steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys

Author
fishonthecurb
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/28 21:55:28 (permalink)

steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys

hey guys im new to the forum and new to fishing, ive been fishing since i was 5, but i stopped and just picked up the sport again 3 years ago. i never river fish in the winter and i heard steelhead fishing is the bomb, i fish about 3 - 4 days a week but never during the winter, and i cant wait anymore. what type of bait should i use, how much weight should i use, to drift the river. i never seen a steelhead in real life and plan on doing the do? what times should i go in the midwest michigan? what size line? help me out guys, im a virgin. and im sorry if i name dropped a location and shouldnt, i know fishermen have there own set of rules. oh yea im in muskegon, michigan and i plan on going tommorrow the 29th of january
post edited by fishonthecurb - 2011/01/28 22:00:18

6 Replies Related Threads

fishonthecurb
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/28 23:55:15 (permalink)
    ok everyone a fisherman on another forum told me to use spawn but i nee4d to know if i use sucker spawn or steelhead spawn
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/29 10:34:19 (permalink)
    this is erie pa not michigan

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/29 13:41:43 (permalink)
    This site is predominantly related to steelhead alley (OH, PA, and NY). However, though michigan steelhead are not a "put-n-take" fish like they are over here and are far more difficult to catch (IMO), they share a joy of a similar menu. So, here's what I suggest:

1) Use at least a 7wt rod
    2) Use a 9ft leader, last 2 ft should be flouro
    3) Use enough split shot to bounce your flies off the bottom
    4) Try sight fishing first-dead drift your fly right onto their nose
    5) Black nose dace, wooly buggers, green caddis, BH nymphs and various egg patterns like sucker spawn and clown eggs
    6) Sizes 6-14

If your lucky, you'll get into some brown trout as well. Good luck, hope you find some soft water.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/29 14:15:14 (permalink)
    welcome back, halupka. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/29 18:58:53 (permalink)
    wow! you have open water in MI this time of year? we're champing at the bit here in NW PA for a melt to open things up or drilling holes at the mouths of the tribs. good for you!
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: steelhead question on muskegon river questions help me guys 2011/01/29 21:15:13 (permalink)
    Go North to the Manistee, at Tippy dam. Use spawn sacks and a float.
    Jump to: