Orvis Waders

Author
Sculpin 14
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 429
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/07 13:09:44 (permalink)

Orvis Waders

I'm going through one the biggest hassles I've ever gone through with fishing equipment. I use to have L.L. Bean waders that I never had any problems with and about 3 years down the road they started leaking, I called they said that they would replace them but they discontinued my wader, but would give me waders of and equal value. Unfortuanatly I did not like the new styles, so they refund my money. I ended up putting the money towards a new pair of Orvis XT Tailwaters. I've had them for 6 months and they start leaking through the seam, I sent them back 3 1/2 weeks ago, and they still haven't done anything with them, I feel that they should be replaced with a new pair, but they said if they can fix them, they would before they replace them, I've since ****ed quite abit, and wont have my wader for the first trip up to Erie this year. Luckaly I have a friend that is not going and is allowing me to use his.

My whole point is how can a company like Orvis, expect fishermen to be without there waders for over a month. I really don't understand how they think that is a legit time frame.

8 Replies Related Threads

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/08 20:59:50 (permalink)
    In 3 years I went through 4 pairs of the Orvis Pro Guide 2 waders.  All leaked on the seams.  I was lucky enough to have bought them from a shop that still allowed me to return them and get a new pair there.  I finally gave up on the stupid things and went to a pair of Simms.  I've had the same pair for 2 seasons now, and other than perspiration, I stay dry.  They seem to build their waders with fewer seems, which is why I think they are better for me.

Sorry to hear about your luck, but now you know better than to buy from them again.  I would try to get a refund and go to another brand.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/08 21:26:51 (permalink)
    if your comming up to erie this weekend the lake erie ultimate angler is having a shindig with casting flytying and demo with door prizes they are also big orvis dealer maybe someone ther could help you out im sticking with cabelas and gander mountain their waders wear like iron
    FreshSteelfeel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/09 08:28:22 (permalink)
    in my experience with any company they never really want to hold up there warranty to well...I stick with cheaper waders so when they rip or leak beyond repair just buy new ones it saves time which equals more fish
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/10 12:29:01 (permalink)
    I can't speak specificaly about Orvis, but I can tell you what a friend told me. "Don't bother with expensive waders. They all leak eventualy, and the cost is not equal to the value. Go get a cheap pair that you won't feel bad about throwing away.". That is from a guy who carries several different manufacturers lines.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/10 13:13:58 (permalink)
    I had a pair of silver labels a few years ago. I got about one year out of them before they started to leak all over. I've owned a lot of brands and have to say Dan Baileys have been the best waders i've owned. The first pair I bought started leaking on a seam a year after I bought them and the shop I bought them from took my old pair wet, and handed me a new pair. I have both the Bailey yellowstone guides and the lightweights, both have held up very well.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/12 03:01:57 (permalink)
    bailey's are good but the repair wader now and don't give new ones, like in the past.  it is a free service.  as for orvis, i talk to a shop owner who had orvis and simms.  he likes simms best but did say that over the past few years orvis waders have gotten better.  he has not had a return this year.
    1FishWorkFish2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Orvis Waders 2007/11/27 08:53:36 (permalink)
    I have a pair of Simms G3 guide waders and while they are definitely not cheap I do believe with things like this you do get what you pay for. They are made in America which I personally always try to support American made products, and they have a lifetime guarantee. Last year I took a spill crossing a railroad bridge and caught them on a rusted piece of scrap metal near the tracks putting a sizeable gash in my waders. I called Simms, was told to send them back and they sent me a new pair. Overall about a 10 day turnaround time for the whole transaction. Hope this helps
    zerolimits
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Simms G3 2007/12/02 10:04:07 (permalink)
    I too was a loyal LL Beanie, owning several pairs of waders over the years.  Several pair because they'd eventually leak after 2-3 seasons.  Unbelievable return policy with Bean, but I didn't like the hassle/unpredictability of when I'd need to send them back.

Decided to scrounge and save to buy a pair of Simms G3's.  As said above, I also agree that you get what you pay for.  Been in these things for 4 seasons now, and I'm still dry as a bone on the inside.  No regrets on dropping the $ for these.
    Jump to: