help me...dont get it....

Author
bassboatbill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/02 19:17:33 (permalink)

help me...dont get it....

been out every second i get in a small patch off woods ive hunted all my life..i know of 2 great bucks that frequent there and one or 2 smaller ones...there are scrapes EVERYWHERE..rubs all over the place..i grunt...ive rattled...i mask my sent well and use trail maker sents..after weeks thin morning i seen a deer sneek by about 70 yrds away..never seen its head and it never came back....WHY am i not seeing these deer making scrapes and rubs...can it be they are elsewhere during the day and only checking them at night...i even made a mock scrape and hit it with estrus pi$$ and nothing...

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

11 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/02 19:29:41 (permalink)
    Overhunting the area and if it is just a small patch of woods, they may only be using it at night.  Need to rotate stands and locations.  I try to not hunt the same stand more than one or two sits a week.   If you don't have multiple locations then you just got to do what you have to do but you can overhunt an area. 

I'd be focusing on the does right now and funnels b/w bedding areas and feeding areas.  The bucks will be roaming checking on every doe they can until they find that special one.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/02 21:14:03 (permalink)
    Good advice given above and this is all I need to contribute: HUNT THE DOES!!!!
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/03 09:23:52 (permalink)
    I was shown some trail camera photos of 5 GREAT bucks all using the same licking branch and huge scrape.... different days and different bucks..

one thing in common they were all using the area between 3:30am and 4:30am... the owner of the camera has hunted there MANY days already and not seen a thing.... in looking at the pictures and BSing about them I noticed one thing .. in the photos that you can see the bucks leaving they are headed in one direction.... posted leased property

He said he has decided to move on to another area to hunt until rifle season....

This is one dis-advantage to trail cameras IMHO, they lead one to believe the deer they see on camera are available for them to hunt in that area.. which may not be true.. as in the example above.. the time of the photo is the key to understanding the deer in an area...

In the topic starter thread.. I'd say that is the case there.. it is being used for a short period of time during the night..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/03 09:27:00
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/03 10:40:53 (permalink)
    Doc, your buddy is missing out if he thinks those bucks are going to the leased property and staying there. They will go anyway they want to try and locate a hot doe and I will bet they will be back on the neighboring property at some point searching for does. A few years ago, my buddy had trail cam pictures of a pretty nice buck and nearly 5 miles away, on the same day, we had pictures of him. This was 4-5 miles through some highly residential areas. They will continue to move until they find a lucky lady or 10.

Did I say hunt the does yet?

I have found that in the last 2 weeks of archery, hunting scrapes is not all that effective. Hunt the more gentle slopes, funnels, and feeding areas where the does will be. If there is a hot doe in the area, it can draw bucks from all over the place.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/03 11:19:03 (permalink)
    all makes sence guys...gonna give it a break for a few...may even hunt there with the bow in rifle season..(houses too close for shotgun) anyway im going to post a aerial of the area i hunt...my 2 stand locations will be red dots if this works...

post edited by bassboatbill - 2010/11/04 11:44:11

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/03 22:36:10 (permalink)
    either way i thought that pic was awesome...lol

mathteacherrob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/03 23:00:00 (permalink)
    I'm going to say this jokingly but since it always gets brought up on the fishing boards major spot burn (the gps coordinates are at the bottom of the picture). Back to the seriousness I love how clear the pictures are from Google Earth. Good Luck and shoot straight
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/04 11:45:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mathteacherrob

(the gps coordinates are at the bottom of the picture).

where...NOOO idea what your talking about!!!

Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/04 12:36:59 (permalink)
    those deer could be alot of places...for example the south east corner, and across all three roads. im not an expert but judging from knowledge passed down and read about, if u wanna know where he lives, find his core. That can be very tricky though. that area there might not be where they live. if anything, they might be hanging closer to houses. i know deer can sit all day by a house. or be and go everywhere in a second. just all depends, not saying in the rut they wont be in there one morning chasing a doe..all bets are kinda off during this period.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/04 17:25:00 (permalink)
    having scouted and hunted a lot of suburban areas, I'd say that is a night time passing through wood. It looks really small, but also fairly open. it looks like a lot of Oak and maple trees plus a little bit of scrub. Not much holding cover during the day given how close to the roads and houses they are. No 'advantage' point where the deer can see everything but they can't be seen or make a quick getaway.

Probably the best way to hunt it would be to find their crossing paths through it and be on one at the crack of daylight. The mornings are always more quiet than evenings in those areas and you might have a chance if a doe is coming through with a buck on her tail.

Thanks,
    Rick
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: help me...dont get it.... 2010/11/04 19:15:43 (permalink)
    I'm going to disagree with Rick on this one. That buck is running 1 inch to the right of your left dot. I would almost bet my trigger finger that you walk that check out that seam and you will find a scrape line (likely one that occurs every year). I think your challenge is finding out where he hangs at night and then come in from the other side of the property in the morning. In the evening, sit back about 80 yards off that field. Good luck, Griff
    Jump to: