Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
straw
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/04 15:14:43 (permalink)

April Steelhead

I will be going to the SR in mid-April with a buddy from Cali. He is a real FLY BRAIN. Will there be any Steel in the river. Or are we just going for river chubs?
Thanks
Straw

65 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/04 15:42:29 (permalink)
    Depending on water temp you may hit the spawn quite nicely. Year before last in a trib of the Salmon around the 16th it was full of spawners. Last year in the same area they were in and out before that however the drop backs in the river hit quite well.
    In a different spot up  river I have found Steel spawning for 3 years straight all the way to  mid & late May.
    good luck - its a great time to fish.
        BTW - although I have never done it I would strongly recomend to any newcomer that a float trip with a river guide will shorten the learning curve here tremendously and practically guarantee a great trip.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/04 15:44:40
    gremlinchaser
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/04 16:36:01 (permalink)
    Hey Straw, I agree with Retired. I was up April 8th to the 12th last year and did very well in the upper river. River was very low (285 cfs) due to lack of snow. Don't know what the conditions will bring with the snow melt but you should hit it at the right time! Good Luck!
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/04 17:50:34 (permalink)
    If you hit a fresh spawner that entered the river recently - you will have a chance to catch a nice fish.

The drop-backs are worn-out, skinny, and banged up. They are basically starving and will hit just about anything - #1 bait - nightcrawlers #1 fly - wooley bugger doused with Liquid Powerbait.

I would not waste my money paying for a guides services for dropbacks.

They are so easy to catch - a caveman can do it.

I see very little challenge fishing to the Salmon River Steelhead in April. A good portion of the dropbacks become floaters due to the non-stop harrasement by the hordes of Cavemen...

p.s. some folks will not like my post - but it is the truth...

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/04 17:54:49
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/04 18:08:23 (permalink)
    Straw,April is a good time to fish but you may get high and muddy if it's raining and snow melt.If that happens hit the small tribs as a fall back plan:)
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/04 19:10:00 (permalink)
    I dont pretend to have the experience that Drake has but it always seemed to me that the pre spawn fish around early to mid April and the drop backs can be two very different things.
    Also some of the fish I have caught up into May seem to be kind of fresh. Is that just my opinion or do some wait and come in late during April and May to spawn?
      Some days have been a mix of skinny dark drops and other fish that are still quite new looking. They are certainly NOT October fish but I have noted a difference.
    I also agree that garden hackle is a great bait for both. Been using it for a very long time with consistent luck with both the noodle and the fly rod.
        Hey Drake- never tried the power bait thing--thanks for the tip.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/04 19:12:30
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/05 09:32:01 (permalink)
    hi guys back from israel no fish to speak of did get to try my luck there but they are in a big time dry spell
    but straw i am a PA guy and the 2nd Sat of apr is our trout season i love to hit the salmon a couple of days before i do very well on nice steelhead using a cooper john or drifing a white beed i like to fish slow and deep (by the way we go back to PA and stop at a local stream with a couple steeles in the cooler its great to see there face when they see them a lot of guys dont know a steelhead from a rainbow.) good luck and stay dry
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/05 15:41:41 (permalink)
    Hey retired, those fresh fish might just be dropbacks that are changing back to their lake colors. Just saying.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/05 21:04:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jonnyfishon

Hey retired, those fresh fish might just be dropbacks that are changing back to their lake colors. Just saying.

I always thought that the steelhead don't turn back to silver until they reach the deep waters of the lake...Is that true?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/05 23:42:58 (permalink)
    From what I understand they do get silver again while dropping back while still in the river.I remember catching spawned out fish that were silver in early May.
    The last few years I've been fishing the Ohio tribs in the spring,there they have the Manistee strain that run the rivers late winter and spring.Great fishing out there and there are several nice streams to try.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/05 23:45:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ssgt12

hi guys back from israel no fish to speak of did get to try my luck there but they are in a big time dry spell
    but straw i am a PA guy and the 2nd Sat of apr is our trout season i love to hit the salmon a couple of days before i do very well on nice steelhead using a cooper john or drifing a white beed i like to fish slow and deep (by the way we go back to PA and stop at a local stream with a couple steeles in the cooler its great to see there face when they see them a lot of guys dont know a steelhead from a rainbow.) good luck and stay dry

ssgt,are there rivers to fish in Israel?If so,what do they fish for?
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/07 05:53:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: jonnyfishon

I always thought that the steelhead don't turn back to silver until they reach the deep waters of the lake...Is that true?
    Nope--almost all have their silver on by the time they hit Dougies place.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/07 06:30:20 (permalink)
    Pafisher & Metal:

Thanks for the info. I only fished for the droppies a couple of times,it was mid river around Pineville, and the Steelies I saw/caught looked worn out and black&blue.

I recall reading articles and interweb postings that the deep dark waters of Lake O turns them back to chrome, but if you guys say otherwise via first-hand accounts - I believe you.

p.s. - does Dougie charge the fish to pass though "his water" on their way back to the lake?
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/07 06:31:52
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 05:08:10 (permalink)
    Actually almost all of the droppies down there r in really good shape--multiple jumps ect.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 10:28:10 (permalink)
    Hey guys-
     I know this isnt my post but the info coming along is really great for all of us. I never realised those silver fish were spawned out and getting back up to snuff. Always thought they were late runners. The more you think ya know the less you really do.
     Still think those guys will have a great time on the river in mid April if the weather holds. But then the Pulaski area weather is a real fickle thing year round.
    straw
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 10:30:14 (permalink)
    Guys, Thanks for the info. We will cover alot of the river. I just don't want to deal with high water.  But I do know of a few bars where we can past the time.
    Straw
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 10:41:38 (permalink)
    Hey Straw- Different strokes-
      My opinion of HIGH water is 1200- I hate it. Many guys up there think thats the best time to fish.
    Different guys fish a bit differently and it gives them  different comfort levels. So when you read this stuff sometimes it depends whos doing the writing.
       I was fishing a real high feeder once and was not comfortable with it. A guy came along who told me how he had cleaned up there a week or so before when the REAL snow melt was happening. He was moaning that the water was going down.
      Me- I like a nice 500 to 600  maybe even up to 900 and then I hear guys saying there is NO water. Perhaps the only real issue for most is MUDDY water and then thers  guys who do OK in that too.
    Generally during muddy runoff you can take a look at feeders cause they tend to clear faster.
       BOTTOM LINE- fish when you can its better than looking out the window.
        BTW-take a look at Whitakers Post and look at the Photo section - a few  April Steel in it-some may still look like the later March fish too.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/08 10:50:24
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 13:59:13 (permalink)
    draketrutta,
    On the West Coast, I might agree w/ you about fishing for drop backs.
    (They run 200 to 300 miles to reach their spawning grounds and back.)
    -
    BUT, as you have NOT expressed, those are mostly wild Steel, and not the millions, that we stock in N.Y.
    DAAAAA...................
    -
    They run maybe 12 miles at most?
    -
    The East coast and the West coast have 2 different views, as Im sure you are well aware, of fishing for drop backs? ? (maybe not :)
    -
    We have never seen a decrease in fishing #'s. (over all - Spring - Fall or Winter) when targeting drop backs here on the East coast.
    -
    I might suggest that you do a lil more.....?
    Before you post your mis-informed .......
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    P.S. draketrutta,
    I mean no disrespect.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 15:05:36 (permalink)
    Randy:

Thanks for your input.

I understand the difference between West Coast Wilds and Lake O Stockies and the distance they travel.

The West Coast steelies sure do take a beating traveling hundreds of miles.
    The SR Steelies sure do take a beating in their 13 mile journey as they are caught over & over & over & over & over & over and have their picture taken more than a runway Super-Model.

I was not preaching to the choir that my opinion was the absolute truth. I was expressing my comment about what I read and heard (not West Coast articles) - but Lake O trib articles and previous posts on Al Gore's interwebs made by other experienced SR fishermen and Guides - who I thought had the expertise to believe.

I also understood that exposure to sunlight (in addition to spawn mode) was also a determining factor that makes the Steelhead change color - especially their tops (or backs) as part of natural defense against predators (not us two-legged Neandrathals wearing rubber suits ).

Guess I was wrong, guess the previous articles and expert Guide testimony on the subject was wrong too.

Thanks for clearing this matter up with your expertise...

Once again - U the Man Randy..

Tight Lines to You...

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 17:28:48 (permalink)
    for sure the drop backs are silver by the time they get to staircase area. i've actually caught spawned out fish that were turning back to silver up high when the water temps were low and flows high... dropbacks in lower river are awesome though. just as metal said, leaps and runs are very common, even on small fish. and pafisher is right with his post straw; definitely watch the flowcasts
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 18:00:00 (permalink)
    Drake,
    Care to name your "so called expert guides and or angler sources?" 
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    www.yankeeangler.com
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 19:13:04 (permalink)
    They are guides that are sponsors on Salmon 'a.k.a SNAGGIN' Crazy.

You used to frequent that site as the #1 resident expert.

Care to tell us why you stopped posting over there???

YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 19:29:57 (permalink)
    We "ALL"  appreciate your expertise on this subject!
    Thanks for answering my simple Q. (Names of your so called experts?)
    -
    Haveing only fished 1 or 2 times? for Spring Steelies?
    Caught 1 and 2?
    -
    Thanks for your expertise!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    www.yankeeangler.com
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 20:18:11 (permalink)
    RJ - I never claimed to be an expert at anything. My experience fishing for April dropbacks is limited - for the simple reason
    that I do not find any challenge whatsoever when it comes to fishing to dropbacks (those fish are hungrier than a hooker waiting on the dock as a Navy ship drops it's sailors off for shore leave..

I much prefer fishing the Pa streams during April for native brookies and wild browns- far far away from the hordes of the SR "Spring Break" crowd.

As far as me dropping guide names, how in Haydes am I supposed to remember who said what a few years ago - especially when it involves a mundane topic like fish turning colors.

Thanks for answering my question about why you exited stage left from SC.. Unlike fish colors, it was a memorable event. But I'll let it up to you whether you want to share it with the world.

keep tossing stones Randolph,

I'll lob boulders back at ya...

as always,

Tight Lines to Ya..
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/08 20:28:51
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 21:24:48 (permalink)
    Who really cares why he quit posting there? The point is he did the right thing in doing so.
    Even I caught a few db's btw. Very not my style. Saggy bellies not my thing.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/08 23:08:47 (permalink)
    HEY HEY NOW- lets all be fair here- I was in the Navy and there is NOTHING on Earth hungrier that those "dock waiters".--thank goodness.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/09 01:38:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Who really cares why he quit posting there? The point is he did the right thing in doing so.

just BB'ng ole Randy.. It's an inside joke that will not be revealed. Besides, it was just internet BS that did not amount to a hill of beans..

I will give props to Mr Jones - he is a very knowledgeable fishermen who knows his chit, and he always offered up info.
    His website (although simply designed with no frills, bells & whistles) was the #1 resource for info before the "new & improved" IT geek boards became popular.

Nothing wrong with simplicity - heck - look at this site - who the heck needs video uploads and gimmicks like SC has - when noone will even post a friggin report on that site anymore.

One more thing about Mr. Jones - I've never heard or read a single word where he berated another fishermen for keeping their legally caught fish - a big step above the PETA dimwits that took over SC and basically brought the reports traffic to a screeching halt.

Just tossing marbles back & forth with RJ - he's a big boy with a thick skin and I'm pretty damm sure my BS runs off his back like water from a duck..

Tight Lines - (copyright Randy Jones) - I recall first seeing those words in print on his Yankee Angler website..
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/09 01:45:39
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/09 01:42:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

HEY HEY NOW- lets all be fair here- I was in the Navy and there is NOTHING on Earth hungrier that those "dock waiters".--thank goodness.

RT - by any chance, did you mean to type "dock waitresses"?

If not, no problem man. No man is an island, especially in the middle of the ocean - not that there is anything wrong with that...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/09 07:43:37 (permalink)
    They asked me to not post there.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: April Steelhead 2011/02/09 07:44:34 (permalink)
    Sorry that was a lie.
    They told me not to post there.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: