Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
lazyboatingdaze
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/06 13:51:38 (permalink)

RUT..Action????

Has anyone been seeing any good rut action?   It has been Slow down sw PA.  

61 Replies Related Threads

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/06 14:06:49 (permalink)
    i argee on that lazy....whats the deal!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/06 19:32:10 (permalink)
    Washington and Allegheny, action was great for me last week.  Today I was in two different stands most of the day in Washington looking for another doe and it was the slowest day for me in awhile. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/06 20:27:56 (permalink)
    Overnight change; After having very cold nights earlier this past week our hopes for some rutting action had us wondering if we had any bucks looking for does. Very few were seen and most were small bucks. On Thursday morning everything went into a frenzy that was a pleasant suprise. 5 bow hunters from our group all saw bucks and 2 of them were chasing does. Yesterday(Fri.) we got 2 eight points. One was a small 8 and the other was a 16 in. eight pt. Larger bucks were seen and we hope the hot action will continue. It was like some-one turned on a magic switch and said "Let the rut begin". This is in lower Somerset Co.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 07:10:22 (permalink)
    No rut action for me yesterday but the old man saw a few smaller bucks running doe.The last 2 times we hunted this spot the old man could of killed legal bucks.He saw one of the shooter yesterday we had on cam.It was a super thick rack main frame 8.The buck i left go might of been looking for doe not sure but he was interested in my buck decoy.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 07:42:51 (permalink)
    In my neck of the woods the action usually slows down sometime around Nov 4-8.  I used to take these days off and Ive hit the prime breeding days with my vacation before.  Usually picks back up by the last 3-4 days of archery.  I would think that you folks in the southern counties might see your best chasing these days with the lock down near the end of the season.

Now I try to miss the expected breeding days and target the chase and search times.  Doesn't always work though.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 11:17:24 (permalink)
    i have seen a coulpe big mature bucks with their does. meaning the does must be putten off some kind of smell. as for the smaller bucks, they are hitten the scrapes pretty heavy. i have not seen a mature buck hit the scrapes. thr mature ones are following the does.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 13:53:23 (permalink)
    The only buck I have seen chasing a doe was back on the 19th of October.  I was on vacation this past week and have seen 6 different bucks and about a dozen doe.  None of the doe had bucks with them.  And the bucks were just out walkin the woods.  Havent seen any freshening of scrapes.  One large fresh rub a couple days ago.  Thats it.  1A 
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 15:38:59 (permalink)
    Armstrong county has been on fire the last week. Most bucks seen were crusing the woods. Did see a monster pushing a doe around noon last Saturday while coming back from lunch in the truck.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/07 16:25:05 (permalink)
    I found a thing on pro hunter journal it's called the rut cheat sheet.They claim that the breeding cycle will be late this year becaue of the second full moon also known as the rutting moon is not till november 21.If anyone is going bear hunting with a rifle take a bleat can and a camera and let us know how it turns out.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/08 08:54:31 (permalink)
    Sat in the stand until 10am on Sat. hoping for a turkey to wander by and didn't see a deer.  I was in a great funnel that has always produced in the past.  Not sure why but the deer weren't moving on Sat. AM in my area.  Saw one other hunter that was on the adjacent property but up on top of the hill and he didn't see a deer either.  I took a little walk after I got down and didn't even bump anything.

I'll be fishing later this week...
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/08 11:01:55 (permalink)
    I hunted 4 days last week, and saw 7 bucks, and 2 does. The bucks were cruising, but not chasing, and the does were not being tailed by a buck.

I missed what would be my biggest buck to date on Wednesday. On the bright side, I did harvest a nice maple tree with a spread of about 1.5".
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/08 16:39:00 (permalink)
    Well this only happened to me once in my life and it was Thursday Nov 4- 2010,I went squirrel hunting in a very open oak woods,I've killed a couple deer there but would not call it prime deer woods,8:00 am a doe comes busting by me,and nice 8pt,15-16 inches is in hot pursut,followed by a little 6 pt,and a smaller 4 pt,the show goes on till 8:45,and as close as 35 yards away,the doe goes to my right on the ridge and the nice 8 goes with her,the two other bucks see me and leave.I move a 100yards to my left out the ridge,and lean up on a tree,a really nice 8pt walks past me at 40 yards nose into the wind,five minutes later a dark horn 6 pt (not the same one ) follows the 8 pt. THATS 5 bucks and 1 hot doe,it was a morning I'll never forget.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/08 19:46:49 (permalink)
    My brother missed a nice 9 at 8:00 a.m. today.He said it had it's nose to the ground an was on a mission.It was 16 yards he shot over it's back and it never ran just put it's nose back on the ground.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/08 19:51:33 (permalink)
    I was out till 10:30.  Saw three different bucks chasing and one cruising. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 07:26:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I hunted 4 days last week, and saw 7 bucks, and 2 does. The bucks were cruising, but not chasing, and the does were not being tailed by a buck.

I missed what would be my biggest buck to date on Wednesday. On the bright side, I did harvest a nice maple tree with a spread of about 1.5".

I call BS, that maple was 1.25" at the most - you were holding it way out in front when the picture was taken to make it look bigger.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 12:01:33 (permalink)
    Another thought to be perfect morning (25 F, not a wisp of wind, crunchy leaves, slight misty fog)and from the tree only saw 2 small doe fawns out in a field then heard another hunter on the adjacent property using a buck roar, I think.  Got down around 9am to get to work and walked up on a small doe.  She got to within 10 yds then bolted.  Took a walk around the property border and saw two new treestands from guys I know don't have permission.  I think this area is just being saturated with human stank and its keeping the deer away.  Why can't guys hunt where they have permission or at least have the courtesy to ask the landowner of this property?  On the other end of the property saw a stand on Sat. with about 15 tree steps screwed into a 20" diameter oak tree.  Now that will get your blood boiling...

Kicked out some more deer on the way back to the truck but never did see them. 

Not boding too well for next year, that is for sure.

Definitely time for some fishing.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 14:02:55 (permalink)
    Was out this morning till noon.  Best action was from 9:00 to 12:00.  Saw two 8 points and a four point.  One of the 8's was pushing the same doe for about an hour.  They came past me three times and I finally missed her.  Underneath I do believe.  I guessed for 28 yards and it was 34. 

I got pics of the bucks.  I may get to posting them later.
    post edited by dpms - 2010/11/09 14:03:30

rhomer20
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 19:22:53 (permalink)
    Buck tag is filled already but went out this evening for a doe. Also brought the girl friend along with her shotgun for some squirrels and hopefully to see some rutting action. I wasnt getting my hopes up too much since we were just sitting on a dead fall, not on stand. 1 squirrel, 11 doe and a 5 point. Where the heck were the big boys? No chasing, no grunting. Locked down? Or just wasnt a "hot one" in the bunch....Does stayed just out of range, pleasantly chomping on acorns.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 21:13:50 (permalink)
    Was out this morning, on the opposing hillside about a 100 yards away, a buck was chasing the heck outta a doe, never saw him, saw the doe flying around though.. heard him grunt aggresively once, then he grunted 3 times and he answered my grunt to him. never came to though, that was all before 8am. left the stand around 1030 got back in my stand around 2:40. 3 oclock came, chainsaws lit up the woods for firewood. 315 a doe comes flying down the hill with her fawn B.B, with her mouth gasping for air. i thought it was odd at the time.....3-5 minutes maybe later, i heard another deer coming down the hill, i put 2 and 2 together......got ready and here the buck came dogging her fast.

got a shot at him at 6 yards, decent 8 point. weird deer though, his lower jaw bone is shorter then his nose muzzle, and about the littlest deer(buck) i've shot in awhile..i havent weighed him yet though.

As far as my whole "rut season" from the stand i've seen now 2 bucks chasing(one being mine). and only 4 bucks cruising, i've seen better in the past. driving around, last weekcloser to halloween i saw 2, one being a very exceptional 8 point(130 range) chasing does hard. im not saying the rut is nearly over, just for me it wasnt that exciting, and it wont get any more exciting now that im not in the woods lol
    Mr Twister
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 21:20:13 (permalink)
    THey are just starting to run around my place, hunted the last 2 days(vacation). I have seen a couple diff bucks and they were all startingto look for the ladies. i have tmrw to hunt and then fishin the rest of the week so hopefully it happens, had 2 close calls but no shots were presented. good luck to everyone in the last week of the season.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 22:18:54 (permalink)
    The "pre-rut" has been over around here for a week and a half.  Chase stage is over.  Some doggin' being seen but that's about it.  It's mostly lockdown around here the last week or so.
    Tough time to hunt.
    Let yet another 115"-120" 8 pt walk again this evening.  He was just feeding on the cut corn.  Had no interest in the other doe in the field.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/09 23:26:17 (permalink)
    probably cuz it wasnt in heat kenny.(or already was) i would bet the chase stage isnt over yet, just takes another doe to come along into estrus. maybe the one you saw in the feild will come into heat if it wasnt in the next few days and bring out a bruiser that you are looking for.

remember everyone! a doe only in that phase of her life no more 24-36 hours! so if u see a hot doe getting chased! id say hunt that area. 4 days left! good luck everyone and get it done son!

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 12:00:11 (permalink)
    Trust me, the chasin has been done here for over a week.  The peek of the the chase phase here happened 2 weeks ago.
    A 3yr old "scrub" 8pt. met Mr. Rage this morning at 7am.  We are glad to finally have him out of there.  He was the 7th buck to enter the field.  There was some doggin/tending goin' on this morn, including him, but no chasing.

Happened exactly the same last year too.  The last few days of the season showed a little bit of action.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 17:45:58 (permalink)
    Whats the differents from dogging or chasing? Do you know what lockdown is? The rut last as long as does come into heat (24-36 hours)(lockdown),and any does thats close will get chased,followed,dogged,run,till the time comes to get bred,by one or more bucks.I think to much Dury' brother's I your mind. It's the rut trust me,there still chasing doe's.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 18:37:01 (permalink)
    Whether rutting is occuring or not is a matter of location and timing.   Hunter A can see nothing and Hunter B can be 300 yards away in the middle of a frenzy.  Hunter A will tell B nothing is happening.  All of us have been Hunter A and B at some point but for whatever reason some folks don't think the rut is occuring if they don't see it...  At any given time, not every buck is locked down, chasing, or looking.  They are likely at different stages at the same time.  Same with doe being hot.  There is no pattern other than a progressive rise in rutting activity from the end of Sept to the peak being mid November, then a progressive decline beginning around the third week.  The doe controls the rut.  If one is hot, tornado or not, and a buck finds her, it will happen.  Every year, especially on another well known hunting site, people are saying where's the rut, no rutting action in county X, this, that.  It's occuring .. your timing and location is not where it's happening.  It's not a light switch.  It happened yesterday, it's happening now, and it will happen tomorrow.   And the next year.  It ain't gonna change.  Only we can change our location and timing. 

The only rule I like to follow is hunt the doe and be in the woods in November as much as possible.  If it's warm and/or sunny, I may take a snooze.  If I sit four hours and don't see a deer, I must not be in a good location.  It may be a good spot, but it must not be a good location at that moment.   But it can change in a second.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2010/11/10 18:38:56

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 18:43:39 (permalink)
    Good advise there. I also agree with your post. I think some guys expect to set their watch as far as peak rut goes.
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Whether rutting is occuring or not is a matter of location and timing.   Hunter A can see nothing and Hunter B can be 300 yards away in the middle of a frenzy.  Hunter A will tell B nothing is happening.  All of us have been Hunter A and B at some point but for whatever reason some folks don't think the rut is occuring if they don't see it...  At any given time, not every buck is locked down, chasing, or looking.  They are likely at different stages at the same time.  Same with doe being hot.  There is no pattern other than a progressive rise in rutting activity from the end of Sept to the peak being mid November, then a progressive decline beginning around the third week.  The doe controls the rut.  If one is hot, tornado or not, and a buck finds her, it will happen.  Every year, especially on another well known hunting site, people are saying where's the rut, no rutting action in county X, this, that.  It's occuring .. your timing and location is not where it's happening.  It's not a light switch.  It happened yesterday, it's happening now, and it will happen tomorrow.   And the next year.  It ain't gonna change.  Only we can change our location and timing. 

The only rule I like to follow is hunt the doe and be in the woods in November as much as possible.  If it's warm and/or sunny, I may take a snooze.  If I sit four hours and don't see a deer, I must not be in a good location.  It may be a good spot, but it must not be a good location at that moment.   But it can change in a second.

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 19:32:15 (permalink)
    That should sum it up for hunter A Hunter B and all the rest....
    It is very simple!!!!! One can see all of the above well into December..... LATE BLOOMERS!!!!!!
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 20:06:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

Whats the differents from dogging or chasing? Do you know what lockdown is? The rut last as long as does come into heat (24-36 hours)(lockdown),and any does thats close will get chased,followed,dogged,run,till the time comes to get bred,by one or more bucks.I think to much Dury' brother's I your mind. It's the rut trust me,there still chasing doe's.

Silver, fantastic post.

BT,
    To me, doggin' is a buck simply trailing a doe.  Not pushing her, just following her every move...at a distance.  Just like a puppy would do.
    Chasin' is full blown-out, nose-up-the-****, front hooves stomping, neck stretched out, lots of aggressive grunting, and um...running.  He wants to breed her or keep other bucks away from her.

And lockdown, he sticks closely with her for when the magical 72 hours happens.

Last week I watched a mature buck locked with a doe in a small patch of goldenrod at 70 yards.  They both got up the last half hour of the evening.  The buck bred the doe.  Afterwards, she wanted to walk down the hill into the corn, where there happened to be a dozen deer feeding.  He would not let her.  He cut off her every move and made her stay there. 
    To me, it seems they always bed in the most inconspicuous places when this occurs.  I've seen it quite a few times.

I'm very aware the rut lasts for months.  I don't need the Drury boys to tell me that, especially when I only miss a couple days the entire season for the last five years.  I only have time to watch them AFTER deer season, anyway.

Thanks for the smart-****ed response anyway.  That was funny.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: RUT..Action???? 2010/11/10 20:32:36 (permalink)
    Have to agree, Silver told it like it is and always has been.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: