
Doctor Trout is right it is the Borough Council of those small towns, it happens in Ridgway too, who have a lot of the say and ultimately prevent many larger merchants from coming into their towns.

They prevent the larger places like Wal-Mart and such from coming into the area because they have the capability of out competing and eventually putting the small down town business stores out of business. Since those smaller stores are part of the town atmosphere and also owned by some of the Council members they do all they can to protect themselves from the bigger shopping venues moving in.

Heck in Ridgway we can’t even get a fast food place because one of the big money families in town have a little sandwich and ice cream business that probably wouldn’t survive if a larger fast food business came to town.

Though I can see their logic I will also say that all it really does is cost people even more money as they travel out of town to get the things the larger places provide that the smaller down town stores don’t carry or if they do they are so high priced no one will buy them.
 R.S. Bodenhorn    
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 01:16:00 (permalink)
Brockway also has a + 7% decline in population last 10 yrs as well as Brookville. Smith is the most popular last name in both Brockway and Brookville. Go figure. Senator Smith loves big businesses as well ,look at the ones who supported him politically.
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I would not put any of the blame on Rep. Smith.. he loves small businesses...

this area will remain POOR and young folks leaving as long as the Brookville Historical Society has the say in what happens in Brookville... I don't even go to Brookville unless it's to the court house... just pass thru on the way to a copuile fishing spots  ...

average income = $17,000 per adult

and the next small town is Brockway and it's just as bad 4 or 5 familes run the town.. DuBois is my place to go for just about everything ....

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 02:41:20 (permalink)

Smith is the most popular last name in both Brockway and Brookville. Go figure.

LMAO... I think that would be probably true for most places in the USA....

Whats your point, ???

Do you seriously believe everyone named Smith is related...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/04 02:42:07
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 04:49:19 (permalink)
I thought you would appreciated that one.

There are compelling reasons why Sunday hunting should be allowed:

Sunday hunting has no detrimental effect on wildlife populations. The 43 states that allow some form of Sunday hunting have healthy wildlife populations in those areas that can sustain them. In fact the states with the most abundant game populations allow Sunday hunting. Those states that have recently removed prohibitions on Sunday hunting have not seen a negative impact on game populations. Allowing Sunday hunting will give state wildlife agencies more flexibility in managing populations. The extra day a week for hunting will give the agencies the ability to increase hunting in areas of overpopulation by encouraging hunters to go afield.

The most common reason that hunters stop hunting is lack of hunting opportunity. Hunting opportunities are largely decided by two factors: accessible land and available time. Since most hunters work Monday through Friday, a ban on Sunday hunting cuts their available hunting time in half.

Sunday hunting is an excellent way to recruit new hunters. Many young people have school or athletic obligations on Saturday. Allowing Sunday hunting means that parents can spend time hunting with their son or daughter, passing on a heritage that is so important to America. With the myriad of activities that compete for the attention of young people today, a restriction on Sunday hunting means many of them never take up the sport.

Sunday hunting will bring an economic benefit to many rural areas. Every day that hunters are in the field, they spend money on gas, food, lodging and the dozens of other incidentals that go along with a day`s hunt. The ripple effect of this spending can have a major impact on a rural town or county.

Out-of-state license revenue can grow as a result of Sunday hunting. Few hunters will take extended hunting trips to a state that won`t let them hunt one day of the week. These out-of-state hunters pay higher license fees that benefit the game department and also spend even more money on incidentals than in-state hunters.

Mr Sam Smith get with the times, your suffering towns need the extra money from Sunday hunters.

Smith is the most popular last name in both Brockway and Brookville. Go figure.

LMAO... I think that would be probably true for most places in the USA....

Whats your point, ???

Do you seriously believe everyone named Smith is related...

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/04/04 05:02:18
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 07:22:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RSB

Doctor Trout is right it is the Borough Council of those small towns, it happens in Ridgway too, who have a lot of the say and ultimately prevent many larger merchants from coming into their towns.

They prevent the larger places like Wal-Mart and such from coming into the area because they have the capability of out competing and eventually putting the small down town business stores out of business. Since those smaller stores are part of the town atmosphere and also owned by some of the Council members they do all they can to protect themselves from the bigger shopping venues moving in.

Heck in Ridgway we can’t even get a fast food place because one of the big money families in town have a little sandwich and ice cream business that probably wouldn’t survive if a larger fast food business came to town.

Though I can see their logic I will also say that all it really does is cost people even more money as they travel out of town to get the things the larger places provide that the smaller down town stores don’t carry or if they do they are so high priced no one will buy them.
 R.S. Bodenhorn    

Huntingdon was/is like that as well.  The small businesses who had majority representation on boards and councils kept out the big box stores.  Stores (and banks) closed at noon on Wednesday, had very brief hours on Saturday, were closed on Sunday, etc.  So what did the big box stores do?  They, with the help of the local representative (hint, hint) moved right across from the city limits into the nearest township that was more than glad to have the tax revenue, and they built there.  In other words, it can be done if the political powers that be want it to happen.  If they don't (for whatever reason) it won't.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 13:21:16 (permalink)
and that is exactly why Clarion, Punxy, Dubois, St Marys are all doing well in this area.. they are excepting the businesses.... does not help the local residents though traveling that far to shop or work ??? The latest is a new LARGE Dunham's Sporting goods store...

But it continues and main streets are becoming nothing but apartments for rent as the folks live there and go to work in the towns with the jobs and business that provide those jobs near by ... the building owners are still getting there money, it is just coming from a different source in many cases... small towns are dying off... we all admit that and that is also why many of us are not buying the "deer hunting" stories as a reason for any of it... and why the populations around here are dropping so fast...

So instead of running to the local business when a need first arises.. folks "put off" their needs and wait til it is more economical to travel to the store a little further away and "kill two birds with one stone".....

so rather than go to the Mom and Pop Sporting goods store to get ammo and the local restaurant for dinner.......

I'll wait and get that when I get my license and new hunting coat at Wal-mart next time in "the big town" and while I'm there I can take the "guys" to dinner across the mall at McDonald's instead of the little family restaurant a mile from camp... and save some money in the process...

sad but true in the modern day.....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/04 13:25:31
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/04 14:51:11 (permalink)
Clarion WM is not in the borough, instead its Clarion Twp as is newer Applebees

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 19:05:55 (permalink)
From the PFSC testimony today at the BOC meeting.  Seems we can add another org supporting the PGC having regulatory control of Sunday hunting.

"PFSC voted to support the repeal of the legislative ban on Sunday hunting because we believe all seasons and bag decisions, including which days of the week we hunt, should be made by our wildlife agency and not the legislature."

My rifle is a black rifle
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 20:28:52 (permalink)
WOW! Penn Fed supporting pgcs agenda and ways to kill more deer. Now theres something hard to believe. lmao.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 21:11:03 (permalink)
I found their testimony interesting.  This was the first I heard that they supported the regulatory transfer.  In fact, a couple of weeks ago, a officer told me the PFSC could not support any Sunday hunting intitiative at this time.  I guess something changed since then.

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 21:14:45 (permalink)
Just a tip on Small towns-
   Big business means more population and support business-all of which means more residents- Without even considering other related municipal needs, Schools alone generally require about 60% of gross local taxation, and all those NEW residents will have kids.
   My City has a gross population of just about 60,000 and 10,000 kids in school. Whenever somebody's talking about a new housing project the first thing I think of is that we will get about $5,000 for the house tax and then have to spend roughtly $10,500 per school kid and each house will have the average of 1 1/2 kids per house, not to mention police, fire, library, highway dept, parks dept ,health dept, etc etc.- Evryone elses taxes therefore go UP.
 Sometimes there is a lot to be said for NOT growing.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 21:22:18 (permalink)
Sent off a few E-mails to verify this stand by the PFSC on Sunday hunting....

does not agree with what I was told either dpms ???????

hope it is not true... ????

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 21:30:39 (permalink)
Here's the PFSC testimony at the meeting ===

Pennsylvania Game Commission Testimony
April 11, 2011

Good morning President Weaner, Commissioners, Executive Director Roe, staff and guests. My name is Chuck Lombaerde and I am 1st Vice President of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs (PFSC).
PFSC recently held our annual spring convention in Union County. We would like to thank Executive Director Roe, Biologist Mark Ternet and Information & Education Bureau Director Joe Neville for taking time out of their busy schedules to attend our function and provide our members with updates and information on the agencies programs and issues.
With attendees from across the state, opinions were as varied as the issues on some topics. However, there was consensus on several issues. PFSC remains in opposition to the proposal to add 3 more WMU's to the split seasons. We do not feel there is adequate data to support this decision. We believe trying to increase deer herd numbers with split seasons across the state would certainly be too broad a brush, as not all areas can support an increased deer herd yet. Closing the first week to antlerless hunting statewide constitutes a “one size fits all” approach – a concept a few commissioners have been touting as a “fatal flaw” of the current program – so again we ask, why is it suddenly an acceptable philosophy?
The combined season provides more opportunities for our hunters, specifically for our youth hunters who usually have limited opportunities to be afield. So we again ask that you consider allowing our youth hunters to be exempt in all WMU’s. If they hold an antlerless tag, allow them the opportunity to fill their tag anytime during the two week rifle season. Allow the same for mentored hunters when we pass legislation allowing for the transfer of tags.
Many of our youth hunters no longer even get the first day of the season off school. Eliminating antlerless harvests during the first week will eliminate opportunity for many youth and adults who only have that first day of deer rifle season as a vacation day. We believe the antlerless allocations are a much better method of controlling harvest than reducing season lengths, which results in less opportunity for all.
PFSC also discussed the new porcupine season, and we would like to see the porcupine listed under the furbearer category.
Many of our members have expressed concerns over the closure of small game season in the pheasant recovery areas. Several of our central counties are experiencing problems with snow geese and woodchucks. With this regulation change, the problems will be exasperated. We ask that you readdress this issue to prevent further destruction to farmers’ crops and equipment.
The PFSC delegates voted to support HB 881, the Leashed Dog Tracking bill. If passed, it will give hunters another ethical tool for maximizing their efforts to recover wounded game.

PFSC voted to support the repeal of the legislative ban on Sunday hunting because we believe all seasons and bag decisions, including which days of the week we hunt, should be made by our wildlife agency and not the legislature. This is also why we oppose HB 566, which would legislatively mandate rifle deer season open on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. These are wildlife management issues, not legislative issues.
In your efforts to manage all of Pennsylvania’s wildlife resources, we hope that you will make decisions based on sound, scientific data; decisions that are justifiable and that will continue to expand on sound deer management. We would like to see the justification for changes when they go so drastically against the recommendations of the biologists and staff. It is PFSC’s hope that the commissioners would give serious consideration to the scientific data in their management decisions. It concerns us when nearly a dozen staff recommendations are denied or over ruled without proper justification. We must all work together to help conserve all our wildlife resources and our outdoor heritage for future generations.
Thank you for allowing us time to testify, and for your time and commitment to our wildlife resources.
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/11 21:47:03
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 21:45:01 (permalink)
....Like i said....
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/11 23:38:25 (permalink)

It was not, per say, a vote for Sunday hunting, but because of PFSC’s strong belief that all seasons & bag regulations should be set by our wildlife agency and not our legislature, and what days we hunt is a “season” issue, the delegates voted to support legislation that removes the legislative control of Sunday hunting from the legislature.

If it were a straight out vote for Sunday hunting, I’m fairly sure it would have failed. The same bill was re-introduced again this year, and PFSC’s delegates again voted to support removing the control from the legislature, not specifically for Sunday hunting.

It would be sad to lose you over an issue that really isn’t an issue, since its been the PFSC’s position for several years now, but we don’t make it a priority, and it never goes anywhere legislatively, mainly because the Farm Bureau Is opposed, and they have much more clout than we do.

Here's another reply...

it’s going nowhere legislatively….but I don’t think that’s where this particular position came from. When a vote is that close, PFSC doesn’t take an active stance one way or the other. I’m pretty sure the most recent vote was based on legislation removing control from the legislature and giving it to the PGC.

The vote referred to was ===
16 yeas, 13 nays, and 4 abstentions

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/11 23:44:14
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 02:03:51 (permalink)
It won't be long til Sunday hunting.just like buying beer and wine at Wal-Mart. Keep sending those letters boys !
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/04/12 02:05:02
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 07:21:14 (permalink)
It won't be long til Sunday hunting.just like buying beer and wine at Wal-Mart. Keep sending those letters boys !

< Message edited by Outdoor Adventures -- 4/12/2011 2:05:02 AM >

You are probably correct on that. The only reason the Crossbow guys and the PFSC picked this particular time in history to push the issue is the knowledge that the BOC currently has enough members in favor of Sunday hunting to make it happen.

It's called "Strike While The Iron Is Hot" and that tactic has been used in the political arena since the beginning of time.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 07:46:48 (permalink)
Doc,

That is why I have been very clear on what the exact issue is I was referring to.  The issue of expanding Sunday hunting and the issue of regulatory control are two seperate ones and must be treated as such. 

I was very pleased to see that PFSC differentiate between the two.  We as sportsmen must work to get regulatory control out of the hands of politicians.  How, when and where to expand is a discussion for another day. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/04/12 07:49:08

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 07:54:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

You are probably correct on that. The only reason the Crossbow guys and the PFSC picked this particular time in history to push the issue is the knowledge that the BOC currently has enough members in favor of Sunday hunting to make it happen.

It's called "Strike While The Iron Is Hot" and that tactic has been used in the political arena since the beginning of time.

The current board is split I believe.  Maybe 5/3 in favor or 4/4.  Really too close to call.  I am not sure the BOC will even bring a possible resolution to the table today without close to unanimous support for it. 

This has been in the works for some time now.  Long before some of the newer members of the BOC were seated.
post edited by dpms - 2011/04/12 07:55:54

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 08:00:32 (permalink)
Since doc posted the complete testimony of the PFSC.  Here is the complete testimony from the Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation(PCF).  I highlighted the part about Sunday hunting.

Good Morning Commissioners,

The PCF wants to express its thanks to Commissioner Martone for his help in getting a field tipped arrow legal to carry in a crossbow quiver for the sole purpose of decocking/discharging a hunters crossbow when needed. 

Pennsylvania now has two archery seasons under our belts with full crossbow inclusion.  The transition of the first year was seamless by all accounts and last fall was no different.  What has been especially noteworthy is how the crossbow has allowed many to participate in our mentored youth initiatives during archery season along with our aging hunter population continuing to remain in the game.  The PCF was hopeful that this would be the case and we are very pleased to see it become reality. 

Archery license sales appear to have already started to plateau.  During the first year of full inclusion Pennsylvania added close to twenty thousand archers.  The last figures that the PCF was made aware of for our current license year show a modest gain of several thousand.  We continue to expect slow gains from here on out until an eventual plateau is reached.  Despite this growth in participation, archery license sales remain well below the historical highs from over a decade ago.  The Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation feels strongly that crossbow inclusion has ensured strong participation during our archery seasons for years to come.

Harvest statistics continue to reveal minimal impact to our resource.  Archery harvest has increased in proportion to additional archery license sales with total deer harvests falling the first year.  This past deer seasons saw increased harvests by both archers and firearms hunters.  The percentage of the harvest attributed to crossbows has grown outside of the special regulation areas.  It is interesting that these percentages are now close to each other.  Crossbows have been accepted as legitimate archery tools and are being used to harvest deer throughout our state at similar levels. 

Some concerns have been raised about Pennsylvania’s archery harvest growing as a percentage of the total deer harvest.  Currently, our archery harvest is approaching 34% of the total deer harvest.  This percentage has been steadily climbing for some time. This trend has been evident long before full crossbow inclusion.  This is also a national trend with archery participation increasing while firearms participation declining.  Pennsylvania is mirroring this as well.  With a large percentage of Pennsylvania’s archery harvest consisting of does, we do not expect any negative consequences if this trend continues.  Many states harvest the bulk of their deer before and during the peak of the rut will no ill effects.

The PCF mailed out a letter to every commissioner and Executive Director Roe regarding the issue of Sunday hunting.  We asked this board to consider passing a resolution supporting legislation which would transfer regulatory control of Sunday hunting to the PGC.  The PCF will always believe that game agencies are best suited to regulate hunting every day of the year.  There are 52 days this year that politicians are regulating hunting in this state.   How to implement Sunday hunting, where to implement it and during which seasons is a discussion for another time.  The first step is supporting a regulatory transfer which will go a long way towards furthering this issue.  The PCF understands that there are many powers at play here.  We ask this board to show its support for regulatory control through a resolution.

In closing the PCF feels very confident that when the Sunset Provision of 2012 arrives the statistics will continue to prove that the crossbow has earned its rightful place in archery season as archery equipment. We believe it has opened the door for many young, elderly and physically challenged hunters to enjoy the beautiful fall archery season of this great state. The crossbow also offers additional opportunities to all archery hunters as another choice of equipment to use throughout the season.

In closing we want to express our gratitude to the PGC and the BOC for their continued support of the crossbow these past two years and look forward to permanent full inclusion of crossbows in archery season.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 08:38:06 (permalink)
Gene is right the Sunday hunting as been voted on for several years at the PFSC...

with always a "too close to call" result so the PFSC did nothing.. which I was happy with..
If this was 1999 I'd say let the PGC make the call... but it's not it's 2011....

now that the politicians have thrown out the "pass the buck" to the PGC to make the decision idea it looks like "too close" does not matter to the PFSC...

I'm still working on how this happened... as I posted the last "vote" I am aware of was still "too close to call" and as results no "postion" should have been taken in my opinion... BUT -- if a newer vote was taken .. not sure what to say.. other than who did the voting.. we'll see what I can find out ????

I am well aware of the difference between just Sunday hunting and who gets to decide... if the PGC already had the power to decide I'd not be unhappy.. it's just that this is not the time to push for this to go to the PGC....

The problem lies within the idea of doing it now when the PGC is already fighting battles amongst the hunters in the state... adding more unhappy hunters to the equation at this time is not very good thinking in my opinion.

You can see that even most here that are "not happy PGC folks" do not believe the PGC will not automatically add deer to the list just to kill more of them... so you take them (unhappy deer hunters)and add those that will lose land to posting, many landowner are holding onto to leaving the land open... add another day to kill even more of the deer on their land will result in it getting closed and those that are just against Sunday hunting and the numbers opposing the PGC grow and grow....

and that's Good ??????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/12 08:41:28
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 08:50:22 (permalink)

You can see that even most here that are "not happy PGC folks" do not believe the PGC will not automatically add deer to the list just to kill more of them... so you take them (unhappy deer hunters)and add those that will lose land to posting, many landowner are holding onto to leaving the land open... add another day to kill even more of the deer on their land will result in it getting closed and those that are just against Sunday hunting and the numbers opposing the PGC grow and grow....

and that's Good ??????

These are all assumptions and speculation.  A regulatory transfer will not affect anybody unless actions are taken.  If actions are proposed we then discuss and lobby.

The fact is in the majority of the United States,  Sunday hunting is alive and well with no measurable negative consequences.  

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 08:53:51 (permalink)
Just a hypothetical question.

It is often stated in these discussions that Sunday hunting will result in killing more deer (some say that is the reason for the push ofr it, others believe it is to provide more hunting day opportunties to the working hunter).

How many more deer do you think would be killed if Sundays were added?

Keeping in mind the 80/20 rule in which 20 percent of the hunters contribute heavily to the 15% success rate (or whatever one wants ot argue it is) for all hunters most of the time, while the other 80% only contribute once in a while, but not on a consistent basis.  Under that scenario, the 20% that contribute heavily to the 15% success rate will still do so, but perhaps on a different day of the week, pehpas not.  As an example, if the season still starts on Monday and a high percentage of the successful hunters (I think think it is somehting north of 60%) harvest a deer on Monday, then the following Sundays are taken out of the equation altogether and mean nothng for them.  That would leave the harvest on Sundays to fall to those that typically don't do very well.  Since simply adding another day or two to the rifle season will not automatically make them super hunters, how many more deer would actually be harvested because of the change?

I don't know.

Has anyone seen a study on this?  Perhaps from a state that permits Sunday hunting.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 10:43:36 (permalink)
Historically, the majority of deer killed in any state are on the first day and the weekends. Sometimes the second day fits in there also. Remember Alt saying that his big mistake was starting doe season on a Sat because the large influx of hunters also contributed to a larger than expected buck kill. More deer are automatically harvested on days when there are the most hunters in the woods moving them around. Just by the fact that there would be more hunters in the woods on a Sunday than even a Sat means that every stump sitter has an increased chance of having a deer moving in front of him. Most states have research showing that if you want to do the digging.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 11:03:04 (permalink)
If, and that is a big if, firearms deer is considered for expansion of Sunday hunting, I would expect only the Sunday in the middle of our existing season to be looked at. 

Historically, the first day followed by the first Saturday then the last Saturday are our largest harvests.  The first Tuesday is close as well and I think fourth overall.

I would expect pressure on that Sunday to be less than the two Saturdays because of travel issues and work responsibilities on Monday. Harvest maybe on par with the first Tuesday?  Just speculation at this point and a long way from ever occuring. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/04/12 11:04:25

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 12:27:09 (permalink)
I can see where it might increase hunters in the woods that may have an effect on success, but then again, maybe not.  Except for those that hunt in groups, if they harvest a deer (or as many as they have tags for), they go home.  If it is the middle Sunday that is included, those that harvest deer the first week, which would include the opening day and the first Saturday, would not be in the woods come Sunday.  Those that are, unless they are very local, as dpms points out, might not put in a full day due to work issues on Monday.

I do beleive their will be some increase in harvest, there just has to be, but the questions become, how much more harvest and can that increase be mitigated via license allotments (antlerless only, obviously) and still provide the average 3-day PA hunter with a 4th day if they so choose to take advantage of the opportunity?

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 12:44:31 (permalink)
Guys, you can't argue it both ways, the reason you and nearly everyone else on here wants Sunday hunting is because you want more time to hunt to increase your chances of success. MANY on here have stated that because of work issues Sunday is the best chance they have of a full day to hunt. If folks didn't expect Sunday to increase their chances to be successful there would be no push for it. It's not just deer either, all our game species are on a downward trend population wise. I understand why folks who work want to hunt Sunday but what good is another day to push the population further downward. We all lose in the end.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Sportsmans orgs and Sunday hunting 2011/04/12 12:55:09 (permalink)
So what do we lose? 

It must be easy to say all of that when you are retired and get to hunt nearly every day. 
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to: