Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/05 17:39:52 (permalink)

chasing steelhead

New to forum but have been watching for a while.Everybody sounds great except for the cyber bully that wants to fight everybody at the bar. First time up was last year during salmon,not my idea of a relaxing day fishing.Hit tribs this year and ran into guys that were free with instruction and help.Heading up with a fly rod and reel for the first time to chase steel.Will be fishing Salmon River area, any helpful advise? My softball and basketball days are now over due to back surgery so I've come back to a sport I've always loved-fishing.

41 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/05 19:01:48 (permalink)
    Hi Pete,
    Last Salmon season wasnt generally what you get up there cause of the huge floods early in the season. Some will say awww it was still great but for a first timer it was probably unusually tough fishing. Going during the prime time next year will probably be a much better experience--not that this years was awful but look forward to BETTER.
    Im still an underdog with Steel but am sure some of the guys will be on soon with excellent advice, its a pretty decent bunch here and they are quick with great advice. The one thing I will say though is you need to be a lot lighter for Steel than Salmon even though they can be a big fish. I like a noodle rod or a 6 wt fly rod-Good luck .
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/05 19:18:48
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/05 19:50:44 (permalink)
    Hey Retired,thanks for getting back.My move to fly gear has been slow and I have resisted every step of the way.My buddy has got me started with some gear now I'm on the slippery slope into the abyss.Got some steel a week or so before Christmas on some smaller water. Those spots starting to close up I understand so going to try the big river again.Don't mind sharing but shoulder to shoulder is a little much during salmon.Will probably start drifting eggs then switch to artificial if we get a couple.This may offend "purists" but time is short.Besides it may be a good way to get used to fly gear.Can anyone offer advise on screwing cleats into boot foot waders, good idea or bad concerning leaks?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/05 20:44:06 (permalink)
    I'm a bait guy too with the fly rod- bugs are really different. Been at it all year and starting to like it---grudgingly.
    Never did the screw in stuff. Like the stocking waders with the boots that already have pins  in them. The strap ons are a pain in the butt and heavy as heck however they work well -For the price though you can get the boots that already have the pins  and they are a whole lot more comfy. Waders and boots purchased up in Pulaski are about as cheap ( shop around a bit) as you can get anywhere and give you options that boot footed do not.
     I went most of this whole year wearing my old boots with no pins whatsoever-just the felt. As long as you do not try and walk fast stuff on slate or just too deep they are fine.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/05 20:45:45
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/05 22:04:19 (permalink)
    hey pete are you from ct ???

I have become comfortably numb
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 07:03:41 (permalink)
    Dear Pete - the bars in Pooolaski are quite tame.

You might run into a buzzed-up bully once in a blue-moon if you go to the End Zone bar or that ramshackle hole-in the wall on Rte 11 (Ma Parkers??).

I wouldn't know - if I do hang at bars, I stay up around Altmar or Kaesog, or even Willamstown (the lady bartenders there wear low-cut tops - which has a soothing effect on the bar bullies that hang there).

Keep you worm in the water, not in your hand..

your pal,

Draketrutta.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 17:34:43 (permalink)
    Hey Killer, Not from CT. grew up in north Jersey now live in Orange county NY. Did a lot of work in Stamford though during the boom. Depending where you are might not be that far. My boys have played many baseball games in Ct. Why? Looking for a ride-could happen one day.Good to hear from you.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 17:38:29 (permalink)
    Hey Drake, face to face bulllies fall quickly. The cyber ones are more fun. You steal their ID then post it all over. Those idiots usually use the same password for everything. Anyway let's talk fishing only.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 18:53:28 (permalink)
    Lighten up Pete, tight panties cut the bloodflow.

At least a few of us post regularly to keep this place alive. A little bit of controversy, banter, and BBng is part of the game.

Start posting some interesting stuff to discuss, instead of coming out of the woodwork whining..

btw - Welcome aboard..

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 21:02:37 (permalink)
    hey pete i'm a north jersey boy myself and my wife is from orange county... welcome aboard... if you're going to use bait on the fly rod you should use light weight and cast upstream to let the bait/eggs come downstream towards you with a drag free drift. for winter fishing i recomend boot foots rather than stocking for cold feet purposes. also, corkers over your boot foots are best way to go. i never step foot in that river with out spikes on. granted there are many upper river spots that don't necessarily call for spikes, but i hate putting them on and off. i fish a lot of lower river pocket water as well though, where spikes are a necessity. so i just have boot foot waders in which the korkers are on at all times.i'm looking to go up next weekend and the first weekend in feb. good luck.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 21:19:37 (permalink)
       Dime is right on with the upper/lower observation. My fishing is usually up where there are smaller stones and gravel while Dime fishes a lot down below with slate and rocks. Always seems to be more real fast areas down below too.
      Might see you around this weekend Dime -gonna give it a try Sunday and Monday.
    What color and size eggs do you suggest? Got some teeny little number 10 blue streamers and some buggers for aggravating myself after a sac hook up or two,.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/06 21:27:48
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/06 21:34:46 (permalink)
    white, blue, black, orange, pink... smaller sacs if you have em retired. i tie my own myself usually with trout eggs as i find they produce more and are smaller as well. i'm up next weekend though, not this weekend. try a pink worm with a drag free drift (key phrase drag free). if you're goiong to fish flies i recomend stone flies, hares ears, and wooly worms... size 8-12... the bright gaudy patterns can produce, but if i'm finding the more natural the nymph looks, the better it works in the winter. it pays to not pull your knot all the way tight as well; it gives the fly a little more finesse in the water. good luck, and if you're up next weekend i'll be happy to meet you on the water.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/07 16:24:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advise everybody.Now just counting down to 4:00 AM.This is a one day shot so we need to hit em hard and fast. We'll see if the silver-sided ones cooperate.Will let you know how it went on Sunday.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/08 06:23:28 (permalink)
    let us know for sure pete. my brother is up also but with his new grilfriend, so i don't know how much fishing he'll get in... hopefully some...
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/08 09:17:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete76

Thanks for the advise everybody.Now just counting down to 4:00 AM.This is a one day shot so we need to hit em hard and fast. We'll see if the silver-sided ones cooperate.Will let you know how it went on Sunday.

For spikes: buy a box of 1/2" size 12 hexhead screws. Run them in with a battery drill. Takes 5 minutes at most. I have done this to 4 pairs of hip boots, waders, etc., with no leaks. I also did this with 2 pair old style corkers when the original studs wore down.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/08 12:17:22 (permalink)
    glen, do you use an adhesive on the screws?

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/08 16:12:18 (permalink)
    glen is right with the screws, i've known a few guys to do that. i prefer a point to the head of my spikes though. i fish some very hairy water sometimes and the pointed tips make me feel more safe. just my preference. hey glen. do you use a washer so the head of the screw doesn't shift???
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/09 10:28:40 (permalink)
    Fishing slow on Saturday.Even drift boats complaining.I landed one real small and my buddy lost one on a jump that was well over ten lbs.and thas the extent of it.All action was late in the day.Thirteen degrees when we hit the water but it felt much warmer.Still a great trip visited a friend in Richland then headed home.Used spin gear most of the time do to icing on fly rod.Does guide paste work? Starting to plot our next trip.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/09 10:36:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Glen that was info I needed on cleats.I'll use stainless I guess and will probably grind the points flat for a little insurance against poking through.Might try a dab of glue also.My YakTrax took a beating yesterday but got me through the day.Thanks again for the reply.
    RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/09 11:19:45 (permalink)
    Pistol Pete, I bought a couple of years ago Gold Titanium Ice screws used for Ice racing motorcycles.  7/16" 250 per pack.   You can order on internet.    They last all season.  did put a little dab of Gorilla glue into the soles.
    worked well on felt. 
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/09 14:18:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete76

Fishing slow on Saturday.Even drift boats complaining.I landed one real small and my buddy lost one on a jump that was well over ten lbs.and thas the extent of it.All action was late in the day.Thirteen degrees when we hit the water but it felt much warmer.Still a great trip visited a friend in Richland then headed home.Used spin gear most of the time do to icing on fly rod.Does guide paste work? Starting to plot our next trip.

hey pete, when its real cold air temps along with cold water temps, i try to fish the upper stretches of the river with 2 handed fly rod. this limits stripping in of line which keeps wet line out of the guides. also, castign with two handed rod tends to whip the water off the line. using a bobber on the spinning rod or a centerpin also helps keep your line out of the water which limits guide freezing. i believe i've heard old salt mention something about guide paste working well for him so it's worth a shot. i've never used it myself, but i fish winter months pretty regularly and the above methods effectively limit guide freezing. one other pointer that makes a difference is when stripping excessive amounts of line is necessary, strip vigorously while wiggling the rod, this also helps prevent guide freezing... i'm heading up next weekend for sure and also the first weekend of february (when big fresh males are very common in the lower river). good luck
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/09 23:01:20 (permalink)
    you can try all kinds of remedies for guide freezing but fact is atleast for me ....once temps go below 20 degrees farenheight NOTHING can prevent ice build up, jus gotta basically lick each individual eyelet till de ices,,, many a sore tongue for sure lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/10 17:12:15 (permalink)
    Hey Killer, I've licked worse. Whatever works, LOL.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/10 17:15:27 (permalink)
    Rich W, great advise thanks. The racing studs are already ordered, thanks a lot. Don't have the cash to upgrade waders right now but this should help. Got the fever BAD, going back this Saturday.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/10 17:18:24 (permalink)
    Dime, just getting into the fly thing but my buddy is going to try his spey rod.Thanks for advise.Hey ,where in Jersey? I'm from Dumont.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/10 19:42:21 (permalink)
    westwood here pete. i bet if i rolled off a few names you'd know most of em, there's a good chance you know me too...
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/11 18:13:17 (permalink)
    Dime, I'm just getting into the fly gear so I just don't know. Maybe need to spend some time on the local pond in the spring to learn. Just tired of twisted line on spin gear. My buddy is bringing his spey rod on Sat. but I'm just not there yet. Fly rod will work for me right now as long as I'm just flipping but the longer drifts may be out of reach right now.I'm sure I would do ok on smaller tribs but a lot are pretty much closed up.Anyway got the fever and will try again this Sat.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/11 18:25:24 (permalink)
    i'll be up myself too pete. i was referring to people from dumont though. i know a lot...
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/11 18:59:34 (permalink)
    Dime, I was referring to previous comment on two-handed rods. Anyway it's all good. Good luck this weekend-the tug is the drug.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: chasing steelhead 2011/01/11 23:03:01 (permalink)
    two handed fly rod is a gift my friend. i strongly recommend it.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: