Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/09 09:28:07 (permalink)

License checks

This came up in another thread on here and is one of my pet peeves. How many of you have been hunting and had a WCO come up to you or your tree, just to check your license?

One of the reasons our local WCO gives me that a wallet license would be a bad thing is that he would have to "disturb more hunters to check for licenses".

When I hunt other states thier wardens have the courtesy to wait at my vehicle or somewhere that will not disturb my hunt if they want to see my license, not charge up to my tree at 6:15 pm to check a license.

Now if I am committing some sort of violation, by all means come on over and straighten me out. But the constant checking while geese are flying or during prime time archery is B.S. in my opinion and is just a wco creating busy work.

I understand that I have been observed from afar and not checked before, but really,

If someone is not committing a violation, why in god's name would a wco walk up and check thier license.

I hope that this irks a state trooper some day to the point that they pull over every wco they see on the road and check to see if they have a drivers license. (driving after all is a highly regulated activity as well).

I am not trying to degrade any wco's or pick a fight with any of them, it is just the mentality that totally escapes me.

Bear in mind this has happened to me about 5 times in my hunting career and it still bugs me this bad.

Better too far back, than too far forward.

77 Replies Related Threads

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 10:05:10 (permalink)
    I feel the same way. It happens more often than I care for.  I consider it harassment.   When our group is all blinded and covered up to the letter, it sucks to have a uniformed officer in the decoys with birds in the air.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 11:08:09 (permalink)
    Walking into the woods to check licenses is the gateway to people hunting while blind drunk, hunting over bait, hunting with no orange etc. If officers only check licenses at vehicles they would miss a lot of serious game violations. Why would you walk up to check a license? To make sure someone has a license.

It doesn't come anywhere near constituting harassment.

A police officer cannot legally just pull you over to check your license. When you're out hunting in the woods or standing by a vehicle anyone can walk up to you. That includes Game officers.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 12:03:48 (permalink)
    I dont care if im checked in the field......but you gotta give credit to game officers.....A police officer has to fear anyone he pulls over may be carrying a weapon...however a game officer knows everyone he approaches has a gun/weapon and is generally loaded

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 14:34:17 (permalink)
    I do give them credit. However checking licenses just to stay busy is B.S. in my opinion. I have a limited number of days in the field and it stinks to have someone walk in to yours stand a half hour before dark or after daylight and scatter all the game within a quarter mile.

I take my time to ensure that I do everything according to the rules, so unless you see me breaking a law, in my opinion you have no reason to be checking my license.

Just as a state trooper has no reason to pull you over to check your driver's license unless he suspects wrong doing of some sort.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 15:16:00 (permalink)
    The trooper CANNOT pull you over unless you have broken some law, or your vehicle fits the description of one that they're looking for for any number of reasons. Its not a matter of troopers not pulling you over just to check your license because it would be a****move, they can't, legally. You don't need PC to check a license. The analogy fails because your trooper pulling you over example isn't legal.

OHWM
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: License checks 2010/11/09 18:55:52 (permalink)
    Been checked several times.  Once I was sitting on steep hillside above a road on the first Saturday of rifle.  It was about an hour after daylight, primetime. Green truck pulled up, waved me down of the hill and checked my license.  This was about 15-18 years ago.  I wasn't too happy. 

The worst was when I was helping my buddy drag a deer he got during the flintlock season.  This was in Allegheny county.  Green truck pulled up, asked me what I was hunting.  I said rabbits as I had a shotgun and a game vest full of 8 shot.

I was asked to put my hands on the hood and spread my legs. I had no idea why till afterwards.  They told me they were looking for slugs in my posession.  I was humiliated standing on the side of the road. I was clean but not impressed.

I have had many good experiences as well.

My rifle is a black rifle
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 06:30:13 (permalink)
    Aren't ypu a DCNR park Ranger ???
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

The trooper CANNOT pull you over unless you have broken some law, or your vehicle fits the description of one that they're looking for for any number of reasons. Its not a matter of troopers not pulling you over just to check your license because it would be a****move, they can't, legally. You don't need PC to check a license. The analogy fails because your trooper pulling you over example isn't legal.

Just as it should be with the WCOS also, if you do not have PC that I am comitting a violation leave me alone.....Should be illegal, interfeering with a legal hunt...

Got the spread eagle on the hood once as I was moving a treestand on a Sunday, came out of the woods with my removeable ladder and they tried to say I was hunting..Searched me high and "LOW for a weapon and or ammo...
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/11/10 06:32:54

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 06:59:32 (permalink)
    I used to hunt this 9 acer private property and one morning i was waiting for legal shooting time to take a nice buck. Then I hear a scuffle look and here comes a game officer. Darn what the heck i thought.he walks right up under my stand. And ask for my license. OK here it is then he tries to tell me that I don't have permission to be here. I said well sure i do. then he said that him and his buddies are the only ones aloud to hunt this property. Well I had to get down and tell him who owns this property and that I was the only one aloud to hunt it PERIOD!!!! So I said lets walk up the hill and talk to the owner who was blow leaves out of this yard. Well needless to say he didn't want to bother the guy. yeah right I said now you can get the heck out of here. so he then told me to be careful that he would be watching me JUST HAD LAUGH at him as he walked away. BE SAFE AND GOOD LUCK Dave

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 07:59:04 (permalink)
    I have never, not one time NOT been checked when I've crossed paths with a WCO or deputy. I was checked two times by the same WCO in the same location in as many days.

Job justification in pursuit of revenue.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 08:25:54 (permalink)
    That would be the day I walked down from my hunting spot on a steep hill for them to check my license! more like you want to check me walk up here, I don't think thats breaking any laws. As far as them checking my license in my stand, That would really pee me off. I think there might be a little conflict there and I'm not much of a person to give law enforcement trouble. It's not right to check you while hunting in a stand.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 08:34:11 (permalink)
    I can't say I have ever been checked for a license by a WCO from the PGC, but I was checked for a license by a WCO from the PFBC -- while fishing Fisherman's Paradise -- in front of the Stack House -- while a WCO training session was going on.  The odds of catching someone not having a license in that situation would be about as favorable as winning the Power Ball without buying a ticket.

Oh, I had a monster trout on at the time and they would not wait for me to land it and demanded to see my license -- "Right Now!!!"  Of course, I lost the fish.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 08:38:40 (permalink)
    Sometimes I think it is harassment.
    A few examples are:  While floating down a river duck hunting we get near our take out and out pops this
    pgo and asked if our guns are loaded. Yes we are duck hunting.
    Unload those guns and paddle here, he says. He checks our license then says he is writing us up for hunting
    out of a moving boat. Ah...we,re on a river. As my buddy gives him an ear beating on the laws he decides to
    give us a warning, ya right.
    Next is when my son is 13 and on his first turkey hunt. Had a great time with the birds talking but no shots.
    Walked to the truck and out of the brush pops this guy. Same deal. It is not 1 o clock yet , he checks the guns then the shells.
    A few of my shells have no markings due to being in my vest for ever. He writes me up for unlawful shells.
    Same shells as the ones with markings. Offer to cut the shells open and compare the size. Noooo...he gives me a fine.
    Mad as all get out but can,t afford to fight it and miss work and classes I was taking, I paid it.
    My son got a learning experience there.
    Then got picked at Pymy for a goose blind. Birds didn,t fly for a few hrs. then here they come.
    They were coming closer to us and man I,m stoked. Then for no reason they decide to head the other way. Poke our heads up as we hear shots going off several blinds down. There in our deacs are two wardens and checks our shots,guns, and license.
    Never got a shot off. Why in the world would they have to come to our blinds to do that?
    I hunt the wire at Shenango offen and watch the green truck dump dead deer off in a pit for roadkill.
    Afterwards it never fails, they drive to me and check me. 3 times in one two week span.
    I am a sportsman, do not intentionaly break laws. So don,t you think that one time would be enough.

I have freinds who are game man., wardens, deputies so I,m not saying all are bad or wrong but come on.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 09:16:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Aren't ypu a DCNR park Ranger ???

Just as it should be with the WCOS also, if you do not have PC that I am comitting a violation leave me alone.....Should be illegal, interfeering with a legal hunt...

Got the spread eagle on the hood once as I was moving a treestand on a Sunday, came out of the woods with my removeable ladder and they tried to say I was hunting..Searched me high and "LOW for a weapon and or ammo...

Interfering with a legal hunt isn't against any law. Would people hiking through where you hunt be breaking the law then?

Any officer can walk up to people they find and talk to them, and ask to see ID (same idea as a license). No different in the hunting world.

Like I said, checking people while they're out hunting is by far the best way to find people committing all kinds of violations. If people weren't checked in the stand finding people hunting over baited stands, hunting while drunk, hunting in safety areas, and hunting without the required orange would be very difficult.

Having your license checked while out hunting may be a pain, but its the best way for fish and game officers to find people committing crimes.

Yes, I am a DCNR Ranger, so I check hunting/fishing licenses in the park.

OHWM
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 10:01:55 (permalink)
    I'm speaking more on archery hunting where your little walk in the woods could blow a hunters dream buck, load the area with human odor. I'm in favor of checking hunters and fisherman BUT a little common sense should be used. I can guarantee I won't get checked cause I'm hunting private property. You better have a good reason for being there or you may have a legal issue. If I'm on public land then I have to deal with being checked. We get checked every year a couple times while on the roads going from drive to drive in buck season. They have always been cool and none of us ever fined. We were warned about not having I.D a couple times but thats about it.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 10:05:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

I'm speaking more on archery hunting where your little walk in the woods could blow a hunters dream buck, load the area with human odor. I'm in favor of checking hunters and fisherman BUT a little common sense should be used. I can guarantee I won't get checked cause I'm hunting private property. You better have a good reason for being there or you may have a legal issue. If I'm on public land then I have to deal with being checked. We get checked every year a couple times while on the roads going from drive to drive in buck season. They have always been cool and none of us ever fined. We were warned about not having I.D a couple times but thats about it.

The public/private land thing is a big point too. People hunting on SGL's, Parks, State or National forests are using land that everyone recreates on, so WCOs walking up isn't any different in my eyes to people doing any other non-hunting recreation and interupting a hunt. It may be an annoyance, but its part of multiple use outdoor areas.

OHWM
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 10:09:12 (permalink)
    my favorite is when the PGC sets-up road hunters with the mechanical deer. My unlce saw the fake deer out along a back road in Clarion Co. so he decided to pull over, walk out to the deer and knock if over...boy was the WCO ticked
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 10:11:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

The public/private land thing is a big point too. People hunting on SGL's, Parks, State or National forests are using land that everyone recreates on, so WCOs walking up isn't any different in my eyes to people doing any other non-hunting recreation and interupting a hunt. It may be an annoyance, but its part of multiple use outdoor areas.

Oddly enough I've hunted SGL every year since I was 12 (now I'm 24) and I've yet to been checked, but I've been checked handful of times on posted property that my extended family owns....
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 11:03:54 (permalink)
    Let's see if I got this right...

you guys would rather the WCOs stay out of the woods.... do not approach a hunter in a tree stand... just ride around checking parking lots....

well let's see... let's make that the NEW law.. now I will not have to but licenses.. just take my chances parking in a secluded spot, going into the woods in the dark and coming out in the dark or when there is not a vehicle sitting there waiting for me.

Maybe just buy a regular license and claim to be returning from hunting coyotes or small game with my crossbow, or shotgun with a slug in my pocket after I quit hunting deer and before I reach the parking lot..
    could never get bused that way.... just have to make sure about the flo-orange rules at the time...

outlaws would not fear a thing if something like that became the law...

Folks are caught every year around here without the proper license for what they are hunting when busted by the WCO in the woods HUNTING.. (no archery, bear, or doe tags)... also gets guys taking the flo-orange off when in the woods ..

I can not count the times I have been checked over the years, but as mentioned that's a draw-back for hunting public land ... but it also keeps the folks using them more honest, because they never know where or when they will be checked...

two stories I think are good examples of WCOs doing their job and you guys won't....

I was parked talking to a deputy WCO... a young boy crosses the road during archery season...

we see no license on his back.. the deputy wco checks and it's under his hood... has the boy call for his dad or adult since he is a junior hunter.. The boy states he was out walking (driving) deer for his dad and he was about 100 yards away in the woods... ... finally the guy comes and they get warnings for not properly displaying a license and hunting too far away from the adult... the deputy did not know or check the adult at this time .. just a polite warning since it involved a kid...

The very next week the regular WCO finds the very same dad hunting and he does not have a license.. it was suspended for violations of the game code a year before........

finally FYI ... I think "robo deer" is the greatest.. I just love the stories from the WCOs about folks they catch shooting at it... one would think that by now everyone knows the PGC uses "robo deer".... and still every year they catch folks shooting at one ????

The thing I like the most is it allows me to worry a little less about hunting near a road and a deer appearing and someone just stopping and shooting and never thinking about looking to see if I am sitting there looking and waiting for that same deer to approach location.. ... I have nothing but disrespect and hatred for road-hunters (shooters).. LOCK THEM ALL UP for 90 days is my view........

yep.. stay out of the woods and do not interfere in someone's hunt.... no "robo deer" ==

do you think maybe guys are taking this deer hunting a little to far in seriousness????

It's just a deer for GOD's sake -----

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 11:21:21 (permalink)
    Doc: I'm lucky enough to live on a small family farm down in Allegheny county (I know, a paradox right?). But it means a small population of deer in a basically urban area that doesn't get hunted much. There are some big bucks here, between my fiance's dad and brother in law they've taken some very nice bucks off the property in the last 5 years or so. Guess what percentage have had .22 bullets in them somewhere when they're butchered...100%. My fiance's brother in law took a huge buck last year, had 3 .22 slugs in it, and a perfectly cylindrical furrow on the top of one of its beams. Pretty sad.

OHWM
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 11:27:54 (permalink)
    I spoke to a Pgc officer last year.  He was setting up on some aniti's harrassing hunters(who were legally hunting).  He told me its a big fine and was pursueing issue. 

So I have a question.  Who is wright you or the pgc???  I have no idea now!
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 11:48:44 (permalink)
    Look at the PA harrassment laws. Someone walking in the woods interupting a hunt by accident, a WCO checking licenses, and someone purposely harrassing someone are all different things.

§ 2709. Harassment.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits the crime of
    harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another,
    the person:
    (1) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the
    other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to
    do the same;
    (2) follows the other person in or about a public place
    or places;
    (3) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits
    acts which serve no legitimate purpose;
    (4) communicates to or about such other person any lewd,
    lascivious, threatening or obscene words, language, drawings
    or caricatures;
    (5) communicates repeatedly in an anonymous manner;
    (6) communicates repeatedly at extremely inconvenient
    hours; or
    (7) communicates repeatedly in a manner other than
    specified in paragraphs (4), (5) and (6).

Checking licenses doesn't fall into any of those categories. A WCO has no intent of harass someone, just to make sure they're not committing a crime. Someone walking a dog or hiking where you hunt, while annoying, is also not harassment. Someone who is anti-hunter aggressively harassing you is, well, harassing you.

OHWM
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 12:16:42 (permalink)
    About the only time I would mind is while on stand deer hunting. If I was approached by an officer just checking to see my license, I'd be pretty pizzed off! Its not often that I am able to get out and hunt much anymore (I only archery hunt for deer since the PAGC screwed up the whole thrill of gun hunting for me in this state), so if I was approached, my hunt would pretty much be ruined for the day. However, this is a pretty rare event, it has only happened to me once since I've been archery hunting. The corteous/logical thing for a WCO to do is wait at your vehicle until you're done hunting. I would think this should apply to gun hunting as well except the deer don't really move in their natural state much during gun hunting, so it wouldn't be as crucial to your hunt. Small game....no biggie, check away.

Also funny how they suddenly start popping up right around gun season....where are they the rest of the hunting season which is probably 99.99% of the time?? LOL

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 12:26:54 (permalink)
    I never said I didn't want them in the woods. I said I don't think that just checking a license is reason enough to come to my stand and interrupt my hunt.

I would like to see them have to have probable cause to disrupt the few hours a week I get to be in the woods. If they have probable cause, then fine.

My point was that I see no difference between a Drivers license and a hunting license and think they should be treated the same.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 12:30:59 (permalink)

I'm calling BS here....a trooper can pull you over whenever he wants and theres nothing you can "legally" do about it. What are you going to do, sue him or take a trooper to court for pulling you over for no reason?? LOL Theres ALWAYS something a trooper can say which will give him some reasonable suspicion to pull you over, trust me.

If you have nothing to hide, everyone should just quit their bit#*ing and let these WCOs and Police do their jobs....I'd like to see MORE enforcement personally within reasonable perameters which doesn't include deep in the woods while you're on stand and hunting. Just my .02

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 12:56:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Let's see if I got this right...

you guys would rather the WCOs stay out of the woods.... do not approach a hunter in a tree stand... just ride around checking parking lots....

well let's see... let's make that the NEW law.. now I will not have to but licenses.. just take my chances parking in a secluded spot, going into the woods in the dark and coming out in the dark or when there is not a vehicle sitting there waiting for me.

Maybe just buy a regular license and claim to be returning from hunting coyotes or small game with my crossbow, or shotgun with a slug in my pocket after I quit hunting deer and before I reach the parking lot..
    could never get bused that way.... just have to make sure about the flo-orange rules at the time...

outlaws would not fear a thing if something like that became the law...

Folks are caught every year around here without the proper license for what they are hunting when busted by the WCO in the woods HUNTING.. (no archery, bear, or doe tags)... also gets guys taking the flo-orange off when in the woods ..

I can not count the times I have been checked over the years, but as mentioned that's a draw-back for hunting public land ... but it also keeps the folks using them more honest, because they never know where or when they will be checked...

two stories I think are good examples of WCOs doing their job and you guys won't....

I was parked talking to a deputy WCO... a young boy crosses the road during archery season...

we see no license on his back.. the deputy wco checks and it's under his hood... has the boy call for his dad or adult since he is a junior hunter.. The boy states he was out walking (driving) deer for his dad and he was about 100 yards away in the woods... ... finally the guy comes and they get warnings for not properly displaying a license and hunting too far away from the adult... the deputy did not know or check the adult at this time .. just a polite warning since it involved a kid...

The very next week the regular WCO finds the very same dad hunting and he does not have a license.. it was suspended for violations of the game code a year before........

finally FYI ... I think "robo deer" is the greatest.. I just love the stories from the WCOs about folks they catch shooting at it... one would think that by now everyone knows the PGC uses "robo deer".... and still every year they catch folks shooting at one ????

The thing I like the most is it allows me to worry a little less about hunting near a road and a deer appearing and someone just stopping and shooting and never thinking about looking to see if I am sitting there looking and waiting for that same deer to approach location.. ... I have nothing but disrespect and hatred for road-hunters (shooters).. LOCK THEM ALL UP for 90 days is my view........

yep.. stay out of the woods and do not interfere in someone's hunt.... no "robo deer" ==

do you think maybe guys are taking this deer hunting a little to far in seriousness????

Theres obviously a lot of grey area, especially when hunting is involved. You're correct in your thinking to a certain extent, but also obviously do not understand hunting much either. Its all about judgment and common courtesy really. WCOs should be expected to use their judgment while patrolling. To investigate scenes and typically know when something unlawful is suspected. Heres a scenario....lets say you're fishing a nice pod of fish and a WCO walks right across the stream through the pod of fish to come check your license - will you be OK with that?....Now you can multiply that extreme by 10 when he comes into your patch of woods leaving his scent everywhere to drag you out of your treestand. They are people too and expected to act with respect also....I've seen some good ones and bad ones....as always there are DI#*S in every facet of life.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 14:32:27 (permalink)
    Doc wrote===do you think maybe guys are taking this deer hunting a little to far in seriousness????

==You have to remember that Doc's deer hunting experience mostly consists of hunting semi tame doe in his back yard that are used to being fed and have much human contact. He has no real clue about the steps serious hunters take to keep an area free of human scent or how a single incident of human contact at your stand location can ruin that spot for the season when hunting older bucks. That inexperience shows when you consider how many older bucks he has killed in his lifetime. To me a warden walking into my archery stand during legal hours for no reason other than to check my license is "Hunter Harrasment". I will also say it has never happened to me in a lifetime of hunting. I have however, been checked when I came out.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 14:40:42 (permalink)

(34 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 2302 (1996))

TITLE 34. GAME
    PENNSYLVANIA CONSOLIDATED STATUTES
    CHAPTER 23. HUNTING AND FURTAKING
    SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 2302. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title prohibited
    (A) GENERAL RULE.-- Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for another person at the location where the activity is taking place to intentionally obstruct or interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title.

(A.1) ACTIVITIES WHICH VIOLATE SECTION.-- A person violates this section when he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) drives or disturbs wildlife for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife where another person is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;
    (2) blocks, impedes or otherwise harasses another person who is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;

(3) uses natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimuli to affect wildlife behavior in order to hinder or prevent the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities;

(4) creates or erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities may occur;

(5) interjects himself into the line of fire;

(6) affects the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities in order to impair its usefulness or prevent its use;

(7) enters or remains upon public lands or upon private lands without permission of the owner or their agent, with intent to violate this section; or

(8) fails to obey the order of any officer whose duty it is to enforce any of the laws of this Commonwealth where such officer observes any conduct which violates this section or has reasonable grounds to believe that any person intends to engage in such conduct.

(B) ENFORCEMENT AND RECOVERY OF DAMAGES.-- The commission or any person who is lawfully engaged in the taking, hunting or trapping of game or wildlife who is directly affected by a violation of this section may bring an action to restrain conduct declared unlawful in this section and to recover damages.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 14:58:08 (permalink)
    These laws don't seem to apply for the WCO's. They seem to make their own laws up as they go. I have been harassed and checked while in the field a few times with no apparent reason. Once I was on private property on a Sunday and was tracked by a WCO who claimed he was out for a walk. No wonder there is a decrease in license sales. The PGC is a mess.
    ORIGINAL: S-10

(34 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 2302 (1996))

TITLE 34. GAME
    PENNSYLVANIA CONSOLIDATED STATUTES
    CHAPTER 23. HUNTING AND FURTAKING
    SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 2302. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title prohibited
    (A) GENERAL RULE.-- Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for another person at the location where the activity is taking place to intentionally obstruct or interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title.

(A.1) ACTIVITIES WHICH VIOLATE SECTION.-- A person violates this section when he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) drives or disturbs wildlife for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife where another person is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;
    (2) blocks, impedes or otherwise harasses another person who is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;

(3) uses natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimuli to affect wildlife behavior in order to hinder or prevent the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities;

(4) creates or erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities may occur;

(5) interjects himself into the line of fire;

(6) affects the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities in order to impair its usefulness or prevent its use;

(7) enters or remains upon public lands or upon private lands without permission of the owner or their agent, with intent to violate this section; or

(8) fails to obey the order of any officer whose duty it is to enforce any of the laws of this Commonwealth where such officer observes any conduct which violates this section or has reasonable grounds to believe that any person intends to engage in such conduct.

(B) ENFORCEMENT AND RECOVERY OF DAMAGES.-- The commission or any person who is lawfully engaged in the taking, hunting or trapping of game or wildlife who is directly affected by a violation of this section may bring an action to restrain conduct declared unlawful in this section and to recover damages.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: License checks 2010/11/10 15:28:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I'm calling BS here....a trooper can pull you over whenever he wants and theres nothing you can "legally" do about it. What are you going to do, sue him or take a trooper to court for pulling you over for no reason?? LOL Theres ALWAYS something a trooper can say which will give him some reasonable suspicion to pull you over, trust me.

If you have nothing to hide, everyone should just quit their bit#*ing and let these WCOs and Police do their jobs....I'd like to see MORE enforcement personally within reasonable perameters which doesn't include deep in the woods while you're on stand and hunting. Just my .02

Actually, suing is exactly what you would do. Without PC its not a legal stop. You can choose to believe officers make things up to provide PC, but what I stated is true.

OHWM
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: