chasing steelhead

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/12 10:19:07 (permalink)
I got the silver titanium screws from Tractor Supply and did use a little glue to make them stick. One additional suggestion. Line the inside of your boots/waders with Dr. Scholl's Liquid Jel Foot Liners for extra comfort/warmth and a barrier against any screw heads coming through. Really worked well for me and I use about twelve per boot/wader (four around the heel and eight around the toe area-6 on edges and two across mid toe area). They have lasted me two seasons most years. Problem with felt is all the ice that sticks to them and the possibility of carrying water diseases to different streams you fish.

Eagle Ed
ORIGINAL: RichW

Pistol Pete, I bought a couple of years ago Gold Titanium Ice screws used for Ice racing motorcycles.  7/16" 250 per pack.   You can order on internet.    They last all season.  did put a little dab of Gorilla glue into the soles.
worked well on felt. 

pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/12 12:26:11 (permalink)
Eagle, Thanks for advise.I bought my boot foot neoprene waders a year ago from Gander Mt. It was the cheapest way to get in the water on my first salmon trip.I know there are better options but have to watch $ until work picks up.Probably going to grind points off screws to help prevent going all the way through.Korkers just feel so heavy, and they're not cheap.Going up again Sat. , any advise on leader wts. and lengths on both spin and fly gear? I like using a small swivel on spin.I think it helps with twists plus I leave the tag on the leader and attach shot. If I hang up I can usually just pull off shot.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/12 19:31:13 (permalink)
Guys- if your guides ice up you obviously need to allow the Fish to be left alone/get dumb until it warms up a bit.

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/12 23:23:20 (permalink)
two handed/spey casting... i don't care how cold it is... do this in the upper stretches, guides will not freeze too much. maybe every 15-20 minutes... cant beat that
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/13 10:32:08 (permalink)
sure u can ........nice ice cold brew in front of a fire thinkin of times when your guides wont freeze up.i have done waaay waay too many tongue deice jobs on my gear in my steelhead career

I have become comfortably numb
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/13 16:59:32 (permalink)
Salmotrutta and Killer ,waiting for spring may be the smart thing to do but why should I start doing smart things at this stage of my life? Will be up again Sat.. Rich W , just got my screws today. They look like the perfect cheap fix. I will probably use a bunch on my snow blower tires also.Should have bought more. Thanks for your help. I think I will grind the points off first just to make sure they don"t poke through.After the advise I have gotten I'm glad I signed onto the forum.I will let you know how we did when I get back.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/13 18:58:35 (permalink)
I used them screws before. Good workers. My boots now have carbide studs or some crap. I would fish now but things are too busy. And I promised life to never get too busy to fish. WTF happened?

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/13 20:24:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

sure u can ........nice ice cold brew in front of a fire thinkin of times when your guides wont freeze up.i have done waaay waay too many tongue deice jobs on my gear in my steelhead career

that ice cold brewskie soothes the tongue after a long winters steelhead day though killer... for me a sore tongue is worth seeing a few red gill plates flailing in the water,,, especially when a cold brew follows it :)
honestly though, two handed fly casting minimizes deicing a lot. especially when you key in on a spot where you can just leave your line out with out strippin in... hopefully i can post a few pics after my trip this weekend of some red cheeked beauties...
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/14 00:47:11 (permalink)
What a difference a few years makes- red cheeked beauties used to mean something completely different.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/14 00:48:09
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/14 06:48:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

What a difference a few years makes- red cheeked beauties used to mean something completely different.

i'll refrain from commenting on this one, i might get in trouble... lol...
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/14 18:19:04 (permalink)
Alright, I'm sitting in my basement screwing motorcycle ice racing studs into my bootfoot waders.My fingers are covered in Gorilla Glue (I could not get Aquaseal fast enough).Pretty soon the keyboard will be stuck to me. I will either have very cold wet feet tomorrow or be very happy.If they leak, I'll slide my legs into garbage bags first then the waders.Desparate times call for desparate measures.Anyway off at 4:00AM and fishing by 9:00AM. Good Luck to all on the water tomorrow and be safe.Thanks to all who have responded and is it OK to post pix of fish caught not on the SR system?
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/14 19:58:52 (permalink)
Hope you dont trip and fall in the water after all this. Have a great trip- give a report please when you get back.

Used Gorilla around some of my roof screws -great stuff-  skin comes right off with it.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/14 19:59:54
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: