Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
walleye taker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/28 13:41:33 (permalink)

Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning )

I see the DCNR is still going to keep Tuttle camp ground closed again this year. Thanks Mr. Park manager for screwing up vacation again this year for hundreds of campers.

And I also have a question why is it that the DCNR can open the gate to Tuttle's for ice fishing but keep the gate lock for the spring and summer guys. That way we can still launch from there. That would make access to the lake a lot easier for people that still fish that end of the lake.

I think we should all call the park office and asked them to open the boat ramp at Tuttle this year.( Considering we the PA residents have bought and paid for it.)

31 Replies Related Threads

papermouth
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/28 13:51:40 (permalink)
    well said  walleye taker i agree. i was under the impression the ramp was open
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/28 13:57:25 (permalink)
    walleye, where are you launching from now? we will be fishing out of linesville this year again. just to let you know (if you remember last spring i was out of work due to a plant closure) well things are good again back working like they say things have a way of working themselves out. last year i was pretty stressed. i'm pappy go lucky again!
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/28 14:15:23 (permalink)
    Paper Mouth

That is good news I am glad things worked out for you. And I hope your crew is doing well also.

I launch from all over now that the park is closed. Last year we drove to Wilson's and launch from there a good bit. It is a long drive but even a slower boat ride to fish for crappies now. But I would Rather drive the truck and make better time.

So your going to make linesville home again this year I hope the weather is better this year then last. Heading to Cabela's tomorrow with my Mom & Dad we are ready to go. this weather sucks. Picking up some new worm harnesses for walleye that we lost last year. I can't wait to get on the water.

I will be taking my camper up sometime in April and the boat soon after for the year. I just ordered a New F250 6.7 diesel should be here some time in march. I am ready to go.
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/29 14:42:01 (permalink)
    congrats on the new truck. hope to see ya on the water soon!
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/29 20:03:06 (permalink)
    just fished tuttle for the first time today and cant believe that area wouldnt be available for fishermen to access the water during the summer...what a joke
    petrulak
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/29 21:59:46 (permalink)
    how did you do there today?how was the ice?
    Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/01/29 22:04:09 (permalink)
    Ice at Tuttle was 8 or 9 inches of good black ice with an inch or two of frozen snow on top.  Caught a few crappies & a few perch.  Marked a lot more fish on the south end of the lake later in the day.
    drill4gills
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 11:23:59 (permalink)
    if you are going to tuttle just turn left when you get to the gate that's manning BOAT LAUNCH . what makes me mad is the lack of care tuttle campground gets , they must not mow at all because my first time in after they opened the gate this winter i could not believe the bunchgrass grown up this lack of care will only lead to higher reopening cost and many problems surrounding the extended closure . they the park management should start a rotation of campground closures so no individual campground would be closed more than one year i e open tuttle and close linesville on an alternating basis year to year
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 12:31:36 (permalink)
    Thats the plan. They will never reopen the park. The park manager has wanted it closed for years and has continued to let it go down hill and will do so until it will cost to much to reopen.

You should see it in the summer I walked back in last summer and they were not mowing it. At the beach area there is small trees and jagger bushes already starting to over run the place.

What a waste of the tax payers money. I hope this guy is out of the park system soon for that area he has done nothing but run all the camp grounds down but jamestown. Which seems to be his pet project.

Also he gets to live and stay in a house payed for by the tax payers ( when you cross the dam the house that sits on the left coming from james town ) why does he not pay rent.

And I have driven by that house and have seen him in his drive way many times during the weekday washing his boat. At around 1:00 pm in the afternoon. Why is he not working.

I keep hearing he is going to retire soon I hope so!!! Then maybe we can get someone that cares about the place and maybe reopen tuttle.

What a waste!!! I.M.O
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 12:54:25 (permalink)
    +1
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 18:14:10 (permalink)
    1. Park Managers DO pay rent, and utilities
    2. During spring/summer Park Managers work weekends and often off hours to mirror the busiest times of the season. Not wierd to see them during the week at their house.
    3. PMs do not decide their park's funding. Blame the State, not the individual PM. He can't run everything with the bureaus and individual park's budgets being cut every year.
    3. The whole point of shutting part of a park down is to eliminate it from needing maintenenace or any other costs. Why would you pay to mow someplace thats closed?
    4. I heard that Tuttle was experiencing less than 18% occupancy. Why keep paying to have it open when its obvious that the area is under-utilized for what it costs.

before you start making statements like that, maybe you should educate yourself a bit?
    post edited by SonofZ3 - 2011/02/25 18:15:56

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 21:45:53 (permalink)
    First off let me start by saying I do agree with some of what you say ( Sonofz3 ).
    That he is not solely responsible for the decline of tuttle camp. But it is his job as the park manager to make sure there is enough money to go around and keep all three parks open. Just like the Managers before him did year end and year out.

I have educated myself on this subject and know exactly how the legislative process works form the Governor, to the Treasury,D.C.N.R ,to the local and state representatives.

Bottom line I have seen with my own two eyes form camping there for over 30 years plus, how the park has declined under his Management ( tuttle ) while the others have had improvements done to them year after year. Jamestown , linesville.

I was there when they took the trees from tuttle and traded for gravel and most of it went to Jamestown. How they have black top the roads all through Jamestown, and tuttles goes untouched year after year. Listen I am not going to go through this again and will probably not camp there if they would open it again.

But the people of this state (Campers) have been disenfranchised by this management and the people that run the park. And it makes me mad as Hell!!!.

You can believe what you want and I am sure by the way you defend the Management that you know him. And that's what makes this a great country. Because I Disagree to Disagree with what you say and how the park is run.

The people of PA should call the Governor , the D.C.N.R , there Local and State Representatives, and the Park office everyday and demand they balance the books and reopen the park. So all of Pennsylvanians can once again enjoy tuttle campground before it is to late.

I am a life resident of P.A and enjoy camping and fishing the parks across the state and it is time everyone get involved and steps up and not stand around waiting for someone else to do it for them.

Good luck to all this season and good fishing and maybe someday people will care again enough to make a difference. This is just M.H.O

post edited by walleye taker - 2011/02/25 21:48:41
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 21:53:56 (permalink)
    I don't know the manager at that park, but I know the Park System somewhat. I know parks have been hit hard for a few years, with man hours and materials running low. You could be right about mis management, I don't work there. I do know that managers do pay rent for housing though, and are required to live there. Sounds good at first, but I think being required to live at work would get old real fast.

We'll see what happens under the new governor, but I don't know anyone that is hopeful. I think low job loss and not having to close entire parks might be as good as it gets at this point.

OHWM
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 22:03:06 (permalink)
    For the sake of the P.A resident's lets hope not. I think the good people of this State will prevail one day. And people will stand behind their words and a handshake still means something. Until then I will always do my part to try and right the wrong.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 22:05:31 (permalink)
    If the governor looks at the economic impact of parks on economies compared to what they take to stay open everything should be good, that hasn't worked in the past though.

Pymatuning will stay open even if other smaller parks close. Its one of the biggest, and probably one of the higher revenue generating, parks.

OHWM
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 22:11:56 (permalink)
    I agree,the lake will survive as it has for many years with the ups and downs it has gone through. The closing of tuttle has hurt the local economy in that area. And maybe they will prove me wrong and reopen one day.

But I won't hold my breath!! lol!!
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 22:18:06 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't either. Its hard to get something re-opened, get funding back, once its left go.

OHWM
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/25 22:24:54 (permalink)
    I hear you and say that's what this forum is for to get the information out there and get people involved. That's all anyone can do at this point. And hope that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1257
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 08:51:22 (permalink)
    That was a good discussion guys I agree with you Walleye Taker.ou Down my way you should see Raccoon Creek State Park. It was one of the most beautiful state patks around if not the most!!You should see it All the picnic tables are all warped and bowed the cabins are all delapidated.the.unkept grass,a couple port a pottys. Here in pittsburgh area they can find funding for lots of stuff the pens,steelers and pnc park but for joe Q public forget it!!!! What i think is a bigger shame is what the state does for us boaters!!!!!!! Check some of the launch ramps we have!!!!! in pittsburgh we have one. my rant is over.

icenut
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 14:26:48 (permalink)
    walleye taker, they are having the same problems on my side of the lake. so many old time campers have left the state park to go elsewhere, mostly to private campgrounds. sure has changed over the last 30 years or so.

walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 15:18:14 (permalink)
    I guess that's part of my problem also. I am a die hard tuttle camper and have a hard time with this whole closing thing. There are so many ways they could raise money to support the camp and keep it open but they do nothing.

I have personally move on and found another camp and I am happy there. Just a shame I won't be able to share the time and experience with my Nephews and Niece over the years from tuttle.

Times change and so do we. I will do my best to pass on what my parents passed on to me and my family.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 17:57:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ICE NUT

That was a good discussion guys I agree with you Walleye Taker.ou Down my way you should see Raccoon Creek State Park. It was one of the most beautiful state patks around if not the most!!You should see it All the picnic tables are all warped and bowed the cabins are all delapidated.the.unkept grass,a couple port a pottys. Here in pittsburgh area they can find funding for lots of stuff the pens,steelers and pnc park but for joe Q public forget it!!!! What i think is a bigger shame is what the state does for us boaters!!!!!!! Check some of the launch ramps we have!!!!! in pittsburgh we have one. my rant is over.

icenut

You do realize park funding comes from the state's genral fund, whereas funding for local sports teams comes from any number of places. Its completely different sources of funding.

OHWM
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3105
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 21:22:50 (permalink)
    DCNR should sell the campground or possibly lease the day to day operations to keep it open

post edited by psu_fish - 2011/02/26 21:23:43
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 22:42:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

DCNR should sell the campground or possibly lease the day to day operations to keep it open

sheer genius, for sure. why hasn't that ever been put out there? at least the state would gain a bit of revenue for the rest of the park. man, that would make one beautiful private campground also.

kudospsu

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 22:46:14 (permalink)
    let the unions from wisconsin run it
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 22:51:54 (permalink)
    bet they do a better job than the gov.

wish fisherie would buy it. admiin, great investment property.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 22:52:22 (permalink)
    wow, ya think the state would or could sell it?

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 23:00:41 (permalink)
    I think the only way to sell it legally would be for the PA General Assembly to pass a bill and have Corbett sign it.
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tuttle Camp Ground ( Pymatuning ) 2011/02/26 23:39:09 (permalink)
    I know several people that have already inquired about doing just that and the State will not get back to them. Not only that but if Tuttle closes for good , I think the ground may go back to the original owners which was ( Tuttles ). I believe the ground was donated to the state for the camp ground and would remain with them as long as it stayed a camp ground.

It would be nice to get a private owner, and turn it into one of the nicest camps around once again. I know I could make money hand over fist and also make permanent camps open all year long.

All that places needs is some tender love and care and can be one of the best parks in the state.

The state wonders why they only have an 18% occupancy when the bath houses and facility are 30 plus years old. They have done nothing to improve the place in years. People don't want to come and stay in a mud hole.

But hey they have no money, we do are best. SAME SH#T I HAVE HEARD OUT OF P.M MOUTH YEAR AFTER YEAR SINCE HE TOOK OVER. I CALL B.S.!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: